Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The case of the racist blackcurrant drink

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

sabat wrote: »
    The Red Cow incident was apparently a pre-arranged showdown between Blanchardstown and Tallaght.

Blackcurrant version of Bohs vs Rovers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

iamstop wrote: »
    Of the Funk and Soul board, not AH. :rolleyes:

Yes I said A moderator not THE moderator . And implying people are morons because you don't agree with their opinion [ on an opinion based site] is pitiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Yep .this cnut is desperate to position herself as the foremost voice on racism in Ireland and carve herself a nice little retainer in rte/newstalk/.......
    And your a moderator, smug twat

Mod - can you post without resorting to insults? Less of it please

iamstop wrote: »
    Moran: (Irish: Ó Móráin) is a modern Irish surname and derived from membership of a medieval dynastic sept.

Moron: The majority of small minded people posting in this thread.

Me: Sips tea.
    Omackeral wrote: »
    *you're

This is not a thread on grammar correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Notdeco

sabat wrote: »
    The Red Cow incident was apparently a pre-arranged showdown between Blanchardstown and Tallaght.
    Ah got it, a UN type mediation.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    This is not a thread on grammar correction.

You're right, it's not. However, there's a beautiful irony in somebody calling somebody else a moran when they mean moron.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭anotherfinemess

Thought you can't call blackcurrants blackcurrants anymore.

Now they are currants of colour

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

tuxy wrote: »
    I'm not sure but I think it's a night club like event where the music and atmosphere resembles what you would see in clubs in Nigeria.

That’s s**** music in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

What if Dr Ebun Joseph is really Dr Ebun Josephtheparrot? :eek:

You’d get the same level of sense and discourse tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

You're right, it's not. However, there's a beautiful irony in somebody calling somebody else a moran when they mean moron.

Simple rule of battle - Never interrupt your enemy when they are making mistakes.

Will only get it back with both barrels when you point them out, and others get caught in the crossfire.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Just watched a few videos that were taken at The Red Cow absolute madness it is.

The have no fear of the Guards and will play the race card to try and get out of any trouble they find themselves in, and this idiot makes it a lot easier for them downplaying the riot that happened at the hotel.

Times like this I'm glad I live in in a place where it's all local Irish people who grew up in the area and there is no trouble at all.

Multiculturalism is a failure all over Europe, did the left really think Ireland would be any different?

This is only going to get worse unfortunately.

We are seeing the generation of the great Citizenship swindle of the late 90s/early 2000s now come of age and with them the violence of their gang culture identity. Could you imagine the tsunami we would be dealing with if we hadn’t finally closed the door on that little scam?
    All we can hope is the Gardai take a hard line and not be deterred by the inevitable race card cries when dealing with this type of criminality that is fairly new to Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Really bizarre case this. Not sure if the serving of blackcurrant instead of wine was deliberate but it sounds it to me, mainly because cordial needs to be diluted so the server would have had to pour it into the wine glass and then top up with water. No pub/hotel goes and dilutes a litre of cordial into 10 or 12 wine bottles and then puts them on display so it has to be diluted.

Also feel the display bottle thing is a bit of a red herring, cordial comes in plastic bottles so not sure why there would be a need to transfer it into a wine bottle. Bars I worked in before had expensive bottles of Midleton whiskey on display on the counter for promotion purposes but they were filled with black tea in case anyone went and stole it. I've never heard of cordial being put into display bottles, in fact most pubs/hotels would prefer not display it at all as its literally the cheapest thing in the shop.

Finally in 4 and 5 star hotels everything has its own glass. Cordial would be servid in a slim jim or high ball glass, Ive never seen anywhere serve it in a wine glass unless a customer specifically asked for it.

Either way even though it looks suspicious she cant prove anything so think she should have just kept her mouth shut on Twitter.
    Ah FFS its not that hard to understand if you've worked in a large hotel, if you haven't then you just have to accept this is standard procedure in the industry and not a racist conspiracy:

-There are multiple bars in hotels, residents bars, multiple function room bars, maybe a bar in the restaurant plus the main bar.

-The bars have to be stocked, otherwise they look horrible and the people who booked them will complain.

-You cannot leave thousands of Euros of drink lying around these bars where drunk crowds are staggering around at 3am with a small handful of staff covering multiple bars.

-Its too time consuming to strip these bars down and restock in between services so the solution is to make up fake drinks in old bottles, diluted red lemonade in the whiskeys, water in the vodkas, and as happened here, ribena in the wines.

