Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest Rotterdam 2020

Options
1151617181921»

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

It's great that they confirmed next year is going ahead, just remains to be seen in what fashion. I imagine for the foreseeable future they'll be planning how to make a remote contest happen, but hopefully it won't have to come to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,215 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Didn't see much of the Shine a Light show tonight but caught the "Love Shine a Light" montage with the artists and thought it was nice, very well put together and really good of them all to participate....except it turns out they didn't quite all participate; I didn't notice at the time but Hooverphonic from Belgium weren't in the clip. Supposedly one of the members of the band said in an interview that he hated the song, so they didn't take part in it (at least that's what's been said on Twitter anyway, don't know if there's a reliable source for it). If that's true then it's a pretty disrespectful move, especially considering Hooverphonic are already confirmed as representing Belgium next year.

Oh that reminds me: in case people don't know, Daði Freyr is playing two nights in Dublin in December (COVID-19 allowing), tickets are only €15. Hopefully he'll have Gagnamagnið with him too!

https://www.ticketmaster.ie/search?aid=5338123&user_input=dadi%20freyr&q=Da%C3%B0i+Freyr&tm_link=tm_header_search
    The Belgium entry (well two older men) came across as a bit up their own arse in the clip after their song.
    I think Graham Norton said they had been through a tonne of lead singers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Are the same songs going to be entered in next year?
    JuanJose wrote: »
    Think the contestant is able to repeat next year but it will have to be with a different song.

why is that :confused: can't understand the reasoning behind it??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,811 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

fryup wrote: »
    why is that :confused: can't understand the reasoning behind it??

Rules dictate the song has to have been released within a certain period of the contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^

but why?? ...........can't they not make an exception for these unforeseen times?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

anewme wrote: »
    Just watched the entire performance of Diodato in Verona Arena.

It's very special, seriously hairs on back of neck stuff.

In my opinion, he'd have walked it.
    Wow, quite lovely :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Looks like, based on the Eurovision Instagram, this year was Jon Ola Sand's last year as Supervisor. What a disappointing way for him to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,140 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Will Lesley Roy be representing Ireland next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭homingbird

They had videos for all the songs ready to go they could have held it . run the 2 semi finals & final it was all about money the country set too hold it didnt want to lose out on the tourist it would bring.

I used http://esc.gerbear.com/sorter2020.htm to rank all 41 songs. My top ten were:

1. Italy
    2. Iceland
    3. Lithuania
    4. Switzerland
    5. Ukraine
    6. Malta
    7. Germany
    8. Australia
    9. Portugal
    10. The Netherlands

To my shame I had the UK ranked one place ahead of Ireland (#20 and #21 respectively). :o

And my bottom five:

37. Romania
    38. France
    39. Poland
    40. Estonia
    41. Georgia

It hasn't been officially confirmed afaik but I'd be very surprised if she wasn't. She seems to have really engaged with the contest and fans, and she's definitely talented enough. I'd be cautiously optimistic that she'll return with a better song than SoML.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Not confirmed yet. As of today ESC have confirmed the following:

AUSTRALIA - Montaigne
    AUSTRIA - Vincent Bueno
    AZERBAIJAN - Efendi
    BELGIUM - Hooverphonic
    BULGARIA - VICTORIA
    CZECH REPUBLIC - Benny Cristo
    GEORGIA - Tornike Kipiani
    GREECE - Stefania
    ISRAEL - Eden Alene
    LATVIA - Samanta Tina
    MALTA - Destiny
    ROMANIA - ROXEN
    SAN MARINO - Senhit
    SLOVENIA - Ana Soklič
    SPAIN - Blas Cantó
    SWITZERLAND - Gjon's Tears
    THE NETHERLANDS - Jeangu Macrooy
    UKRAINE - Go_A

• Registered Users Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Youtube link for that phenomenal Italian performance:

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 kitkatman

please No....she cannot sing live... a studio artist.

fancy that either Lithuania or Iceland may have won if the event had been staged, though the potential mover was Albania as that girl has the vocals Roy lacks and could have pulled out a very big live performance.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I used http://esc.gerbear.com/sorter2020.htm to rank all 41 songs. My top ten were:

1. Italy
    2. Iceland
    3. Lithuania
    4. Switzerland
    5. Ukraine
    6. Malta
    7. Germany
    8. Australia
    9. Portugal
    10. The Netherlands

To my shame I had the UK ranked one place ahead of Ireland (#20 and #21 respectively). :o

And my bottom five:

37. Romania
    38. France
    39. Poland
    40. Estonia
    41. Georgia

My top 10 was almost exactly the same as what I posted a couple of nights ago, except Norway took Ireland's place.

1. Denmark
    2. Russia
    3. Finland
    4. Lithuania
    5. Iceland
    6. Malta
    7. Sweden
    8. Bulgaria
    9. Switzerland
    10. Norway

We both had Georgia ranked dead last :pac:

37. Portugal
    38. Armenia
    39. Moldova
    40. Belgium
    41. Georgia

Bit of Eurovision trivia. 24 years today since our last win.
    https://twitter.com/Eurovoix/status/1262288583123238912

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭clo1

Did anyone see the new dates for next years Eurovision?
    18 to 22 May
    Flights are booked and currently looking at accommodation. Would anyone think it’s a good idea to book accommodation in Amsterdam rather the Rotterdam as hotels would be much cheaper and trains are pretty good I think!

Advice please

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

clo1 wrote: »
    Did anyone see the new dates for next years Eurovision?
    18 to 22 May
    Flights are booked and currently looking at accommodation. Would anyone think it’s a good idea to book accommodation in Amsterdam rather the Rotterdam as hotels would be much cheaper and trains are pretty good I think!

Advice please
    Pro tip: stay in The Hague. It’s a business town and it’s hotels tend to have lower occupancy on the weekends. Between Rotterdam and Amsterdam. 20 mins to Rotterdam.

Rotterdam has very little to see as it was flattened during the war. Delft well worth a visit

Hotel booked Tue to Sun in Rotterdam. Flights to Amsterdam are very cheap on Ryanair at moment. Need to book before they shoot up in price. Are there any direct flights to Rotterdam.
    What do people do to get Eurovision tickets? It might be difficult next year as this year's tickets are valid for next year.

Hotel booked Tue to Sun in Rotterdam. Flights to Amsterdam are very cheap on Ryanair at moment. Need to book before they shoot up in price. Are there any direct flights to Rotterdam.
    What do people do to get Eurovision tickets? It might be difficult next year as this year's tickets are valid for next year.

Yes also booked flights just for the weekend of it and for accommodation in Rotterdam 15 mins from the ahoy. Not much accommodation left in Rotterdam that isn’t extortionate! Got flights on ryanair for 230 or so not too bad but they were more expensive than this years flights!

clo1 wrote: »
    Yes also booked flights just for the weekend of it and for accommodation in Rotterdam 15 mins from the ahoy. Not much accommodation left in Rotterdam that isn’t extortionate! Got flights on ryanair for 230 or so not too bad but they were more expensive than this years flights!

How do you get informed of the dates the tickets go on sale for the event? I want to attend both Semi's and the Final.

How do you get informed of the dates the tickets go on sale for the event? I want to attend both Semi's and the Final.

It’s a lottery so it’s a slim chance you will get a ticket but you might get a resale ticket if you don’t mind paying a small fortune. Download the app ticketswap for resale Eurovision tickets. You might get lucky!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72,140 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Out today :)

volcano-man-netflix-eurovision.jpg?quality=80&strip=all

Out today :)

volcano-man-netflix-eurovision.jpg?quality=80&strip=all

Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,215 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Where?
    Netflix

I have the soundtrack on Deezer....there are a couple of decent songs ...some of them though are appalling lol..did Dan Stevens sing the lion of love song...I wonder

Surprised volcano man isnt a full song :(

The movie is a million times better than the celebration show anyway!

I dont know if it's just the wine talking but does anyone else who watched the movie think it would have been a quality eurovision year?!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I enjoyed the Fire Saga film, had to bite my tongue at certain points (that's not how the semi final voting is announced, why are the presenters clearly not from the UK if the contest in Edinburgh etc) but there was a lot to like

The songs were quality, Iceland and Russia will be under pressure to emulate those songs next year!

Double trouble sounded very like an actual Eurovision song! Maybe something that Moldova would send and finish 22nd overall.

Masquerade and Running With the wolves were bangers too. The latter was only about a minute long though

For anyone else like me who didn't know, the thread for 2021 is already up and running.

Advertisement