Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning emigrants who big themselves up in an unsuccessful bid to impress

Options

Comments

No, anybody talking about their job at length or even a medium amount of time, no matter what the job, no matter where it is, whether high-achieving or minimum wage drudgery, is deadeningly dull.

It’s not begrudgery, it’s boredom.

Maybe the occasional person likes to talk careers at length. I don’t come across them very often though.

20 minutes, in the pub, after a year or more away. You must live fierce exciting lives with an awful lot happening to find that too tedious to be hearing about someone's life on the other side of the world, or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Lived abroad twice myself during the recession . It wasn't for me. I prefer here even if the weather is shíte and the cost of living is at an all time high and the public transport is a joke.
    I just like it here. :)
    When I meet people like the op described I already no the positives and negatives from at least 2 popular destinations for Irish immigrants
    The grass can't get any greener than it is here .that's all you need to tell these people op :)

I don't think its greener. I think its different ..i think i would like to try it someday ..for a while ...somewhere warmer!

Plus canaries have a lower tax rate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

Their heads are all swollen and innocent...

Their heads are all swollen and innocent...
    Whose?

The people who immigrate or stay?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Dothebartman

JayZeus wrote: »
    20 minutes, in the pub, after a year or more away. You must live fierce exciting lives with an awful lot happening to find that too tedious to be hearing about someone's life on the other side of the world, or whatever.

Lads who keep going on about it without been asked are absolute idiots but most people when you do come home ask how you are getting on grill you on everything, unless you give one word answers your going to sound like your bragging and then you get the people overhearing thinking your a wanker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

If the full twenty minutes is spent talking about the job, that’s pretty bad, yeah. If five minutes is spent on it however, that’s the cursory job mention out of the way, to the relief of all. Much more interesting things to be discussing - films, sport, current affairs etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Ah ... a response to Tickers.

If the full twenty minutes is spent talking about the job, that’s pretty bad, yeah. If five minutes is spent on it however, that’s the cursory job mention out of the way, to the relief of all. Much more interesting things to be discussing - films, sport, current affairs etc.

So, nothing of any substance, barring the current affairs. Which let's face it, usually involves local or national politics (irrelevant to the emigrant now), local scandals, national scandals, brexit, the border, complaining about motor tax, how the insurance is awful dear and sure how is a man supposed to buy 6 pints and pay the TV license...

Yeah, much more interesting things to be discussing alright.

So, nothing of any substance, barring the current affairs. Which let's face it, usually involves local or national politics (irrelevant to the emigrant now), local scandals, national scandals, brexit, the border, complaining about motor tax, how the insurance is awful dear and sure how is a man supposed to buy 6 pints and pay the TV license...

Yeah, much more interesting things to be discussing alright.

:D Well, I’d disagree that discussing films can’t be substantial but even if it isn’t - so? I don’t want to live in a world where it’s preferable for somebody to prattle on about their job in the pub. Luckily, I don’t live in that world. Phew.

Probably a debate on Man Utd and Liverpool for an hour or two, the housing crisis, the government every week while watching Mrs Brownes Boys in the pub.

That sounds SO interesting and zero craic.

• Advertisement

Probably a debate on Man Utd and Liverpool for an hour or two, the housing crisis, the government every week while watching Mrs Brownes Boys in the pub.

That sounds SO interesting.

No one in Ireland likes Mrs Brownes Boys NO ONE. Everyone thinks its woeful.

That sounds SO interesting and zero craic.

Sure, look, if you think discussing your job is more interesting, knock yourself out.

Sure, look, if you think discussing your job is more interesting, knock yourself out.

Its not clearly not, I hate that crap. But its the begrudgers will look down on you when grilling you for all the details when you get home. I'd rather stay silent on anything they ask about living abroad.

Its not clearly not, I hate that crap. But its the begrudgers will look down on you when grilling you for all the details when you get home. I'd rather stay silent on anything they ask about living abroad.

Well, anyone grilling you and then resenting the answers is an idiot, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

He subtly bragged about how much he was earning, how important his ‘role’ is, how well his family are doing.
    How he left the sh|thole he grew up in, and now is making mega bucks? Yup, met a few of them in Toronto.

To look down on the small success of others who had a small life in Ireland and fulfilled a small dream in leaving ... in a way is a kind of snobbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Interesting thread and one I can absolutely relate to on both sides.

I left a few years ago after building a successful business in ireland from nothing.

Not my first time to leave Ireland in my life, but this time was certainly an eye opener on my return.

I have never discussed what I do abroad with anyone. I never discuss my job and what I do business wise, for being seen as a bragger.

My immediate family know (even my mother doesn’t understand how I make a living).

While in the pub with some “friends” one night just discussing local things and what had happened in the area, I was asked what I did for a living... I replied just a normal job.

Obviously, someone had googled me and found out what my job title was.

