Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning emigrants who big themselves up in an unsuccessful bid to impress

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭SantaCruz

Yea i'm in the US the last two years and when you do live abroad and do well it has changed me to be honest. When i go home i see the usual people still sipping pints in the local pub it makes me cringe and think that my life is so much better than theirs and how boring my life was back in Ireland. Even successful people in Ireland i look down and think why the hell would you stay in Ireland.
    And yet you are posting on an Irish website for a presumably Irish audience of people you don't respect.

Odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Yea i'm in the US the last two years and when you do live abroad and do well it has changed me to be honest. When i go home i see the usual people still sipping pints in the local pub it makes me cringe and think that my life is so much better than theirs and how boring my life was back in Ireland. Even successful people in Ireland i look down and think why the hell would you stay in Ireland.

:pac:

Just home after 8 years in the US. I did well for myself over there and am now doing well for myself over here. Never felt that people here were below me. Seems odd to. If you don't see all the aspects of life in Ireland that are far superior to life in the US, I'd say you are either codding yourself or care only about wealth and convenience, not quality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

beejee wrote: »
    Ha!

The day I'll be "jealous" of living in that dump, surrounded by its armies of mass murdering sociopaths that can't pinpoint their own country on a map and where it costs 20 grand to get an eye exam... Yeah, that'll be the day all right :p

You got me there, state of you

You don't know sh*t and it's obvious you've never been or have any experience of the place. Lived, studied and worked there for years and still consult there. I'm fortunate to say I have many wonderful friends there. Some of the most beautiful and enjoyable places to enjoy an outdoor lifestyle. Cultured cities full of learning opportunities and interesting things to do. Frequent protests from hundreds or thousands of passionate and informed people that I sometimes joined in support. My local library here is a box size room out the side of a 200 year old building - amazing. Doesn't even compare to any and every library I've seen there. They're not surrounded by armies of anything, it cost me $60 for an eye exam, and anyone there I know is well educated, kind, and a top class person. No one I met there, ever slagged off people from another country as a rule as that would be considered rude and extremely bad form. They're actually a very diverse and accepting people from my experience. Maybe you need to keep better company. That comment of yours only exposed your ignorance. Try actually getting out of your insular little thought bubble and put down the Daily Sun for your source of information. No country is perfect including the US, and certainly neither is this one. I wouldn't have to point that out to anyone who was a decent sort. F*ecking sick of the put downs of others here which I've found more common in this country than anywhere else.

SantaCruz wrote: »
    And yet you are posting on an Irish website for a presumably Irish audience of people you don't respect.

Odd.

While I don't agree with some things that were said, that poster is Irish and anyone no matter where they live who has an association with Ireland I can understand having an interest in reading or posting here. Not odd at all. And from what I see here on these forums every single time I login is Irish people not respecting each other or anyone else for that matter, so what's your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Stateofyou wrote: »
    You don't know sh*t and it's obvious you've never been or have any experience of the place. Lived, studied and worked there for years and still consult there. I'm fortunate to say I have many wonderful friends there. Some of the most beautiful and enjoyable places to enjoy an outdoor lifestyle. Cultured cities full of learning opportunities and interesting things to do. Frequent protests from hundreds or thousands of passionate and informed people that I sometimes joined in support. My local library here is a box size room out the side of a 200 year old building - amazing. Doesn't even compare to any and every library I've seen there. They're not surrounded by armies of anything, it cost me $60 for an eye exam, and anyone there I know is well educated, kind, and a top class person. No one I met there, ever slagged off people from another country as a rule as that would be considered rude and extremely bad form. They're actually a very diverse and accepting people from my experience. Maybe you need to keep better company. That comment of yours only exposed your ignorance. Try actually getting out of your insular little thought bubble and put down the Daily Sun for your source of information. No country is perfect including the US, and certainly neither is this one. I wouldn't have to point that out to anyone who was a decent sort. F*ecking sick of the put downs of others here which I've found more common in this country than anywhere else.

No country is perfect, sure but no other developed nation has such extreme problems as the United States.

While your man may need to keep better company, if you don't see some truth to what he said, you probably need to look beyond your own circle over there.

