Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

92nd Academy Awards (Oscars 2020)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PressRun

Laura Dern essentially played the same role in Marriage Story that she played in Big Little Lies. An almost identical character.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,065 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

El Duda wrote: »
    Willem Dafoe's performance in The Lighthouse makes Phoenix's Joker look like Pippi Longstocking

It was a great performance from Dafoe, but at the same time, it's a big brash bombastic fun one, and they tend not to get the same credit since they're a bit disassociated from reality. Phoenix's having that manic intensity whilst also being grounded with realism and vulnerability is what made it stand out.

They wouldn't have been up against each other anyway though, Dafoe would've been up for best supporting actor if nominated. Think he most deserved one as best supporting actor in "Florida" a few years ago. Was phenomenal in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,374 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I can’t bring myself to watch Phoenix’s speech after reading the transcript. Painful.

I noticed no music played after 45 seconds for Joaquin and did he even thank anyone from the film

Keanu Reeves is so hot, does he even age

• Registered Users Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Brad Pitt is one of the most overrated actors of all time. Who agrees?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Margate

AllForIt wrote: »

If anything he's been underrated due to his looks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Margate wrote: »
    If anything he's been underrated due to his looks

That's an interesting take.

Guess someone finally told Billie who the Beatles were.

I thought it was gonna be sort of cringe the way it started, but her version of Yesterday was actually very good, just slightly too quiet esp at the beginning.

They stuck Kobe in the In Memoriams, he's had some unforgettable performances no doubt but they were on the hardwood not the big screen AFAIK.

Did Billie not sing her Bond theme, debut it?

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭al87987

I watched Joker yesterday and thought it was fantastic, the best film I have watched this year. Pheonix was phenomenal.
    Now I have not yet seen Parasite and I am happy that a foreign language film has won big finally.
    My favourite foreign language films of recent years are Let the right one in, Oldboy, Pans Labyrinth, Biutiful, amores perros, all about my mother, crouching tiger hidden dragon. Is Parasite better than all of these??

Seen all of the above except all about my mother.
    There all good/great movies and it sounds like Parasite is in your wheel house.

I watched it again last night after it won, rewards multiple viewings and a worthy winner

• Registered Users Posts: 17,713 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

These award winning lectures from these multi millionaires is painful listening.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Glad I'm not the only one who thought Joker was overrated. I think it's a nice little mess of a film with a standout performance from Phoenix.

But... yeah. It's nowhere as deep as some people are making it out, in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭MfMan

AllForIt wrote: »

Yep, I'm in. Bringing LDC in here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

It might go pearshaped yet..... what about all those cinemagoers who can't read... Not very "inclusive"

Twitter is torn - a foreign film and the illiterate...

Unfortunately this is the way the world's going and the Hollywood elite are the main cheerleaders of this "diversity" crap

Yes so according to their logic they shouldn't award Oscars to the best film of the year because illiterate people can't read them.

Should they stop giving writers awards for their books too?

Also, do they realise that the vast majority of the world doesn't speak English so giving awards to foreign films so they're excluded from most films?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,161 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

My hot take is overrated is the most overrated word in film discussion :pac:

I think it relies too much on criticising other people’s opinion of something / someone rather than actually making an argument about why something is mediocre or ineffective. I know it’s a small thing, but always better IMO to make your case rather than pre-emptively dismiss others :)

Also, and this is the most important thing: Pitt was pretty great in OUATIH.

That speech from Phoenix was absolutely terrible. What was he on about.

Ricky Gervais got it right at the globes. Pick up your award, thank people and f%%k off.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

My hot take is overrated is the most overrated word in film discussion :pac:

Right, ok. It's not ideal.

So Marty Scorsese gets standing ovation during Bong Parasite win

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Not sure if I missed it already but don't think I've seen a list of the winners posted yet

The article includes the nominees as well as the winners.

Oscars 2020 winners: The complete list of results
    https://www.cnet.com/news/oscars-2020-winners-the-full-list-of-results/
    Best picture
    Parasite

Best actress
    Renée Zellweger, Judy

Best actor
    Joaquin Phoenix, Joker

Best director
    Bong Joon-ho, Parasite

Music (original song)
    "(I'm Gonna) Love Me Again" from Rocketman

Music (original score)
    Joker (Slydice adding Composer name: Hildur Ingveldardóttir Guðnadóttir)

International feature film
    South Korea, Parasite

Makeup and hairstyling
    Bombshell

Visual effects

Best film editing
    Ford v Ferrari

Best cinematography
    Roger Deakins, 1917

Best sound mixing

Best sound editing
    Ford v Ferrari

Best supporting actress
    Laura Dern, Marriage Story

Documentary short feature
    Learning to Skateboard in a Warzone (If You're a Girl)

