Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you just "don't get"?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

In science an idea graduates to a hypothesis of it can be tested and graduates to a theory when it has been rigorously tested but hasn't been disproved. And that's a pretty high bar. Do the theory of gravity explains the facts we observe about gravity. Similarly the theory of evolution explains the facts we observe about evolution.

Laws are much more discreet and are much less likely to be disproved but a theory is more likely to be disproved or modified.
    Really it has nothing to do with how proven it is, although this is provided as an explanation in many books. There are things with absolutely no evidence or in fact even evidence against them that are called theories or laws, e.g. String Theory and Bekenstein's Law.

It's just:
    Theory = Idea or extensive body of work/knowledge
    Law = Succinct short idea

Hypothesis is rare outside of its use in Statistics and Medicine where it means "idea to be tested".

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Fourier wrote: »
    Really it has nothing to do with how proven it is, although this is provided as an explanation in many books. There are things with absolutely no evidence or in fact even evidence against them that are called theories or laws, e.g. String Theory and Bekenstein's Law.

It's just:
    Theory = Idea or extensive body of work/knowledge
    Law = Succinct short idea

Hypothesis is rare outside of its use in Statistics and Medicine where it means "idea to be tested".

Hypothesis is a common term in any research endeavor in any field.

Hypothesis is a common term in any research endeavor in any field.
    Of course as part of the use of statistics in those fields, i.e. hypothesis testing. It's rarely the name for an large body of explanation on the scale of evolution etc.

Fourier wrote: »
    Of course as part of the use of statistics in those fields, i.e. hypothesis testing. It's rarely the name for an large body of explanation on the scale of evolution etc.

Not necessarily statistic focused.

From Merriam Webster

Definition of hypothesis
    1a: an assumption or concession made for the sake of argument
    b: an interpretation of a practical situation or condition taken as the ground for action
    2: a tentative assumption made in order to draw out and test its logical or empirical consequences

Not necessarily statistic focused
    Okay, show me a large explanatory framework like evolution or relativity that has hypothesis in its name. There are a few, but what I'm saying is that they are rare and that the use of hypothesis in their name has little to do with how much evidence they have.

The use of hypothesis that you are talking about is separate, related to a current idea being tested in a lab where the usage is mostly colloquial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I don't get why garden centres have to close totally.
    I thought they'd come in under the category of essential businesses for food production. Perhaps they don't have to but prefer to for various reasons, but if it's that they have to....

Also puzzled as to why the government don't seem to have done anything to help with supermarkets who are still overwhelmed. Or can't do anything...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I don't get how cars and trucks still manage to crash into the Luas.

That tram came out of nowhere your honour!

I don't get why garden centres have to close totally.
    I thought they'd come in under the category of essential businesses for food production. Perhaps they don't have to but prefer to for various reasons, but if it's that they have to....

Also puzzled as to why the government don't seem to have done anything to help with supermarkets who are still overwhelmed.

I can see where you're coming from with then being related to food production but I can also see them as being unnecessary. Its probably because of the amount of people who would go to buy plants and unimportant things.

I can see where you're coming from with then being related to food production but I can also see them as being unnecessary. Its probably because of the amount of people who would go to buy plants and unimportant things.

Yes, and it might be treated like more of a day out.

Apparently some places can still deliver certain items like compost & vegetable seeds and plants.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

What's with those models on Wish with arses like two perfectly formed spheres?
    Why don't we see these bubbly arses anywhere else?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Shady Grady

Yes, and it might be treated like more of a day out.

Apparently some places can still deliver certain items like compost & vegetable seeds and plants.

You can gather seeds from some fruits and veg you buy in the shops to plant. Like strawberries the small black seeds under the green tops you can plant. As for apples take off the outer coating of the seeds and plant those to grow apple trees. Same with oranges,lemons,etc.take off the outer coating and plant the inner seeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

I don't get how cars and trucks still manage to crash into the Luas.

'Cause Yellow Boots man / Breakfast Roll man ain't too bright...if you catch my drift.

Fugg all traffic....big heavy boot to the floor......low bridges /level crossings / luas trams.....aaaaaaargh !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I don't get the Yanks. Full stop. No offence to any yanks here but boy do you guys leave me scratching my head.

Dan.

I don't get the Yanks. Full stop. No offence to any yanks here but boy do you guys leave me scratching my head.

I don't get people who go on as if Americans are all one and the same. There are 300+ million of them with every conceivable background imaginable. Multiple time-zones, cultures, ethnicities, climates. Compare Manhattan to rural Alabama. A different world. Compare Mormon Utah to Latin-inspired Miami. Alaska vs Hawaii. The Bayou to South Central L.A.

You can gather seeds from some fruits and veg you buy in the shops to plant. Like strawberries the small black seeds under the green tops you can plant. As for apples take off the outer coating of the seeds and plant those to grow apple trees. Same with oranges,lemons,etc.take off the outer coating and plant the inner seeds.

Useful, thanks.
    At least I am fortunate in that I planted 4 x Irish apple trees last spring and have some soft fruit and a hazelnut tree (with more wild ones hopefully close enough for it to be productive).