Leaving I went to the loo. Unbeknown to two of the “friends” they came in and started talking about what a “bragger” I was ... despite having said nothing ... that this lad thinks he is a “big deal” now. “If he is so successful why doesn’t he employ his family in his businesses?”

As I said I have never discussed what I do, I never brag about anything. I earn a living and try to be the best I can to all. So this was not about me, it was about these “friends”, pure begrudgery and seeing a job title and making assumptions.

Needless to say.. I now DO employ family members in Ireland (at the time I was building a business(es)) and those who talked are no longer part of the circle.

Oh the look on their faces after I left the loo having heard it all was priceless..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

touts wrote: »
    Every Christmas there are an awful lot of UK reg Jags and Land Rovers and Porches driving around the Irish countryside. Funny thing is most of them will be back with the rental companies by the 2nd January. It's all a facade. Life's a struggle for everyone no matter if you love in Longford or London. But because Mrs Murphy's little bollox, who works for a city bank don't you know (but who actually served you at a desk in Middlesex back in June) came home with a rented Porsche last year you have to turn up in a Jag this year to let mammy save face.
    Think this went away in the 90's. Since flights got cheap and regular not many drive home at all.

Don't let that stop you using it as a stick to beat all emigrants with though.

I'll try to remember to not talk about one third of my life when I meet old friends.

"How's the last ten years been?"
    "Fine."
    "How's life over there?"
    "You know yourself."
    "How's the family?"
    "Grand."

You weren't talking to a friend, OP. You were talking to someone you don't like anymore.

What personal aspects of life are you happy to talk about?

• Advertisement

NSAman wrote: »
    Interesting thread and one I can absolutely relate to on both sides.

I left a few years ago after building a successful business in ireland from nothing.

Not my first time to leave Ireland in my life, but this time was certainly an eye opener on my return.

I have never discussed what I do abroad with anyone. I never discuss my job and what I do business wise, for being seen as a bragger.

My immediate family know (even my mother doesn’t understand how I make a living).

While in the pub with some “friends” one night just discussing local things and what had happened in the area, I was asked what I did for a living... I replied just a normal job.

Obviously, someone had googled me and found out what my job title was.

Leaving I went to the loo. Unbeknown to two of the “friends” they came in and started talking about what a “bragger” I was ... despite having said nothing ... that this lad thinks he is a “big deal” now. “If he is so successful why doesn’t he employ his family in his businesses?”

As I said I have never discussed what I do, I never brag about anything. I earn a living and try to be the best I can to all. So this was not about me, it was about these “friends”, pure begrudgery and seeing a job title and making assumptions.

Needless to say.. I now DO employ family members in Ireland (at the time I was building a business(es)) and those who talked are no longer part of the circle.

Oh the look on their faces after I left the loo having heard it all was priceless..;)

Oh Lord, Begrudges do Begrudge.

I remember when I was in Ireland working and got a car on PCP the first thing everyone asked was it on PCP or new, how much am I paying back a week. I just didn't answer them.

The following week in the pub i was pretty hammered and a group of eight or nine started asking me what's your job title, what do you do in work, how much was the car, did you buy it outright etc. I just left.

Is this thread in which i am a pink donkey i forget!??

Is this thread in which i am a pink donkey i forget!??

No I think this is the one with the Blue Donkey. :(:(

No I think this is the one with the Blue Donkey. :(:(
    So long as i am lil miss donkey all is ok!

one-of-the-many-blue.jpg

I am gonna move to the canaries during winter and back to ireland in the summer i will teach yoga or something. #Dreamlife
    Best of luck. I spent a few years in Tenerife. Beautiful place, but you won't make the money to stay there teaching yoga..

If you can keep an Irish wage and live in the canaries there are few better places to live imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I can understand the OP, this cuts the other way as well though. I work 'out foreign' at the moment and often when you come home local barfly down the pub invariably gets a stick up their a*s about your life abroad when they're the person that brought it up. It's like you're upsetting the social hierarchy which is stable the other 11 months of the year and where the 4x4 bought on PCP finance is all the social capital they need.

I honestly try to direct conversation away from my career and where I live.

Best of luck. I spent a few years in Tenerife. Beautiful place, but you won't make the money to stay there teaching yoga..

If you can keep an Irish wage and live in the canaries there are few better places to live imo.
    Ill have to think of something else then :)

What personal aspects of life are you happy to talk about?

Lots of things. Can you not envisage people talking about personal things if it doesn’t involve rabbiting on about their job? People rarely discuss their jobs much in social settings in my experience and talk about other personal things all the time. Social gatherings are downtime from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I think it could be that they lost what they have in common with you and the area they are from, and the only way they are able to contribute is by speaking of their life elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Ill have to think of something else then :)
    Caribbean! Way more money to be made and a similar or better quality of life!

Sorry if this is seen as boasting by the OP. Let it be known I don't currently live in the Caribbean.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement