Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Aidan Harney

Brookfield renewable seems to have split itself into two companies today. Fwiw. I wouldn't know the potential benefit or dis benefit to the shareholder who now has two sets of shares to the same previous value. Maybe bad insofar as there'll be double the transaction fees to sell off whenever...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

in2dark wrote: »
    What a day today... The worst on my portfolio was the bep. -30% ffs so all i could do was to buy some more...

If the instrument is mis-priced it should not be a worry...

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭in2dark

Brookfield renewable seems to have split itself into two companies today. Fwiw. I wouldn't know the potential benefit or dis benefit to the shareholder who now has two sets of shares to the same previous value. Maybe bad insofar as there'll be double the transaction fees to sell off whenever...

I read they merged with another company, didnt read they split

I read they merged with another company, didnt read they split

I had 100 percent brookfield renewable yesterday.
    Today is 80 percent brookfield renewable partners Ltd and 20 percent brookfield renewable corporation class.
    Again, not sure what that really means to me, but that's how it seems to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭in2dark

I had 100 percent brookfield renewable yesterday.
    Today is 80 percent brookfield renewable partners Ltd and 20 percent brookfield renewable corporation class.
    Again, not sure what that really means to me, but that's how it seems to be.

Yes now i read about the split... For every 4 bep you get a bepc

If you hold not dividable by 4 they will pay money back.

So now it explains the drop.

The problem is that im holding them in tradidng212 and bepc is not available.

Do you have them in degiro?

• Advertisement

Yes now i read about the split... For every 4 bep you get a bepc

If you hold not dividable by 4 they will pay money back.

So now it explains the drop.

The problem is that im holding them in tradidng212 and bepc is not available.

Do you have them in degiro?

Yup, degiro.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I don't follow this company by, no that is not what is happening... here is an article on it.

It is important to understand that Brookfield Renewable is a partnership not a corporation, which is why the structure is so complex - it needs to maintaining the tax advantage for the members of the partnership.

Membership of the partnership will receive shares in a subsidiary company at no expense to them, it addition to their current share of the partnership. When it all washes out the value as opposed to the holdings should be to their advantage. Since both the shareholders in TerraForm Power Inc and the partners voted for this, I would assume there is a significant financial interest in it for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Apple announced a 4-for-1 stock split

What happens if you have say 5 shares, do they sell the fifth?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,214 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It's a stock split 4 for 2 so you end up with 20 shares

Slava Ukrainii

It's a stock split 4 for 2 so you end up with 20 shares

4 for 1 you mean?

• Advertisement

4 for 1 you mean?

Edit: sorry I thought it was the reverse. Brain not working tonight. First time in 10 years I've ever had a stock split

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

stock splits used to be all the rage in the 90's

i remember being around when Intel and Lam split their stocks a few times back then

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭jams100

jams100 wrote: »
    Will give them a look.
    Anyone think Amazon shares are good value right now? If I didnt already have them in my portfolio I'd add them right now. There Q2 results are out on the 30th Im quite bullish on them and would expect to see a bump in their share price.
    Ibm had a significant gain in theirs when they released theres and amazon are already in the cloud segment. I also think their Amazon prime video segment will see a significant uptake considering netflix did and then obviously ecommerce should do well.
    I get that some of these things are already factored into their current share price but I'm still expecting them to top $3,200 on the 30th

Amazon topped 3,250 in after hours :D

Can still see some further growth for the year and especially so around Christmas as its extremely likely there will be no vaccine en masse by then.

Slightly disappointed by Alphabets results (Goog) but still see them as a very safe long term bet especially as they are increasing their focus on cloud segment (43% growth with cloud). Disappointed by their ad revenues, thought they would be much higher especially with companies boycotting the likes of Facebook.

I also purchased more shares in Shell today during their dip.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭Shedite27

It's the other way around, if you have 5 shares now, you'll have 20 new shares

It's the other way around, if you have 5 shares now, you'll have 20 new shares

Yeah I read it wrong my brain wasn't working last night!

IAG dropping below previous all time low since formation of new group, even below the €1.90 of the previous covid low. You'd imagine those that didn't sell then wont sell now (unless for tax reasons) and those that are selling are relatively new purchasers.

Earnings reporting (significant losses to Q2 and announcement of a share issue) has not been well received. So much for the market pricing in bad news in advance.