Just on that note, was just reading a bbc article about the UK gardening industry. Theres going to be so much loss and hardship I know, but for me theres something really sad about it. Hundreds of thousands of 'ornamental' plants are now going to have to be 'binned'. All those roses, and other not obviously edible plants, it's such a shame, and the whole industry is destroyed and might never return to what it was.
    I know breeders and growers and cut flower farmers I originally connected to via the internet and I feel so sorry for them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,770 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

People expecting the 2 metre distance rule to apply when simply walking past someone.

Don't get me wrong, I'm taking the guidelines very seriously. I'm washing hands a lot - using sanitiser when out. I'm seriously restricting going out (I'm allowed travel to work but only do so when absolutely necessary). I haven't touched another human apart from my wife for weeks. I'm giving loads of space in queues and at checkouts.

But walking past someone at a metre distance is not going to give you the virus!

People expecting the 2 metre distance rule to apply when simply walking past someone.

But walking past someone at a metre distance is not going to give you the virus!

Correct. 1 meter is fine by most literature I've read. 2 meters is the recommendation, where possible.

CIF.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Had a guy walk out on to the road to get, I'd guess about 3 metres from me, when I was walking the dog the other day. He was also using a scarf in lieu of an actual mask though so wouldn't be the brightest spark.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Had a guy walk out on to the road to get, I'd guess about 3 metres from me, when I was walking the dog the other day. He was also using a scarf in lieu of an actual mask though so wouldn't be the brightest spark.

In fairness he showed a bit o sense in keeping 3 metres away from you Deebs.......hmmmm ?:D

Maybe he fears he might have something and didn't want to pass it on.

Might be very considerate, even if less intelligent than yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Don't get me wrong, I'm taking the guidelines very seriously. I'm washing hands a lot - using sanitiser when out. I'm seriously restricting going out (I'm allowed travel to work but only do so when absolutely necessary). I haven't touched another human apart from my wife for weeks. I'm giving loads of space in queues and at checkouts.

Someone sneezes/coughs when you're beside them and you're a lot more likely to potentially catch any airborne nastiness they've just released.

Standing 1-2 metres away the likelihood lessens.

Maybe he fears he might have something and didn't want to pass it on.

Might be very considerate, even if less intelligent than yourself.

Definitely less intelligent, I have no doubt. If he had something he would surely have worn a mask if he was as intelligent as I. Scarf ain't keeping sh*t in or out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,359 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

You need to be close to someone for 15 minutes to be at risk, no need to dramatically walk out into the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Definitely less intelligent, I have no doubt. If he had something he would surely have worn a mask if he was as intelligent as I. Scarf ain't keeping sh*t in or out.
    Maybe, like a lot if us, he can't get a mask. I've seen news reports of health workers using scarves in lieu of proper masks.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Maybe, like a lot if us, he can't get a mask. I've seen news reports of health workers using scarves in lieu of proper masks.

Yeah, me too, they don't work though. My point being if the guy had something he should stay indoors, if he didn't, whats the point in the scarf?

Also, folks, don't buy masks unless you are infected/high risk. It takes them away from people who actually need them, doctors etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Yeah, me too, they don't work though. My point being if the guy had something he should stay indoors, if he didn't, whats the point in the scarf?

Also, folks, don't buy masks unless you are infected/high risk. It takes them away from people who actually need them, doctors etc.

Fair enough. I wanted masks for the home helps coming into my dad who obviously couldn't practice social distancing while doing their work. Couldn't get any so cancelled the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Bad advice there, imo.

Firstly, even a dust mask (DIY type) can prevent or reduce dispersal of droplets of the wearer coughs or sneezes. The advice is to behave as if you are infected, even if you have no symptoms. A mask will also make it more difficult to inadvertently touch your mouth or nose. Look at the results of their 100% use in Asian countries in reducing transmission.

Secondly, not buying or using a mask should have no real affect on their availability to health workers. I would hazard a guess that not many retailers sell the type of masks required by health professionals.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Bad advice there, imo.

Firstly, even a dust mask (DIY type) can prevent or reduce dispersal of droplets of the wearer coughs or sneezes. The advice is to behave as if you are infected, even if you have no symptoms. A mask will also make it more difficult to inadvertently touch your mouth or nose. Look at the results of their 100% use in Asian countries in reducing transmission.

Secondly, not buying or using a mask should have no real affect on their availability to health workers. I would hazard a guess that not many retailers sell the type of masks required by health professionals.

While it may be of some small use, it will not prevent anything, very much a last chance resort as outlined below. The advice is also for the public not to wear masks. We do not have enough in the Western world to cover our healthcare staff, so they need to be prioritised. Instead, its almost becoming a fashion accessory.

