Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning emigrants who big themselves up in an unsuccessful bid to impress

Options

Comments

How is that? I won't be coming back to Ireland to retire?

Like I said living abroad does something to you, i don't see myself as snobby and never say anything but it's in my head.

Ah, you were only hypothesizing.

The answer is as young as 50 if you have left that employment. I don't think anybody replied to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Yea i'm in the US the last two years and when you do live abroad and do well it has changed me to be honest. When i go home i see the usual people still sipping pints in the local pub it makes me cringe and think that my life is so much better than theirs and how boring my life was back in Ireland. Even successful people in Ireland i look down and think why the hell would you stay in Ireland.

I'd never say anything and only mention the US if asked first and never hype myself up but it really does change you. I know it sounds like i'm a prick but its the same with a lot of people who are doing well abroad. Its a huge sense of achievement.

The Beer obviously got the better of the lad in OP's opening post I'd imagine.

You don't sound like a prick. Just someone who is no longer on the same page as the rest of us. That's cool.

Its like you find you no longer have thing in common with people who live abroad.

Or i do anyway. I haven't lived abroad. And any of my old friends who have i kind of feel we just can't relate to each other any more.

Its not to criticize either them or me.

I always pity the people back around the area for Christmas as it’s only for a week or two and then they have to go back out abroad. I absolutely hate even the thought of living abroad.

Luckily I have little interaction as all but one of my friends are living in Ireland and most are living locally so I don’t have to listen to people talking crap about how great it is somewhere I’d hate to be living.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Dothebartman

Ah, you were only hypothesizing.

The answer is as young as 50 if you have left that employment. I don't think anybody replied to you.

I'm deeply confused, you on about the pension thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

greencap wrote: »
    Any prick can go live abroad these days. Travel is no longer exotic in the 80s sense.

Living somewhere else is not an achievement.
    If anything living in the Irish housing market is.

Anyone can move away but making it a success is a different story. Still requires a lot of hard work.

• Advertisement

I'm deeply confused, you on about the pension thread?

If you live in the US tho...why do you find yourself coming back to boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Hope this thread doesn’t come off like I dislike most people who emigrate and come back.
    It’s really just ones who do a lot of boasting in a short space of time in an effort to impress.

I suppose what’s really interesting is why such a person would want to impress someone they mightn’t see again for a year or two.

greencap wrote: »
    Any prick can go live abroad these days. Travel is no longer exotic in the 80s sense.

Living somewhere else is not an achievement.
    If anything living in the Irish housing market is.

It takes balls, sacrifice and hard work, if money is great why doesn't everyone do it?

If you live in the US tho...why do you find yourself coming back to boards?

Because i needed help with a few things, which i'm thankful for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Hoboo

.......I know it sounds like i'm a prick.......

Correct. And zero craic.

• Advertisement

It takes balls, sacrifice and hard work, if money is great why doesn't everyone do it?

Eh, the thought of living in America would hold very little appeal. Now, granted, America is a large place what being a continent. But, I still can't think of a place where I'd like to spend years, never mind decades.

Grand for a holiday, but live there, fuk no. If you like tables, here's something to ponder.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Development_Index

Because i needed help with a few things, which i'm thankful for.
    hope you get it:)

I would love to live abroad in winter. But in Ireland during the summer. I love Ireland in the summer.

I always pity the people back around the area for Christmas as it’s only for a week or two and then they have to go back out abroad. I absolutely hate even the thought of living abroad.

Luckily I have little interaction as all but one of my friends are living in Ireland and most are living locally so I don’t have to listen to people talking crap about how great it is somewhere I’d hate to be living.

Everyone's to make their own decisions and go their own way in life. I think it's a bit foolish to think that someone going in a different direction to the one you'd choose for yourself is someone to be pitied in any sense.

If someone's life takes them abroad and they return to visit family and reconnect with the place they came from, you'd think people would see that as a good thing, in every sense. A testament to how important in some sense the small place they came from is to them, deep down. Especially if their life is truly better where they live now than it was when they were in the place you've decided will be your home, and they've decided won't be theirs any more, it really shouldn't bother anyone.

It's an odd way of thinking but I don't think someone can in any way understand the perspective of an emigrant unless they've been one themselves at some stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Live in a small town. Met a young man last night home from abroad for Christmas who had a conversation with myself and another guy for about 20 minutes. He subtly bragged about how much he was earning, how important his ‘role’ is, how well his family are doing.

At the end of the conversation I was feeling sympathetic to him more than anything. For some reason having made the decision to go away and build a life elsewhere he still needs the validation of the opinion of the community he comes from.

Would many of our emigrants on here understand this? Most people would dismiss the guy as a dckhead, but I think it’s more complex. Genuinely interested in why people feel like this.

Well, it’s only natural for people to talk about what they are up to currently. That’s not really bragging.

However, talking about your job outside of a few cursory sentences is so goddamn dull. I hope he didn’t talk about that too much.

Hoboo wrote: »
    Correct. And zero craic.

I honestly don't mean to be but something does happen you when you live abroad. I'd never bring up living abroad to anyone unless they asked and try to keep it subtle as possible if they did.

And absolute craic excuse yourself haha.

