Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The case of the racist blackcurrant drink

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

What's with all the bizarre?

You get an empty bottle of wine and fill it something that looks like wine. I can't think of anything that would look more like red wine than rhibena, can you?
    Well yes. An unopened red bottle of wine. Not being funny here but I don't get why you'd need a display bottle filled with blackcurrant instead of just using a real one? Where's it being displayed that this is necessary?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Another poor me immigrant from Africa , they swear the world owes them a living . Africans think they're the only people in history that were slaves or had a hard time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I find blacks to be some of the most horrible and racist. In no way all but I've had quite a few dealings over the years in work.

I have friends that are not Irish or white so before anyone throws the card at me I've heard it all before....

What an absolute tool that one.

Hive mentality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I once ordered a pizza with pineapple and sweetcorn. When I got it it was also covered in ham which I hadn't ordered. I'm white, or more accurately a kind of pinkish colour like ham. Racist bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Have to say I find this really bizarre. I’ve ordered hundreds of glasses of wine in my brief few years drinking it. I’ve also been around people who drink it ordering it possibly thousands of times. Not once have we been mistakenly served blackcurrant cordial (from a display bottle or otherwise). Nor have I ever heard of this happening to anyone on a night out.

As 1641 has said display bottles would be out of reach because they’re just for that; display. The idea that once it was poured the mistake would not have been noticed by staff is also hard to believe. I don’t know what happened here but I am skeptical of the hotel's version of events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭boring accountant

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Have to say I find this really bizarre. I’ve ordered hundreds of glasses of wine in my brief few years drinking it. I’ve also been around people who drink it ordering it possibly thousands of times. Not once have we been mistakenly served blackcurrant cordial (from a display bottle or otherwise). Nor have I ever heard of this happening to anyone on a night out.

As 1641 has said display bottles would be out of reach because they’re just for that; display. The idea that once it was poured the mistake would not have been noticed by staff is also hard to believe. I don’t know what happened here but I am skeptical of the hotel's version of events.

You've obviously never worked in such an environment as evidenced by the fact that your so called experience is as a customer.

It is very possible that the display bottle was used by an uninformed staff member. You have no reason to believe the display bottles were out of reach. Your experience as a customer is frankly worthless, because mistakes like this happen quite often, especially around very busy times of year.

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Well yes. An unopened red bottle of wine. Not being funny here but I don't get why you'd need a display bottle filled with blackcurrant instead of just using a real one? Where's it being displayed that this is necessary?

Because wine costs 50 times more than Ribena so it would be a complete waste to leave a real bottle up there on display for any length of time.

You've obviously never worked in such an environment as evidenced by the fact that your so called experience is as a customer.

It is very possible that the display bottle was used by an uninformed staff member. You have no reason to believe the display bottles were out of reach. Your experience as a customer is frankly worthless, because mistakes like this happen quite often, especially around very busy times of year.

That’s why I quoted 1641 who has experience it would seem from his post (and said display bottles were kept out of reach).

If by mistakes like this you mean the wrong drink being served I would agree. But if you mean this specific mistake if it happens so often I would expect more people to have encountered it. Have you encountered this specific mistake yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I have ordered chicken and been served fish. I have been served Heineken instead of Guinness - the list goes on.

Were these places saying I was fish like? Or that I resembled an Irish person more do than a Dutch person? Or perhaps **** just happens and orders and bottles get fuked up by minimum wage staff.

But seriously wtf? An entitled snowflake needs a kick up the proverbial rear end and told to cop on. Unfortunatly the problem with social media such as Twitter is that it give eejits a place to hold the rest of the world to ransom.

A PhD is a level of education exemplifying an ability to reason and use logic. Something which has clearly not met the mark here. UCD needs to take itself outside for a check what the fuk is up to with this type of ****e and helping to play the PC bandwagon...

That’s why I quoted 1641 who has experience it would seem from his post (and said display bottles were kept out of reach).

If by mistakes like this you mean the wrong drink being served I would agree. But if you mean this specific mistake if it happens so often I would expect more people to have encountered it. Have you encountered this specific mistake yourself?

Have I ever witnessed a customer being served Ribena when they asked for wine? No, but anyone who says the hotel's story doesn't add up has an agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,813 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its impossible for the story to have happened, blackcurrant cordial isn't served in a wine glass and cordial bottles and wine bottles are entirely unalike. Even if it was some mix up with the splash taps at the bar, i don't see how it could be construed as racism, I mean what's the worst that could happen, another staff member or manager simply brings the red wine as ordered, even if the original server was racist, why would they risk it all on something inconsequential?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Raconteuse wrote: »
    People are so desperate to be outraged by her that they're ignoring how bizarre and dubious it is.

Now I cannot stand people who behave like she does but that's not grounds for neglecting to acknowledge the oddness of the situation.

Utterly bizarre brain farts can happen though. I’ve made mistakes before where I can’t understand how I made them. When the charge is racism, one must be sure they are right and the oddness extends both ways here. As a mistake, it’s odd but as a racist gesture, it’s just as odd. IMO, on balance the benefit of the doubt should be given here. Calling somebody racist is serious.

