Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The case of the racist blackcurrant drink

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Utterly bizarre brain farts can happen though. I’ve made mistakes before where I can’t understand how I made them. When the charge is racism, one must be sure they are right and the oddness extends both ways here. As a mistake, it’s odd but as a racist gesture, it’s just as odd. IMO, on balance the benefit of the doubt should be given here. Calling somebody racist is serious.
    Well I'm not accusing anyone of racism and she behaves like an absolute clown, as do her supporters. And trying to destroy the entire hotel's reputation is utterly vindictive. But the error just doesn't make sense. Could have been an error but could have been someone acting the eejit too - for whatever reason.

It's silly of people to get so snarky with people for simply questioning (I don't mean you) just because it doesn't suit them. Like saying people have an agenda, ffs. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

This post uses black ink on a white background. How racist is that!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Ffs really, she's pathetic.

As someone who has witnessed genuine racial abuse and having suffered abuse due to my ethnicity, idiots like her just trivialise a very serious issue.

She needs to grow up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭SaintLeibowitz

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Wondering if these lads got served up some of the auld blackcurrent last night:

https://www.bitchute.com/video/yknzA499BAgG/

Sounds like a wild time all the same. Happy new year!

Jesus wept. Lotta vile racists on that site.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

The question you should be asking me is have I ever seen someone purposefully mess with a customer's food or drink, because that's the real issue here. I haven't. Ever. If you have a bad customer you want to get them out the door as soon as possible. You don't want them calling you over giving you grief and you certainly don't want to give them the high ground by actually f-ing with them. The idea that this was deliberate is far far less likely than the idea it was an accident.

The reason I’m asking the question is because of the prevailing consensus on the thread that this is an easy mistake to make. But if that’s the case then why have I never encountered it? You suggested my experience as a customer was useless so I asked you had you ever encountered it. You hadn’t. So I’m going to suggest that this is, in fact, a difficult mistake to make, or more accurately, an unlikely incident to occur.

You haven’t ever experienced someone messing with a customer's order. Nor have you ever experienced someone mistaking cordial for wine (in whatever manner). So I find your conclusion that the latter is far less likely one I don’t agree with.

Like I say, it’s a bizarre incident. But this is somehow a contentious thing to say.
    I've gotten unwashed glasses, half drank drinks that ended up on the tray to the table rather than to the dishwasher, other peoples drinks from a different table. In a busy restaurant if something gets laid down in the wrong spot for whatever reason someone else will pick it up. It's probably happened before but this is the first time it's turned into a public incident because it's the first time someone decided it constitutes a hate crime!

Likewise I’ve received things I didn’t order or not received my order at all. But again the point is about how the prevailing consensus is that this is an easy mistake to make yet we’ve never heard of it happening before. Perhaps, as you say it’s because no one publicised previous incidents. Either way, it’s bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I think that’s where all Ireland’s racists hole up. Like all ten of us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭SaintLeibowitz

I think that’s where all Ireland’s racists hole up. Like all ten of us

Best just stay there . No one wants to read that moronic tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

How could a cordial that looks exactly like red wine be served as red wine? Amazeballs! How could it happen?
    On another note , how is this racist?
    "Is it because eyes black?"
    It's because she's an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

They should be hauled out to sea in a boat and sunk, you'd think we have enough problems of our own scumbags without importing from darkest Africa

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Imagine the outrage among protestants if she was served orange?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Best just stay there . No one wants to read that moronic tripe.

I’d say more than wants to see that tripe. For every action a reaction

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Are the white lads African too , or just the black lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Oh my God, Karen! you can't just ask people why they're white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Ffs really, she's pathetic.

As someone who has witnessed genuine racial abuse and having suffered abuse due to my ethnicity, idiots like her just trivialise a very serious issue.

She needs to grow up

Why would she? UCD has given her both a PhD and job in being constantly offended by everything.
    It's extremely profitable.

Yep felt like I needed a shower after that

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭TwoMonthsOff

What part of Nigeria is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

a comment there "The first Babies born were 2020 were AFRICAN and south American"

I mean the racism isn't even barely concealed, but I was watching the news last when that report was on, and my father said 'was there an Irish baby born in the country at all last night?' ...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Genuinely how do we actually know this is even really what happened....

She has proven she can't be believed as the sh1te she spouts out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

The more I think about this the harder it is to wrap my head around it. Someone moves to a country, gets a 'job' whining to the residents of this country about their 'privilege' and earns a decent enough wage from this 'job' that she can eat in a four star restaurant. She then whines some more about what are most likely minimum wage staff working their arses off on a new years eve because they're desperate for money and as a result of this stress make a simple mistake. She's then rewarded by more sycophants apologising for the racism of their fellow countrymen.

