Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning emigrants who big themselves up in an unsuccessful bid to impress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

there is significant pressure on people who emigrate to be seen to have "made it". its a big thing in the eastern european diaspora

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

there is significant pressure on people who emigrate to be seen to have "made it". its a big thing in the eastern european diaspora

Is there though? I don’t think there is, outside of people’s own heads. Certainly never felt like I needed to be bragging when I lived abroad and came home to visit. Why would anyone feel they need to tell anyone how much money they make abroad when someone asks them about the weather in New Zealand at Xmas time?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

That's provincial Ireland to a tee as well. The first topic on everyone's lips after mass / down the pub in the new year will be that so-and-so is driving a 20-1 Volkswagen Tiguan, and Yvonne and Pádraig down the road got planning for the new extension. That's unfortunately currency in the valley of the peeping windows that is a lot of Ireland.

I couldn't give a rattlers what people think about my life abroad, but many people have plenty to say about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭NSAman

Yurt! wrote: »
    That's provincial Ireland to a tee as well. The first topic on everyone's lips after mass / down the pub in the new year will be that so-and-so is driving a 20-1 Volkswagen Tiguan, and Yvonne and Pádraig down the road got planning for the new extension. That's unfortunately currency in the valley of the peeping windows that is a lot of Ireland.

I couldn't give a rattlers what people think about my life abroad, but many people have plenty to say about it.

Funniest and most frustrating question when meeting people for the first time being home is “when are ya going back?”..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Is there though? I don’t think there is, outside of people’s own heads.
    Well obviously all of this is on people's heads! i would exposed to the EE diaspora a lot and if they are planning on moving back they have to have acquired material statements of their success

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Sure there are people that want to boast but by the other token, I'm sure there's local people that just won't countenance a friend wanting to get away from Ireland /their city/town as well and prefering it abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭chrissb8

If you think someone is arrogant for telling you how they're life has improved in relation to where they were before that is on you. That is you having masked some insecurity in your life.

Do they think they're better than you for moving? So what if they do? If that's the case then they have their own insecurities and pathetically need to have lordship over someone in order to feel good in themselves. That is just an s**t person who even if they hadn't moved would just be bitter, twisted and still feel they're better than you.

People have ambitions and dreams big or small. Whether this is going to a far-flung place in the world or merely moving to just outside your hometown it doesn't matter. People are eclectic in everything. What matters is a foundation of empathy and understanding that as long as your happy so be it.

Also getting honest answers to straight forward questions like "why did you move? and are you coming back?" that may not tie in with your notion of maybe what you think of the place you both came from is not offensive. Each person has their own individual experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I'm an emigrant who regularly returns to Ireland, and who is wildly successful in life by any metric.

There's a type of insular and deeply depressing attitude that exists in small town Ireland whereby those who are successful are viewed as somehow getting above their station. It's an attitude that exists due to jealousy and classic Irish begrudgery (which does exist). I've had various former classmates pass remarks at me over the years when I bump into them in town over the Christmas period. Mostly harmless stuff that I brush off with my legendary good humour, but also some mean-spirited and nasty stuff - saying my arrogance brings shame to my family, that I should use my money to help out my good-for-nothing brother, that I'm not missed about the place.

These are from men who work in hardware stores or drive a truck for a living. The type who are bald by 30, marry an overweight woman, and who are usually seen with a clutch of those horrifically ugly Irish children - you know the sort: buck teeth, protruding ears, freckles, pale skin. It's not my fault they didn't have the intelligence and gumption to get a 3rd level education and move abroad for a few years. Living in BallyGoBackwards is a measure of their ambition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Polar101

Living in BallyGoBackwards is a measure of their ambition.

