Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies greatest song of the 80s - Live Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Belinda

I have cheekbones like her and I also love this song

Pics or GTFO

Belinda for me also cause heaven really is a place on earth

Pet shop boys cause I already voted blondie through and I’m all for diversity

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Bon Jovi - You Give Love (A Bad Name) 2 10 Blondie - Call Me
    Bon Jovi - Livin on a Prayer 6 8 Eurthymics - Sweet Dreams
    Billy Idol - White Wedding 6 8 Bruce Springsteen - Dancing In The Dark
    Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse of The Heart 7 6 Bronski Beat - Smalltown Boy
    Kim Carnes - Bette Davis Eyes 8 5 The Clash - Should I Stay Or Should I Go
    Ultravox - Vienna 5 7 Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart
    Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls 9 5 Blondie - Atomic
    Queen & David Bowie - Under Pressure 8 8 Belinda Carisle - Heaven is a Place on Earth

How many noms to win, Kolido?

first to 10 or winning song after 1 hour

• Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

First to 10 or most votes in an hour. Time up on all matches.

• Advertisement

N’ermind

You going next vote winner on the final match or first to 10?

Kolido wrote: »
    Bon Jovi - You Give Love (A Bad Name) 2 10 Blondie - Call Me
    Bon Jovi - Livin on a Prayer 6 8 Eurthymics - Sweet Dreams
    Billy Idol - White Wedding 6 8 Bruce Springsteen - Dancing In The Dark
    Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse of The Heart 7 6 Bronski Beat - Smalltown Boy
    Kim Carnes - Bette Davis Eyes 8 5 The Clash - Should I Stay Or Should I Go
    Ultravox - Vienna 5 7 Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart
    Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls 9 5 Blondie - Atomic
    Queen & David Bowie - Under Pressure 8 8 Belinda Carisle - Heaven is a Place on Earth

According to my records, Belinda has conceded 7 votes to queens 8 votes since round 1, I would also give Belinda my vote, so she goes through this round.

If there are no objections with this?

Maybe Kolido should break the tie based on whoever gave the best reason for voting for their choice? Personally I think "I have cheekbones like Belinda" is the winner there! :pac:

EDIT: Or, y'know, what Kolido actually said above. That works too! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Maybe Kolido should break the tie based on whoever gave the best reason for voting for their choice? Personally I think "I have cheekbones like Belinda" is the winner there! :pac:
    I voted Belinda, and agree that is an excellent reason.
    HOWEVER, if anyone can prove they have cheekbones like Freddie's, I would be willing to let them through.

• Advertisement

I will be back in the evening with the Q/F, thanks everyone.

Track list

Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse of The Heart
    Bruce Springsteen - Dancing In The Dark
    Blondie - Call Me
    Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls
    Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart
    Kim Carnes - Bette Davis Eyes
    Eurthymics - Sweet Dreams
    Belinda Carisle - Heaven is a Place on Earth

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

It's great that the votes are fairly tight in each match-up, instead of unanimous decisions throughout. Even if I think some of the best songs got voted out in the earlier rounds, it's definitely been a nailbiting competition at times.

Still have the business end of things to get through obviously, but kudos to Kolido on running a great and well organised competition.

Track list

Blondie - Call Me

5-3 to the lady vocalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Track list

Blondie - Call Me

this round has been an emotional wringer!! I can't believe Queen didn't make it with a single track!!

I've two left from my 10 and tbh I'm astonished one of them got passed the first round I did not think it had the legs!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I've two left from my 10 and tbh I'm astonished one of them got passed the first round I did not think it had the legs!!

Two left for me as well and one I didnt expect to get as far.

Thought my Bon Jovi noms would make the quarters at least but you backstards killed them both :(

No Romeo and Juliet, U2 or Depeche Mode but no Phil Collins...win some, lose some.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Track list

Blondie - Call Me

Vastly different to what I would imagine an 80s compilation to look like! No Queen, U2, Duran Duran, Culture Club etc etc. A lot of acts that would immediately come to mind when I think of the 80s didn't make the cut despite in some cases having multiple entries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Necro wrote: »
    Two left for me as well and one I didnt expect to get as far.

Thought my Bon Jovi noms would make the quarters at least but you backstards killed them both :(

when I was thinking of my list Bon Jovi didn't even enter my mind TBH!! I think in my mind they're a 90's band

It's interesting watching peoples reactions and learning how people define a decade. For so many the 80's is all about guitar bands, whereas I think of the 80's as a pop decade and the sound of the 80's as a synth pop sound!

