Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you just "don't get"?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Arguments where people are so single minded about something ...or just get mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Humans.

I don't get humans.

There I said it.

I don't get sex either.. .. .. literally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

People who buy their kids dirt bikes when they have no where to go on. Other then up and down streets. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,357 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

jaxxx wrote: »
    Humans.

I don't get humans.

There I said it.

I don't get sex either.. .. .. literally.

Solving the first problem would likely solve the second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Shady Grady

Arguments where people are so single minded about something ...or just get mad.

MOD: Deleted - Watch your tone please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

MOD: Deleted - Watch your tone please

Oh dear I have a nutter following me around.

This because of the bible thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭RCSATELLITES

What do irish people spend their money on? Everybody seems to be broke or pretend to be. I suppose no one had a rainy day fund for this pandemic. And now that everything is closed will everybody be loaded with cash or?

Also please bear in mind that 611,877 houses are owned outright.
    Almost half of all rural houses are owned outright.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

What do irish people spend their money on? Everybody seems to be broke or pretend to be. I suppose no one had a rainy day fund for this pandemic. And now that everything is closed will everybody be loaded with cash or?

Also please bear in mind that 611,877 houses are owned outright.
    Almost half of all rural houses are owned outright.

How many people have you actual detailed knowledge of their finances?

Your probably experiencing confirmation bias where you focus on the people who say that the 3 people out of a group of 6 who say that they are broke and ignore that the other 3 (or 2 if not counting yourself) didn't say anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,937 ✭✭✭pgj2015

What do irish people spend their money on?

Alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Big kick ass Jeeps that they can drive two miles to the Shopping Mall and at the weekend clog up the narrow roads in our natural beauty spots.

They also buy sunglasses which they carry on the top of their heads.

White trousers (females) a must have garment for a girls nite out in restaurent / pub.

Stuff like that........

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

While it may be of some small use, it will not prevent anything, very much a last chance resort as outlined below. The advice is also for the public not to wear masks. We do not have enough in the Western world to cover our healthcare staff, so they need to be prioritised. Instead, its almost becoming a fashion accessory.

Hazarding a guess isn't really good enough.
    All those links are promoting non use of masks among the public almost entirely because of supply issues in the health services. A few of them are quite clear on this. That's it. End of. Full stop. Period, if you're American.

Their efficacy was demonstrated in numerous studies into the spread of SARS, where they were found and I quote "strongly protective" in lessening the spread among the community. The Czech Republic have mandated their use in public settings, homemade as well as shop bought and a grassroots campaign on social media is helping to make and distribute them and their community R0 number has notably dropped since their introduction. In Austria you can't enter a shop or supermarket or enclosed public space without one. In Korea and Taiwan you have to wear one outdoors or suffer a fine and Taiwan spent government monies to distribute them to every household. When the WHO first showed up in Wuhan among the first things the local doctors and scientists asked was why aren't you wearing masks and promptly issued them.

I will lay bets now that in six months time the masks are no use in community settings will be considered bad advice worldwide.

Things I don't get? How people can read HSE missives on a subject like the above where they state in plain english two contradictory statements that fly in the face of the most basic logic, but people continue to swallow it and repeat it as gospel. Though it does amply demonstrate how "marketing" and "propaganda" can short circuit logical thinking in the public psyche, even when it's coming from an overall positive angle.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Banana bread

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Alcohol.
    Lately we rub it on our hands more than pour it down our throat ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Wibbs wrote: »
    All those links are promoting non use of masks among the public almost entirely because of supply issues in the health services. A few of them are quite clear on this. That's it. End of. Full stop. Period, if you're American.

Their efficacy was demonstrated in numerous studies into the spread of SARS, where they were found and I quote "strongly protective" in lessening the spread among the community. The Czech Republic have mandated their use in public settings, homemade as well as shop bought and a grassroots campaign on social media is helping to make and distribute them and their community R0 number has notably dropped since their introduction. In Austria you can't enter a shop or supermarket or enclosed public space without one. In Korea and Taiwan you have to wear one outdoors or suffer a fine and Taiwan spent government monies to distribute them to every household. When the WHO first showed up in Wuhan among the first things the local doctors and scientists asked was why aren't you wearing masks and promptly issued them.

I will lay bets now that in six months time the masks are no use in community settings will be considered bad advice worldwide.

Things I don't get? How people can read HSE missives on a subject like the above where they state in plain english two contradictory statements that fly in the face of the most basic logic, but people continue to swallow it and repeat it as gospel. Though it does amply demonstrate how "marketing" and "propaganda" can short circuit logical thinking in the public psyche, even when it's coming from an overall positive angle.

I agree with you on some of that Wibbs (some of it is referenced in my post) and while I'm not going over the whole thing again I will say the shortage is a worldwide problem (as referenced in my post), not just American. I also didn't quote the HSE at any point, if that part was aimed at me.

I would rather take what WHO and others have to say into account than lay bets about it but of course proper masks are of some use (not scarves as was being discussed earlier), when and only when they are used properly and with other measures. Homemade masks are used as a last resort (also part of my post). The problem is these homemade versions are being used by healthcare staff because there is a shortage, while people do not need them are wearing them.

Edit: I think I went on too much last night and I think I might be doing it again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I would rather take what WHO and others have to say into account than lay bets about it
    Actually D I would increasingly take with a large pinch of salt what the WHO has to say on many things. They're woefully underfunded, take ages to pull their finger out and are all too keen to kow tow politically when and where it suits. Their performance during the current crisis has been at times woefully and dangerously incompetent. They're not fit for purpose in their current incarnation and need a total rejig and a tonne of cash and resources thrown at them. Hopefully they'll get it now. But that's off topic so.. :o:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I don't get why WHO are underfunded :pac:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Tomrota

I don’t get why people keep voting for the same **** in every country over and over again. Do people not want society to improve? Scandinavian countries have the correct approach but that needs to be taken further.

Can’t understand why anyone wants to live in a society where people are able to go around without education, without the ability to critically think, read statistics, etc. A society where people are able to walk the streets with their Adidas tracksuits without even knowing what Dáil Éireann is or how anything works. Why are we as a society accepting this? Why do we keep voting for Fine Gael/Fianna Fail neoliberal free market capitalism? It doesn’t work in the UK, it doesn’t work in the USA and it certainly doesn’t work here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,528 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Wibbs wrote: »
    Actually D I would increasingly take with a large pinch of salt what the WHO has to say on many things.

They made mugs of all when “this” all started.

We were all laughing at the mouth breathers, oddballs, SF voters and other “cranks” who were banging on about the ‘5G Black Death’ that would rival the Spanish Flu coming our way.

We’re not laughing now.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

They made mugs of all when “this” all started.

We were all laughing at the mouth breathers, oddballs, SF voters and other “cranks” who were banging on about the ‘5G Black Death’ that would rival the Spanish Flu coming our way.

We’re not laughing now.

Yes but a stopped clock is correct once a day.

Or in this case a raving idiot is correct once a century.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Tomrota wrote: »
    I don’t get why people keep voting for the same **** in every country over and over again. Do people not want society to improve? Scandinavian countries have the correct approach but that needs to be taken further.

Can’t understand why anyone wants to live in a society where people are able to go around without education, without the ability to critically think, read statistics, etc. A society where people are able to walk the streets with their Adidas tracksuits without even knowing what Dáil Éireann is or how anything works. Why are we as a society accepting this? Why do we keep voting for Fine Gael/Fianna Fail neoliberal free market capitalism? It doesn’t work in the UK, it doesn’t work in the USA and it certainly doesn’t work here.

Ireland is, per capita, one of the most highly educated countries in the world.
    Proportionally speaking, we also rate highly in access to healthcare and accommodation even though both of these areas have significant room for improvement.
    We recovered faster than most countries after the financial crash of 08 and are projected to be one of the more secure economies by the OECD in terms of resilience to the impact of Covid-19.

And before you say that I am just another FF/FG shill or capitalist pig, I am aligned with neither and spend a good portion of my time here advocating for real significant action on practices relating to the climate and also defending myself from accusations of being some sort of liberal or SJW on various other topics.

We have massive room for improvement, but, we need to find a way to work at this without throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭bonny!

Posters on this site who give out about social media referring to Facebook, Instagram etc. This is social media. As if being anonymous makes it honorable or something :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Those horrible looking white SUVs that seem to be almost exclusively driven by women.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

bonny! wrote: »
    Posters on this site who give out about social media referring to Facebook, Instagram etc. This is social media. As if being anonymous makes it honorable or something :pac:

I knew someone who sneered at Facebook but was on about 7 messaging apps, instagram and other sites like boards. "Facebook is for sharing with strangers" he said. :D

Facebook can be a good resource and it can be fun. It is what you make it, and who you choose to interact with.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Fad diets.
    Atkins, Paleo, Blood type, etc.
    They all boil down to the one thing; calories in Vs calories out.
    Burn off more than you consume and you'll lose weight.
    That
    Is
    It.

The witch hunting of perceived pandemic rule breakers.
    I read an article describing *every single person* at an *outdoor food market* as a "selfish piece of sh1t".

Wtf are people like that writer thinking? What's the real reason for dehumanising people for legally buying food ,as "pieces of sh1t" ? This sort of thing is usually followed by gleeful comments about the punishments that should be served.

I know for a fact some of the most vociferous denunciations have been made by people who flouted every bit of advice and protocol until the last minute. The " it's just the flu" crew. So why the scapegoating...It's weirdly fascinating.

I don't get Terry Prachett. Everyone tells me I'll love his books.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,937 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I read an article describing *every single person* at an *outdoor food market* as a "selfish piece of sh1t".

Wtf are people like that writer thinking? What's the real reason for dehumanising people for legally buying food ,as "pieces of sh1t" ? This sort of thing is usually followed by gleeful comments about the punishments that should be served.

I know for a fact some of the most vociferous denunciations have been made by people who flouted every bit of advice and protocol until the last minute. The " it's just the flu" crew. So why the scapegoating...It's weirdly fascinating.

its the usual story, angry people taking out frustrations because of their $hit life on others.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

There was a poster on a regional forum here castigating people for not wearing gloves and facemasks, like he was.

You couldn't make it up - giving out about people following official guidelines.
    The public are being asked to leave face masks for people who really need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

fussyonion wrote: »
    Fad diets.
    Atkins, Paleo, Blood type, etc.
    They all boil down to the one thing; calories in Vs calories out.
    Burn off more than you consume and you'll lose weight.
    That
    Is
    It.

I agree that dieting for a period of time doesn't work but it's not as simple as calories in v calories out, theirs also fighting the urge for unhealthy food and staying motivated with exercise which take a considerable amount of effort to maintain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I don't get Terry Prachett. Everyone tells me I'll love his books.
    :eek: I always thought you got your username from his Discworld books.

Advertisement