Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies greatest song of the 80s - Live Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse of The Heart 5 10 Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart
    Bruce Springsteen - Dancing In The Dark 10 5 Kim Carnes - Bette Davis Eyes
    Blondie - Call Me 7 10 Eurthymics - Sweet Dreams
    Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls 10 7 Belinda Carisle - Heaven is a Place on Earth

Christ. All four of my ones went out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

All four of the ones I voted for in the quarter-finals so far have all gone through to the semi-finals!

So we have our final 4

Semi final and final will be tomorrow

Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart
    Bruce Springsteen - Dancing In The Dark
    Eurthymics - Sweet Dreams
    Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls

What time you starting at?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

All four of the ones I voted for in the quarter-finals so far have all gone through to the semi-finals!

You're like that german octopus that picks the footy matches, we should commercialize your picking ability ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Kolido wrote: »
    So we have our final 4

Can you give us an idea of what time the voting will be kicking off at tomorrow?

Lets kick off at 10am, seems like a reasonable time.

Last 3 matches will be time base, no vote quota.

Well, that's all ten of my nominations gone then*. :( Happy that my two that made the quarter finals went out to strong opposition. Honestly I'm still mostly bitter about Simple Minds going out so early. >_<;

Hoping for a Bruce Springsteen v Joy Division final now - hopefully they don't meet in the semis!

*I gave Kolido an extra five "reserves" to use for the qualifiers if they were needed, so really I'm 0/15. :o Some were already nominated anyway though. /waves @ LeVar

*I gave Kolido an extra five "reserves" to use for the qualifiers if they were needed, so really I'm 0/15. :o Some were already nominated anyway though. /waves @ LeVar

Ooooh, which ones?

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

Edge of Seventeen :p

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Raging Belinda Carlisle is gone. Was hoping that would go all the way, of the last 8. Bruce and the pet shop boys my last hope, though I dont really think of Bruce as being an 80s song. Just a good song. Pet shop boys would be a very 80s though.

Dont stand so close to me was the song that got the furthest for me and probably the one I least expected to

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

15 nominations were allowed? Why am I only finding this out now??? :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Rikand wrote: »
    Raging Belinda Carlisle is gone. Was hoping that would go all the way, of the last 8. Bruce and the pet shop boys my last hope, though I dont really think of Bruce as being an 80s song. Just a good song. Pet shop boys would be a very 80s though.

Dont stand so close to me was the song that got the furthest for me and probably the one I least expected to

Bruce is my last pick standing. Quite surprised he made it all the way to the semis, I thought Living on a Prayer and Sweet Child O'Mine would be the best finishers for me

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Ya synths are very much a sound of the 80s. At least with guitar bands they have always had a presence in every decade in some form or other.

Just had a quick google of the biggest selling acts of the 80s. Got the albums (UK) and none of those acts are on the remaining list.

1 Brothers in Arms Dire Straits
    2 Bad Michael Jackson
    3 Thriller Michael Jackson
    5 Kylie Kylie Minogue
    6 Whitney Whitney Houston
    7 Tango in the Night Fleetwood Mac
    8 No Jacket Required
    9 The Joshua Tree U2
    10 True Blue Madonna

Top selling singles of 1980s (UK)

1 "Do They Know It's Christmas?" Band Aid
    2 "Relax" Frankie Goes to Hollywood
    3 "I Just Called to Say I Love You" Stevie Wonder
    4 "Two Tribes" Frankie Goes to Hollywood
    5 "Don't You Want Me" The Human League
    6 "Last Christmas"/"Everything She Wants"
    7 "Karma Chameleon" Culture Club
    8 "Careless Whisper" George Michael
    9 "The Power of Love" Jennifer Rush
    10 "Come On Eileen" Dexys Midnight Runners & the Emerald Express
    11 "Tainted Love" Soft Cell
    12 "Eye of the Tiger" Survivor
    13 "Blue Monday" New Order
    14 "Stand and Deliver" Adam and the Ants
    15 "Especially for You" Kylie Minogue and Jason Donovan
    16 "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" Tight Fit
    17 "Fame" Irene Cara
    18 "Ghostbusters" Ray Parker, Jr.
    19 "Uptown Girl" Billy Joel
    20 "Ride On Time" Black Box

Actually I'd have to read through it again, but not one of the remaining 8 songs are in the top 100 best selling singles of the 1980s. That's quite amazing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_singles_of_the_1980s_in_the_United_Kingdom

Cant believe I forgot about careless whisper in my noms. Actually I thought it was 90s, just misremembered. One of my all time favourites

Edge of Seventeen :p

Nice. Great minds and all that. Shame many of the heathens voting throughout the competition wouldn't know a good song if it kicked them up the hole... :rolleyes:

And before anyone gets offended...

giphy.gif

quickbeam wrote: »
    15 nominations were allowed? Why am I only finding this out now??? :)

Nah, that was just me being helpful (and chancing my arm). :D I did specifically say "only if you need some more fillers" and not block anyone else's nominations, 200 songs is quite a lot to be fair.

Also I may have been drinking at the time. >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Rikand wrote: »
    Cant believe I forgot about careless whisper in my noms. Actually I thought it was 90s, just misremembered. One of my all time favourites

That is hilarious considering that it was released in 1984, nowhere near the '90s!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I'd have voted Edge of Seventeen to the end with you. Love that song since I first heard thanks to this comp

Necro wrote: »
    I'd have voted Edge of Seventeen to the end with you. Love that song since I first heard thanks to this comp

giphy.gif

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,286 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

After taking pretty much no part beyond making nominations would anyone be able to repost the original songs so I can be mad at everyone for their horrid taste in music

• Registered Users Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Kolido wrote: »
    So we have our final 4

In a decade that was synonymous with the Power Ballad, an asterisk will forever have to be applied to any mention of this competition given that there isn't a sign of one in the semi-finals.

P.S. I'm in the US Kolido so you need to point out to everyone that when you mean voting is starting tomorrow at 10:00am, you actually mean 3:00pm Irish time. ;) Right???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Missed out due to a work meeting.

All I can say is, you guys fucked up.

In a decade that was synonymous with the Power Ballad, an asterisk will forever have to be applied to any mention of this competition given that there isn't a sign of one in the semi-finals.

P.S. I'm in the US Kolido so you need to point out to everyone that when you mean voting is starting tomorrow at 10:00am, you actually mean 3:00pm Irish time. ;) Right???

Sorry, just seeing this now. If you want to pm me the four in order of preference with a reason, I can vote for you.

I suspect Im too late in replying though.

Semi Finals

Please give a reason for your vote
    Song with highest vote count after 1 hour

SF/Match 1

1984 / US #2 UK #4 Ire #2

vs

1984 / US #1 UK #1 Ire #2

I will call match 1 at 11, have to join a call now so posted it slightly early.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

West End Girls-
    When I think of the sound of the 80's for me this is more it. I like dancing in the dark but I don't think of it as a "classic 80's" track I think it could be a song from any decade from the 60's to 90's. West End Girls could only be an 80's song

Kolido wrote:

Bruce, the Boss.

My last pick standing and one of my favourite of his songs.

• Advertisement

SF1: Dancing in the Dark
    Probably my favourite Springsteen track, with very 80's synths and a great sax riff to close. West End Girls is grand but can't compete with the Boss.

Advertisement