Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies greatest song of the 80s - Live Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I like both of these, but Kim Carnes edges it for, let's say, the melody..

The other two songs are both crap.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Kolido wrote:
    Kim Carnes - Bette Davis Eyes vs The Clash - Should I Stay Or Should I Go

The Clash cos they're great
    Kolido wrote:
    Ultravox - Vienna vs Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart

Joy Division for me here, I'd listen to it over Vienna which imo has gone too far already

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Match 5 - The Clash - Should I Stay Or Should I Go. The Clash's best singles were probably all in the 70s, but this is definitely the best of the 80s singles.

Match 6 - Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart. Two absolute classics, but got to go with the one I nominated.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

R4/Match 5 The Clash - Should I Stay Or Should I Go
    Rocking tune

R4/Match 6
    Ultravox - Vienna
    Pure class

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

My votes:
    The Clash - Should I Stay etc. - Great punk pop. Nice guitars. Aside: not the normal lead vocalist Joe Strummer, but lead guitarist Mick Jones. The other song is just alright.

Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart. I finally get to vote on this one - kept missing it in the other rounds! Powerful post-punk gothic love song from the tragic Ian Curtis. While Vienna is nice, it was always going to falter against serious competition.

• Advertisement

Kim Carnes - Bette Davis Eyes, more of an 80s tune to me, like The Clash but prefer this song

Joy Division - Love will tear us apart, never gets old, perfectly timeless song.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,370 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

R4/Match 5
    Kim Carnes - Bette Davis Eyes
    Just absolutely love this song

R4/Match 6
    Ultravox - Vienna
    Prefer it to the other option

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Big Vern

R4/Match 5
    Kim Carnes - Bette Davis Eyes - Always thought this was a cool song, although i like The Clash but dont like that song at all!

R4/Match 6
    Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart - I like 'Vienna', but 'Love Will Tear Us Apart' is one of my all time favourite songs, so has to be that!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,317 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

5: The Clash The other is a nice enough song but this is more my cup of tea.

6: Vienna Close one but this edges it for me because of a personal funny and slightly embarrassing memory. If I’ve to give a reason in later rounds I might share.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

R4
    Dancing in the dark
    it's a classic Sprinsteen number, great for a bop, live the video

Smalltown boy
    I've said a bajillion times how much I love this song, it's haunting and lovely and it's one of my faves, it has that quintessential 80's vibe

• Advertisement

Bette Davis Eyes - I just think it's better than the clash. The clash reminds me of the sh1t part of the night where everyone is leaping round the dancefloor spilling pints and you're like I just want to be anywhere but here! Bette Davis eyes is a great listen that you won't tire of

Vienna - I really like this song despite the fact that it makes no sense, maybe I've been brainwashed by those ads for the giant box sets of "greatest hits of the 80's" that were on TV in my youth, maybe it's transferrance from the fact that I really like the City, I can't say, but I like it more than the other option here!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Bon Jovi - You Give Love (A Bad Name) 2 10 Blondie - Call Me
    Bon Jovi - Livin on a Prayer 6 8 Eurthymics - Sweet Dreams
    Billy Idol - White Wedding 6 8 Bruce Springsteen - Dancing In The Dark
    Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse of The Heart 7 6 Bronski Beat - Smalltown Boy
    Kim Carnes - Bette Davis Eyes 7 5 The Clash - Should I Stay Or Should I Go
    Ultravox - Vienna 4 7 Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart

R4/Match 7

Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls
    vs
    Blondie - Atomic

R4/Match 8

Queen & David Bowie - Under Pressure
    vs
    Belinda Carisle - Heaven is a Place on Earth

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

West End Girls - It's the better song, plus there's already another Blondie song going forward.

Heaven Is A Place On Earth - It's one of the first songs that springs to mind when someone mentions '80s music, and definitely the superior song here, as Under Pressure gets grating after awhile.

Atomic - I actively listen to this song on the reg, and I love it. I love the intro and the synthy sound. Debbie Harry is a Queen!

Under Pressure - I can't think of any reason other than It's a great f-ing song!! I love the mix of Freddie and Bowies voices. It's just great. That's my reason!

#7 - Atomic
    That riff is pretty addictive. Also I'm not mad about West End Girls, it's grand but doesn't seem like a winning tune for the whole decade.

#8 - Heaven Is a Place on Earth
    Both of these have made it further than I would have chosen, however I'm going for the one that's more likely to put a smile in my face if I haven't heard it for a while. A Queen and David Bowie collaboration should have given us something better than Under Pressure; sure the bass riff is cool but it did give us Vanilla Ice. :eek:

West End Boys, tough choice but Pet Shop Boys are geniuses

Under Pressure, just feel this has more depth then the other, which is just light pop, kind of forgetable

• Registered Users Posts: 11,317 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

7. Atomic - Just a big fan of this song....Magnificent

8. Under Pressure - It's Bowie and Mercury...need a better reason? OK, the bassline.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Blondie. Do not understand the PSB appeal at all.

Belinda Carlisle. I'm a big Queen fan, but I feel this is one of their weaker popular offerings, despite the bass line.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

R4/Match 7
    Blondie - Atomic. Just a better track

R4/Match 8
    Belinda Carisle - Heaven is a Place on Earth. Belinda was my first crush.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Kim Carnes - Bette Davis Eyes - I don't like the Clash song
    Ultravox - Vienna - I love this song

Pet Shop Boys - Great tune, still sounds fresh
    Belinda Carlisle - Song that makes me happy when I hear it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

PSB west end girls - great 80's song that I have enjoyed more out of the 80's than in the 80's

queen - under pressure den den den den da den dan classic tune by classic band. can't get enough of them.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Queen & Bowie.

That bass line is a classic

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Big Vern

R4/Match 7
    Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls - Love the intro to this song

R4/Match 8
    Queen & David Bowie - Under Pressure- Prefer this song

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Match 7 -Blondie - Atomic. Blondie at their absolute best imo.

Match 8 - Queen & David Bowie - Under Pressure. That bass line. Even if the rest of the song was crap, there's that bass line.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,370 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

R4/Match 7
    Abstaining

R4/Match 8
    Belinda Carisle - Heaven is a Place on Earth
    I really like both but will go with this just because at this particular moment in time I would listen to this over Under pressure

Bon Jovi - You Give Love (A Bad Name) 2 10 Blondie - Call Me
    Bon Jovi - Livin on a Prayer 6 8 Eurthymics - Sweet Dreams
    Billy Idol - White Wedding 6 8 Bruce Springsteen - Dancing In The Dark
    Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse of The Heart 7 6 Bronski Beat - Smalltown Boy
    Kim Carnes - Bette Davis Eyes 8 5 The Clash - Should I Stay Or Should I Go
    Ultravox - Vienna 5 7 Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart
    Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls 6 5 Blondie - Atomic
    Queen & David Bowie - Under Pressure 7 6 Belinda Carisle - Heaven is a Place on Earth

Belinda

I have cheekbones like her and I also love this song

Pet shop boys

If when why not ?

Is there any undecided I should be voting on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

My votes:
    Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls. Great opening to their debut hit. Atomic is just okay.

Queen + David Bowie - Under Pressure - Okay, both have had much better songs, but it's a great bassline from John Deacon. It beats Belinda's tune, which is just alright.

Advertisement