Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest Rotterdam 2020

Options
  • 16-12-2019 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

Maybe a bit early but what the hell. Let's discuss the 65th Eurovision Song Contest which, following the victory of Duncan Laurence, will be hosted in Rotterdam, The Netherlands on the following dates;

Semi Final 1 - Tuesday 12th May 2020
    Semi Final 2 - Thursday 14th May 2020
    Grand Final - Saturday 16 May 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭LordBasil

So far 5 Countries have revealed their artists but no songs have been unveiled. Here are the artists with a little taster of what kind of music they perform.

Belgium will be represented by the group Hooverphonic;

Spain will be represented by Blas Canto;

Bulgaria will be represented by VICTORIA;

Cyprus will be represented by Sandro Nicolas;

Austria will be represented by Vincent Bueno;

I wonder who RTE will choose after 2019's disaster. The omens could be good for Ireland;

In 1970 & 1980 ESC was hosted in The Netherlands and on both occasions Ireland won!!

Ireland generally does well at the 1st contest of a new decade as along with those 2 victories mentioned above;

We came 2nd in 1990
    6th in 2000, our best result since mass televoting began
    In 2010 despite only finishing 23rd it was the only time since the introduction of the semi finals that a woman qualified for Ireland.

It's the 65th Contest, Ireland debuted in 1965.

So here's hoping we do well. With Switzerland coming 4th in 2019 it means that Ireland is the only Western Country, along with Spain, that still participates not to come Top 5 at least once in the 21st Century.

Come on RTE get your act together.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

A bit early? How about a bit late :pac: We'll have our first entry on Sunday so I was actually going to start the thread this week, gutted I didn't now! Albania will be the first to choose, as tradition now dictates.

I'll go completely mad and predict another Ireland flop in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

OP reminds me of this

-Ted do you mind if I put on my record?
    -No.Go ahead.
    - I've got Eurosong fever, Ted, I love the Eurosong competition, I can't wait.
    - What time is it now Ted?
    - Half past one.
    -And the competition is on in?
    -May.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

If we go with something like what we sent to the junior eurovision, we could do quite well. That had an amazing look, sound, and decent production values behind it with a central theme.

Blas canto for Spain is a really big performer. If he has a decent song he will do very very well.

• Advertisement

Happy New Year!!

We have our first confirmed entry from Albania. The artist is Arilena Ara, the song is called 'Shaj' (Curse) but it will be translated to English for Eurovision;

Hard to tell how it will do, could reach the final but likely will then get forgotten.

Albania should have sent this bop instead;

Upcoming National Selections in January 2020

11th - Nacionaline atranke: Heat 1 (Lithuania)
    11th - Melodi Grand Prix: Semi-final 1(Norway)
    18th - Nacionaline atranke: Heat 2 (Lithuania)
    18th - Melodi Grand Prix: Semi-final 2 (Norway)
    25th - Nacionaline atranke: Heat 3 (Lithuania)
    25th - Melodi Grand Prix: Semi-final 3 (Norway)
    26th - Eurovision Song CZ (Czech Republic)

Only one final in CR but we could get some internal artists/songs revealed. Rumours that Blas Canto (Spain) will release his song on the 26th but not confirmed.

Also rumours that RTE will announce the Irish Entrant but not the song later this month. Would fit in with previous years, bar last year. Nicky Byrne and Ryan O'Shaughnessy were announced in January of their respective years.

The host nation, The Netherlands, have confirmed that they will be represented by Jeangu Macrooy. His song will be unveiled at a later date. Here is a taster of what he's like;

Another artist reveal, France have announced they will be represented by Tom Leeb, with the song released at a later date.

Semi Final Allocation Draw took place today;

Italy, Germany & The Netherlands will vote in this SF.

SF1

1st Half
    North Macedona
    Belarus
    Lithuania
    Sweden
    Slovenia
    Australia
    Ireland
    Russia

2nd Half
    Norway
    Cyprus
    Croatia
    Azerbaijan
    Malta
    Israel
    Ukraine
    Romania
    Belgium

Not looking good for us :(

Ireland is screwed unless we have an amazing song. Ryan O'Shaughnessy qualified from a 'Semi of Death' but he has a decent song, great running order and fantastic staging. With Sweden, Russia, Australia and Ukraine all pretty much guaranteed to qualfy and countries like Belgium and Azerbaijan there too as well as not having the UK voting we need a miracle.

SF2

France, Spain and the UK will vote in this SF.