There's nothing really wrong with that, if that is what they choose to do. It's just when they don't understand that some people may want to live somewhere else, or do something else with their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

Just sounds like a young lad talking some ****e after a few drinks. My eldest is the same and that's just the way he is, no shortage of confidence etc, and he gets the old begrugery in spades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭cantalach

Yea i'm in the US the last two years and when you do live abroad and do well it has changed me to be honest. When i go home i see the usual people still sipping pints in the local pub it makes me cringe and think that my life is so much better than theirs and how boring my life was back in Ireland. Even successful people in Ireland i look down and think why the hell would you stay in Ireland.

This post supports the theory that whenever somebody moves to the US from another developed country, it raises the average IQ in both countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Dothebartman

cantalach wrote: »
    This post supports the theory that whenever somebody moves to the US from another developed country, it raises the average IQ in both countries.

Typical Irish begrudgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

I'm an emigrant who regularly returns to Ireland, and who is wildly successful in life by any metric.

There's a type of insular and deeply depressing attitude that exists in small town Ireland whereby those who are successful are viewed as somehow getting above their station. It's an attitude that exists due to jealousy and classic Irish begrudgery (which does exist). I've had various former classmates pass remarks at me over the years when I bump into them in town over the Christmas period. Mostly harmless stuff that I brush off with my legendary good humour, but also some mean-spirited and nasty stuff - saying my arrogance brings shame to my family, that I should use my money to help out my good-for-nothing brother, that I'm not missed about the place.

These are from men who work in hardware stores or drive a truck for a living. The type who are bald by 30, marry an overweight woman, and who are usually seen with a clutch of those horrifically ugly Irish children - you know the sort: buck teeth, protruding ears, freckles, pale skin. It's not my fault they didn't have the intelligence and gumption to get a 3rd level education and move abroad for a few years. Living in BallyGoBackwards is a measure of their ambition.

The inadequacy that requires a person to belittle easy targets is quite amusing.

Like a person up to their neck in quicksand, trying to pull their feet up, I suppose. It's almost fascinatingly stupid, and it made me smile :)

cantalach wrote: »

Now now, the yankee doodles can't be dealing with such honesty!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,592 ✭✭✭✭elperello

beejee wrote: »
    The inadequacy that requires a person to belittle easy targets is quite amusing.

Like a person up to their neck in quicksand, trying to pull their feet up, I suppose. It's almost fascinatingly stupid, and it made me smile :)

On the other hand it's nice to see those night classes in creative writing bearing fruit.

Typical Irish begrudgery.

Looking at what the poster quoted above, "I even look down on successful Irish people"....

Are you for real, or have you just spent so much time around Americans, some of the dumbest people I've met on planet earth, that you can't recognise an imbecilic statement/idea whatsoever?

While there is indeed an element in Irish society of begrudgery, there is also the startling ignorance of people who live in the United States. Lie down with dogs and you get up with fleas. Funny stuff :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Of course it’s interesting to hear about people’s life abroad. But telling me he was on a hyper income within 30 seconds of me asking about the weather in Auckland is very strange behaviour.

Those who claim to have loads of money rarely do. Those who have loads of money, keep it to themselves.

Those who tell me how brilliant their job/house/wife/dog is always get a positive response from me. It's all that the poor bastards are looking for. If anything, I'm a little flattered that they are seeking approval/validation from little old me...(!)

Looking at what the poster quoted above, "I even look down on successful Irish people"....

Are you for real, or have you just spent so much time around Americans, some of the dumbest people I've met on planet earth, that you can't recognise an imbecilic statement/idea whatsoever?

While there is indeed an element in Irish society of begrudgery, there is also the startling ignorance of people who live in the United States. Lie down with dogs and you get up with fleas. Funny stuff :p

You must be pretty dumb because I'm the one that wrote that post haha

You must be pretty dumb because I'm the one that wrote that post haha

He quoted you, your post.

That part of your post, that he quoted.

That post of yours, that he quoted, that I referenced.

