Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The case of the racist blackcurrant drink

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Nobody dragged her into Ireland.
    If she finds so much wrong with it she can leave.
    Nobody will keep her here against her will.

She comes across as a right pain in the hole.

As said already, UCD is funding and rewarding this kind of behaviour. She isn't going anywhere.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

AulWan wrote: »
    For the record, in my fifty plus years of life so far, I have never, ever, in all that time, heard of the word blackcurrant being used as a racial slur - against children, or otherwise.

That's a totally new one on me, if that is the case.

It makes me think of Brass Eye and the 'Drugs' episode and the hysteria around Cake. Let's just make something up and get annoyed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

She is a hateful racist and encourages as many people as she can to be horrible like her ,

why is it allowed when she is black but is she was white she would be arrested ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭SteM

tuxy wrote: »
    She now works at UCD because only a facility with such a stupid PHD would hire someone who had taken their PHD course.

It would seem she speeds all her time finding racial inequality where there is none.

RACE!!
    zzzDrEbunJosephUCDSep2018_large.jpg?width=648&s=ie-870383

Can't believe that two white people photobombed her like that, bloody racists.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,491 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

mynamejeff wrote: »
    She is a hateful racist and encourages as many people as she can to be horrible like her ,

why is it allowed when she is black but is she was white she would be arrested ?

It is allowed because people are idiots.

Ireland doesn't owe anything to anybody based on their skin colour.

The notions we have about race all come from America where black people were kept as slaves. The thing is Irish people were also kept as slaves in America, we have also been dehumanised abused and left to die in the past. Being black doesn't entitle you to moan and whinge about perceived racism particularly in a country which has a history of oppression that dwarfs the experience of African people in terms of the length of time it lasted by comparison.

The woman in question here is a professional victim who thinks she is living in a land of former slaves owners as if she was living in the deep south in the United States of America.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Honestly does any actually know how we are going to defend ourselves from people like her.....

I absolutely hate anything to do with people been put down or attacked etc etc.... I've no time for racists either but honestly when someone such as her is offended by everything that has absolutely nothing to do with race then where do we stand.

I see us all as equal human beings which we are.

Honestly does any actually know how we are going to defend ourselves from people like her.....

I absolutely hate anything to do with people been put down or attacked etc etc.... I've no time for racists either but honestly when someone such as her is offended by everything that has absolutely nothing to do with race then where do we stand.

Stop with the useless social justice University courses to begin with and take it from there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

You're not serious, so basically it's open season for the perpetually offended, social justice warriors and overly sensitive.

There goes comedy gigs out of the window.

No doubt Christmas crackers will be banned soon enough because some dude decides he's a horse and finds a joke about a donkey and equates his emotions with how a donkey is a horse, and then he's ruined Christmas over a bit of ink a cap and paper...

Meanwhile some dude order's a black Russian from a bar in Dingle from a blow in SJW...
    All hell breaks loose and he's accused of looking for a sexual favour or alluding she's working in a brothel...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Nobody dragged her into Ireland.
    If she finds so much wrong with it she can leave.
    Nobody will keep her here against her will.

She comes across as a right pain in the hole.

Why would they head home?? They only came here for our generous welfare system. Most of them were either pregnant or soon to be , once they got here . Where else could you arrive in another country , go down to the welfare office and get a house, medical card, social welfare, and to top it all off , the more kids you have ,the more money you'll get off the state. All without contributing one cent to the economy Most came over when the country was flooded with work but you'd be lucky to see one working cos they'd lose their benefits. It's some system we have here. But I'm sure they'll blame racism for a lack of employment.

If you were to compare how much money was paid to Africans in social welfare payments, children's and rent allowance etc against how much tax Africans have paid through working . I'd guess the figure is huge on money paid to them .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

nullzero wrote: »
    It is allowed because people are idiots.

Ireland doesn't owe anything to anybody based on their skin colour.

