Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies greatest song of the 80s - Live Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Whew, managing to be on for this.

SF/Match 1 Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls

This, definitely. I love this song massively.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

My vote goes to West End Girls by The Pet Shop Boys because it has a great opening, nice background synthesized sound, brooding lyrics, melancholic melody (a hallmark of their songs) and good vocals from Neil. Dancing in the Dark is a happy song, but it does not have the same depth to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

West End Girls - of the two songs, this just sounds and feels more '80s to me, or my idea of the sound of the '80s anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,286 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

West end girls, the music in it is superb. Reminds me of being a young fella.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Match 1 - Bruce Springsteen - Dancing In The Dark. Not my favourite Bruce song, but it's OK and I much prefer him to the Pet Shop Boys.

• Advertisement

It just occurred to me that the point was made yesterday that some artistes did not get very far in this competition, or anywhere, because they had so many songs to choose from and the nominations or votes were split. The Pet Shop Boys managed to defy all that by getting to the semi-finals. They had loads of hit singles in the 1980s.

Tough one, love pet shop boys, but will have to go for Bruce Springsteen's dancing in the dark.
    It's more of a classic imo

(have to go out, hopefully I'll get back for the next one, but if I don't, my choice is joy division cos it's the best song left :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

bubblypop wrote: »
    (have to go out, hopefully I'll get back for the next one, but if I don't, my choice is joy division cos it's the best song left :) )

Actually for simillar reasons (We're being audited this morning so I have to go and do my part for that at 11) my vote in the next round is Sweet Dreams, because it's a banger! I think I've voted for it in every match up it's been in so my reasons are well documented, but as a recap, it's a classic 80's sound, great into, great vocals, great lyrics excellent track overall!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

It just occurred to me that the point was made yesterday that some artistes did not get very far in this competition, or anywhere, because they had so many songs to choose from and the nominations or votes were split. The Pet Shop Boys managed to defy all that by getting to the semi-finals. They had loads of hit singles in the 1980s.

Ya I said that, but it was more that acts that had multiple songs nominated didn't get far, e.g. Queen. I think this is the only PSB song nominated.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Big Vern

SF/Match 1 Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls

Although im a big Bruce fan, Dancing in the Dark wouldn't be one of my favourite songs of his, its good no doubt.

But I love the intro to West End Girls, i remember recording off the radio and played it over and over. There's a great atmosphere to the song as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

My vote is for Dancing in the Dark. One of my favourite Bruce songs and not a big fan of West End Girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

It's a pity Bruce is up against the Pet Shop Boys. Personally I'd prefer if Joy Division was eliminated as it is the only song left that I don't like.

Anyway, in this round my vote is for the Pet Shop Boys, I've voted for them on previous rounds and it just sums up the 80s sound and overall vibe for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Bruce. Has the distinct advantage of actually being a song, as opposed to a chorus with some spoken crap in between - you should be able to sing along to a song, imo..
    On music alone, without vocals, Bruce also takes it. I can't look for the clip at the moment, but psb almost fits the (probably poorly remembered) Fr. Dick Byrne assessment "It's just the same note over and over"..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

SF/Match 2

Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams

1983 / US #1 UK #2 Ire #2

Vs

Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart

1980 / UK #13 Ire #19

Bruce Springsteen - Dancing In The Dark 6 7 Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls

I will call match 2 at 12

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Kolido wrote:
    Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams

Sweet Dreams are made of these.

Better song for me by a mile but that's just personal taste.

Also curse you for eliminating the Boss. You people have no honour!

Sf2: Love Will Tear Us Apart
    I appreciate that Sweet Dreams is probably.more "quintessentially 80's" but I personally prefer Love Will Tear Us Apart, it's just a better song overall imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Sweet Dreams - love both songs, but the vocals of Annie Lennox wins it for me here.

Second Semi-final.

My vote goes to Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart. It is an iconic, even ironic, haunting post-punk love song. The lyrics are heartfelt without melodrama and the music is great: Ian Curtis on guitar (unusually), Bernard Sumner with that wonderful recurring keyboard motif, Peter Hook with his melodic bassline and Stephen Morris on drums. Also, Ian delivered a great baritone vocal, in his distinctive way.

Sweet Dreams has a good synthesiser hook, but it has not stood the test of time well, even if it does have a distinctive 80s vibe, and is no match for the other song.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

SF/Match 2 Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart

Massive tune! Really like it.

• Advertisement

My vote goes to the one with killer vocals and bass line, as opposed to the complete dirge that I'm surprised even got nominated.

Ficheall wrote: »
    My vote goes to the one with killer vocals and bass line, as opposed to the complete dirge that I'm surprised even got nominated.

Can you say which one please for clarity?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Siobh73

Sweet Dreams -a classic timeless song that is still very much 80's. Fab voice of Annie Lennox and great lyrics too

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Big Vern

SF/Match 2

One of my all time favourite songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

My first vote is to save (i hope) Sweet Dreams which is a cracking 80's tune unlike the more unmemorable Joy Division Eurythmics created some great stuff then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Reason.

Its a great tune.
    A crowd favourite back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,286 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Joy division, absolutely cracking song.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Joy Division

Genuinely love both, and I wavered because I think of Eurythmics as being more 80s,but I nominated Joy Division and have to see them through

Delighted to see Pet Shop Boys through despite missing the vote. Either way it's a cracking final lined up now :)

SF/Match 2

One of my all time favourite songs.

• Advertisement

Kolido wrote: »

Can you say which one please for clarity?
    I'm pretty sure the it's clear :p
    Unlike some of the "reasons" provided, where one would have no idea..

"I pick X because I like it.."
    "I pick X because it's a good song"

Anyway, Eurythmics..

Advertisement