• Advertisement

Wompa1 wrote: »
    No country is perfect, sure but no other developed nation has such extreme problems as the United States.

While your man may need to keep better company, if you don't see some truth to what he said, you probably need to look beyond your own circle over there.

I already said the US isn't perfect, and part of my work involves the injustice around that. I'm well aware and operating beyond my circle there. I'm completely informed of what most of the issues are. No other developed nation has such extreme problems? :D
    What the place isn't though is the description he used "dump, surrounded by its armies of mass murdering sociopaths that can't pinpoint their own country on a map and where it costs 20 grand to get an eye exam" There is NO truth to any of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

I already said the US isn't perfect, and part of my work involves the injustice around that. I'm well aware and operating beyond my circle there. I'm completely informed of what most of the issues are. No other developed nation has such extreme problems? :D
    What the place isn't though is the description he used "dump, surrounded by its armies of mass murdering sociopaths that can't pinpoint their own country on a map and where it costs 20 grand to get an eye exam" There is NO truth to any of that.

Actually there is a grain of truth in what he said. Most cannot pinpoint anything on a map. They sure as hell have no idea where Ireland is located (for the most part). Living in the States has made me realise how uneducated the vast majority of Americans are. Of course, you have the educated and cultured living in cities, those that are educated do very nicely in life there. Those that are uneducated are kept that way, the dumbing down of the populace is very evident.

As you said though, America is a diverse and huge place.

No place is perfect and no country is paradise.

Ireland has it’s own very real issues, many of those criticising Irish people living abroad are generalising also. What I do find interesting is that Trump has given most people in Ireland something to criticise, giving the government in Ireland a free hand instead of being under scrutiny.

ANYHOO.. back to normal programming...;)

NSAman wrote: »
    Actually there is a grain of truth in what he said. Most cannot pinpoint anything on a map. They sure as hell have no idea where Ireland is located (for the most part). Living in the States has made me realise how uneducated the vast majority of Americans are. Of course, you have the educated and cultured living in cities, those that are educated do very nicely in life there. Those that are uneducated are kept that way, the dumbing down of the populace is very evident.

As you said though, America is a diverse and huge place.

No place is perfect and no country is paradise.

Ireland has it’s own very real issues, many of those criticising Irish people living abroad are generalising also. What I do find interesting is that Trump has given most people in Ireland something to criticise, giving the government in Ireland a free hand instead of being under scrutiny.

ANYHOO.. back to normal programming...;)

"MOST cannot pinpoint anything on a map.." FALSE. You and I all saw those idiotic and viral posts on social media that found some really undereducated people who weren't great at geography and now you think that characterizes and entire nation. It just isn't true.

I was actually pleasantly surprised to find that most people I met know quite a bit about Ireland, have been there themselves, or know someone who just went and talked about their travels. False again.

Living in the states made me realize just how educated and advanced their education system actually is. Obviously there's a range of outcomes and funding in those systems, just like here.

Yeah agreed America is huge and diverse and there's just absolutely no way to characterize or label an entire country of people in any one manner-that's really my point.

Trump (who lost the popular vote thanks to the electoral college fiasco) is a very easy target but not to everyone. Just have a read through the Independent, Times, Guardian, other Irish forums and you will see plenty who think he's the greatest gift. Read myself here on boards the other day someone who was praising him over our Toiseach and saying at least Trump gets things done. Our own government seems to be fairly scrutinized in fairness, but people will still vote a certain way if at all, and for a very small country, we can't seem to fix the big, important issues. But yeah, back to the regular programming... ha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

lalababa wrote: »
    Just take a look at the cars they arrive home at Christmas in. Only from UK of course. Landrover, beemers, mercs, you name it.
    Can't recall little Johnny made good ever turning up in a battered Vauxhall.
    Rentals?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

I've lived in the United States, and many different parts of it too. I have a broad experience of the people over there from all walks of life. The only other region of the world that gives it a run for its money in the ignorance championship is eastern Africa, but at least that area has the genuine excuse of poor education.

The gems I've heard over the years from Americans are incalculable.

From a university educated American, (living in another country, no less!) "Americans don't have accents!". It's that regular occurrence that persistently has you scratch your head in wonder.

So no, I'll still treat Americans as slow, for the simple reason that they keep presenting themselves as slow. It is also factually the most violent country outside war zones, their social protection system is pathetic, their medical system is disgraceful, the place is brimming over with racial hatred and so on and so forth.

Or perhaps you think all these elements, and a lot more besides, exist in isolation from one another?

Whatever that country had going for itself is long past, and it's trundling along on an ethereal nostalgia of being "great" ever since

You have your experience and I have mine. And then there are the facts and statistics on top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭lalababa

Yeah, rentals with UK reg.s ! Ha ha

Just to mention one thing, Mr Awareness,...

Gun violence. Every country has that same scale of problem, of course.

And you obviously know sweet fa about the health system there. While 20k for an eye exam was hyperbole, it is still outrageously unjust. And seeing as you have your finger on the pulse, you may have heard of the 28k throat swab scam in new york recently. That little story explains so much in itself.

I've lived in the United States, and many different parts of it too. I have a broad experience of the people over there from all walks of life. The only other region of the world that gives it a run for its money in the ignorance championship is eastern Africa, but at least that area has the genuine excuse of poor education.

The gems I've heard over the years from Americans are incalculable.

From a university educated American, (living in another country, no less!) "Americans don't have accents!". It's that regular occurrence that persistently has you scratch your head in wonder.

So no, I'll still treat Americans as slow, for the simple reason that they keep presenting themselves as slow. It is also factually the most violent country outside war zones, their social protection system is pathetic, their medical system is disgraceful, the place is brimming over with racial hatred and so on and so forth.

Or perhaps you think all these elements, and a lot more besides, exist in isolation from one another?

Whatever that country had going for itself is long past, and it's trundling along on an ethereal nostalgia of being "great" ever since

You have your experience and I have mine. And then there are the facts and statistics on top.

If you've lived in different parts of the US, then now I know you're deliberately being obtuse to the broad experience of the people you've undoubtedly had. You're just choosing to look down and mischaracterize and entire country of people in a sad attempt to make yourself feel bigger. Your insecurity couldn't be any more palpable.

And I could give a million examples of boneheaded, thick comments made from Irish people, that's not a point and I would certainly never treat an entire country of people as one way because of it. I have friends on social media from every walk of life, but it's consistently the Irish friends that post with horrible grammar and spelling, and inflammatory memes which put others down. At the same time, I have some of the loveliest friends in the world who are Irish and do not post or write in the manner I described. I simply don't let my biases control my thinking and then treat people badly because of them. You should try it sometime.

All the negative things you described there are elements yes, but they also exist all over the world and including here in Ireland too. Again, you're only choosing to focus on the worst of that society and elevating it to the point of catastrophic thinking just so you can try to feel superior. Pathetic really.

Just to mention one thing, Mr Awareness,...

Gun violence. Every country has that same scale of problem, of course.

And you obviously know sweet fa about the health system there. While 20k for an eye exam was hyperbole, it is still outrageously unjust. And seeing as you have your finger on the pulse, you may have heard of the 28k throat swab scam in new york recently. That little story explains so much in itself.

Having been personally insured by various insurance companies in the US I know quite a bit. For someone who claims to have lived there it's obvious you're the one who knows sweet FA. It's outrageously unjust what goes on here too. Just head over to the insurance thread on this site. I just saw a FB post from an Irish family crowdfunding for funds to cover health costs here. We can all pull out anecdotes that get coverage on the news because they're so shocking but that doesn't mean it's conclusive of the real situation. I have gotten two throat swabs in the states and one of my children once too; child was no additional cost and mine were 20 dollar copays. GTFOH.

If you've lived in different parts of the US, then now I know you're deliberately being obtuse to the broad experience of the people you've undoubtedly had. You're just choosing to look down and mischaracterize and entire country of people in a sad attempt to make yourself feel bigger. Your insecurity couldn't be any more palpable.

