Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The case of the racist blackcurrant drink

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

What is the hotel’s version of events? Link? The only version I’ve seen is them apologising -“someone must have been playing a joke”. If it was a joke, then it’s deliberate.

Unless I’ve missed something, the display bottles are an excuse formed on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

1641 wrote: »
    This is it. I don't know anything about the woman and I am certainly not one of her "supporters". But the story doesn't add up. Mistakes happen but rarely anything like this. This is almost more like the Irishman ordering Lobster Thermidor in the Dorchester and getting served spuds and buttermilk.

I am sure the hotel are mortified and their story makes sense as a cover. But I would be very surprised if investigations are not taking place behind the scenes. It seems much more plausible that some immature idiot, or idiots, thought this would be funny and were showing off to one another, maybe not realising that this woman had a profile and the matter would blow up.
    How is blackcurrant a racial slur though? Have the hotel made a statement or is everything on this thread just speculation?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

She's then rewarded by more sycophants apologising

These c*nts are worse than her imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Everything's an offence if you whine black currant long and loud enough.

Careful

• Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

GetWithIt wrote: »
    What is the hotel’s version of events? Link? The only version I’ve seen is them apologising -“someone must have been playing a joke”. If it was a joke, then it’s deliberate.

Unless I’ve missed something, the display bottles are an excuse formed on this thread.

You have missed something. The Twatter thread has a reply by the hotel which states use of a display bottle.

We are not rounding up pitchforks here defending the establishment by oppressing customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I seen on her LinkedIn profile that one of her research topics was , An exploration of the experiences of Black African Men in their transition into the Irish workforce... I wouldn't say that took her too long to finish .

No doubt an exploration in how racist we are and thus impossible for them to ever “work”- that ****e writes itself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

You have missed something. The Twatter thread has a reply by the hotel which states use of a display bottle.

We are not rounding up pitchforks here defending the establishment by oppressing customers.

Shouldn’t that be the end of it in terms of those on here still discussing it as being potentially racist. The silly cow even apologised and then removed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭1641

How is blackcurrant a racial slur though?

When Rehab launched their scratchcard lottery around the mid/late 1980s the kids around here took to name-calling the kids going to the local special school "Lottos". It is a fairly neutral term, isn't it, inoffensive? Except the special school kids found it offensive and upsetting (even when they didn't understand where it came from). I suppose the ordinary kids didn't mean anything but fun for themselves but kids can be cruel about these things. The fad seems to have passsed after a few years. They went back to calling them "spastic".

Any term (or symbol) can be used as a weapon - think "fenian" or "taig".

I didn't use the term "racial slur". And I don't know what happened here. But the "simple mistake" seems less plausible than some idiots having what they regared as "fun". "Blackcurrant" has been name called to black kids. I am sure they find it as hurtful as "Lotto" was hurtful for a period to special needs kids.

I've looked through the twitter thread twice and can't find anything from the hotel. Did either she or they remove it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

How is blackcurrant a racial slur though?

https://youtu.be/UFzcz86gRtQ

Nothing to do with this though, this is just someone who spends their life trying to apply racism to any given situation which in turn justifies her existence as a Doctor in Black Studies. Degree in Microbiology, Docterate in a made up field. A modern day Nick Riviera.

MOBO, FUBU, Black Studies. Sorry, who's racist?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I've looked through the twitter thread twice and can't find anything from the hotel. Did either she or they remove it?

https://twitter.com/GalwayBayHotel/status/1211817423801860096?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

https://mobile.twitter.com/GalwayBayHotel/with_replies

I didn't use the term "racial slur". And I don't know what happened here. But the "simple mistake" seems less plausible than some idiots having what they regared as "fun". "Blackcurrant" has been name called to black kid

The simple mistake was explained, she apologised. Why are you still looking for something that doesn’t exist? She overreacted and jumped on twitter and made a complete fool of herself.

Thank you.

Here's HER apology which she removed since they apologised. Says alot about her character.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

jackboy wrote: »
    That’s a fair bit of a stretch. There is a hotels reputation at stake. The evidence is not there to say the incident is probably racist.

For some people, the claim itself is all the evidence that is needed. The logic involved is not unrelated to that used by conspiracy theorists.

When Rehab launched their scratchcard lottery around the mid/late 1980s the kids around here took to name-calling the kids going to the local special school "Lottos". It is a fairly neutral term, isn't it, inoffensive? Except the special school kids found it offensive and upsetting (even when they didn't understand where it came from). I suppose the ordinary kids didn't mean anything but fun for themselves but kids can be cruel about these things. The fad seems to have passsed after a few years. They went back to calling them "spastic".

Any term (or symbol) can be used as a weapon - think "fenian" or "taig".

I didn't use the term "racial slur". And I don't know what happened here. But the "simple mistake" seems less plausible than some idiots having what they regared as "fun". "Blackcurrant" has been name called to black kids. I am sure they find it as hurtful as "Lotto" was hurtful for a period to special needs kids.
    I never said you used the term "racial slur". I did. I don't have kids so don't know what goes on in schools now. Blackcurrant being an insult is a new one to me. What do the black kids call white ones?

Hoboo wrote: »
    Here's HER apology which she removed since they apologised. Says alot about her character.
    Even in her first tweets she wasn't sure if it was a mistake or racism. Sounds like she talked herself into it being racist, the hotel explained, she apologised and then for some reason decided to backtrack.

I never said you used the term "racial slur". I did. I don't have kids so don't know what goes on in schools now. Blackcurrant being an insult is a new one to me. What do the black kids call white ones?

Crackers. Milky. Snowball.

Hoboo wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/UFzcz86gRtQ

Nothing to do with this though, this is just someone who spends their life trying to apply racism to any given situation which in turn justifies her existence as a Doctor in Black Studies. Degree in Microbiology, Docterate in a made up field. A modern day Nick Riviera.

MOBO, FUBU, Black Studies. Sorry, who's racist?

I had misunderstood that to do a PhD it had to be in the sphere of your primary degree, ie in her case Microbiology, or if she had done a BscSociology then the Black Studies etc might be a logical follow-on. I didn’t realise that you could apply to a university to do a PhD in any subject that suddenly occurred to you to be relevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

If I serve a pint of Guinness to a black person without them requesting it, am I a racist ? I'm sick of everyone finding racism in silly little things. Someone with a big mouth and not afraid to use it has to go public and tell all these little "your a racist winers" for every little thing to shut the hell up ! I remember the tesco row with the black chocolate easter bunnies last year.... it's a chocolate rabbit, not a black person ! Go feck off with yourselves and do something constructive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

"Blackcurrant" has been name called to black kids. I am sure they find it as hurtful as "Lotto" was hurtful for a period to special needs kids.

You don't think it more likely that and busy worker simply made a mistake, rather than contriving a very subtle and convoluted way to insult a randomer.

I once ordered a southern comfort and got a cranberry juice - was there a hidden insult. Do i need to go straight back today and burn the place to the ground? (It happened about 10 years ago mind, but i don't like to let shít like that slide:D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

How is blackcurrant a racial slur though? Have the hotel made a statement or is everything on this thread just speculation?
    I just assumed she was saying the hotel was trying to make a fool of her rather than the drink itself implying a racist slur.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭1641

I don't have kids so don't know what goes on in schools now. Blackcurrant being an insult is a new one to me. What do the black kids call white ones?

I don't know what black kids call white kids and, as far as this incident is concerned, it doesn't matter. It happened in a business.

Either this was an extraordinary mistake or it was a pisstake. The latter seems more plausible to me until there is a fuller explanation but I would be delighted to be proved wrong.

If a pisstake, it was highly inappropriate for a business and offensive. I am sure the business is mortified by the employee's actions and keen to get to the bottom of it. Also, I am sure they will be keen to have it pronounced to be a mistake as they would not want to be associated with the alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭TwoMonthsOff

Raconteuse wrote: »
    I just assumed she was saying the hotel was trying to make a fool of her rather than the drink itself implying a racist slur.

You missed the word RACISM in her tweet?

I had misunderstood that to do a PhD it had to be in the sphere of your primary degree, ie in her case Microbiology, or if she had done a BscSociology then the Black Studies etc might be a logical follow-on. I didn’t realise that you could apply to a university to do a PhD in any subject that suddenly occurred to you to be relevant.

It’s not necessary but its somewhat of a given that admissions will not consider you unless you have some relevant background. In her case it was because she was black and angry and it seems very racist also. Perfect candidate, and probably more fitting the perfect candidate to haul admissions board to court for racism if she was rejected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

You missed the word RACISM in her tweet?
    Yeah I thought she was saying the hotel was trying to make a fool of her because she's black.

Either this was an extraordinary mistake or it was a pisstake. The latter seems more plausible to me until there is a fuller explanation but I would be delighted to be proved wrong.

Why do you think that?

Have you never had an order messed up in a pub or restaurant before?

You are missing the most plausible (by a considerable margin) explanation, i.e. it was not an extraordinary mistake, it was a run of the mill, mundane mistake, which would also likely have happened to at least another punter or 2 on that very day - they just didn't make twats of themselves in response to some imagined slight.

What i would have done is said "this is not what i ordered" and the situation would have been resolved inside a minute, no doubt whatsoever!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Shouldn’t that be the end of it in terms of those on here still discussing it as being potentially racist. The silly cow even apologised and then removed it.

It should be.

However, there are people here and onnsocial media that don't want to accept the hotels version of events because they cant fathom a mistake like this happening.

Thats not to say they believe it had racist intent either.

If it was claimed that "display bottles" only existed in this hotel then maybe I could get on board the racist train.

However, they do exist and it is plausable that it was used in error. This version of events is much more plausable than a racist attack on this woman.

Some here label the error of mistaking display bottles as "bizarre". Its not bizarre its plausable.

The use of cordial instead of wine as a racist attack is in actuality, bizarre.

The hotel has now been erroniously accused of employing racists, with a kiss my arse apology from the hot headed accuser whose livelihood depends on this type of event....ergo an "agenda" which is quite transparent.

There are too many free seats on the racist apologist train. At some stage the train will need to evaluate where it is going because the end destination is a world full of clusterfcuk bullsh1t that will water down the abhoration of legitimate racism.

• Advertisement

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Yeah I thought she was saying the hotel was trying to make a fool of her because she's black.

Quite incredibly, that was what she was saying!

Advertisement