Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheltenham 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Anyone know what race McFabulous will run in ? Entered in the Coral and the Pipe hurdle. Runs this Saturday in Sandown ?

He’d have to win to get into pipe . He’d have to go for pipe for the extra 2 days I’d imagine. I’ve him backed already for that at 20/1 nrnb, which he still is .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭maximo31

Looks like John J O'Neill Jnr has been booked for Front View in the MP according to Kevin Blake. I see the money is coming for him too. Reckon this ends my Palmers Hill hopes too if JJ isn't riding for his father here.
    I think Front View will go off short here. Will take some of the 7's available now.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Croll

maximo31 wrote: »
    Looks like John J O'Neill Jnr has been booked for Front View in the MP according to Kevin Blake. I see the money is coming for him too. Reckon this ends my Palmers Hill hopes too if JJ isn't riding for his father here.
    I think Front View will go off short here. Will take some of the 7's available now.

JP also has the Favourite in this race that is 5s in places, question is which one of them will be trying for this, where have you seen that JJ o'neill has been booked?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

When i told everyone last week after his Navan run he was 20s with Ladbrokes. I left work and legged it over to get a bet on :D

Tbh its the trickiest race of the festival for me, so many horses laid out, so many well handicapped! No one does it better than JP though!!

Column of Fire has a massive chance here too.

Slattsy wrote: »
    When i told everyone last week after his Navan run he was 20s with Ladbrokes. I left work and legged it over to get a bet on :D

Tbh its the trickiest race of the festival for me, so many horses laid out, so many well handicapped! No one does it better than JP though!!

Column of Fire has a massive chance here too.

Good pick alright! I think COF might go Coral cup off his mark

I'm sure we'll know our faiths with JP's ones before the off anyways

• Advertisement

Croll wrote: »
    Good pick alright! I think COF might go Coral cup off his mark

I'm sure we'll know our faiths with JP's ones before the off anyways

They'll all be trying at Cheltenham. The battle is getting them all there, with a nice weight. Then let them all off. They generally know which is one is better off, but more than one tend to be at the business end.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭spuddiesal

Slattsy wrote: »
    Good luck to all you Paint the Dream backers, i hope he comes in for you at the prices. But i just dont see it, and i really wanted to!

I went balls deep into this race last night, and i think the fav Imperial Aura deserves to his place there but price isnt for me, though he may well win.

I'm taking him on however with Put the Kettle On. Really like that form of his last race, look what the 4th horse has gone on to do... I know he got a few lbs but he won that race well. Been put away since. Only concern is he jumps out to the right but hopefully HDB has ironed that out. I think 16s is extremely fair.

Put the kettle on is a mare..... can’t tip a horse if you don’t know what weight it will have on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Can anyone recommend a decent pub in Kilkenny city for the Thursday of the festival?

I'm down in KK a good bit, but must admit I haven't watched the racing down there before.

I'd suggest the Sceilp would be a good spot for it. Does food, nice pint, although not strictly in the City.

Aidan would be better placed to answer.

spuddiesal wrote: »
    Put the kettle on is a mare..... can’t tip a horse if you don’t know what weight it will have on the day

Even better! :cool:

JP also has the Favourite in this race that is 5s in places, question is which one of them will be trying for this, where have you seen that JJ o'neill has been booked?

https://twitter.com/SPGBETTING/status/1234609097565188100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Often wonder why this crops up each year.
    Do ye guys stir out at all during the rest of the year seeing as ye don't know where to go?

Just to add to the below responses from others...
    1) I don't drink on a Thursday afternoon
    2) I don't drink with people from work aside from Christmas Parties/Summer BBQ
    3) It needs to be central to suit us all again as it's work people
    4) I watch my weekend racing at home as I'm normally hungover from the Shels match on a Friday.... Racing is usually in the background in most pubs due to the football/rugby/whatever so at home is best normally
    Earendil wrote: »
    It's different. Some locals are ****€ for it....the Autobahn springs to mind. Do nothing, no promotions bets, no free bowl of stew...no free beer.
    Also, Gav is heading with a work crew and looking for recommendations for a place suitable for a group.
    And he has every right to ask what is a perfectly normal question.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

Flash the Steel for me in the MP, The form of his win in Chepstown is looking very well, has a nice weight of 138 and the Skelton's love a good handicap plot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Are shops doing NRNB or is it only online?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Are shops doing NRNB or is it only online?