And I could give a million examples of boneheaded, thick comments made from Irish people, that's not a point and I would certainly never treat an entire country of people as one way because of it. I have friends on social media from every walk of life, but it's consistently the Irish friends that post with horrible grammar and spelling, and inflammatory memes which put others down. At the same time, I have some of the loveliest friends in the world who are Irish and do not post or write in the manner I described. I simply don't let my biases control my thinking and then treat people badly because of them. You should try it sometime.

All the negative things you described there are elements yes, but they also exist all over the world and including here in Ireland too. Again, you're only choosing to focus on the worst of that society and elevating it to the point of catastrophic thinking just so you can try to feel superior. Pathetic really.

"insecurity" :p

If I trod on an insect, it doesn't impart any kind feeling. If I criticise a place and people that I know very well, it equally doesn't impart any emotion.

Gravity exists, it has no bearing on my sense of self. Stating that on the whole Americans, relative to many of the other parts of the world I've lived in, are up there at the top in terms of ignorance ALSO has no bearing on myself. It's factual experience to me, nothing more.

Yes, there are knuckle heads and imbeciles everywhere, I've heard many stupid things all over. But I've still experienced MORE of it in America than elsewhere. Relativity: do you understand?

And you lauding their education system as something special, that's something all right :p

Anyway, your uniquely lovely experience of the United States is noted. Congratulations.

"insecurity" :p

If I trod on an insect, it doesn't impart any kind feeling. If I criticise a place and people that I know very well, it equally doesn't impart any emotion.

Gravity exists, it has no bearing on my sense of self. Stating that on the whole Americans, relative to many of the other parts of the world I've lived in, are up there at the top in terms of ignorance ALSO has no bearing on myself. It's factual experience to me, nothing more.

Yes, there are knuckle heads and imbeciles everywhere, I've heard many stupid things all over. But I've still experienced MORE of it in America than elsewhere. Relativity: do you understand?

And you lauding their education system as something special, that's something all right :p

Anyway, your uniquely lovely experience of the United States is noted. Congratulations.

You're full of it and talking nonsense now. There is nothing factual or inherently just or right about saying that because you encountered some thick comments from a few (and nothing else, yeah right) that you're going to continue to treat a whole culture of people in a condescending manner. My child was IN their education system, I was in it, and many of my friends, and ALL of my American friends so yeah I know something about it. I also am aware of underfunded schools that exist, schools with low attendance and test scores, etc due to societal, familial and funding factors. Your uniquely, entirely all bad (cough, yeah right you've lived there) is equally noted down as someone desperately trying to feel superior due to their own inferiority complex. Well done!

You're full of it and talking nonsense now. There is nothing factual or inherently just or right about saying that because you encountered some thick comments from a few (and nothing else, yeah right) that you're going to continue to treat a whole culture of people in a condescending manner. My child was IN their education system, I was in it, and many of my friends, and ALL of my American friends so yeah I know something about it. I also am aware of underfunded schools that exist, schools with low attendance and test scores, etc due to societal, familial and funding factors. Your uniquely, entirely all bad (cough, yeah right you've lived there) is equally noted down as someone desperately trying to feel superior due to their own inferiority complex. Well done!

Have you noticed, as an admitted product of American "education", that you persistently keep trying to put me down personally, persistently hardwave the gigantic problems over there, and persistently attempt to put me in the "superior" category, persistently attempt to portray me as a liar?

Have you noticed that? Or perhaps ignorance goes hand in hand with americanisation. Full circle, is what that's called :p

Be careful with your children when going to mass or a cinema or taking a walk, now, just in case you all get gunned down for no reason. But sure, isn't it the same everywhere!

Lovely place, lovely people. And whats best? That it can infect people by simple proximity, powerful stuff.

Having been personally insured by various insurance companies in the US I know quite a bit. For someone who claims to have lived there it's obvious you're the one who knows sweet FA. It's outrageously unjust what goes on here too. Just head over to the insurance thread on this site. I just saw a FB post from an Irish family crowdfunding for funds to cover health costs here. We can all pull out anecdotes that get coverage on the news because they're so shocking but that doesn't mean it's conclusive of the real situation. I have gotten two throat swabs in the states and one of my children once too; child was no additional cost and mine were 20 dollar copays. GTFOH.