I am gonna move to the canaries during winter and back to ireland in the summer i will teach yoga or something. #Dreamlife

I honestly don't mean to be but something does happen you when you live abroad.
    And absolute craic excuse yourself haha.

What happens?

What happens?

I don't follow?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

JayZeus wrote: »
    Everyone's to make their own decisions and go their own way in life. I think it's a bit foolish to think that someone going in a different direction to the one you'd choose for yourself is someone to be pitied in any sense.

If someone's life takes them abroad and they return to visit family and reconnect with the place they came from, you'd think people would see that as a good thing, in every sense. A testament to how important in some sense the small place they came from is to them, deep down. Especially if their life is truly better where they live now than it was when they were in the place you've decided will be your home, and they've decided won't be theirs any more.

It's an odd way of thinking but I don't think someone can in any way understand the perspective of an emigrant unless they've been one themselves at some stage.

Have been an emigrant. Had some business success in those days too. But there is no way I would try and fit as many boasts as possible into any conversation! Being an emigrant doesn’t excuse it, but I’d like to understand why someone might do it.

• Advertisement

What happens?
    I don't follow?

You lose the ability to understand your mother tongue :p

You lose the ability to understand your mother tongue :p

Must be getting that American accent. :pac:

Well, it’s only natural for people to talk about what they are up to currently. That’s not really bragging.

However, talking about your job outside of a few cursory sentences is so goddamn dull. I hope he didn’t talk about that too much.

Talking about the job, the better pay and the wider opportunities he's enjoying is probably exactly the kind of thing that would get somebody's back up. In particular if it was someone who'd never have taken any steps to expand their own horizons, beyond an occasional holiday abroad or whatever. I think there's an awful lot of oul' thicks who feel they're losing something in some way, without realising they could have done the same if they wanted to and would have taken the steps the emigrant took to find a 'better' life for themselves, away from the boredom/isolation/tedious life they'd otherwise have led.

Some fellas just hate the idea that someone else is looking down on them, when the 'emigrant' is really only looking forwards in their own life and enthusiastic about everything that's possible in the place far away from where the conversation occurs.

It's begrudgery. They just don't realise it.

Have been an emigrant. Had some business success in those days too. But there is no way I would try and fit as many boasts as possible into any conversation! Being an emigrant doesn’t excuse it, but I’d like to understand why someone might do it.

What did he say? He's paid really well, does something he thinks is important and where he's valued, has a nice home and gets to travel? Could that be true?

Well then what's the harm of saying it then? What difference should it make at all if a man much younger than you feels like he's making his way in the world and doing well for himself?

There's really only one explanation for it in my mind.

What did he say? He's paid really well, does something he thinks is important and where he's valued, has a nice home and gets to travel? Could that be true?

Well then what's the harm of saying it then? What difference should it make at all if a man much younger than you feels like he's making his way in the world and doing well for himself?

There's really only one explanation for it in my mind.

Hit the nail on the head, People are hardly going to say I hate it, hate travelling, hate the lifestyle, hate the money, I want to come home etc.

I don't follow?

You said something happens to your mind or yourself when you live abroad?

What happens? Describe it?

I had always thought of it as ......adapting to a new way of life and thus becoming a different person in your new environment and detaching from the old influence the old environment had on you and your old identity. Without the influence of family friends etc ..some people become ..new. Some don't.

That's if people are influenced by environment.

What happens to your mind when you live abroad from YOUR experience?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Talking about the job, the better pay and the wider opportunities he's enjoying is probably exactly the kind of thing that would get somebody's back up. In particular if it was someone who'd never have taken any steps to expand their own horizons, beyond an occasional holiday abroad or whatever. I think there's an awful lot of oul' thicks who feel they're losing something in some way, without realising they could have done the same if they wanted to and would have taken the steps the emigrant took to find a 'better' life for themselves, away from the boredom/isolation/tedious life they'd otherwise have led.

Some fellas just hate the idea that someone else is looking down on them, when the 'emigrant' is really only looking forwards in their own life and enthusiastic about everything that's possible in the place far away from where the conversation occurs.

It's begrudgery. They just don't realise it.

No, anybody talking about their job at length or even a medium amount of time, no matter what the job, no matter where it is, whether high-achieving or minimum wage drudgery, is deadeningly dull.

It’s not begrudgery, it’s boredom.

Maybe the occasional person likes to talk careers at length. I don’t come across them very often though.

You said something happens to your mind or yourself when you live abroad?

What happens? Describe it?

Basically with the travelling, the money you just think to yourself you've made it!

Hit the nail on the head, People are hardly going to say I hate it, hate travelling, hate the lifestyle, hate the money, I want to come home etc.

Ah sure, that's exactly what people want to hear. They want to be reassured that their decision to stay or to return long ago was the right one, that they're not missing out on anything and that they're clever.

They want to be able to say 'Ach, sure wasn't I talking to him in the pub on Stephens day and sure isn't he fierce lonely. Well now, he'll have to sort himself out and eat some humble pie when he comes back with his tail between his legs'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Lived abroad twice myself during the recession . It wasn't for me. I prefer here even if the weather is shíte and the cost of living is at an all time high and the public transport is a joke.
    I just like it here. :)
    When I meet people like the op described I already no the positives and negatives from at least 2 popular destinations for Irish immigrants
    The grass can't get any greener than it is here .that's all you need to tell these people op :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement