Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

92nd Academy Awards (Oscars 2020)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Joaquin with a super cringe rant about people putting milk in their coffee and gets a standing ovation for mentioning River at the end ffs

Something about Rami Malek he looks like the type of guy who would stalk women, and he presents Best Actress lol

• Registered Users Posts: 31,214 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

al87987 wrote: »
    Best director usually leads to best picture.

Am i right in saying that 9 of the last 10 years best picture has also been won by best director? Ben affleck not nominated for Argo i think was the exception

Parasite was the best movie I've seen all year by a good bit, hope it wins

Yeah, really was head and shoulders the best film of the year. Hope it can cross the language barrier and take the big'un.

Joaquin with a super cringe rant about people putting milk in their coffee and gets a standing ovation for mentioning River at the end ffs

Something about Rami Malek he looks like the type of guy who would stalk women, and he presents Best Actress lol

:pac: :pac: Excellent

Don't forget your plastic surgeon Renee :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Renee waffling on 😴😴

• Advertisement

A foreign film... Ffs

Delighted Parasite won, nice to see genuine talent rewarded... was really afraid the language barrier would stop it winning the big one. It stood apart from the others though, every aspect of it pretty much perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

A foreign film... Ffs

Yes. But definitely the best picture of the lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭al87987

Absolutely delighted with the Parasite win.

I think if not for it being in a foreign language it would have won some of the acting categories also.

Great movie year also when comparing it with recent years

It might go pearshaped yet..... what about all those cinemagoers who can't read... Not very "inclusive"

Twitter is torn - a foreign film and the illiterate...

Unfortunately this is the way the world's going and the Hollywood elite are the main cheerleaders of this "diversity" crap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

It might go pearshaped yet..... what about all those cinemagoers who can't read... Not very "inclusive"

Unfortunately this is the way the world's going and the Hollywood elite are the main cheerleaders of this "diversity" crap

Hollywood at times is absurdly woke, but Parasiste is a very entertaining and accessible movie for the masses.

A great win after the last 2 crap winners.

Really happy it won. Saw it last summer with zero hype in the cinema because girlfriend heard it was good from a friend. I knew nothing walking in and was blown away by it. Have rewarded it twice since and will do another soon I guess.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,200 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

What an absolutely wonderful bit of news to wake up to. Parasite was the best film of the lot, and if any film is going to shatter through the weird foreign language barrier the Academy had imposed over its history I’m glad it is this one. Bong Joon Ho has done an immense job in making world cinema widely accessible again. Here’s to Parasite: a magnificent film that’s just made history.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

The Joker only the second character in history to win twice? Have to take a step back and respect how much of an achievement that is.

Delighted Hildur Guðnadóttir won as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭MfMan

Quite pleased about how it went. Haven't seen either 1917 or Parasite yet, but don't really like Mendes' films, find them over-careful and over-crafted to the point where there's little spontaneity or humanity left. Only downside of the night was Pott's supporting win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Would what be so terrible? I think you missed my point and not sure what yours is. There isnt a single host this year they are using multiple presenters. But usually ones that are pretty accomplished, she stuck out to me as being a lot less so.

What I'm saying is that the push for diversity isn't really needed, there are plenty of POC getting recognition in film and the arts, what they are doing tonight just feels like tokenism, they're overdoing it so much it feels forced. The funny part is they tried to bring in a black man last year only to find out he was homophobic.

Well, see, that’s your own bias at play. I don’t see how she isn’t accomplished unless you think it has to be strictly actors or, apparently, A list. And wtf is the Kevin Hart reference for? A lot of horrible stuff has been exposed in Hollywood in the last few years. Statistically some portion of it will be involving black people.

Another with a bee in his bonnet about diversity. Christ. I’ve not seen Parasite but it seems a popular choice here. Could it just be... good?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭brevity

I’m delighted Parasitic won. It’s an excellent movie. Disappointed that some people can’t look past the fact that it’s in a foreign language. I thought the days of “if I wanted to read, I’d buy a book” were behind us but apparently not.

Also happy that Brad Pitt won, his speech was really nice too. You could see that it meant a lot to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭El Duda

Imagine thinking that Parasite winning in both categories is anything but great news.

Well done Bong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I can’t bring myself to watch Phoenix’s speech after reading the transcript. Painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I watched Joker yesterday and thought it was fantastic, the best film I have watched this year. Pheonix was phenomenal.
    Now I have not yet seen Parasite and I am happy that a foreign language film has won big finally.
    My favourite foreign language films of recent years are Let the right one in, Oldboy, Pans Labyrinth, Biutiful, amores perros, all about my mother, crouching tiger hidden dragon. Is Parasite better than all of these??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

The Joker only the second character in history to win twice? Have to take a step back and respect how much of an achievement that is.

Delighted Hildur Gur won as well.

I really don't want to google it but i'm struggling to think of the other character to win twice.....I'll get there

• Registered Users Posts: 85,535 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

ziedth wrote: »
    I really don't want to google it but i'm struggling to think of the other character to win twice.....I'll get there

Did De Niro and Brando win for the same Godfather character

• Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Did De Niro and Brando win for the same Godfather character

That's correct - Vito Corleone has garnered more than one Oscar.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

where can one watch this ? the whole thing and not a cut down? https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/listings/television/#!ky4szj

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Phoenix was a shoo-in anyway. I think if he hadn't been nominated Adam Driver would have had a good chance of winning - his performance in Marriage Story was fantastic.

I like Laura Dern as an actress but don't think she deserved that award.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭El Duda

Willem Dafoe's performance in The Lighthouse makes Phoenix's Joker look like Pippi Longstocking

eminem why?

rene rambled a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭seenitall

I find it funny how the two suporting performance winners have only two degrees of separation between them.

Once upon a time in Hollywood... before Angie stole Brad off Jen, she stole Billy Bob off Laura (however Laura and Billy Bob never had a Marriage Story, it was engagement).

I wonder how Laura and Brad celebrated their wins together :)

• Advertisement

Phoenix was a shoo-in anyway. I think if he hadn't been nominated Adam Driver would have had a good chance of winning - his performance in Marriage Story was fantastic.

I like Laura Dern as an actress but don't think she deserved that award.

Yeah, this was about the only one I wasn't really on board with... really like her as an actress, and she did a great job with that character, but at the same time it didn't exactly feel like much of a challenge for her... it's not a character that had a lot of complexity or emotional range that needed to be expressed. She did exactly what was required for the role, but the role itself didn't feel meaty enough to win.

Advertisement