Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you just "don't get"?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

:eek: I always thought you got your username from his Discworld books.

I didn't know it was in them until someone else said the same :)

Maybe I need to givd them another go, as I only glanced through about 10 years ago.

I didnt "get" the pillars of the earth, another one people tell me I would love. Just didn't grab me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

People, and there are a lot of them out there, who throw their disposable gloves on the ground. Put them in the bin or take them home 'disposable' does not meen you can just throw them at your arse.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I love Terry Pratchett's books but I don't think they are for everyone. You would need at least a passing interest in fantasy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Watches

We have a forum even here about watches which I read but I am so completely uninformed I never post

I see google ads for watches and some look nice to me

What I don't get is the massive cost. I've seen 300 euro watches which look super and 30,000 euro watches which are godawful ugly

I think the most expensive watch I bought from a jeweller was 60 euro and I liked it and was happy. Some can pay tens of thousands!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,528 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I don't get Terry Prachett. Everyone tells me I'll love his books.

Read one of his books awhile back, based on the recommendation of a geek cousin. Was called ‘Moving Pictures’.

He said I’d enjoy it based on the fact that he knew I liked Monty Python. I actually had high hopes for the book, it had a rather “heavy chested” cartoon woman on the cover.

Not sure if they do grown up covers for adults too ashamed to be reading kid’s books, as they did with the Harry Porter ones.

The cover was a bluff, anyway. There was no “bawdy” element to this pseudo-parody of the early Hollywood film era. Just trolls, wizards, little gremlins, dwarves, and a talking dog, you know, the usual fantasy “parade”. Or is it magical realism?

Anyway, I’d suggest one of Tom Holt’s books if you’re looking for “comic” re-telling of historical/mythical events.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Direct line ads. A travesty to the movies. Why on earth do some ad folks think its a great idea?

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Don't get why people buy scarves, they are one of the most useless items in existence

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Watches

We have a forum even here about watches which I read but I am so completely uninformed I never post

I see google ads for watches and some look nice to me

What I don't get is the massive cost. I've seen 300 euro watches which look super and 30,000 euro watches which are godawful ugly

I think the most expensive watch I bought from a jeweller was 60 euro and I liked it and was happy. Some can pay tens of thousands!
    Banned. Fcuk! Wrong forum.

634d442facebc75116f03c1a88b04fecf563e74ca966a37fb999b20055586135.jpg

:D

Yeah MM a large part of the cost with many brands is down to marketing and the luxury aspect and perceptions of rarity and authenticity. Like anything buy what you like. I've a few that cost me little enough but would be expensive now, but my fave watches I wear most? Cost me 200 quid or under and even with the mad "values" more latterly wouldn't be much more these days.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The Watch Wan*ers Forum, I know it well!

* = t

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Esel wrote: »
    The Watch Wan*ers Forum, I know it well!

* = t

You are so lucky I had to scroll down to card you:D

• Advertisement

The amount of casual drink driving shown on tv shows and films.
    Keep an eye out for it and you will notice it loads.

In Friday Night Dinner on C4 for instance, every time Auntie Val calls over she goes straight for the wine, then she drives back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,770 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The amount of casual drink driving shown on tv shows and films.
    Keep an eye out for it and you will notice it loads.

In Friday Night Dinner on C4 for instance, every time Auntie Val calls over she goes straight for the wine, then she drives back home.

Perhaps she has a small amount of wine and waits an appropriate amount of time before driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Things with "as seen on TV" on the box/label.

I've never seen them in tv.

Perhaps she has a small amount of wine and waits an appropriate amount of time before driving?
    Last week she had a big glass and she only stayed about 10 minutes. Adam is at the same craic most weeks too.

Last week she had a big glass and she only stayed about 10 minutes. Adam is at the same craic most weeks too.

Fair enough.
    Not on.

People who say stuff like :

I tell it like it is
    I don't take no sh1t
    People can't handle me
    I probably freak you out
    You can't handle the truth
    I don't care if people like me

Really, you're just an ass hole, J C D

Baked beans.

I've enjoyed pretty much every variety of bean that I've eaten as an adult but, for some reason, haricot beans in a tin in a commercial tomato sauce,turns my stomach.

Possibly a childhood food aversion that I've never gotten over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Brooklyn 99.

A more unfunny, pile of unmitigated ****e I’ve seen in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,966 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Brooklyn 99.

I second that. It's so formulaic and bland but, obviously it works and some people watch it or else it wouldn't be on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

Women with giant eye brows!

• Advertisement

Brooklyn 99.

Right up there with The Big Bang Theory as a laugh-free zone. Although both are eclipsed by the sizzling intensity of my hatred for Impractical Jokers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Brooklyn 99.

its taken over the mantle from Big Bang Theory and Friends, mediocre bland comedy, which for some people rave about....on about 60 times a day and painfully average

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Watches

+1

Haven't worn a watch in about 10 years.

If I need to know the time, just look at the phone.

I do have a Garmin but only used when I run.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,966 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

its taken over the mantle from Big Bang Theory and Friends, mediocre bland comedy, which for some people rave about....on about 60 times a day and painfully average

Friends is absolutely brutal. My mrs watches it now and again. The laughter track would cut through your head. Same with Big Bang Theory but at least it isn’t put on in the house.

The big laughs after every line FFS. Ever trey watching the versions on YouTube without the laughter track? Without the laughter track, nobody would be laughing.

War of the Buttons on Easter Weekend, never understood the love for it.
    Shouty squabbling kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

War of the Buttons on Easter Weekend, never understood the love for it.
    Shouty squabbling kids.

No way would they get away with the nude scenes today either.

No way would they get away with the nude scenes today either.

Ha. Can't imagine many parents being ok with that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

People paying big money for the latest Gillette Mach 3 formula 1 super turbo 2020 razor or whatever they are called these days.

I used to do this and when I was a broke student it was a large chunk of money to be paying. After a few uses the razor was no good anyway. The power of marketing and hey it worked on me too

Go thee to the Gentlemans club forum and learn about old skool stuff. A luxurious shave I tell ya! Sure you have to lay out a bit of money in advance on various things like a brush, double edged razor, soap and other stuff but it works out cheaper in the end. A blade costs about 5cent sure

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Disney+

• Advertisement

BBQ/Smoking.

Pulled pork.
    Smoked brisket.
    Ribs.
    Smoked chicken.
    BBQ sauce.
    Coleslaw.

I'm a keen cook and plan to replace my gas grill for cooking steaks, fish etc but I just don't get the love of these long, slow, smoky cooks.

I do love long slow cooks - did braised pig cheeks yesterday - I just don't get the whole BBQ thing.

Advertisement