The notions we have about race all come from America where black people were kept as slaves. The thing is Irish people were also kept as slaves in America, we have also been dehumanised abused and left to die in the past. Being black doesn't entitle you to moan and whinge about perceived racism particularly in a country which has a history of oppression that dwarfs the experience of African people in terms of the length of time it lasted by comparison.

The woman in question here is a professional victim who thinks she is living in a land of former slaves owners as if she was living in the deep south in the United States of America.
    London too.

No Blacks

No Dogs

No Irish

• Advertisement

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    London too.

No Blacks

No Dogs

No Irish

Exactly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

We're not all equal that's for sure, we have equal opportunities and rights to follow the laws of the land and work our way to a better standard of living and being useful.

Opinions and slagging off should be allowed, wrongful accusations and harassment isn't a good way to be.

But if someone personalised someone's opinion or jokes and feels they're a victim that's their problem not the person who is doing the joking or banter.

People are gone soooo sensitive and lack any strength to rise above and see a joke for what it is...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

London too.

No Blacks

No Dogs

No Irish

What do you think happened to Irish people who went to london or new york and never worked to earn a wage or contributed anything ?

they were left in the street or they came home

dont think many were given free collage degrees in a highly personalized topic then hired by the same collage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Ush1 wrote: »
    An Afro event?
    Yep, not Irish-Afro, or any other inclusive name. Imagine if it were advertised the other way 'round; there would be uproar by RTE and the other similar Groupthink media outlets.

The disturbing news is that we haven't seen anything yet.
    The Red Cow incident, the black gangs causing havoc around the country, the racial tension that now exists in Ireland as a result of Ribena-gate and other made-up racial injustices, and now we have to walk on egg shells when dealing with blacks in Ireland because any perceived racism by them will have the Gardai banging on our doors.

And you need to remember that it will be continually proclaimed that it is all the native's fault for the multitude of racial incidences that will undoubtedly happen in the future. We didn't nurture them enough, we did not give them nicer houses, we did not pay them extra welfare benefits, we did not do enough ................ no matter how much we do; we will never be able to do enough for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,394 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I hope UCD don’t have to get to the point of dismissing her.

Call me an eternal optimist but I’m hoping she actually shows a bit of decency at the very last opportunity and hands in her notice to UCD and pays any pension/severance funds to a variety of Irish charities. It’s the least we can ask for.

London too.

No Blacks

No Dogs

No Irish

YUP.. they had the middle passage and we had coffin ships. they were taken in chains, we left due to famine, oppression and economic hardship. like beauty, colour is in the eye of the beholder, for us all. I can see why John Cleese left Britain, between leftist media, PC culture, cancel culture and all in between, things are getting out of hand. Now we've handed this type of person a beating stick to actually hit is with!! talk about coming to exploit and not embrace a country.. We Irish had links to kennedy, African americans had OBAMA, god forbid if he'd have suffered the same fate of a hazy Texas morning! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

Ugly person, both inside and out.

Then again, she may just have been brainwashed by her "education". If that's the case I feel sorry for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Black Gemma O'Doherty

Speaking of which

https://twitter.com/gemmaod1/status/1212693642646818816?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 15,394 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

That video is Sickening and disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

Those lads will surely face disciplinary action when they go back to work in the medical and engineering fields on Monday morning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

https://twitter.com/i/status/1209588373263978496 mean while in cork, put volume up

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭TwoMonthsOff

https://twitter.com/i/status/1209588373263978496 mean while in cork, put volume up

I dont know how that lad walked out of hospital the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

That´s a sickening thud. The lad is lucky to be alive or not brain damaged for life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I dont know how that lad walked out of hospital the next day.
    They said he died and the incident happened in September. Are they wrong or a different incident?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

There should be an attempted murder charge brought against the perpetrator.
    But the usual cadre of open border types on here will say it was just young lads having a fight.
    Disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

They said he died and the incident happened in September. Are they wrong or a different incident?