1st Half
    Austria
    Moldova
    Poland
    San Marino
    Serbia
    Iceland
    Czech Republic
    Greece
    Estonia

2nd Half
    Denmark
    Bulgaria
    Switzerland
    Finland
    Armenia
    Latvia
    Georgia
    Portugal
    Albania

Hard to judge but looks wide open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Yeah SF1 is definitely looking a lot stronger on paper, but I know we've said that in the past and in the end it turns out the opposite can be true. To qualify from the first half we'd obviously need a strong song, which I'm 100% sure RTE will be able to send... :pac:

We're almost into February and still only one song picked! And I haven't even listened to it yet, meant to post it on the thread when it was picked but was just busy with all the usual Christmas stuff. Will give it a listen tonight, although based on the feedback I've heard so far it's not exactly Earth-shattering.

Looking further at our Semi Final Competition;

North Macedonia = Topped the Jury Vote last year so will want to keep momentum but can they do well again or was last year a fluke? They are sending a male singer who could be overshadowed by others.

Belarus = Patchy Qualification Record, has support from Russia, Ukraine & Romania but song will need to be good.

Lithuania = Rely heavily on Diaspora votes, they have us and Norway voting for them but are missing neighbouring Latvia and diaspora heavy UK. Will need a strong entry with widespread appeal and strong jury score to qualify.

Sweden = Jury darlings but their popularity with Televoters has waned. If they send another formulaic pop song by a male singer they could fall short, unlikely to happen so probable qualifiers.

Slovenia = Like Belarus, patchy qualification history. Will depend on song.

Australia = Like Sweden, they are jury darlings but their fortunes on the televote have been somewhat mixed.

Russia = No idea what type of performer or song they will send but they are likely qualifiers.

Norway = Based on what I've seen so far in MGP, can qualify if 'Wild' or 'One Last Time' are selected.

Cyprus = Sandro could be overshadowed, song & performance will have to be good.

Croatia = In similar boat with Slovenia.

Azerbaijan = Only failed to qualify in 2018 so are likely to qualify this year.

Malta = If Destiny wins X Factor Malta and has a strong song they could be contenders for the top prize! Likely Qualifier at least.

Israel = Hard to know really. Will they send a strong entry again so soon after winning?

Ukraine = Still have their 100% Qualification record but lack of big names among Vidbir 2020 line up could spell trouble. Has the broadcasters' shameful treatment of MARUV last year put strong artists off?

Romania = Lost their 100% Qualification record in 2018 and failed to qualify again last year so nothing is certain with them. Like everyone else it will depend on song, performance & staging.

Belgium = Hooverphonic will undoubtably have a strong entry but will need to stage it well or they could end up as another Sennek. That being said, likely qualifier.

It's going to be tough for everyone, all to play for at this stage!

Theatre Production Company ThisIsPopBaby will stage Ireland's Entry

https://wiwibloggs.com/2020/01/29/thisispopbaby-will-stage-irelands-eurovision-2020-entry/248719/

This is really interesting, Ireland's entry will really need to stand out after getting that nightmare draw. Apparently 2FM were blown away when they heard the song and instantly decided to select it. :)

Rumours are that it is a female singer. According to Irish HOD Michael Kealy the entrant will be unveiled in a few weeks.

More news about Ireland, apparently we're being represented by “An artistically on point LGBT act”. Not sure what to make of that, I'm now thinking it's going to be something really silly and twee.

Also, Spain has been revealed

Spain

More news about Ireland, apparently we're being represented by “An artistically on point LGBT act”. Not sure what to make of that, I'm now thinking it's going to be something really silly and twee.

Philly McMahon from ThisIsPopBaby said in a radio interview over the weekend that it is a 'banger' that people will be dancing to for years' to come. A 'Euphoria' moment! Make of that what you will...

Regarding Spain's song, it is decent if a bit underwhelming. Spain have a habit of having good songs but messing up the staging e.g La Venda, Amenacer. I've no doubt he'll be able to sell it live but will it be a song that people will remember to vote for after all 26 finalists have performed?

LordBasil wrote: »
    Philly McMahon from ThisIsPopBaby said in a radio interview over the weekend that it is a 'banger' that people will be dancing to for years' to come. A 'Euphoria' moment! Make of that what you will...

Regarding Spain's song, it is decent if a bit underwhelming. Spain have a habit of having good songs but messing up the staging e.g La Venda, Amenacer. I've no doubt he'll be able to sell it live but will it be a song that people will remember to vote for after all 26 finalists have performed?

Doesn't fill me with confidence tbh, but I hope I'm wrong!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

last time they won

still an earworm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

...it's going to be yer man Panti, isn't it?...:(

Sir Oxman wrote: »

I'm thinking something along those lines, yes.

• Advertisement

Sir Oxman wrote: »

No, the artist is apparently a young up and coming act who is a member of the LGBT Community.

Irish Singer Laoise is being heavily rumoured. Here is a recent sample of her music;

She's a very promising talent if it is her.

No, the artist is apparently a young up and coming act who is a member of the LGBT Community.

Irish Singer Laoise is being heavily rumoured. Here is a recent sample of her music;

She's a very promising talent if it is her.

I'm ignoring all rumours after the Janet Devlin fiasco from last year :pac:

I'm ignoring all rumours after the Janet Devlin fiasco from last year :pac:

Yeah, any rumours need to be taken with a large pinch of salt.

Looking forward to seeing who it actually is and hearing the song.

Reading more about what Philly McMahon says about our entry, whilst I'd be very dubious as to it's anywhere near as good as he's making it out to be, I was impressed by this:
    In the ’90s, we really settled into a groove… we really owned that. And then when the competition went through a massive change, Ireland didn’t really understand what that change was. But here’s my thoughts on the past entries over the past however many years. Nobody goes to Eurovision thinking that they’ve got a bad song.

I think what’s worked against us is that we just don’t have a massive pop industry in the country. And so in terms of talent development… if you look at Swedish or Australian entries, you’re talking about massive record labels behind those, massive development periods, massive songwriting hubs — none of which we have. So, our kind of stock in trade is a ballad. We have succeeded with that in the past and we also haven’t succeeded with that in the past.

At the very least we've got someone on board who understands the reality of our situation and where we've been going wrong. It sounds as if RTE are genuinely making an effort this year, but obviously we still need to hear the song first.

Czech Republic;

Very modern but I don't know how this will fare with the Eurovision audience and it might be difficult to stage although apparently it is going to have a revamp before the contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Semi Final Allocation Draw took place today;

Italy, Germany & The Netherlands will vote in this SF.

SF1

1st Half
    North Macedona
    Belarus
    Lithuania
    Sweden
    Slovenia
    Australia
    Ireland
    Russia

2nd Half
    Norway
    Cyprus
    Croatia
    Azerbaijan
    Malta
    Israel
    Ukraine
    Romania
    Belgium

Not looking good for us :(

Ireland is screwed unless we have an amazing song. Ryan O'Shaughnessy qualified from a 'Semi of Death' but he has a decent song, great running order and fantastic staging. With Sweden, Russia, Australia and Ukraine all pretty much guaranteed to qualfy and countries like Belgium and Azerbaijan there too as well as not having the UK voting we need a miracle.

Hard to judge but looks wide open.

I don't see how we're screwed at all. This neighbourly voting thing is a myth that people persist with and the UK don't give us lots of votes either.

Look at the winners over the last few years, mostly Western and they simply had the best song.

Ireland has done poorly recently due to poor songs and acts, as simple as that.

murpho999 wrote: »
    I don't see how we're screwed at all. This neighbourly voting thing is a myth that people persist with and the UK don't give us lots of votes either.

Look at the winners over the last few years, mostly Western and they simply had the best song.

Well it's not a myth at all, as the many years of geographic voting can attest to. The UK has consistently given us higher points over the years.

I agree with the second part though, we do poorly because of our terrible songs, and the best song generally wins or else finished high up the table.

murpho999 wrote: »

You are right that Ireland does badly because we generally send sub-par songs but in terms of qualification it is proven that some countries have it easier due to neighbours or countries with high numbers of diaspora, voting for them. For example Lithuania always gets 12 Points from Ireland, Norway and the UK televotes due to their diaspora living in those countries or Russia will always pick up points from former 'Eastern Bloc' countries (Belarus, Azerbaijan etc.) regardless of their song's quality. For countries without neighbour voting or diaspora it is harder to do well unless they send strong entries, even qualification can be seen as victory for them.

It is correct to say 'Ireland is screwed unless we have an amazing song' because in such a tough semi final with so many big players (Sweden, Russia, Ukraine etc) an average song won't have a chance of qualifying whereas in a weaker semi final it could just sneak through (see 2010 or 2013).

Saying that, I genuinely believe any country can win/do well if they send strong, popular entries, as Portugal and Israel have recently proved, but average songs from certain countries (Russia, Lithuania etc.) have a stronger chance of qualifying to the final than average songs from other countries (Ireland, Switzerland, Finland etc)

A pretty slow Eurovision season kicks into gear this weekend; Malta, Latvia, Italy and Australia will all be choosing their entries.

Still haven't listened to Spain or Czech Republic, need to get cracking!

• Advertisement

Forgot to actually post my initial thoughts on Albania. Overall it's grand on first listen, would probably sneak into the final with extra jury support and ultimately finish bottom 5. Important to note though that this isn't the finished product, it'll be getting a revamp before May as the Albanian entries usually do.

So just listened to Spain, it's nice enough and there's nothing particularly wrong with it, but I can't see it garnering any significant either jury or televote. Would probably do well to make top 20 in the final.

Czech Republic is fine, might stand out with good staging like they had last year. It just kind of plods along though, there's no big chorus or anything. It's grand, maybe a qualifier in a weaker semi final.

Advertisement