Necro wrote: »

Was probably a bit of karma for you being so vocal in waging war against a-ha... ;)

when I was thinking of my list Bon Jovi didn't even enter my mind TBH!! I think in my mind they're a 90's band

It's interesting watching peoples reactions and learning how people define a decade. For so many the 80's is all about guitar bands, whereas I think of the 80's as a pop decade and the sound of the 80's as a synth pop sound!

Yeah, my mind would immediately go to synth pop and power ballads when thinking of '80s.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Was probably a bit of karma for you being so vocal in waging war against a-ha...

A war that was won decisively :P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Just one of mine left :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I can't complain as I completely forgot to nominate. But like most of these the QF's aren't like anything I would have imagined as best from 80's - Bowie, Jackson, Duran Duran, Spandau, Wham, Human League...Genesis, Peter Gabriel...I could go on. It would have been my era but I never had as much love for the 80's as the 70's but Kim Carnes...:)

My last 2 left both made it to the quarters! :eek: Pleasantly surprised, and relieved. Actually kinda hoping they come up against each other now, as I'll then be guaranteed a semi-finalist.

Also happy to say that there are no songs left in the final 8 that I despise, or even any that I dislike - at worst, one or two that I'm fairly indifferent to. Obviously I think some are worthier than others but there isn't any there that I'm thinking "no way, that absolutely can't win". So that's nice. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

No MC Squared by Big Audio Dynamite. No UB40, although there are a lot of songs I did not like by them. No Pretenders. No Bananarama, although that does not bother me too much! No Imagination (Body Talk, for example). No ABC. No Spandau Ballet. No Transvision Vamp.

We could go on!

Also happy to say that there are no songs left in the final 8 that I despise, or even any that I dislike - at worst, one or two that I'm fairly indifferent to. Obviously I think some are worthier than others but there isn't any there that I'm thinking "no way, that absolutely can't win". So that's nice. :)

Unfortunately, there is one song I particular dislike on that final list. Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Tyler. It is a typical Jim Steinman production (he wrote most of Meatloaf's songs). It is over the top, melodramatic and painful. It works for the song Bat Out of Hell but not for this one. I have no strong feelings about Bonnie Tyler, other than I did not like any of her other hit singles either!

Agree 100% with this. There were a few at Final 16 that I really didn't care for at all, but they've since been diapatched and there's nothing in the final 8 that I dislike.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Yeah, my mind would immediately go to synth pop and power ballads when thinking of '80s.

Ya synths are very much a sound of the 80s. At least with guitar bands they have always had a presence in every decade in some form or other.

Just had a quick google of the biggest selling acts of the 80s. Got the albums (UK) and none of those acts are on the remaining list.

1 Brothers in Arms Dire Straits
    2 Bad Michael Jackson
    3 Thriller Michael Jackson
    5 Kylie Kylie Minogue
    6 Whitney Whitney Houston
    7 Tango in the Night Fleetwood Mac
    8 No Jacket Required
    9 The Joshua Tree U2
    10 True Blue Madonna

Top selling singles of 1980s (UK)

1 "Do They Know It's Christmas?" Band Aid
    2 "Relax" Frankie Goes to Hollywood
    3 "I Just Called to Say I Love You" Stevie Wonder
    4 "Two Tribes" Frankie Goes to Hollywood
    5 "Don't You Want Me" The Human League
    6 "Last Christmas"/"Everything She Wants"
    7 "Karma Chameleon" Culture Club
    8 "Careless Whisper" George Michael
    9 "The Power of Love" Jennifer Rush
    10 "Come On Eileen" Dexys Midnight Runners & the Emerald Express
    11 "Tainted Love" Soft Cell
    12 "Eye of the Tiger" Survivor
    13 "Blue Monday" New Order
    14 "Stand and Deliver" Adam and the Ants
    15 "Especially for You" Kylie Minogue and Jason Donovan
    16 "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" Tight Fit
    17 "Fame" Irene Cara
    18 "Ghostbusters" Ray Parker, Jr.
    19 "Uptown Girl" Billy Joel
    20 "Ride On Time" Black Box

Actually I'd have to read through it again, but not one of the remaining 8 songs are in the top 100 best selling singles of the 1980s. That's quite amazing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_singles_of_the_1980s_in_the_United_Kingdom

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Must actually give a few of these a listen before the next round. There's still a few I can't say I actually know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

quickbeam wrote: »
    Must actually give a few of these a listen before the next round. There's still a few I can't say I actually know.

I know every one of those songs! It must be my age! Some I like, some I don't!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Track list

Blondie - Call Me

Only one of my 10 left and really not sure how it will do next time out. The last 8 is a lot more poppy than I'd care for, with several songs I actively dislike.

Advertisement