Hazarding a guess isn't really good enough.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks
    • If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with suspected 2019-nCoV infection.
    • Wear a mask if you are coughing or sneezing.
    There is limited guidance and clinical research to inform on the use of reusable cloth face masks for protection against respiratory viruses. Available evidence shows that they are less protective than surgical masks and may even increase the risk of infection due to moisture, liquid diffusion and retention of the virus.Penetration of particles through cloth is reported to be high. In one study, 40–90% of particles penetrated the mask. In a cluster randomised controlled trial,cases of influenza-like illness and laboratory-confirmed viral illness were significantly higher among healthcare workers using cloth masks compared to the ones using surgical masks[1,2] Altogether, common fabric cloth masks are not considered protective against respiratory viruses and their use should not be encouraged.In the context of severe personal protective equipment (PPE) shortages, and only if surgical masks or respirators are not available, home-made cloth masks (e.g. scarves) are proposed as a last-resort interim solution by the US CDC until availability of standard PPE is restored

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/kidspost/face-mask-shortage-causes-governments-to-step-in-to-help-medical-workers/2020/03/03/852755fe-5400-11ea-b119-4faabac6674f_story.html
    Governments are taking emergency steps to ease shortages of face masks for front-line doctors and nurses dealing with the spread of the new coronavirus.
    The French government announced it would claim supplies of protective masks, while the United States relaxed rules on the kind of masks health-care workers can use.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/ppe-strategy/face-masks.html

https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2020-03-25/coronavirus-covid-19-face-mask-surgical-mask-protection/12088314
    While protecting yourself from coronavirus is key to helping slow its spread, face masks are not recommended for healthy members of the general public.
    They are, however, essential for people who are suspected or confirmed of having COVID-19, or looking after someone who is unwell.
    That includes frontline health workers, who are facing major shortages of masks, with some hospitals reportedly days away from running out.
    While masks can help to prevent transmission of disease from infected people to others, they are not recommended for healthy people for the prevention of infections like COVID-19.
    That's because there is limited evidence to support the widespread use of surgical masks in healthy people to prevent community transmission.
    Bruce Thompson, dean of health at Swinburne University, said the Federal Government was right to discourage healthy people from wearing face masks, since "panic buying" of masks was limiting supply to those that needed them most.
    "We don't have the supply chain for everyone to have them, and the hospitals need them," he said.

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/31/21198132/coronavirus-covid-face-masks-n95-respirator-ppe-shortage
    The shift in expert guidance has come in the past couple of weeks — as the coronavirus has spread throughout the US. A recent report by public health experts for the conservative-leaning American Enterprise Institute (AEI) was unequivocal: “everyone, including people without symptoms, should be encouraged to wear nonmedical fabric face masks while in public.”
    You should note who conducted that study^^^
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Enterprise_Institute

Before going on to read:
    This all comes with a big caveat: When it comes to traditional medical masks, we still need to address a supply shortage for doctors, nurses, and other health care workers before people buy their own masks. A big public run on masks could make an already critical shortage of masks and other personal protective equipment (PPE) for doctors and nurses even worse. The shortage doesn’t just hurt health care workers, but all of us — because we need as many doctors and nurses as possible to stay healthy so they can treat and save people who are sick, not just with Covid-19 but with other illnesses too.

“I am worried that telling people to wear masks will strain already weak supplies that are needed by doctors and nurses,” Jennifer Nuzzo, an epidemiologist at Johns Hopkins University, told me. “If we are able to fix that supply chain, I’d feel less worried about this. But some of the shortages initially were due to members of public and medical staff raiding medical offices’ and hospitals’ supplies for home use.”
    There’s also a concern that public masks could give people an exaggerated sense of security. Masks don’t make you invincible, and they absolutely can’t replace good hygiene — Wash your hands! Don’t touch your face! — and social distancing. Even in Asian countries where widespread mask use is common, good hygiene and social distancing have been necessary to combat Covid-19. Epidemiological models also suggest coronavirus cases will rise if social distancing measures are relaxed, potentially causing hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of deaths in the US alone.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/coronavirus-covid-19-ppe-face-mask-shortages-creative-solutions
    As COVID-19 sweeps across the United States, hospitals are running out of masks, gowns and eye protection. New supplies aren’t being made fast enough to keep up with demand, and stockpiles seem insufficient.
    Proposals have flooded in with predominant themes emerging on how to reuse the face masks called N95s, thick, tight-fitting masks that can block tiny virus particles, and how to make alternatives to commercial ones. The innovation on display convinced surgeon Ed Livingston, a coauthor of the editorial and an editor at JAMA, that “this is the biomedical engineering community’s Apollo 13 moment.”
    In this fast-moving emergency, it’s unclear which homespun efforts will help the most.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s new crisis guidelines to health care workers says that where no face masks are available, homemade masks, made of bandannas or scarves, for instance, can be used as a last resort.“That’s how desperate they are, that they said that,” Livingston says.
    Cloth masks aren’t ideal. A 2015 study of over 1,000 healthcare workers in Hanoi, Vietnam, found that those who were assigned to wear cloth masks were more likely to get a respiratory virus than those who wore medical masks, made of thick fibers that catch a range of particles.

Thus concludes my longest post on Boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,937 ✭✭✭pgj2015

people who wear masks while driving their car, and its just themselves in the car.

• Advertisement

pgj2015 wrote: »
    people who wear masks while driving their car, and its just themselves in the car.

Surely it is better to leave it on rather than remove it every time you get in and out of the car. Less chance of contamination.

Advertisement