Documentary feature
    American Factory

Best costume design
    Jacqueline Durran, Little Women

Best production design
    Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood

Live-action short film
    The Neighbors' Window

Best adapted screenplay
    Taika Waititi, Jojo Rabbit

Best original screenplay
    Bong Joon-ho, Parasite

Animated short film
    Hair Love

Animated feature film
    Toy Story 4

Best supporting actor
    Brad Pitt, Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

remember how Joaquin Phoenix used to call himself Leaf

remember how Joaquin Phoenix used to call himself Leaf

His Parenthood days :p I wonder did he mix with Keanu during the show

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

i think looking back its one of the better years for movies , i loved once upon a time in Hollywood, joker & parasite
    on the speeches thing , i love Ricky Gervais but he preaches all the time on his twitter all the time and rightly so but he has a problem with a few actors doing it , maybe twitter is ok

https://twitter.com/rickygervais/status/1162011297925517314?s=20

• Advertisement

peteeeed wrote: »
    i think looking back its one of the better years for movies , i loved once upon a time in Hollywood, joker & parasite
    on the speeches thing , i love Ricky Gervais but he preaches all the time on his twitter all the time and rightly so but he has a problem with a few actors doing it , maybe twitter is ok

It's his own Twitter account and he's entitled to put what he wants and people don't have to read it and they can follow or block him.

Very different to an actor receiving an award for acting. They do not have a mandate from people to tell us what to do.

Just accept the award for their performance, be grateful and graceful and leave the politics to the politicians.

murpho999 wrote: »
    It's his own Twitter account and he's entitled to put what he wants and people don't have to read it and they can follow or block him.

Very different to an actor receiving an award for acting. They do not have a mandate from people to tell us what to do.

Just accept the award for their performance, be grateful and graceful and leave the politics to the politicians.

i get that but if its a cause they believe in , this is a huge platform , I've got no problem with it .
    if people don't want to listen they can turn over or not watch awards shows at all , ever since there have been awards , this has gone on
    if everyone thanks their agent and gets off its going to be one boring show

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭brevity

Why?

I mean politics involve everyone. You might think they are removed because of their wealth and fame but I don’t see why they cannot voice their opinions.

brevity wrote: »
    Why?

I mean politics involve everyone. You might think they are removed because of their wealth and fame but I don’t see why they cannot voice their opinions.

Do you see footballers making political speeches when they accept trophies or awards for players of the year?

Why do actors think they have a voice to represent people. I'm all for free speech but don't appoint yourself as representative for the voiceless and think that the voiceless are concerned about the milk in their coffee.

It all comes across as pompous and self important to me.

Do you see footballers making political speeches when they accept trophies or awards for players of the year?

Why do actors think they have a voice to represent people. I'm all for free speech but don't appoint yourself as representative for the voiceless and think that the voiceless are concerned about the milk in their coffee.

i'd love footballers to make political speeches ,footballers tend to promote things for lost of money and talk in the present tense when describing a goal they've scored in the past , the actors are speaking for themselves , you have opinions of things , post them here , some actors don't use boards or any social media so are handed an award , told to give a speech for that award , might have something they then want to say , free speech

• Registered Users Posts: 17,713 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Next we'll have all ireland winning captains in hogan stand telling us about hospital waiting lists!!

Seriously though most of those receiving awards never worked a normal job in there lives. They're mostly millionaires living in cloud cuckoo land. Thankfully as soon as their pontificating started I quickly switched it off. The Oscars grow more irrelevant each year.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

How do people get so worked up about this every year? They make a speech, so what? Some people seem to be personally offended by this. You should really not take it that seriously.

Of course actors are going to be more talkative than footballers when accepting awards. And as for the GAA captains: their speeches are so boring, that they could do with a bit of anything to liven them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PressRun

Don't see why anyone cares. It's not like you're being forced at gunpoint to do anything a celebrity says during an awards acceptance speech. You're not even being forced to watch said acceptance speech. But of course people will watch them just so they can then complain about them.

He didn't say anything remotely controversial. People just love getting worked up and offended about trivial things and then accuse everyone else of being easily offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Delighted for Joaquin Phoenix :)

Great speech to :)

• Advertisement

PressRun wrote: »
    Don't see why anyone cares. It's not like you're being forced at gunpoint to do anything a celebrity says during an awards acceptance speech. You're not even being forced to watch said acceptance speech. But of course people will watch them just so they can then complain about them.

He didn't say anything remotely controversial. People just love getting worked up and offended about trivial things and then accuse everyone else of being easily offended.

100%

Advertisement