Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest Rotterdam 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

I admit I've foolishly allowed myself to get my hopes up pre reveal. The inevitable disappointment on the first listen will be even tougher this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭LordBasil

Yeah, I'm optimistic despite previous experience.

Interesting that 2 people who were not involved in the selection are bigging it up.

Philly McMahon agreed instantly upon hearing it to be staging director, which is a sign that it must be decent as ThisIsPopBaby are a respected production company and he would never want to be associated with something mediocre. Tracey Clifford, who is known for her brutal honesty, also seems very impressed with the song.

I hope next Thursday we are not disappointed...

Re Germany: Good, contempory song, the kind of song I was expecting the UK to send. I can see it finishing top 10, maybe even top 5 with good performance and staging but it doesn't feel like a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Amik

LordBasil wrote: »

It's decent enough, won't win but could sneak a top 10/15 Result.

4 of the Big 5 sending male soloists with ballads, only Germany left to reveal their act and song tonight.

A great opportunity for non-ballads and almighty bops to prosper this year.....

Let's not forget politics: did you factor in the Brexit coefficient? May bring it down into the 20s. :)

I agree it's very decent. Love that pause before "Breath" during the chorus. Catchy!

• Registered Users Posts: 72,325 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Where are Go Harvey Go and Welsh Megaman this year, have they posted yet?

*bursts through door with a single kick*

*puts on sunglasses*

Whazzzzzup? :cool:

Anyhoo, I listened to the UK entry just now for the first time - typical Ed Sheeran-type singalong, don’t do nothing for the Megaman.

Good of Tommy Tiernan to appear in the video though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

We haven't sent a good song in years, doubt that will change anytime soon, the people picking our songs are still stuck in the 90s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72,325 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Belarus

Picked on Friday night, not as bad as I'd heard it was supposed to be, maybe just a bit weird. They managed to turn last year's mess into a qualifer so I wouldn't rule this out either.

Estonia

Dated ballad. Will struggle massively from the first half of its semi-final, there was apparently a much better choice in the national final. Already a lot of male soloists so far and this is probably the worst of the lot.

Moldova

Not good, difficult to see any circumstances where this would qualify.

Croatia

Another ballad that wouldn't have sounded out of place about 20 years ago. Think this will also struggle.

Iceland

Thank god there was some bit of variety tonight! Weird and different, should definitely qualify from what is currently looking like a weak semi final.

Romania and Serbia to come tomorrow night!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Romania

Seems to be quite popular among the fandom and is the current new favourite to win, but I'm not really feeling it for some reason. Maybe it'll grow on me.

Serbia

Eurovision will.. not be coming back to Belgrade next year :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Juxtapose

Iceland song is great.

I fancy that to do very well, reminds me of Napoleon Dynamite :p

Greek entry was also released yesterday;

A decent if somewhat generic pop song but much welcomed in this ballad heavy year. Should qualify easily but beyond that will depend on staging and live performance.

Thoughts on other entries picked this weekend;

Romania: It was obvious Roxen wanted this to be selected. Her total lacklustre performance of 'Cherry Red', the only other song that could beat 'Alcohol You' said it all. I think it could do very well although it could depend on what Bulgaria's song is like.

Estonia: Awful, dated tripe

Moldova: As above. Philip Kirkorov songs should be banned from Moldovan NFs.

Iceland: Love this, seems to be going viral on social media. Will damage Lithuania in terms of novelty factor.

Serbia: A bop, won't win but like Greece, much needed this year.

Croatia: A song we've heard 500 times at ESC. Unlikely to qualify from SF1.

Belarus: A song from ESC 2002, I can't help but like it. Will struggle to qualify from SF1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Love the Iceland song! Super catchy, cheesy dance moves and odd instruments. The video is brilliant.

Lithuania and Iceland just gasped...

Russia will be sending Little Big!

8ffd1f21-388a-4fd3-94db-bbb6f408feab.jpg

Song not released yet but here's a sample of their madness. :P

Our entry will be making their live debut at The George this Thursday night.

https://twitter.com/TheGeorgeDublin/status/1234471493066788866

Ooh I forgot to post the Greek entry yesterday. Overall it's grand, a probably qualifier that won't trouble the top ten. Hope they don't sexualise her performance given that she's only 17!

Listening to Romania again today and I'm really not feeling it at all, don't know why this is proving as popular as it is. Gonna sound like a dick here but I find her braces quite distracting, but only cause I had them (twice!) in my teens. I got a laugh out of the performance of Cherry Red though, she just stood there like a sack of spuds and couldn't wait for it to end :pac:

Maybe I'm mad but Belarus is growing on me a lot, I find it weirdly charming! The presentation needs to be improved ten-fold, but I think this may qualify. I think they should lose the camp dancer, or maybe his role relegated to pretending to play an instrument like the other guy.

Saw this article about the Icelandic entry, they've had to deny allegations that Netflix are paying celebrities to push the song. Not entirely sure what the full story is here but it is certainly strange that Russell Crowe, of all people, would randomly tweet an Icelandic eurovision hopeful before it had even been selected. Either way I hope Netflix kindly fook off with their meddling.

Checked out Little Big, had never heard of them before. Wow! Some seriously catchy stuff, hope they don't tone it down for Eurovision :pac:

Mr.S wrote: »
    It sort of has to be somewhat decent or all this RTE Hype is going to be look very silly...

I'm quietly confident, this is seemingly the first time in a long time that RTE have made an effort. I'm assuming it's gonna be an upbeat song, which would instantly stand out amongst the majority of what's been picked so far. I just hope RTE will know how to do a dance song, and won't think that sending any aul tripe will do just because people won't be expecting it from Ireland.

Georgia;

Something different at least

The contest has taken a real turn the past few days with Iceland and Russia's act now let's hope there is a few more twists. I have a feeling that Switzerland, Malta and, dare I say it, Ireland are ones to watch out for. Also, The Netherlands apparently want to be the first nation since Ireland to win on home soil...

The Georgian song is three minutes of nothing imo, can't see it qualifying at present.
    LordBasil wrote: »
    The contest has taken a real turn the past few days with Iceland and Russia's act now let's hope there is a few more twists. I have a feeling that Switzerland, Malta and, dare I say it, Ireland are ones to watch out for. Also, The Netherlands apparently want to be the first nation since Ireland to win on home soil...

Interesting if true! It's been a while since a country has made a concerted effort to win as host. I'd argue maybe Azerbaijan in 2012 were the last, although maybe Sweden in 2016 also.

Still so many more songs to be revealed, sixteen to go in just seven days including today. I think I'm looking forward to the Russian reveal now more than anything, damn that Skibidi is catchy!

The Georgian song is three minutes of nothing imo, can't see it qualifying at present.

Interesting if true! It's been a while since a country has made a concerted effort to win as host. I'd argue maybe Azerbaijan in 2012 were the last, although maybe Sweden in 2016 also.

Still so many more songs to be revealed, sixteen to go in just seven days including today. I think I'm looking forward to the Russian reveal now more than anything, damn that Skibidi is catchy!

Yeah, only really Aze 2012 and Swe 2016 made big efforts to win on home soil, co-incidentally both were leap years...... saying that, every year since 2015 Sweden have just wanted to get a 7th Win and match our record, wouldn't it be awfully cruel on them if Ireland won this year and opened up a 2 Victory lead again :D We can but dream.

Haha it'd be amazing if we won it again soon, just to stave off the inevitable for another couple of years or so. I don't think Sweden will win this year though. Dotter could be top 5 or 3 if she gets selected, but I don't think they have a winner on their hands.

Israel

Not great tbh.

Switzerland

Well they won't be repeating last year's result, that's for sure, but I actually think this is one of the better ones selected so far?

The Netherlands coming soon, with both Austria and Ireland arriving tomorrow morning. Anyone got any idea the Ireland one is due to air? Would be great if I could hear it on the way to work in the morning. Though my drive is about 12-13 minutes so that'd be very lucky indeed :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Irish entry being played at 8.45 in the morning on 2fm

• Registered Users Posts: 14,782 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I've been a Little Big fan for a while now.

They're absolutely awesome.

They'll absolutely smash Euro vision!

Stevecw wrote: »
    Irish entry being played at 8.45 in the morning on 2fm

Aw shame, I won't be missing it by much. Maybe folks on here can post their first impressions and I can take a snakey look in work. I'm not expecting it to be anywhere near being "up there with Euphoria" as has been promised but I'll be happy if we've sent a genuinely decent song that we can get behind, perhaps a top 5 contender. We're in the much stronger semi final too, and looking at what's already been revealed and given that Sweden and Russia are near certain qualifiers, I reckon there's about two or three spots left to compete for.

The Netherlands

I think it's nice enough and the juries will go for it, but I can't see it making any impact upon televoters. I think The Netherlands went for the auld 'send an ok song that won't embarrass us but won't have a chance of winning' approach :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 wes16586

Ireland's entry is confirmed as Story of My Life by artist Leslie Roy.

Ireland's 'banger' Eurovision entry has been unveiled https://jrnl.ie/5033504

• Registered Users Posts: 32,326 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Disappointed it's not ELM but let's hear the song I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Well that was disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

I liked it very much. It's extremely bubble gum pop but that's no bad thing with regards to Eurovision.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

It feels a little dated. Catchy, but dated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

Katy Perry circa 2012

Advertisement