Having lived and worked there for a long time and still living there, Americans are on the whole not the most educated people in a worldly sense. The average american is not well travelled, has very little education (thanks to the extortionate fees and low level college expectations.. and before you berate me about Harvard Yale etc...those are attended by the elite). America is a great country for those who have brains and smarts and can work hard, it has upward mobility like no other nation on earth and the “oulde boyhs network” is small. Yet, you cannot seriously say, the average american is educated.

Yes Ireland has it’s fair share of uneducated, as does every country, but the sheer size of the issue in the States dwarfs that of most other countries.

One thing I do agree with you on, is the safety aspect. (Depending on where you live obviously) I do not lock my doors, there is zero crime where I live (much like Ireland in the 1960’s/70’s in rural Ireland).

I have no loathing of Americans, I have no loathing of Irish people or anyone for that matter, I have travelled and continue to travel all over the world. I have lived in various countries...from Asia to Africa and Europe.

As I said before, no country in the world is paradise, everywhere has problems.

Have you noticed, as an admitted product of American "education", that you persistently keep trying to put me down personally, persistently hardwave the gigantic problems over there, and persistently attempt to put me in the "superior" category, persistently attempt to portray me as a liar?

Have you noticed that? Or perhaps ignorance goes hand in hand with americanisation. Full circle, is what that's called :p

Be careful with your children when going to mass or a cinema or taking a walk, now, just in case you all get gunned down for no reason. But sure, isn't it the same everywhere!

Lovely place, lovely people. And whats best? That it can infect people by simple proximity, powerful stuff.

You put yourself down and show yourself up by saying you will treat ALL people in a less than manner because of your personal biases-have you noticed that? Only ignorance showing here is yours, and blatant prejudice. You can’t deny your own words there.

I’m not a “product” of their school system but I have attended further education.
    Don’t go to mass, no worries there and doubtful any of us are getting gunned down anywhere down the town. Wtf are you on about.

There is no chance you lived there because if you had you would appreciate the wonderful friends and acquaintances you made. Or perhaps you made none with that huge superiority chip on your shoulder. A waste at least to have (claimed) to lived somewhere but you know nothing about how the health care system works or seem to know of anyone who gave any good impression or integrated at any meaningful level, sharing lives with regular people. Yet Irish people are the first to talk sh*te about immigrants who allegedly won’t integrate.

Having lived and worked there for a long time and still living there, Americans are on the whole not the most educated people in a worldly sense. The average american is not well travelled, has very little education (thanks to the extortionate fees and low level college expectations.. and before you berate me about Harvard Yale etc...those are attended by the elite). America is a great country for those who have brains and smarts and can work hard, it has upward mobility like no other nation on earth and the “oulde boyhs network” is small. Yet, you cannot seriously say, the average american is educated.

Yes Ireland has it’s fair share of uneducated, as does every country, but the sheer size of the issue in the States dwarfs that of most other countries.

One thing I do agree with you on, is the safety aspect. (Depending on where you live obviously) I do not lock my doors, there is zero crime where I live (much like Ireland in the 1960’s/70’s in rural Ireland).

I have no loathing of Americans, I have no loathing of Irish people or anyone for that matter, I have travelled and continue to travel all over the world. I have lived in various countries...from Asia to Africa and Europe.

As I said before, no country in the world is paradise, everywhere has problems.

What do you base your worldly experience on? How many other cultures have you lived in to even be able to claim that it’s Americans who are less travelled and educated? The level of the problem of 3rd level debt in that country would suggest otherwise.

And how amazing is our own school system? Underfunded, poor to no facilities, issues with getting proper staffing, too large class sizes, most of us learning Irish as compulsory yet leaving school without the ability to speak our own language beyond the cupla focal.

• Advertisement

What do you base your worldly experience on? How many other cultures have you lived in to even be able to claim that it’s Americans who are less travelled and educated? The level of the problem of 3rd level debt in that country would suggest otherwise.

And how amazing is our own school system? Underfunded, poor to no facilities, issues with getting proper staffing, too large class sizes, most of us learning Irish as compulsory yet leaving school without the ability to speak our own language beyond the cupla focal.