I guess you can't really blame her. Maybe I could find a country to do this in. I'm thinking maybe the people of North Korea wouldn't mind hearing some criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

What wine did she order?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

stoneill wrote: »
    What wine did she order?

Something with a hint of blackcurrant

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Many times over the years got pints that were vile.... Is this racism...

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭TwoMonthsOff

Many times over the years got pints that were vile.... Is this racism...

If you're black then yes it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

tuxy wrote: »
    Why would she? UCD has given her both a PhD and job in being constantly offended by everything.
    It's extremely profitable.

UL in Limerick did the same for sindy Joyce

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

I seen on her LinkedIn profile that one of her research topics was , An exploration of the experiences of Black African Men in their transition into the Irish workforce... I wouldn't say that took her too long to finish .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭1641

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Well I'm not accusing anyone of racism and she behaves like an absolute clown, as do her supporters. And trying to destroy the entire hotel's reputation is utterly vindictive. But the error just doesn't make sense. Could have been an error but could have been someone acting the eejit too - for whatever reason.

It's silly of people to get so snarky with people for simply questioning (I don't mean you) just because it doesn't suit them. Like saying people have an agenda, ffs. :rolleyes:

This is it. I don't know anything about the woman and I am certainly not one of her "supporters". But the story doesn't add up. Mistakes happen but rarely anything like this. This is almost more like the Irishman ordering Lobster Thermidor in the Dorchester and getting served spuds and buttermilk.

I am sure the hotel are mortified and their story makes sense as a cover. But I would be very surprised if investigations are not taking place behind the scenes. It seems much more plausible that some immature idiot, or idiots, thought this would be funny and were showing off to one another, maybe not realising that this woman had a profile and the matter would blow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Brain dead stuff. These attention seekers need to be ignored. Starve them of the thing they crave.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Lots of cordials come in glass bottles, eg Marks & Spencer.

The real issue here is that the hotel was trying to pull a fast one here and substituted the wine!! Sneaky sneaky :D

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Earthhorse wrote: »
    The reason I’m asking the question is because of the prevailing consensus on the thread that this is an easy mistake to make. But if that’s the case then why have I never encountered it?

Why would you expect to? There are many "easy to make mistakes" that I have never encountered either. A mistake being easy to make does not automatically mean it is common to make. The "Well if this happens - how come it never happens to me or mine?" line of thinking is anecdote of 1 thinking which is rarely useful.

The reason most of us never encounter weird mistakes is they are rare - and the reason many of us do not hear anecdotes about weird mistakes is most of the time the victim of the error does not try to make a fuss about it, they let it go, and they move on with their lives without thinking it worthy of mention.

But if we need to mention it to gain some kind of cred - well I got served potatoes one time in a foreign country after explicitly saying I did not want any. Clearly they were after the "paddy" with their racist implications :)
    Earthhorse wrote: »
    Like I say, it’s a bizarre incident. But this is somehow a contentious thing to say.

Not sure it is contentious - just an odd use of language. When you said "an unlikely incident to occur" that seems accurate. That does not make it "bizarre" though. Unlikely things happen often and are not bizarre.

For example - how many people have won the lotto jackpot? The odds last time I heard were 1 in 10 million to win it. Statistically almost no one seems to win or know someone who has won. It is a rare event. When it happens however it is not "bizarre". Just rare.

What is probably "contentious" is to use words that imply something more is going on - or to make it sound more ominous than it actually is. In this event - like all other events - I will go first by the adage "Innocent until proven guilty" and also by "Do not ascribe to malice - that which could be explained by incompetence".

Under both of those I will not suspect foul play or ill intention until such time as foul play or ill intention is evidenced. Trial by social media is no trial at all. Worse than mob rule.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

The more I think about this the harder it is to wrap my head around it. Someone moves to a country, gets a 'job' whining to the residents of this country about their 'privilege' and earns a decent enough wage from this 'job' that she can eat in a four star restaurant. She then whines some more about what are most likely minimum wage staff working their arses off on a new years eve because they're desperate for money and as a result of this stress make a simple mistake. She's then rewarded by more sycophants apologising for the racism of their fellow countrymen.

I guess you can't really blame her. Maybe I could find a country to do this in. I'm thinking maybe the people of North Korea wouldn't mind hearing some criticism.
    She's learned from Pavee Point. Everything's an offence if you whine long and loud enough.

Advertisement