Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Underground

Switched to Interactive Brokers from Degiro about a month ago, would recommend. Good platform but would stick to the app and online portal and forget about the trader workstation.

Opened a Tastyworks account too but it took them forever to open it (c. 4 weeks) so will be closing it soon. Seems a neat platform though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Switched to Interactive Brokers from Degiro about a month ago, would recommend. Good platform but would stick to the app and online portal and forget about the trader workstation.

Opened a Tastyworks account too but it took them forever to open it (c. 4 weeks) so will be closing it soon. Seems a neat platform though.

Is there a 10k dollar minimum to open an account?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Underground

Is there a 10k dollar minimum to open an account?

Nope, no minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

A little but I think long term the betting market in the US will open up

Agree with you.... and I hold a small position in DKNG. But would wait till it falls to maybe below $30 before adding anymore.

Nope, no minimum.

Interesting, there was when I was first looking for a broker almost 10 years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Interesting, there was when I was first looking for a broker almost 10 years ago

Minimum amount is gone, wasn't really being enforced anyway it seems.

Just be aware of the inactivity fee if your account value is less than $100k.

Accounts with less than $100,000 in net liquidation value are subject to certain monthly activity fees. While the first three months are free, after that time period, investors must generate a minimum of $10 in monthly commissions, or they'll be forced to pay the difference as an activity fee. For instance, an investor with a balance of less than $100,000 who places only a few trades in a month that generate only $3 in commissions will be assessed a $7 activity fee.

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    Minimum amount is gone, wasn't really being enforced anyway it seems.

Just be aware of the inactivity fee if your account value is less than $100k.

Accounts with less than $100,000 in net liquidation value are subject to certain monthly activity fees. While the first three months are free, after that time period, investors must generate a minimum of $10 in monthly commissions, or they'll be forced to pay the difference as an activity fee. For instance, an investor with a balance of less than $100,000 who places only a few trades in a month that generate only $3 in commissions will be assessed a $7 activity fee.

I'll stick with degiro so, even though I oppose the new rollout of the German Bank account

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I'll stick with degiro so, even though I oppose the new rollout of the German Bank account

Why so?

Bob24 wrote: »
    Why so?

I already have enough bank accounts on the go and could do without having to track another one

Maybe I'm just lazy but I haven't read up fully about the change. Do you have to transfer to this new bank account and then transfer to degiro or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

I already have enough bank accounts on the go and could do without having to track another one

Maybe I'm just lazy but I haven't read up fully about the change. Do you have to transfer to this new bank account and then transfer to degiro or what?

All it means is that instead if your Degiro cash funds being deposited in an overnight money market fund it's now in a bank account.

The advantage is that it's now covered to 100k under the bank guarantee whereas before only to 2.5k

• Advertisement

Bob Harris wrote: »
    All it means is that instead if your Degiro cash funds being deposited in an overnight money market fund it's now in a bank account.

The advantage is that it's now covered to 100k under the bank guarantee whereas before only to 3.5k

Will it require a separate app? And going through the know your customer requirements again?

Will it require a separate app? And going through the know your customer requirements again?

You have to complete an online form, tbh not sure the extent of the KYC required as it's done through DeGiro the ID you have with them may be enough. Any lodgements or withdrawals are then to this a/c. https://www.degiro.ie/cash-account/

You have to complete an online form, tbh not sure the extent of the KYC required as it's done through DeGiro the ID you have with them may be enough. Any lodgements or withdrawals are then to this a/c. https://www.degiro.ie/cash-account/

OK I'll finally read up on it and see what it involves thank you

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'm assuming it will be pretty much invisible to the end user. Your DeGiro account will just show you have €X,XXX in your balance. You buy shares the money comes from that balance. You sell shares the money shows up in that balance. No separate app or anything. Same way it works now except without your balance dropping all the time. This is just an assumption so I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

TBH I don’t know for sure, but I am expecting the new account is just a backend thing will just replace the MMF balance in the Degiro App/website with no change of how things work for the customer besides a new IBAN.

If it involves fragmenting the UX and making things more complicated for sure I wouldn’t like it either. But I don’t think they are that bad.

I'm assuming it will be pretty much invisible to the end user. Your DeGiro account will just show you have €X,XXX in your balance. You buy shares the money comes from that balance. You sell shares the money shows up in that balance. No separate app or anything. Same way it works now except without your balance dropping all the time. This is just an assumption so I could be wrong.

I read up on it and you're dead right, it will be integrated into degiro directly, no need for another app it seems. Interesting is that the account will have negative interest rates, compensated by degiro up to €2500

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I read up on it and you're dead right, it will be integrated into degiro directly, no need for another app it seems. Interesting is that the account will have negative interest rates, compensated by degiro up to €2500

That's the same or similar to the MMF. Pity it has a negative interest rate but I assume the deduction and compensation will only be done once a year now instead of every day.

Does anyone else watch mad money with Jim cramer on cnbc?

It's on at 11pm, scheduled fine on my iptv set up but on my sky go app (a friend's login) they show a talk show

It's on at 11pm, scheduled fine on my iptv set up but on my sky go app (a friend's login) they show a talk show

Hi, I'm Jim Cramer. Welcome to MAD MONEY. Welcome to Cramerica. Other people want to make friends, I just want to try to make you money. My job's not just to entertain but to educate you.

Hi, I'm Jim Cramer. Welcome to MAD MONEY. Welcome to Cramerica. Other people want to make friends, I just want to try to make you money. My job's not just to entertain but to educate you.

BOOYAH!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭timetogo1

It's available on podcast too. If you take him with a pinch of salt and do your own homework he's talked about a few companies that have made me money.

IAG Madrid up 8.5% and rising. Not sure what triggering this morning. 737s closer to flying but doubt that's it.

timetogo1 wrote: »
    It's available on podcast too. If you take him with a pinch of salt and do your own homework he's talked about a few companies that have made me money.

That's what Jim is all about making you money, not friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Can't say I've ever sat down and watched Cramer. Only ever seen his bad calls ridiculed online but that's understandable, online will jump on any mistakes.

What's his area of expertise or does he choose a wide variety of companies?

Kilboor wrote: »
    Can't say I've ever sat down and watched Cramer. Only ever seen his bad calls ridiculed online but that's understandable, online will jump on any mistakes.

What's his area of expertise or does he choose a wide variety of companies?

He pops on my youtube feed. I'll watch a few minutes of him barking like Scooby-doo every so often.

By and large despite some of the silliness on the show he makes a fair amount of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

Didn't know what to make of Cramer but thought that he must be a smart guy if he ran a hedge fund and returned 24% a year after fees for 15 years . . . but then you read about how that's never been verified and some of his dodgy stock picks during that time as well

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭MurDawg

All in on Slack - made some movements in video conferencing.... a little later than expected but should still get a decent foothold.

GameStop is exploding this morning.

Up 50% pre market

Kilboor wrote: »
    GameStop is exploding this morning.

Up 50% pre market

Looks short lived

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Shedite27 wrote: »
    A poster a few weeks back touted Livongo, I've been in it since mid May (about $60), been up about 60% in the past month, and jumped a lot after they increased revenue guidance last week.

They're a medical device company, use apps/technology to monitor things like Diabetes. Huge market, and they are capturing huge numbers of customers.

They were $114 at the peak Monday, took a drop since then, but should be about $100 today. Definitely a dip I'd recommend buying. It's my 3rd biggest holding
    This became my biggest holding since I posted this a few weeks back, got bought out by Teladoc today. Disappointed that it got bought as it was producing massive returns, excited to be part of Teladoc. I’ll probably trim the position at some point

Advertisement