Err.. Living in different countries for years would be good worldly experience, while immersing myself in the culture of each country ...5 different countries and 4 continents, as for working in/with other cultures and visiting countries, there are only a handful that I have not worked with/been to.

It seems to me that you cannot take criticism of the States at all... that sums up my experience with many Americans.

I can criticise Ireland and luckily the education that I received here was fantastic. I had great primary teachers who gave me a thirst for knowledge. Secondary school less so, but a handful of teachers made up for that. Third level in Ireland was OK (better than now IMHO) but I also made the most of opportunities in Europe and the US for education. So I think I have a little experience of cultures and education standards.

Ireland has many issues and I express those concerns when needed, much to the disgust of many on this site also.

You put yourself down and show yourself up by saying you will treat ALL people in a less than manner because of your personal biases-have you noticed that? Only ignorance showing here is yours, and blatant prejudice. You can’t deny your own words there.

I’m not a “product” of their school system but I have attended further education.
    Don’t go to mass, no worries there and doubtful any of us are getting gunned down anywhere down the town. Wtf are you on about.

There is no chance you lived there because if you had you would appreciate the wonderful friends and acquaintances you made. Or perhaps you made none with that huge superiority chip on your shoulder. A waste at least to have (claimed) to lived somewhere but you know nothing about how the health care system works or seem to know of anyone who gave any good impression or integrated at any meaningful level, sharing lives with regular people. Yet Irish people are the first to talk sh*te about immigrants who allegedly won’t integrate.

There you go with that disbelief again. Just imagine (try real hard), that I actually DID live there for years. Now, if you've managed that feat, just imagine how ridiculous you are to me.

Imagine me believing you are not a human being, how critically thick would you believe me to be?

Funny stuff, man. And now I know "nothing" of their backwards arse health system either, apparently. But of course, you have dreamt up that irrefutable fact based on all the information you have :p

Yes, I have met and know decent Americans. But exceptions do not make rules.

You alluded to helping some kind of injustices in the United States, well, God speed to the ones relying on your faculties, such as they are.

"mass shootings in the United States?! What do you mean!? ". Man, just go away and wallow amongst your equals.

Err.. Living in different countries for years would be good worldly experience, while immersing myself in the culture of each country ...5 different countries and 4 continents, as for working in/with other cultures and visiting countries, there are only a handful that I have not worked with/been to.

It seems to me that you cannot take criticism of the States at all... that sums up my experience with many Americans.

I can criticise Ireland and luckily the education that I received here was fantastic. I had great primary teachers who gave me a thirst for knowledge. Secondary school less so, but a handful of teachers made up for that. Third level in Ireland was OK (better than now IMHO) but I also made the most of opportunities in Europe and the US for education. So I think I have a little experience of cultures and education standards.

Ireland has many issues and I express those concerns when needed, much to the disgust of many on this site also.

Different countries for years here too but what I can’t abide by is criticism of an entire culture as beejee did in saying he’s going to treat all others differently and less than. Admitting himself that he uses hyperbole in his descriptions of a people and place. What good does that do. Your experience and my experience is just that, subjective. I could contradict you and say Irish people on the whole are the least accepting of our faults and the biggest begrudgers. But that’s just my opinion. The point is I’m not going to treat anyone less than based on their nationality and that’s all that really matters here.

There you go with that disbelief again. Just imagine (try real hard), that I actually DID live there for years. Now, if you've managed that feat, just imagine how ridiculous you are to me.

Imagine me believing you are not a human being, how critically thick would you believe me to be?

Funny stuff, man. And now I know "nothing" of their backwards arse health system either, apparently. But of course, you have dreamt up that irrefutable fact based on all the information you have :p

Yes, I have met and know decent Americans. But exceptions do not make rules.

You alluded to helping some kind of injustices in the United States, well, God speed to the ones relying on your faculties, such as they are.

"mass shootings in the United States?! What do you mean!? ". Man, just go away and wallow amongst your equals.

Man, you literally described America as a “dump,” “the day you’d be jealous of living there” So why were you there then and why did you stay living there, amongst all the “exceptions?” The rest of your post is you just being deliberately obtuse.

