Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies greatest song of the 80s - Live Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Big Vern

Joy Division - one of my all time favourite songs.

Kim Carnes-im a big Bruce fan but always liked this track, such a cool song.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

honeybear wrote: »
    Bonnie & Bruce

Don't forget to give reasons for your vote to count :D

Bonnie Tyler - Love Will Tear Us Apart is a beaut but I have to stick with Bonnie, just stirs that bit more inside me.

Kim Carnes - I literally flipped a coin for this one. Tails won. I love them both.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

honeybear wrote: »
    Bonnie & Bruce

Please add a reason for your vote to count.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart - Haunting post-punk love song. Plus I can't stand the other song!

Bruce Springsteen - Dancing In the Dark - Enjoyable, but not brilliant. The other song is barely okay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Bonnie great 80s sound
    Kim - I like Bruce too but this is more quintessential 80s.

Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse of The Heart 5 10 Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart
    Bruce Springsteen - Dancing In The Dark 10 5 Kim Carnes - Bette Davis Eyes

QF/Match 3

Blondie - Call Me

vs       

Eurthymics - Sweet Dreams

QF/Match 4

Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls

vs       

Belinda Carisle - Heaven is a Place on Earth

Kolido wrote: »
    Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse of The Heart 5 10 Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart
    Bruce Springsteen - Dancing In The Dark 10 5 Kim Carnes - Bette Davis Eyes

I issued the tenth vote in each case! Brilliant!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Sweet Dreams, love it. Sad it put out Bon Jovi but such is life

Belinda Carlisle. Just not gone on that Pet Shop Boys song

• Advertisement

Apologies if chat isn't allowed (I'll delete if so) but I hadn't realised how much I loved Bette Davis Eyes, until this competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Sweet Dreams - love both songs, but has to be the Eurythmics for me, it's quintessential '80s.

Heaven Is A Place On Earth - another really tough choice here, would be happy to see either advance, but for nostalgia reasons I'd have to go with Belinda Carlisle.

The first one is a difficult one for me as I think both songs are alright, but I have grown tired of them. On balance, I give it to the Eurthymics' Sweet Dreams for the wonderful synths. work.

The second is a bit easier. I give my vote to The Pet Shop Boys' West End Girls for the brilliant opening and the nice tune. Belinda's Heaven etc. is just alright.

Blondie,
    Just fantastic voice, Great tune

Pet shop boys,
    An early tune, I heard it myself & fell in love with pet shop boys

Blondie - Call Me is one of my favourites to win the whole thing. I ****ing love this song.

Belinda Carlisle - West End Girls is good on the right occasion, but Heaven is a Place on Earth is overall the better song.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Sweet Dreams - like both songs, but this is a great song.

Heaven is a place on earth - I like this song, and I don't like West End Girls.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I feel I should vote more strategically to gave my favourites a better chance, for eg, in the first one I don't care too much about either. However, I don't think it's in the spirit of the competition so going with the one I prefer more.

QF/Match 3 Eurthymics - Sweet Dreams
    Prefer it over the competion

QF/Match 4 Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls
    It's just a cracker of a song. I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,418 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse of The Heart 5 10 Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart - pure 80s cheese, full of Steinman's bombastic theatricality
    Bruce Springsteen - Dancing In The Dark 10 5 Kim Carnes - Bette Davis Eyes Love Bruce, but it's one of my least favourite songs

• Registered Users Posts: 28,418 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Blondie - Call Me - always had a big crush on Debbie

Belinda Carlisle - Heaven is a Place on Earth - never took to the PSBs

#3 - Call Me
    Now my last nomination left in the competition - perfect blend of pop, punk and disco all in one three-and-a-half minute burst of energy. Plus who doesn't love Debbie Harry?

#4 - West End Girls
    These were the two weakest in the quarter-finals for me. The only reason I'm picking West End Girls is because it inspired Flight of the Conchords' rather wonderful "Inner City Pressure". :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Match 3 - Blondie - Call Me. Blondie were one of the quintessential 80s bands for me and they had so many great songs, including this one.

Match 4 - No opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Eurythmics - I just prefer this song. I prefer Atomic to Call me too, pity it's gone.

Pet Shop Boys - more edgy. The lyrics represent the class struggle that was going on in Thatcher's Britain at the time. Just watched the video, it's excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

pet shop boys - west end girls. Great song that bleeds 80s.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

"Inner City Pressure". :D

Just found it :D :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Kolido wrote:
    Eurthymics - Sweet Dreams
    I think I gave this reason for this song before, but I think it's just a quintessential 80's Chooooone, it has a great intro it's one of those instantly recognisable classics.

Pet Shop Boys!
    I was all set to vote Belinda for my second pick but I'm gonna switcheroo to pet shop boys, I think it's more of that 80's sound I like. Though if I had my way it would be call me and sweet dreams going through and I'd bin the other 2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Sweet Dreams ... my favourite of the two
    Heaven is a Place on Earth ... another 80’s belter.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,346 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

QF/Match 3
    Blondie - Call Me
    Just simply prefer it over Sweet Dreams

QF/Match 4
    Belinda Carisle - Heaven is a Place on Earth
    I really love this feel good song and I seriously hate West End Girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,828 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Sweet Dreams , one of my noms too !

Pet Shop Boys , from the intro beat you instantly know what song it is , class .

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Big Vern

QF/Match 3
    Blondie - Call Me. Good song and my preference of these 2.

QF/Match 4
    Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls. Great song, brilliant intro, always liked it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

A few people have said "quintessentially 80s" here and for me that covers two great bands...

Eurythmics
    Pet Shop Boys

Advertisement