Have a look the next time you're at a wedding, the barman will be serving from only one of these because most of the spirits in the optics on the wall are fake, the same thing happens with the wineracks:

4CXFWoK.jpg

That way when the service is over that optic stand can be taken away and locked in the spirits store leaving the bar secure.

I worked in 2 of the busiest wedding venues in the country and there were many incidents of guests helping themselves to fake drinks when the bar was left unattended and also many incidents of inexperienced staff serving the fake stuff to poor punters aswell, this is a complete and utter non-story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Ebun is an African migrant who came to Ireland and has been provided with many opportunities that she would not of gotten in her homeland. Her qualification is invalid in the real world and is nothing more than an opinion piece. She insinuates that there is a racial hierarchy of whiteness in Ireland. She is nothing but a vile race baiter.

Iv been looking at comments on Twitter to this gobshoite and the comments on the videos with the mobs fighting each other too, In the bio's of alot of black commenters in Ireland, have anti-white sentiments and comments. Between the bio's and the sh*te they tweet, the likes of "Tired of the white Irish", "Im sick of white people for their bs", "I do not respect white people" "Im hate this Ireland place fr fr ", Ebun and her rhetoric is extremely dangerous and the dregs of rte enable it.

They seem to think they are above the law because of their race? Im genuinely convinced they think they're in the US & the Uk with this fake imported nonsense. Its appears to be a worldwide culture that's not specific to a certain geo graphic location. It's all to do with the Drill culture in the UK

https://twitter.com/izzyolaseni/status/1212687109565427712
    https://twitter.com/Black_BerryBabe/status/1212563249360769026

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

So the main trouble was last night at the red cow where a large number of Garda arrived on scene and then it kicked off again this morning?
    The videos would remind you of a traveller weddings.
    Is there anything the hotels can do to not accept these events while still hosting peaceful events?

So the main trouble was last night at the red cow where a large number of Garda arrived on scene and then it kicked off again this morning?
    The videos would remind you of a traveller weddings.
    Is there anything the hotels can do to not accept these events while still hosting peaceful events?
    Most likely get sued for racism unfortunately(or Ribena)

Notdeco wrote: »
    Most likely get sued for racism unfortunately(or Ribena)

Well that's what I would be worried about.
    But perhaps they have a way of dealing with it, I don't hear of many hotels that host wedding getting in trouble for not hosting travellers weddings.
    There are some cases but it's not happening all the time.

Well that's what I would be worried about.
    But perhaps they have a way of dealing with it, I don't hear of many hotels that host wedding getting in trouble for not hosting travellers weddings.
    There are some cases but it's not happening all the time.

But it would happen more with people of darker skin, don't ya think.

Didnt one of our traveller friends just lose the case against healy-rae. There are plenty of cases taken against businesses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

Ebun is an African migrant who came to Ireland and has been provided with many opportunities that she would not of gotten in her homeland. Her qualification is invalid in the real world and is nothing more than an opinion piece. She insinuates that there is a racial hierarchy of whiteness in Ireland. She is nothing but a vile race baiter.

Iv been looking at comments on Twitter to this gobshoite and the comments on the videos with the mobs fighting each other too, In the bio's of alot of black commenters in Ireland, have anti-white sentiments and comments. Between the bio's and the sh*te they tweet, the likes of "Tired of the white Irish", "Im sick of white people for their bs", "I do not respect white people" "Im hate this Ireland place fr fr ", Ebun and her rhetoric is extremely dangerous and the dregs of rte enable it.

They seem to think they are above the law because of their raj8ce? Im genuinely convinced they think they're in the US & the Uk with this fake imported nonsense. Its appears to be a worldwide culture that's not specific to a certain geo graphic location. It's all to do with the Drill culture in the UK

So it costs money to get in:
    Aerlingus.com

And money to get out:
    Ryanair.com

But once you’re here we give a thousand welcomes:
    http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/home.aspx

Notdeco wrote: »
    But it would happen more with people of darker skin, don't ya think.

I don't know because I'm not aware of any precedent with judges on this matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,580 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

They seem to think they are above the law because of their race? Im genuinely convinced they think they're in the US & the Uk with this fake imported nonsense. Its appears to be a worldwide culture that's not specific to a certain geo graphic location. It's all to do with the Drill culture in the UK

The people in those tweets are cretins.

I've said this earlier on this thread but African migrants complaining about white people in a country that was being treated like human waste by an imperial power hundreds of years prior to white imperialists arriving in Africa is laughable and indicative of a level of ignorance on these peoples parts of the history of the country they've decided to make home.

