Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheltenham 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,576 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I can’t watch Cheltenham in the pub anymore . Too many once a year backers cleaning up while I’ve been studying it all year crying into my pint. Where did it all go wrong !! I watch it from the sofa now with a few cans

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Anyone else here backing Honeysuckle to beat Beni, or is it just silly me !!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Going to wait and see where Apples Jade goes.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Going to wait and see where Apples Jade goes.

You wouldn't...........................................

You wouldn't...........................................

She was only winning a grade 1 hurdle at Christmas? Nothing would surprise me if I am honest. If she turns up at the festival I will be backing her wherever she goes, they won't send her over if she is not right.

Champion Hurdle 33's , she is only 8 and one of the favourites last year.
    Mares Hurdle 20's in places, former winner.
    Stayers 25's with hills generally 16's I would expect 20's that morning.

If she goes she is fit , that is a given, they would not be risking her otherwise. Mares with her experience are entitled to not bother the odd time, they get cuter as they get older.

I would rather lose a score on her, than trying to chose between BDD and Honeysuckle.

• Advertisement

I'm aboard.

She was only winning a grade 1 hurdle at Christmas? Nothing would surprise me if I am honest. If she turns up at the festival I will be backing her wherever she goes, they won't send her over if she is not right.

Champion Hurdle 33's , she is only 8 and one of the favourites last year.
    Mares Hurdle 20's in places, former winner.
    Stayers 25's with hills generally 16's I would expect 20's that morning.

If she goes she is fit , that is a given, they would not be risking her otherwise. Mares with her experience are entitled to not bother the odd time, they get cuter as they get older.

I would rather lose a score on her, than trying to chose between BDD and Honeysuckle.

Christ, you are a braver man than me
    I wouldn't back her with a free bet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Cannot stand the once a year brigade down the pub

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

same here

she doesnt act at cheltenham simple as

roger where are you watching it , wherever it is im meeting ya .

• Advertisement

I think at the prices she is worth a craic if she goes. I think you can say the same about Samcro. 18 months ago he was the greatest NH racehorse the country had seen. Now after one fall he is called a pig.... I don't think so. If he turns up somewhere at around 16 or 20's he needs to be backed, wherever he goes.

Elliott is a genius, it is that simple. He knows what to do.

I have seen you follow Yorkhill over a cliff at skimpier prices Roger, I am not trying to be smart by saying that either. But as I said, at the prices some of them can't be ignored. If they are taking their chance, I am taking mine.

I think at the prices she is worth a craic if she goes. I think you can say the same about Samcro. 18 months ago he was the greatest NH racehorse the country had seen. Now after one fall he is called a pig.... I don't think so. If he turns up somewhere at around 16 or 20's he needs to be backed, wherever he goes.

Elliott is a genius, it is that simple. He knows what to do.

I have seen you follow Yorkhill over a cliff at skimpier prices Roger, I am not trying to be smart by saying that either. But as I said, at the prices some of them can't be ignored. If they are taking their chance, I am taking mine.

I am with you on the Samcro one actually
    At a big price he will definitely get a tenner, just in case!!
    I am not saying he WILL win, but he is getting a few pound if he rocks up at 10/1 or bigger
    EOL seems to think they might have him right, who know!

Re Yorkhill, i will be backing him again in a few weeks in the handicap in Ayr
    I retain the faith!!

akelly02 wrote: »

Heading for Enniscorthy this year man!
    Will be in a pub called "The Rasher Counter" not messing!
    Tis actually Doyle's but its known as The Rasher Counter for years

If Faugheen jumps the last in contention, just stick your head out a window, where ever you are, and listen for my dulcet tones as they carry across the nation.........
    Cos i am putting ye all on notice now lads, if Faugheen wins at the festival, expect some EXTREMELY emotional drunken posts from me that day!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

same here

she doesnt act at cheltenham simple as

Did she not win the mares one of the years? Done VVM on the line by a snot

Gringo180 wrote: »

She also was beaten in CH, beaten in MH and beaten in the Triumph by Ivanovic bloody Gorbatov !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭robwen

Can anyone recommend a decent pub in Kilkenny city for the Thursday of the festival?

Christy's usually good for racing

Gringo180 wrote: »
    She also was beaten in CH, beaten in MH and beaten in the Triumph by Ivanovic bloody Gorbatov !

She has also won 11 grade 1's. On her day she would stuff the Champion Hurdle field, give BDD and Honeysuckle a beating and I wouldn't like to bet against her giving Paisley Park a run for his money. She will not be coming back to him like some of the others do, if he spits the bit at all he would struggle to catch her on her day.