I'll be looking to get in later today to buy more. Would love if they'd hit €1.50 but not likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Providence news this morning.

Consortium details for getting Barryroe to production released!

Looks like a good day ;)

Kilboor wrote: »

Looks like a good day ;)

Oil be rooting for you!

1. Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I hold Pintrest and will add today, think they'll be a beneficiary of this as it seems to avoid Hate/Demonstration posts so should less impacted by this. They're also the social network with the best least inflated price so a lot of room to grow, and are also doing a big job at expanding overseas.
      Blew the results out of the water, up 35% in premarket

2. Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Welp - so much for the Kodak renaissance

3. Advertisement
    4. Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ShareShare

I hold Pintrest and will add today, think they'll be a beneficiary of this as it seems to avoid Hate/Demonstration posts so should less impacted by this. They're also the social network with the best least inflated price so a lot of room to grow, and are also doing a big job at expanding overseas.

Well done good sir!

5. Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

I foolishly invested into too many pharmaceutical stocks Jumping on the bandwagon and now paying the price.

Txmd - 23% Srne - 10% Opk - 12% Ontx - 12% Htbx - 30%

Any advice on Which one should I sell and take the loss and which one should I hold? ��
      I know ontx is relying on compliance, srne is waiting for approval for their 30 min covid test. I jumped into opk cause of the contract with nfl.

6. Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I foolishly invested into too many pharmaceutical stocks Jumping on the bandwagon and now paying the price.

Any advice on Which one should I sell and take the loss and which one should I hold? ��
      I know ontx is relying on compliance, srne is waiting for approval for their 30 min covid test. I jumped into opk cause of the contract with nfl.

You’re only really down if you cash in

7. Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

I know nothing of the above companies but if you don't need the cash just leave them there. Chances are some if not all will recover.
      You have to keep on eye on them as they could be up 30/40/50% out of nowhere and be back down very quickly.

8. Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭jams100

Pretty bad week :(

Amazon +5%
      Alphabet - 3.5%
      British American Tobacco - 4.5%
      Coca Cola - 3.5%
      DraftKings - 11.9%
      GAN - 9.3%
      Intel - 7%
      Manulife - 4.5%
      Microsoft - 0.2%
      Penn - 3.1%
      Pfizer -+ 0.6%
      Shell - 7.7%
      SSE (unchanged)
      Sony + 1%

Think British American Tobacco is good value where it stands

9. Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Amazon +5%
      Alphabet - 3.5%
      British American Tobacco - 4.5%
      Coca Cola - 3.5%
      DraftKings - 11.9%
      GAN - 9.3%
      Intel - 7%
      Manulife - 4.5%
      Microsoft - 0.2%
      Penn - 3.1%
      Pfizer -+ 0.6%
      Shell - 7.7%
      SSE (unchanged)
      Sony + 1%

don't forget the -2.5% for USD stock

10. Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

bfa1509 wrote: »
      don't forget the -2.5% for USD stock

Yeah that's a killer for me this week and indeed month

11. Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

Added more today having started around 2700. I think it's a bargain at current prices and likely to be resilient regardless of the economic picture over the next few months or years.

Bought an initial slice of Intel stock. I think it's in a great position. Huge profit margins, growing in the data centre space, low debt relatively, very focused on returning value to shareholders with a dividend approaching 3% and has been buying back stock for several years although this was paused in March. I honestly think its being seriously undervalued because it's not a new name in tech. Of course the chip is a problem but I think in 3 years it'll have proven to be a solid investment.

12. Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Lemonade has dipped a good bit since the surge following the IPO. Thinking of going in If price heads close to $50 during the week.

13. Advertisement
    14. Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭ChuckieEgg

robman60 wrote: »
      Added more today having started around 2700. I think it's a bargain at current prices and likely to be resilient regardless of the economic picture over the next few months or years.

Bought an initial slice of Intel stock. I think it's in a great position. Huge profit margins, growing in the data centre space, low debt relatively, very focused on returning value to shareholders with a dividend approaching 3% and has been buying back stock for several years although this was paused in March. I honestly think its being seriously undervalued because it's not a new name in tech. Of course the chip is a problem but I think in 3 years it'll have proven to be a solid investment.

Microchip Technology inc. are in for a good few years ahead. With the incoming surge in home automation and IoT they are well set up for this and will reap huge rewards.

Advertisement