Have I ever witnessed a customer being served Ribena when they asked for wine? No, but anyone who says the hotel's story doesn't add up has an agenda.

I have no agenda. I'm skeptical about their version of events.

Have you ever been in a situation where a customer received the wrong drink because someone poured it from a display bottle?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Thought you can't call blackcurrants blackcurrants anymore.

What is the PC term now? I guess Coloured or Darky currants is even more “offensive”?

I didn't have an agenda, I'd just never heard of a display bottle full of blackcurrant. If there was such a thing knocking around, then yes it is entirely plausible some staff member simply made a mistake. After looking at her twitter, I'd tend to side with the hotel over her.

Anyone know where this idiot got her doctorate? Groupon or one them? Wouldn’t mind picking one up, especially if there’s a January sale price.

Likely another useful Feminist/Social Studies graduate. Long gone are the days when Universities were bastions of real intelligence and analytical thought

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

How many times have you heard this incident manifested as a racist tactic though?

Id wager never.

I also do not know what happened but she doubled down the racism card when she described being served by a black staff member.

She then called for all "Blacks" to visit the hotel to not let them "win".

Id believe the hotel before her tbh. Context is everything, she had everything to gain by going bananas and her job is the subject matter.

Seizing an opportunistic chance to keep herself relevent.

Have you ever been in a situation where a customer received the wrong drink because someone poured it from a display bottle?

No, but I've poured drinks from display bottles after running out of others. If those bottles had been filled with Ribena without my knowledge then it would have certainly happened then.

The question you should be asking me is have I ever seen someone purposefully mess with a customer's food or drink, because that's the real issue here. I haven't. Ever. If you have a bad customer you want to get them out the door as soon as possible. You don't want them calling you over giving you grief and you certainly don't want to give them the high ground by actually f-ing with them. The idea that this was deliberate is far far less likely than the idea it was an accident.

How many times have you heard this incident manifested as a racist tactic though?

Id wager never.

I also do not know what happened but she doubled down the racism card when she described being served by a black staff member.

She then called for all "Blacks" to visit the hotel to not let them "win".

Id believe the hotel before her tbh. Context is everything, she had everything to gain by going bananas and her job is the subject matter. Seizing the change to keep herself relevent.
    I love how she sees drumming up business for the hotel as her somehow winning :pac: And she has a PhD :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Could you imagine if they mixed up her dessert , and brought her out a banana split .

• Advertisement

She really does nothing to help me overcome my held stereotype of Nigerians in Ireland. In fact she just reinforced it with another 10 ft of solid concrete

Could you imagine if they mixed up her dessert , and brought her out a banana split .

Or a Blackforest Gateau with a black coffee on the side !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭PonchoMcHoncho

I've gotten unwashed glasses, half drank drinks that ended up on the tray to the table rather than to the dishwasher, other peoples drinks from a different table. In a busy restaurant if something gets laid down in the wrong spot for whatever reason someone else will pick it up. It's probably happened before but this is the first time it's turned into a public incident because it's the first time someone decided it constitutes a hate crime!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Wondering if these lads got served up some of the auld blackcurrent last night:

https://www.bitchute.com/video/yknzA499BAgG/

Sounds like a wild time all the same. Happy new year!

sabat wrote: »
    I'm open to correction here but didn't she arrive here as part of the great anchor-baby asylum swindle of the late 90s/early 00s?

A lot of them did- and we are now truly bearing the fruits of that insanity right now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭Augme

tuxy wrote: »
    You don't know that a shop/restaurant/hotel sometimes display boxes/bottles for advertising purposes that don't have the actual product inside? :confused:

Sure it was stupid but only someone with an agenda would take the racism angle in that situation.

I get that they might not have the actual product in them, what I don't get is his they end up with another product in them. Also, I've seen cordial decanted into clear glass bottles that can easily pour a shot quantity.

Can't say I have ever heard of cordial being poured into a empty wine bottle and I've never seen anywhere that has pre mixed cordial either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I once ordered a vegetable lasagna in a restaurant from the menu. When I cut into it I saw that it was beef. Beef lasagna wasn't written anywhere on the menu. I thought it was strange that I had more trouble getting something that was on the menu than something that wasn't. Just because something seems a bit odd doesn't mean someone had it in for me.

Then again I don't have a job that relies on people being racist. This woman sounds like she's always on the look out for material to use. If she went on Twitter and talked about how nice people are she'd be broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Theres a fair few of her supporters labelling anyone with an opposite view as being racist.

They are also apologising on behalf of the rest of Ireland because of the incident. It's mind boggling.

She also deleted her apology to the hotel for "my Tweets yesterday" but did not specifically apologise for the accusation of deliberate racism.

She also maintains she has a solid case against them anyway, due to being served the "display" wine. Basically HACCP or some other unfit for consumption nonsense.

But its ok....she wants to just forget about it now. Thats not how it works love, you put it into the public domain, you can deal with the fallout.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

road_high wrote: »
    What is the PC term now? I guess Coloured or Darky currants is even more “offensive”?

undercurrants of racism there all-right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

And the blackcurrent did flow ..

Advertisement