Not everything moves along lines of skin colour, and crying racism isn't and should never be accepted when it isn't justified. In much the same way racism shouldn't be tolerated this behaviour shouldn't be accepted either.

Glazers Out!

I don't know because I'm not aware of any precedent with judges on this matter.
    There is many cases of hotels getting sued by travellers over the years. You have to be blind not to read about it. It can only get worse.

And people wonder why businesses are being closed down because of insurance.

That is not just because of one group, it's because of people thinking they can make easy money off a business by claiming whatever.

But that's for another thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

How come we don't get these problems with Eastern Europeans or Asians.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Honestly the one thing I find most worrying about this whole issue is, I cannot find anything about what has been happening in Dublin in main stream media.

Our underfunded Gardai were tied up dealing with those fecking idiots for hours and the only publicity was gutter trash on social media.

Why?????

By pandering to this BS over the fear of being accused of racism, we are allowing them to get away with it.

This is what happened in London now large areas are no go zones

Crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭jt69er

1641 wrote:
    I have encountered it in a few places in Ireland myself - and the house wine was pretty tasty too. But these were smaller cafe-restaurant type places. I have never encountered it in a 4-star hotel. If the hotel concerned in this particular instance stores and serves its wine from carafes I will happily buy and eat a hat of your choice and stream it online!

I have installed wine on tap in numerous hotels and I understand they decant some into carafes in preparation for a busy period.

I've just realised something perhaps it was obvious.
    In the U.S grape drink is something that is associated with poor black families.
    Ribena is the closest thing we have to grape drink, this is why it was racist!
    I was really struggling to find the link to racism but I finally got there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Wasn't she saying they were trying to make a fool of her was the reason for thinking racism?
    It may be "weird" to some people but that doesnt indicate racism. We have people here who have said they mistook or know people who have mistook the display wine for real wine. So it obviously does happen.

Your point about ordering a specific wine is nonsense. Is it impossible for a display bottle of red wine to be in a genuine rioja, merlot or malbeck bottle? No, its not impossible.

If she did ask for a specific red wine, she would have stated so and in my opinion this would have made her version more plausable but thats not what she claimed happened.

Anyway, we all have differing viewpoints but I think people are raging that false accusations of casual racism should not be let away with.

It is even more annoying when this person has a lot to gain from the situation as she is employed in this area. She is taking advantage of a business that fcuked up and leaving a stigma which may negatively effect its future reputation for her immediate gain.

This should not have happened at all but racism is doubtful.
    Doubtful yes but impossible (on the part of one eejit) no. I am not desperate to find racism - I can't stand that kinda thing. Ireland is a mostly welcoming society despite what some like to say.

The stuff she's saying about the Red Cow is a joke. If the majority of youths were black and extra garda presence was required then it is what it is.

But mixing up red wine with Ribena or whatever blackcurrant cordial just seems so implausible. Maybe it was the carafe mix-up as suggested though.

Raconteuse wrote: »
    But mixing up red wine with Ribena or whatever blackcurrant cordial just seems so implausible. Maybe it was the carafe mix-up as suggested though.

Even if you find it implausible is there anything that would imply that it's racist?
    If not then I don't see how it matters.

As said before by another poster, if I was in a foreign country and was served potatoes by mistake the last place my mind would go to is racism.

I've just realised something perhaps it was obvious.
    In the U.S grape drink is something that is associated with poor black families.
    Ribena is the closest thing we have to grape drink, this is why it was racist!
    I was really struggling to find the link to racism but I finally got there.

Transplanting the negative aspects of a culture in a completely new nation with zero previous relationship to your own, along with extremely little expression of actual racism... is, simply, retarded.

There is no link. No need to justify her stance. She's completely intolerant of others. Mistakes happen. Part of living with other people is acknowledging that errors will occur. Otherwise, her behavior gives license for anyone to behave like a tool. Feck that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Even if you find it implausible is there anything that would imply that it's racist?
    If not then I don't see how it matters.

As said before by another poster, if I was in a foreign country and was served potatoes by mistake the last place my mind would go to is racism.
    "Let's take the piss out of the stupid black woman" I'm assuming. What would spuds look exactly like?

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

If these people see racism everywhere and see white people as oppressors - why do they move continents to live amongst white people in their native homelands?

Makes no sense.

• Advertisement

Raconteuse wrote: »
    "Let's take the piss out of the stupid black woman" I'm assuming. What would spuds look exactly like?

Why would you made such assumptions? I believe the only people who would find racism here are ones who actively look for it.
    Is there anything to imply the staff considered her stupid?

Advertisement