Happened 23rd of december, was discharged from hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

That Tweet triggered wild speculation, including mistaken links to a previous serious assault off St Patrick’s St, several months ago, which led to the death of a man, in hospital, some weeks later, and incorrect suggestions that the injured party in the video clip had died.

Gardaí have now confirmed that the incident in the video clip occurred close to Carroll’s Quay, at around 1am on Monday, December 23. The injured man, who has an address in Cork, was brought to Cork University Hospital for treatment and has since been discharged. He is understood to be receiving follow-up treatment.

From the Examiner, different incident

• Registered Users Posts: 33,180 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That video is Sickening and disgusting.

I know, it went from proper aspect to 90degrees off, bloody hard to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Okay, there's always violent people, no matter where from.

That said, I'm literally after viewing a fight between races on the streets of Dublin above there, and the bloke getting his head bounced off the ground by an obviously non-irish person (maybe the other fella is from Poland, who knows, who can tell anymore?!)

This stuff raises the hairs on the back of your neck.

Words just won't justify the the shock/realisation that this is happening here. It's lala land, it's madness, it's like an alternate dimension or something.

Who, in their right fooking mind thought this was what the country needed? Who asked for this? It's just sickening and bizarre all wrapped up in one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Any one single error or error type however might be individually rare - but that makes it neither weird or bizarre.

Thanks for your clarifications but the point of view you are taking, which is a sort of at a cosmic, God's view, 10,000 miles up level is not how most people experience life or regard incidents as weird or bizarre. At the level you are looking at it no incident might ever be considered weird or out of place because the odds are, given the billions of people or interactions on the planet, it was going to happen to someone at some point.

The rarity of the event is just one factor. The incongruity of it is another. I daresay if it were to happen to you, or if you were to receive your Guinness in a brandy glass, or your steak in a soup bowl, you wouldn't react by saying, "Hmmm, given the busy nature of such environments this particular mistake was bound to happen to someone, at sometime. Nothing remarkable here." You'd be more likely to go, "Wow! That's weird*!"

*Please insert the synonym of your choosing.

If people wish to read a lot into the adjective I'm using then that's part of the problem with modern discourse (and, ironically almost identical to the problem many of them are complaining about in the first place - the full sure knowledge that they know exactly what was meant when it is they who have read too much into things).
    And that expectation appears to be what is not warranted. Most people would forget such a minor and irrelevant incident as soon as it happens. Why would they even care - without an agenda like the woman in the OP has - to even mention it to anyone even if they did remember it? My experience getting potatoes for example - I had entirely and completely forgotten about it until this thread reminded me. I never had cause before - nor will I again I suspect - to mention it to anyone. Nor did I care to tell anyone on the occasions where I ordered one drink and got another by mistake. It happens.

On the contrary, people are social animals and prone to share the details of their lives at the drop of a hat. People share stories with me of unremarkable meals, of astounding meals and of awful meals. People post pics of what they're having for dinner to Instagram and other people look at these pictures. Even your own experience of getting potatoes is one you remembered despite the mundanity of it.

I don't care about occasions where I've ordered one drink and got another either. But I do remember when a barman served me a Guinness and I hadn't asked for one because of the confusion it caused him, me and my mate who knew I didn't drink. I also remember when a barman served me a half of Guinness in a ridiculously long glass. Unusual things happen and people remember them and talk about them.
    Maybe the reason you do not hear about these incidents is not that they are not happening - but that no one for the most part gives a toss. Maybe the people permanently in a state of looking to be offended - so they can tell everyone about it - are a rare enough and recent new breed of idiot.

I doubt it. There have always been cranks. The internet, and Twitter in particular it seems to me, have just given them an amplifier. The worrying thing is the very people annoyed by this are the ones who only amplify them more. I would never have heard of this if it weren't for this thread. Had I somehow, I wouldn't have started a thread about it. Especially if her tweet annoyed me to the point where I thought she didn't deserve an audience.

Advertisement