I can't help you any more than that, I'm afraid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Are you for real, or have you just spent so much time around Americans, some of the dumbest people I've met on planet earth

If they are they have competition... look in the mirror you ignorant shi*e. Only a jealous, spiteful fool would slag off an entire continent of people. State of you. Knew I'd have to use that here sooner or later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

KaneToad wrote: »
    Those who claim to have loads of money rarely do. Those who have loads of money, keep it to themselves.

Those who tell me how brilliant their job/house/wife/dog is always get a positive response from me. It's all that the poor bastards are looking for. If anything, I'm a little flattered that they are seeking approval/validation from little old me...(!)

But why would you boast? No one gets genuine validation for it, people almost certainly dislike you if you describe yourself as having a hyper income when you’re asked about climate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Person A: "Hi, happy Christmas, welcome back - how are you getting on in [insert adopted country]?"

Person B: "Hey, many happy returns, cheers! Yeah I love it over there, getting on great thanks - how are you keeping?"

Person A (thinking): "Uppity bastard, thinking they're too good for us, trying to show everyone they're so successful - and failing. Wait until I tell everyone..."

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Person A: "Hi, happy Christmas, welcome back - how are you getting on in [insert adopted country]?"

Person B: "Hey, many happy returns, cheers! Yeah I love it over there, getting on great thanks - how are you keeping?"

Person A (thinking): "Uppity bastard, thinking they're too good for us, trying to show everyone they're so successful - and failing. Wait until I tell everyone..."

:D:D In a nutshell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Ya I found that comment a bit ignorant too. The fact that the guy had to move because he couldnt get ahead of said people kinda undermines it, and that is before you get to the crassness of it in general.
    There are plenty of downsides to living in america too. The extortionate healthcare being an obvious one. Raising a family there is very very expensive. I have to say, I think the original poster has a bit of growing up to do.

Yea i'm in the US the last two years and when you do live abroad and do well it has changed me to be honest. When i go home i see the usual people still sipping pints in the local pub it makes me cringe and think that my life is so much better than theirs and how boring my life was back in Ireland. Even successful people in Ireland i look down and think why the hell would you stay in Ireland.

And I would look at you and say why the hell would you want to be living in the US and not in Ireland close to your family and friends. I’d vastly prefer to be sipping pints in my local every week (in fact I very much enjoy this) rather than have to be living abroad.

And I would look at you and say why the hell would you want to be living in the US and not in Ireland close to your family and friends. I’d vastly prefer to be sipping pints in my local every week (in fact I very much enjoy this) rather than have to be living abroad.

I do enjoy this, more than most infact, but its exactly what I wanted to get away from. Very little happening at home.

Nothing much happened for me in rural village life except drinking pints in the local.

I do miss it to be fair and friends and family and the craic but I couldn't hack it any longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

I'd never say anything and only mention the US if asked first and never hype myself up but it really does change you. I know it sounds like i'm a prick but its the same with a lot of people who are doing well abroad. Its a huge sense of achievement.
    That's pretty bad in the arrogance department.

I can't stand the attitude of some here who think emigrating at all is a personal affront. But yours is the other side of the same coin.

I'm staying in Ireland because I don't want to be far from family and friends. And because the pace of life is easygoing here. And there's no political instability or crazy weather. Boring, but stress doesn't interest me.

Stateofyou wrote: »
    If they are they have competition... look in the mirror you ignorant shi*e. Only a jealous, spiteful fool would slag off an entire continent of people. State of you. Knew I'd have to use that here sooner or later.

Ha!

The day I'll be "jealous" of living in that dump, surrounded by its armies of mass murdering sociopaths that can't pinpoint their own country on a map and where it costs 20 grand to get an eye exam... Yeah, that'll be the day all right :p

You got me there, state of you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭lalababa

Just take a look at the cars they arrive home at Christmas in. Only from UK of course. Landrover, beemers, mercs, you name it.
    Can't recall little Johnny made good ever turning up in a battered Vauxhall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Hey op,
    No need to make a thread about this as you just met some wa*Ker who bigged himself up.

You meet them all the time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement