Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest Rotterdam 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Seamai wrote: »
    "Would Sir like something to suck on?"

God that was really puerile nonsense. And to think the British press have the audacity to complain about their poor results when they send this sort of stuff :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

So catching up on the weekend's selections!

Ukraine: I like it! Weird and quirky, Ukraine rarely send a dud. I think it's like a mix of Bulgaria 2013 and Poland 2019.

Slovenia: If I need to plan a toilet break for SF1, this will be it.

Poland: I don't think the song is all that tbh, but if she brings those vocals to Rotterdam and it's staged well then I wouldn't rule out a Macedonia 2019 result.

gmisk wrote: »
    Listened to a few songs Lithuania is odd but really catchy.
    Listened to Melodifestivalen entries...the dotter song is very strong looks like a clear winner to me

Listened to the 8 finalists tonight. Anna Bergandahl's song is pretty fantastic too, shame one of them has to lose. But they're the clear top two I think anyway. Can't believe Anna's still only 28!

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Amik

Listened to Melodifestivalen entries...the dotter song is very strong looks like a clear winner to me

It's my favourite song in Melodifestivalen. Catchy and the stage performance simple let creative. Official audio released this weekend:

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭LordBasil

Looks like ELM are out of contention to represent Ireland as they have a gig in London on 4th May. Looks like it is either Lesley Roy or (hopefully) FLAVIA, unless there is someone else?

Regarding this weekend's selected entries;

Slovenia: Awful. One less song to worry about for us.

Ukraine: Unique but maybe too Ukrainian for a mass pan-European audience. Could possibly be Ukraine's first non-qualification which would also be good news for us as they are in SF1...

Poland: Dull & Dated, could be Poland's third consecutive non-qualification.

I hope this year picks up soon, we need the internal selections to deliver.

One name being rumoured as the UK entry is Duffy, she of 'Mercy' fame, who back in 2008 was very popular. She is signed to BMG and apparently the act is a female with a 5 letter name, if that is true it puts her as a possibility, others include Mabel (LOL) and Foxes. Not long to wait to find out as entry will be unveiled on Thursday morning on BBC Radio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,327 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Pity the Irish entry isn't ELM they have potential.
    I suppose will know soon enough who is singer and song.

Mabel....absolutely zero chance...she just won a brit.
    I would also be seriously surprised if it was
    Foxes she has some brilliant songs.
    No doubt it will be some nobody or someone seriously past it if it's UK entry...so actually maybe Duffy lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Any chance of the Coronavirus stopping this taking place?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dan man

LordBasil wrote: »
    Looks like ELM are out of contention to represent Ireland as they have a gig in London on 4th May. Looks like it is either Lesley Roy or (hopefully) FLAVIA, unless there is someone else?

I guess it could still be Laoise, which would be a great choice with a catchy upbeat pop song. Plus she dyed her hair peach recently (Philly McMahon posted a pic on Twitter which appeared to be the colour pink... maybe it is peach... okay, yes I'm stretching it, but keeping my hopes up :pac:)

Looking forward to the UK reveal on Thursday. It's somewhat intriguing that it's being revealed simultaneously on BBC Radio 2 *and* 1, a station that almost always snubs Eurovision. Giving people some hope that it may be a genuine effort by the BBC this time. Feel free to quote this post when it's Steps revealed on Thursday :pac:

Dan man wrote: »
    I guess it could still be Laoise, which would be a great choice with a catchy upbeat pop song. Plus she dyed her hair peach recently (Philly McMahon posted a pic on Twitter which appeared to be the colour pink... maybe it is peach... okay, yes I'm stretching it, but keeping my hopes up :pac:)

Interesting theory.

I'd love it to be either LAOISE or FLAVIA but it's likely to be Lesley Roy. I suppose if the song is great and the staging, vocals and performance are strong it doesn't matter who sings it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Looking forward to the UK reveal on Thursday. It's somewhat intriguing that it's being revealed simultaneously on BBC Radio 2 *and* 1, a station that almost always snubs Eurovision. Giving people some hope that it may be a genuine effort by the BBC this time. Feel free to quote this post when it's Steps revealed on Thursday :pac:

Looking forward to hearing Greg James pretending that he's interested.

This is the latest from the UK.

https://twitter.com/bbceurovision/status/1232273124990779392

Looking forward to hearing Greg James pretending that he's interested.

This is the latest from the UK.

https://twitter.com/bbceurovision/status/1232273124990779392

Looks like it's a ballad, pity there is no snippet of the song.

John Newman being heavily rumoured as artist. He posted on Twitter;
    'Huge Week Incoming'
    'Sush, Sush whispers. I'm locked loaded and ready hahaha'.

Exciting, I can't wait til Thursday.

Any chance of the Coronavirus stopping this taking place?

Impossible to say but hopefully not although depending on how it spreads, anything could happen.

It could dissuade visitors to go to Rotterdam in May so it might be mostly locals in the audience.

Looks like it's a ballad, pity there is no snippet of the song.

John Newman being heavily rumoured as artist. He posted on Twitter;
    'Huge Week Incoming'
    'Sush, Sush whispers. I'm locked loaded and ready hahaha'.

Exciting, I can't wait til Thursday.
    I saw that he could be brilliant great voice could go well if right song

Still 27 songs left to be unveiled, and we'll have ten more by the end of the week!

Thursday: UK, Germany
    Friday: Belarus
    Saturday: Estonia, Moldova, Croatia, Iceland
    Sunday: Greece, Serbia, Romania.

It's been widely circulated online that below is apparently the UK entry, if it's true then it's not bad. Not great, but not bad. At the very best, and with good staging, I could see a surprise Cesar Sampson type result. Maybe getting 15th/16th in the televote and 6th in the jury vote and scraping low top ten overall. I do think it's probably a demo though, and what'll be unveiled in a few hours time is the final version. Of course, I do hope it's a different song entirely! Either way, not long until we find out.

https://mobile.twitter.com/HOOVERPHONlC/status/1232717798461313027

James Newman confirmed as UK Entry with 'My Last Breath';

It's decent enough, won't win but could sneak a top 10/15 Result.

4 of the Big 5 sending male soloists with ballads, only Germany left to reveal their act and song tonight.

A great opportunity for non-ballads and almighty bops to prosper this year.....

Waiting for the big reveal..no way it's John Newman

s brother....
    Song is ok doesn't sound like a last place at least

4 of the Big 5 sending male soloists with ballads, only Germany left to reveal their act and song tonight.

Our long promised "bop" is due 6th March still?

The UK song is an improvement on recent attempts but still not great overall. Maybe great staging could improve it but it's difficult to see what they could do with it. I outlined their best case scenario above but I think in reality it likely seems like a bottom right hand side finish again. Surely at some stage in the next few years the whole 'Big 5' thing is gonna need to be reviewed? They're hardly going to withdraw their money from the EBU if they don't get automatic entry to Eurovision now are they?

Anyway, on to Germany later!

• Advertisement

Our long promised "bop" is due 6th March still?

No official confirmation yet but Monday March 9 is the deadline and RTE usually unveil our entries on the Friday before, so 6 March likely.

Where are Go Harvey Go and Welsh Megaman this year, have they posted yet?

I was trying to think of who it reminded me of but I have it now.
    Nano from Melodifestivalen he had a song called chasing rivers...it didn't qualify and it was better than this.

German Entry unveiled, tonight will be first live performance;

German Entry unveiled, tonight will be first live performance;

I'd define that as a bop could be a disaster live though

Just Announced by @RTEOne on Twitter;

Not long now #Eurovision fans! Hear the Irish entry first on @RTE2fm Breakfast with Doireann and Eoghan on March 5th & see the act perform live on @RTELateLateShow the next day

This year’s act will work with creative group @thisispopbaby

#inittowinit

Just Announced by @RTEOne on Twitter;

Not long now #Eurovision fans! Hear the Irish entry first on @RTE2fm Breakfast with Doireann and Eoghan on March 5th & see the act perform live on @RTELateLateShow the next day

This year’s act will work with creative group @thisispopbaby

#inittowinit
    I was hoping for ELM but not looking likely now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dan man

The UK is really going to struggle to break the top 20 with that song. It's just not an inspiring entry and I don't see how they are going to score points in the televote with this.

Thoughts on Germany: I read lots of good feedback before listening to the song itself, must say I'm a little disappointed! It's good but not great, maybe it'll grow on me.

• Advertisement

Intrigued about Ireland's song. As above RTE tweeted that they're "#inittowinit", whilst a 2fm DJ is promising it's a "whopper", although this seemed to be more in comparison to the UK song, which isn't exactly the highest bar to set.

In addition to the previous hype generated by our creative director I'm quietly confident of a somewhat decent song this year. RTE never really hype their own songs do they? Sure we get the token "yes we're confident we've found a good song for Eurovision", followed by the faux shock when we inevitably fail, but it genuinely feels like they're confident they've got something decent this year. Obviously this could could mean f*ck all when we see Shane Filan being wheeled out next Thursday morning :pac: Either way, I'm intrigued.

Advertisement