Just saying. At the prices if she arrives at the start fit and ready I will be getting on.

She has also won 11 grade 1's. On her day she would stuff the Champion Hurdle field, give BDD and Honeysuckle a beating and I wouldn't like to bet against her giving Paisley Park a run for his money. She will not be coming back to him like some of the others do, if he spits the bit at all he would struggle to catch her on her day.

Just saying. At the prices if she arrives at the start fit and ready I will be getting on.

She just simply is not a Cheltenham Horse
    some horses are made for cheltenham, you can hang your hat on them performing there, horses like Vautour, Hurricane Fly, Big Bucks. They just loved Cheltenham
    Some great horses just never loved the place. AJ is one, Silvinaco is another
    It's just not for them. AJ has had more bad runs than good runs there. I see no reason whatsoever to think she would turn that around this year.
    I get why you are backing her Moron, I am just saying I wouldn't
    Not a hope

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

It would be criminal not to back her if shes double figures.

Where is Darasso going? Will he run in Champ Hurdle. Think hes a huge chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭howareyakid

Looking at the Gold Cup I can’t help being drawn to Clan Des Obeaux. There are the obvious question marks about his course form but he looked extremely impressive at Kempton over the Christmas, albeit in conditions not exactly comparable to Cheltenham. At around 8/1 generally, some of the value might be gone out of the price but after gaining the experience of finishing fifth in the race last year and not doing a lot wrong since, I feel he could have as good a chance as any.

Looking at the Gold Cup I can’t help being drawn to Clan Des Obeaux. There are the obvious question marks about his course form but he looked extremely impressive at Kempton over the Christmas, albeit in conditions not exactly comparable to Cheltenham. At around 8/1 generally, some of the value might be gone out of the price but after gaining the experience of finishing fifth in the race last year and not doing a lot wrong since, I feel he could have as good a chance as any.

It is very tempting based on his King George Run. However Nicholls was just as bullish last year. I am taking the line that he is a flat track bully. Nicholls is also saying that they ran him at Ascot last year and that that caused him to underperform.... I don't know.

If you could ignore his Cheltenham form his price is juicy.

It is very tempting based on his King George Run. However Nicholls was just as bullish last year. I am taking the line that he is a flat track bully. Nicholls is also saying that they ran him at Ascot last year and that that caused him to underperform.... I don't know.

If you could ignore his Cheltenham form his price is juicy.

His profile reminds me a bit of Native River’s before he made the breakthrough in 2018 where I feel he gained from the experience of the previous year although you could argue he finished stronger that year behind Sizing John than Clan did last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

If Faugheen jumps the last in contention, just stick your head out a window, where ever you are, and listen for my dulcet tones as they carry across the nation.........
    Cos i am putting ye all on notice now lads, if Faugheen wins at the festival, expect some EXTREMELY emotional drunken posts from me that day!!!

Hon the Roger!!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 The Hoarse Whisperer

For the Gold Cup personally I am being drawn more and more to Kemboy at 7s. Will probably hang on a while to see what way the ground will be but if he gets his conditions I think he could be a great bet. Proved himself to be the best staying chaser of last season imo and improved on his first run there in the Irish Gold Cup a few weeks back. Reckon he must be campaigned by Mullins and co with the Cheltenham Gold Cup in mind this year and if he improves again which I think he can I think he will go close.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Watch the replay if last years race and he had the perfect trip around with 2 to jump, inside track and level with al boum photo and a couple of lengths ahead of anibale fly and bristol de mai. All four horses either level to him or behind him beat him up the hill. Flat track horse in my mind and cant be having him.

Gold cup is going to be another great race. They are all on about the Queen mother but I reckon the Gold Cup is going to be class. There is definitely 7 or 8 horses that can win it.

carq wrote: »
    Watch the replay if last years race and he had the perfect trip around with 2 to jump, inside track and level with al boum photo and a couple of lengths ahead of anibale fly and bristol de mai. All four horses either level to him or behind him beat him up the hill. Flat track horse in my mind and cant be having him.

Yeah that’s a fair point. He definitely has a lot to prove around Cheltenham but I feel he may he open to improvement.

Heading for Enniscorthy this year man!
    Will be in a pub called "The Rasher Counter" not messing!
    Tis actually Doyle's but its known as The Rasher Counter for years

Ok I won’t be meeting ya so !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,576 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Gold cup is going to be another great race. They are all on about the Queen mother but I reckon the Gold Cup is going to be class. There is definitely 7 or 8 horses that can win it.

That’s about the amount that will line up in the gold cup 7/8. Small field but competitive

Advertisement