Ask at the counter. Be careful in some of the independents. Most are now however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭PillarToPost

The champion hurdles that bad I think Darver star will win it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Flash the Steel for me in the MP, The form of his win in Chepstown is looking very well, has a nice weight of 138 and the Skelton's love a good handicap plot

Luckly heard Skelton, on tv being pressed for a tip for cheltenham a few weeks ago and he gave him as being underestimaded for this, and he was being prepared with Pipe in mind and would have a chance. He was 40/1 at the time, just about got on before it went all blue with my tiny bet.

He says 'I would think', no jockey booking confirmed

Think he has a great chance and he will be my bet in it, one of the only ones without major question marks for different reasons

He says 'I would think', no jockey booking confirmed

TBF i did say 'It looks like.' I didn't say it was a definite.

Realistically still needs to find around 3/4 stone. Has made lovely progress but I cannot see it. If you managed to get on at 3 figure AP prices lovely, but I think 10lbs is a big enough ask. People are looking too deeply into Cromwell upsetting the odds last year, the guy can train a horse for sure, I just think this is too much.

In saying all that if you can get 33's or 50's off a bookie go for it. But this time last year the horse was a 7 year old maiden rated 102. I just cannot see it happening all things considered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

It's different. Some locals are ****€ for it....the Autobahn springs to mind. Do nothing, no promotions bets, no free bowl of stew...no free beer.

Going to the autobahn for years first 2 days they stopped giving out food in the lounge around three years ago. They give out food in the bar now but you’re right they do **** all for gambling. No dockets or biros around the place and bring your own papers although Twitter/sporting life on phone does all that. Will be in it this year having said all that it suits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Realistically still needs to find around 3/4 stone. Has made lovely progress but I cannot see it. If you managed to get on at 3 figure AP prices lovely, but I think 10lbs is a big enough ask. People are looking too deeply into Cromwell upsetting the odds last year, the guy can train a horse for sure, I just think this is too much.

In saying all that if you can get 33's or 50's off a bookie go for it. But this time last year the horse was a 7 year old maiden rated 102. I just cannot see it happening all things considered.

Needs to find 3 or 4 stone. Are you drunk? That's circa 50lbs if he found 3 or 4 stone he would be the greatest hurdler of all time and win this champion hurdle by the length of the straight. If he improved a stone from his last run he would be right there at the finish. He wouldn't be for me but he would have some sort of chance.

IAMAMORON wrote: »

People keep bringing up the fact he was a 102 maiden but thats irrelevant now imo, could have brought the same argument before he was a length or two off envoi allen, abracadbras and Honeysuckle in his last 2 runs. I just dont see what horses are definitely going to run better than him they all have reasons to oppose them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

BoldReason wrote: »
    Needs to find 3 or 4 stone. Are you drunk? That's circa 50lbs if he found 3 or 4 stone he would be the greatest hurdler of all time and win this champion hurdle by the length of the straight. If he improved a stone from his last run he would be right there at the finish. He wouldn't be for me but he would have some sort of chance.

emm.......he meant 3/4 of a stone.....as in three quarters.......

BoldReason wrote: »

I said 3 quarters, take it all back please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

My bad. Apologies. The written word can make a fool of one at times.

People keep bringing up the fact he was a 102 maiden but thats irrelevant now imo, could have brought the same argument before he was a length or two off envoi allen, abracadbras and Honeysuckle in his last 2 runs. I just dont see what horses are definitely going to run better than him they all have reasons to oppose them

I would still rather be on better prices such as

Cornserstone Lad Grade 1 winner @ 33's
    Ballyandy - improved form this year @ 25's
    Sharjah - triple grade 1 winner and Galway hurdle winner @ 16's

Everyone knows that the Galway Hurdle is the best hurdle race in the world, that is all, there is no argument to be had here.

If it turns up heavy I think you will get a great run for your money with Cornerstone Lad, all the pundits don't give it a chance, lovely.

Either way you look at it the CH looks trappier than a class 5 handicap at Salisbury on a Tuesday night in late July. Keep the powder dry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭PillarToPost

Altior is going to win the champion chase, defi du seuils form is fair ****e in front of a 12 year old uds with waiting patiently and maracudja in behind him

• Advertisement

Loving the going description for Navan today on Irishracing.com. Such an Irish description! :
    Going - Heavy. Fine and cold.

Never seen that type of going before!

Advertisement