Man, you literally described America as a “dump,” “the day you’d be jealous of living there” So why were you there then and why did you stay living there, amongst all the “exceptions?” The rest of your post is you just being deliberately obtuse.

Why I was initially there, well, I suppose naivety and a sense of adventure. Then down through the years it became necessary for work and such. Steadily the sheen wears off and f I got to see the reality of the place.

Have nothing to do with it anymore, won't even land in it for a stopover.

Anecdotally, I find that a lot of younger people here no longer find the United States attractive, whereas it wasn't too long ago it would have been number one choices all round.

The propaganda machine of Hollywood has run its course, I suppose.

Anyway, good luck with things and this is all just bumfluff, life goes on :)

Why I was initially there, well, I suppose naivety and a sense of adventure. Then down through the years it became necessary for work and such. Steadily the sheen wears off and f I got to see the reality of the place.

Have nothing to do with it anymore, won't even land in it for a stopover.

Anecdotally, I find that a lot of younger people here no longer find the United States attractive, whereas it wasn't too long ago it would have been number one choices all round.

The propaganda machine of Hollywood has run its course, I suppose.

Anyway, good luck with things and this is all just bumfluff, life goes on :)

Where did you live, if you don’t mind me asking? No worries if you don’t want to say. Well I’ll say that for myself my family and I were treated very well, and for a place rife with its own problems it was also a place that gave us many wonderful memories, opportunities and friends. Still know plenty who stayed and still travel there... but there ya go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭cantalach

I visit the US 5-6 times a year with my job - CA and OR mostly - and even these boring work trips usually result in one or two positive experiences. I holiday in the US too, both solo and with my family. Holidays are always good in the US. I find Americans in the most part to be polite, friendly, and helpful to visitors. There are some things I absolutely love about the place.

But even though I could probably get a transfer quite easily to the US with my job, I would never consider living there unless as a last resort. I could not get past things like healthcare availability, education costs, employment rights, gun control, political system, food safety standards, poor mental health, cost of living, undue influence of religion, etc. I cannot understand how anyone ignores these flaws when choosing a place to live and raise a family. But I realise there are many for whom the evaluation works out differently, including some of my oldest friends.

So if somebody sincerely believes that all things considered they are better off (in the broader sense of the phrase) living in the US, good luck to them. But those of us who believe otherwise are not inherently begrudgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

I always pity the people back around the area for Christmas as it’s only for a week or two and then they have to go back out abroad. I absolutely hate even the thought of living abroad.

No need for your pity. After a couple of weeks back for the Christmas you’ll find most people are more than ready to get back to their lives again. I know that’s the case with me anyway.

It all depends on where you live and how happy you are there. You seem to really struggle to understand how other people might have a different perspective than you. I really don’t get that attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

He subtly bragged about how much he was earning, how important his ‘role’ is, how well his family are doing.

At the end of the conversation I was feeling sympathetic to him more than anything. For some reason having made the decision to go away and build a life elsewhere he still needs the validation of the opinion of the community he comes from.

Would many of our emigrants on here understand this? Most people would dismiss the guy as a dckhead, but I think it’s more complex.

Its not really that complex. Stop focusing on other people (ie the competition)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_osKgFwKoDQ

Then there are four things that keep you poor:
    Keeping up with the Jones
    Unproductive Social media
    Lack of Continuous Professional Development
    and paying taxes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqsd45oFijY

Nobody wants to hear a sob story, negative people repel people. He wasnt being a dckhead he was just being up beat. "Sometimes the problem is you" Simon Sinek. This is why I dont go down to my local when I go home. They are all the same people who landed on their feet, got an apprenticeship, played on the county team and got the house and married a local girl.

We chose the road less travelled, this is why our lives appear more interesting. They are more difficult and more rewarding, its a trade off.
    You made your own decision, you are a big boy. Look after your own field and dont be worried about anyone elses field, till your own.

• Advertisement

........ This is why I dont go down to my local when I go home. They are all the same people who landed on their feet, got an apprenticeship, played on the county team and got the house and married a local girl.........

Your local has loads of former county players..... That were all tradesmen..... And married local girls?

Your road is less travelled? Do tell more.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement