Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning emigrants who big themselves up in an unsuccessful bid to impress

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Maybe because most people don't just get given a "free site" and if they did, they wouldn't have the money to build a house.

A free site isnt everything it is cracked up to be either. I have the chance of one and its the back end of nowhere I would never stand a chance of getting a proper job. Then you have to put with your parents interfering with your wifes opinions. Recipe for disaster. That is bad enough you have to work out an exit strategy or live with the consequences for 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

As for econimcially depressed areas, yes there are but in most cases people are within a reasonable commute of a city large town with lots of employers and if living in their home area (or even living in Ireland for good) is your goal then you should be tailoring your area of work and work experience to match the jobs available.

Ireland is and for a long time been one of the most centralized countries in Europe with most opportunities centred around Dublin which is the most expensive city in the euro zone right now.
    Most of the cities around Ireland are small with little to offer many people in various professions.
    Also Ireland is far from a minor nation we have one of the best places in the world to live for a long list of reasons and we are a very important country in word business (tech, medical and pharma in particular), world agriculture and tourism among other things.
    But still emigration remains high which shows people still have reasons to leave. Where I live, the Irish community is huge and still getting bigger, although a lot of that is down to the quality of life keeping them here, etc.
    Anyway the above isn’t really what the thread is about to me it’s one part of why I want to live in Ireland but there are many others, simply not wanting to live abroad being a main reason.
    That’s fine, but for many people, it’s not enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

A free site isnt everything it is cracked up to be either. I have the chance of one and its the back end of nowhere I would never stand a chance of getting a proper job. Then you have to put with your parents interfering with your wifes opinions. Recipe for disaster. That is bad enough you have to work out an exit strategy or live with the consequences for 20 years.

But Mary would like the site so she can be near Mammy, Auntie Bridie and all her cousins.
    Then she can start popping out littles P.J. and Maggies and you can spend your life wondering how the **** you ended up there

People don’t actually believe these soap opera mother in law and daughter in law fighting stories do they? My wife gets on brilliantly with my mother and has no hesitation whatsoever in living next door to her and next door to other family members who also have houses close by too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,579 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Edgware wrote: »
    But Mary would like the site so she can be near Mammy, Auntie Bridie and all her cousins.
    Then she can start popping out littles P.J. and Maggies and you can spend your life wondering how the **** you ended up there

And alternatively you could live a happy life among people who care about you who would be there for you if you need them.

And if you were lucky yourself and Mary might be blessed with healthy children who would bring great joy to you both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

People don’t actually believe these soap opera mother in law and daughter in law fighting stories do they? My wife gets on brilliantly with my mother and has no hesitation whatsoever in living next door to her and next door to other family members who also have houses close by too.

Of course your wife and mother get along great, they are second cousins after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

It happens though, I know a guy who’s wife left him over his mother interfering in their marriage. She couldn’t live there any longer. Sad situation especially for the kids

Jamsiek wrote: »
    It happens though, I know a guy who’s wife left him over his mother interfering in their marriage. She couldn’t live there any longer. Sad situation especially for the kids

Yeah, heard that one too often. Mothers and Daughters in Law/ Fathers and sons in Law who dont know where the boundaries are drawn. "But we gave ye a site off the farm!"
    Dont start with that crap. My first girlfriend, her father had a face like a bull dog that had a face like a bulldog that stuck his face in a nest of hornets. God be good to the man, he was tormented, I know that now. I wouldnt want him as a neighbour. My girlfriend at the time wanted us all to live together. That marriage would have been fine if they all moved 10 miles down the road. It makes bad family history and blood that lasts for years afterwards.

You are constructing a nightmare there. Firstly you are indebting one side of the family more so than the other. Then you are dissolving proper family authority and constructs where a young couple need to find their own feet. I like my mother in law but she is 20 miles away and I wouldnt want her in my kitchen every morning when I leave and every evening when I get home. Proper space and borders. Good borders make good neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I think we are going off topic, all this talk of sites, living with parents, family feuds and marrying cousins sounds like Rathkeale.

• Advertisement

mandrake04 wrote: »
    I think we are going off topic, all this talk of sites, living with parents, family feuds and marrying cousins sounds like Rathkeale.

You are nothing but a bucket o' sh-ite and I am calling you and your lot out. I bate your brother around the place and when I was done I bate your father and now I am calling you out now in 2020. You just name the time and the place and I will be there with my crew. The Horse fair or Buttervant you know I will show up.

Buddy its been documented in the Bible and the Koran that you need to keep a bit of distance between these two parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Some people prefer not to travel and continue to live in some one horse town with a high level of inbreeding between cousins unknownst ( some times) to each other.. Highlight of the week is the two Martys.
    Marty on Winning Streak and Marty of the Sunday Game giving the rundown on d'match that was on d'telly
    Which Marty is it that gives the rundown of "d'match" on the Sunday Game?

Buddy its been documented in the Bible and the Koran that you need to keep a bit of distance between these two parties.

There will be 100 metres between our houses (less if you use side gates and walk through the field). Is that far enough for you?

There will be 100 metres between our houses (less if you use side gates and walk through the field). Is that far enough for you?

Distance helps but its really about borders.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

You'd still need to keep the window closed when you're riding or Mammy might hear

• Registered Users Posts: 14,579 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You'd still need to keep the window closed when you're riding or Mammy might hear

You underestimate Grannies.

Where do you reckon they think little PJ and Maggie came from?

Besides in an apartment in the Bronx you could have an Italian Mama listening in from the floor above.

Do you remember the scene from the "Savage Eye"?
    The one where the Mother in law is correcting the new daughter in law?
    "You're not doing it right, He likes his potato mashed fluffy"
    "You're not doing it right, You're holding the baby the wrong way"
    Later at night when the couple are in bed at nocturnal activities in the dark,
    and she is facilitating him orally... the door opens....
    "You're not doing it right. You need to caress his balls"
    Son nods enthusiastically and grins.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 huddledDuke12

It sounds like someone has a not-so "Sunny Disposition"! ;)

Anyway, I have many mates who have been abroad and have shared their experiences upon their return to The Emerald Isle at the Christmas period. While I am a bit of a home bird myself due to my sentimental nature, I can also appreciate why others do go abroad whether it be a lifestyle choice or out of necessity for their career. I love hearing about their new lives and career paths.

It just comes off as petty and resentful when people are so overwhelmed that their friends succeeded abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

It sounds like someone has a not-so "Sunny Disposition"! ;)

Anyway, I have many mates who have been abroad and have shared their experiences upon their return to The Emerald Isle at the Christmas period. While I am a bit of a home bird myself due to my sentimental nature, I can also appreciate why others do go abroad whether it be a lifestyle choice or out of necessity for their career. I love hearing about their new lives and career paths.

It just comes off as petty and resentful when people are so overwhelmed that their friends succeeded abroad.

Rapier wit my boy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

In fairness the OP did say that the guy is not really a friend but more of an acquaintance, what he saying is he thinks it’s strange that the guy (apparently) volunteered the details within 30 sec of being asked about the weather in Auckland.

We have to take OP at face value here, in that he says that’s the way it happened but he also said that it was a 20 minute conversation, 20 minutes conversation with an acquaintance is a fair old chat so I would imagine there’s a lot of details about a lot of things in there. It’s just the bit about hyper income and his role that OP wasn’t impressed by.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Your man is back from New Zealand for a while now.

He has sought to immerse himself in local life, training hurling teams, local committees etc. He has quickly developed a reputation as being utterly, utterly insufferable. My neighbour read an article about someone called 'The Pothole' because people swerved to avoid him, and he refers to your man as the pothole now.

I guess the question is a wider one than first posed, it's why he acts the way he does at all times now. It actually wasn't related to insecurity about being an emigrant at all.

• mod

@Sunny Disposition please dont bump 3 year old threads.

closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement