Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest Rotterdam 2020

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Caught the Italian tune - excellent.

IMO, from what I've heard so far Iceland should walk this.
    That's a song & performance that was written to win, everything from the ganky green jumpsuits to the whole geeky nerdy 'instruments', to the 8bit emojis, to the totally nod-to-embarrassing-eurovision-dance moves, the lead singer pressing a button on his ghostbusters boilersuit to effect a crap wind machine down to their facial expressions.
    This has been crafted to win big not just participate, every single move and expression is a part of the whole.
    It hits all the points with an audience of this thing* and underlying it a crazily infectious tune, great bassline, synths, funk and an actual very good tune with lyrics that aren't incomprehensibly stupid (Lithuania, I'm looking at you but not just you) and a lead singer that can sing/songwrite/direct exactly how they want to do this.

*Juries are another thing entirely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Our song is just nothing, it won't qualify and you can bank that. Why do RTE bother anymore? They see the standard, the production etc needed to win, but fact remains since the early nineties, a generation ago, we've entered songs from mediocre to dire, with one or two exceptions that tried to rise above the dross. The main point is, why do we not have a national song contest anymore? Let songwriters enter their songs, let a competent mixed tastes jury whittle them down to ten songs and have a show with mixed television and jury voting. Surely we can produce something that could bring it back to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Our song is just nothing, it won't qualify and you can bank that.

The audience reaction to on TLLS makes me think otherwise, though I agree with you, I think the entry may surprise or just do as badly as I think.

The National Song Contest should Return for a few years, how long as the current selection process being going? You’re a Star was dropped after 4/5 years before being dropped? I think Dustin’s entry was the last national song contest winner?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Sweden

The Mamas are very nice and uplifting and everything, but there's three other people I'd've placed ahead of them. Whatever Sweden sent I don't think they had a winner this year, but Dotter would've been top 5 or 3 I think. This is catchy and pleasant to watch but nothing would make me want to vote for it. Now we all know the juries will probably place them top three regardless, just remains to be seen what their televote will be like.

Finland

I actually think this is ok, and in a less ballad-heavy year would do alright. It's unfortunate he seems to be getting abuse from some of the more demented factions of the Eurovision fanbase. Having heard a lot about the superior song he allegedly beat I decided to check out Erika's performance... and was met with that :eek: Re-enacting Katie Price's failed attempt to represent the UK over a 1990's disco beat is not a good look, and Aksel was the correct winner. He could do with a style makeover and losing the awful moustache though.

Portugal

"Tbh we're still a bit hard up after hosting in Lisbon a couple of years back, think we should send something that hasn't a prayer?"

"Will this do?"

"Perfect!"

Denmark is great, liking it a lot. Can see both juries and televoters getting behind it and a top ten place in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 wes16586

Has anyone any idea when Russia are announcing their song? I think it's the only country who haven't announced the song yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭LordBasil

wes16586 wrote: »
    Has anyone any idea when Russia are announcing their song? I think it's the only country who haven't announced the song yet.

On Friday apparently. It will debut on Russian Radio.

San Marino's song will be unveiled today. Malta and Azerbaijan are also yet to release their songs, but should do sometime this week.

I'm seriously worried the contest could be in jeopardy due to COVID-19, depending how the situation progresses I think the following options are on the table;

1. Hosted in Rotterdam as planned.

2. Hosted in Rotterdam but with no audience (like DMGP) - this would be a total buzzkill especially for uptempo tracks, including Ireland, which need an audience to work off.

3. Not hosted in Rotterdam, each country records/performs in a venue/studio in their own country - they proposed something like this in 2017 for Russia when their artist was banned from entering Ukraine.

4. Postponed to later in the year when hopefully COVID-19 will be under control - I don't know how that would work with Venue booking, artist schedules etc.

5. Cancelled altogether, no ESC in 2020 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 34 wes16586

I'm really hoping it does go ahead. I'm flying over there on the 15th and the accomodation wasn't cheap!

San Marino;

It's not great but could qualify from SF2.

North Macedonia;

It's fine I guess, might be difficult for it to qualify from SF1.

Thoughts on other entries picked this weekend;

Sweden - Really Sweden? Bulletproof wouldn't have won ESC but at least it would have stood out more and probably went Top 5.

Finland - I loved Cicciolina but the live vocals were not strong enough, Aksel seems really nervous and could get swallowed up by the competition.

Portugal - ZZZZZZZ

Denmark - Sad DMGP took place in an empty stadium, quite surreal. OK Song but need more interaction between the 2 singers to really connect.

Heard Bulgaria - i think it's the best ballad by a head from Italy.
    If it's a ballad win, Bulgaria is it.

Also just heard Malta - that's a contender.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFCn_8oViRw&feature=youtu.be

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Heard Bulgaria - i think it's the best ballad by a head from Italy.
    If it's a ballad win, Bulgaria is it.

Also just heard Malta - that's a contender.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFCn_8oViRw&feature=youtu.be

Bulgaria is the current new favourite to win!

• Advertisement

Bulgaria is the current new favourite to win!
    It's fantastic, if they stage it like the video it'll be amazing.
    The only weakness I think they should change/add something to the middle third, maybe on stage to make it less samey before the big keychange.

Oh and I'll take some criticism back of Ireland's tune:pac:
    It is a total earworm - though I still think it is awful gack but that might lift it into the final along with the promised staging

LordBasil wrote: »
    On Friday apparently. It will debut on Russian Radio.

San Marino's song will be unveiled today. Malta and Azerbaijan are also yet to release their songs, but should do sometime this week.

I'm seriously worried the contest could be in jeopardy due to COVID-19, depending how the situation progresses I think the following options are on the table;

1. Hosted in Rotterdam as planned.

2. Hosted in Rotterdam but with no audience (like DMGP) - this would be a total buzzkill especially for uptempo tracks, including Ireland, which need an audience to work off.

3. Not hosted in Rotterdam, each country records/performs in a venue/studio in their own country - they proposed something like this in 2017 for Russia when their artist was banned from entering Ukraine.

4. Postponed to later in the year when hopefully COVID-19 will be under control - I don't know how that would work with Venue booking, artist schedules etc.

5. Cancelled altogether, no ESC in 2020 :(

Personally I think it'll be a mix of these two options, the artists who decide they'll chance going to Rotterdam do so with as small a delegation as possible and with no live audience, and the ones that don't allowed to perform live from a studio in their home country. Two months seems like a long time in the context of the coronavirus but I really can't see how a normal Eurovision will proceed this year. Of course we can't also rule out that some countries will withdraw altogether, or some performers/delegations may even get sick themselves. It's a really weird, unprecedented and worrying situation.

Azerbaijan;

An ethnic bop, achieves what Greece and Armenia are trying to do much more effectively. One to watch

Albanian Revamp;

Basically a different song - lost a bit of power.

Malta;

A contender, no doubt she'll lift it live and it blows Sweden out of the water :)

And finally we have the long awaited Little Big reveal

Russia

Fun, but not as catchy as their best stuff.

Now just remains to be seen in what form Eurovision will happen, if at all. The mayor of Rotterdam wants a decision by April 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I'd say it's likely to be cancelled due to the Coronavirus, the Netherlands have not been very pro-active in relation to the virus and have given some miss-information.

There were rumours last night from an unverified source saying that talks were in progress to postpone this year's competition to either June or September.

However, more prominent rumours doing the rounds tonight saying that it'll apparently be officially cancelled tomorrow, with Rotterdam back as host in 2021 with a new set of songs.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,118 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

There were rumours last night from an unverified source saying that talks were in progress to postpone this year's competition to either June or September.

However, more prominent rumours doing the rounds tonight saying that it'll apparently be officially cancelled tomorrow, with Rotterdam back as host in 2021 with a new set of songs.

:(

They should just let the chosen songs go forward next year if they're happy to.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 85,732 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Can they do in without an audience, just show a video of each country's song? Online voting?

They should just let the chosen songs go forward next year if they're happy to.

Doubt anyone would want that, all the songs will have lost any momentum they've gained. The Icelandic song for example has already had quite a bit of airplay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭jrmb

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Can they do in without an audience, just show a video of each country's song? Online voting?
    Each broadcaster could host the performance of its own song in its own studios. They could record the performances a little earlier in the evening and upload them.

It would resemble the 2010 interval act, which I thought went quite well.

There might be more allegations of irregularities and cheating though, unless the EBU could somehow send an official to each venue.

The EBU has just announced that this year's contest is cancelled.

Surreal really. There'll now forever be a Eurovision win that never was.

Surreal really. There'll now forever be a Eurovision win that never was.

They're already talking about the possibility of Rotterdam 2021. It'll be interesting to see how they handle this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Just as well we didn't have a song that we genuinely felt would compete for the win. I suppose anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

jrmb wrote: »
    The EBU has just announced that this year's contest is cancelled.

giphy.gif

A real shame but I guess it was sadly inevitable.

I haven't listened to any of the entries yet, was waiting for the live shows. Guess I might as well tune into the playlist this evening.

I had been following the odds though, looks like quite a few countries who have never won before had a realistic shot of getting a first victory this year - I knew there was hype around Iceland and Lithuania in particular, with Bulgaria, Romania and Malta also apparently in the running. Seems especially unfair on those countries. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,327 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Sad news.
    But do we get to pick a new song for next year?....I wouldn't mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,327 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

A real shame but I guess it was sadly inevitable.

I haven't listened to any of the entries yet, was waiting for the live shows. Guess I might as well tune into the playlist this evening.

I had been following the odds though, looks like quite a few countries who have never won before had a realistic shot of getting a first victory this year - I knew there was hype around Iceland and Lithuania in particular, with Bulgaria, Romania and Malta also apparently in the running. Seems especially unfair on those countries. :(
    The Russia song is quite high up too...it is like aqua on speed .. horrendous but undeniably catchy

• Advertisement

Russia have already won though (albeit only once), I just like to see a country that has never won be in the mix.

Advertisement