Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

92nd Academy Awards (Oscars 2020)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Joker to be fair was well liked by critics and audiences so for something as mainstream as the oscars, it doesn't seem out of place whatsoever.

The critic reviews for Joker have been very mixed!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

santana75 wrote: »
    Taron Egerton didnt get the nod........Elton wont be happy about that.

I lasted about 15 mins into that film. Painful. When the stoic Da started singing, I knew that was it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

The Elton John movie maybe suffered because of the success of Bohemian Rhapsody last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Well done Saoirse!

4th nomination, youngest ever to have that many nominations

• Registered Users Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I feel like Saoirse Ronan is destined to become another Amy Adams with regards to the Oscars. Both top actresses who the Academy loves but who somehow never manage to be in the buzziest film of the nominations.

She will eventually win for a combination of all her previous nominations/losses. Similar to what happened with DiCaprio.
    I don’t think she has been close to win in any of the 3 best actress nominations, but she was pretty close for supporting for Atonement. She is a wonderful actress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

ricero wrote: »
    No Sandler is a farce. Pure snobbery.

Looking forward to this film on Netflix in a couple of weeks. I didn’t really like their last film that had Robert Pattison in it, can’t remember the name. But this one looks much better, and Sandler is reported to be superb in it with non stop dialogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Having seen Marriage Story, I thought Florence Pugh's performance was far better that Laura Dern in the Best Supporting Actress category.

I can't imagine that there'll be any surprise wins in the Best actor/actress/film categories.
    Most likely it will be similar to the Golden Globes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

She will eventually win for a combination of all her previous nominations/losses. Similar to what happened with DiCaprio.
    I don’t think she has been close to win in any of the 3 best actress nominations, but she was pretty close for supporting for Atonement. She is a wonderful actress.

In fairness, she's doing pretty well for a 25 year old. I think she'll have to wait a few years yet becasue of where she is in her career. She's very good, but she does get cast in roles that are enough for a nomination, but aren't showy enough for the actual Oscar. Aside from Atonement, there's a bit of a pattern to her nominated roles: young women who are sturdy and capable, but also have vulnerability. I'm not saying she isn't good, she is, but I reckon she might continue in that vein for a few more years, before she has to undergo some gruelling transformation on screen or plays someone with a recognisable tragic life story - and then she'll probably get the Oscar.

I guess Gerwig getting the snub for Best Director is the big shock. I think she can feel aggrevied. I'd say she's strong strong favourite for Adapted Screenplay, even if that's a bit of lame compensation. I thought Chris Cooper had an outside chance for Supporting Actor, but he was never going to be nominated over all those heavyweights in that category.

Thought there might have been a bit more love for Knives Out. Just the one nomination. It's been a big hit and critics loved it too.

Uncut Gems recieves zero nominations and Ford vs Ferrari gets four? Ford vs fcking Ferrari? I mean it was grand and all, but, what?

Anyway this is where it starts to get entertaining. Every year the momentum changes in the month before the awards. What's the favourite at the moment? I know Joker got the most nominations, but, I can't see them giving it Best Picture. I honestly think Little Women has a chance. The whole Gerwig being snubbed thing could gain it traction and I wouldn't be surprised if it does the film no harm gathering votes.

Yeah, Saoirse is a very understated sort of actress, to be fair. She does nuance very well.
    Unfortunately the Oscars tend to prefer showy and over the top performances that require some sort of physical transformation along the way.

People are saying it’s a travesty. I haven’t seen Hustlers. Wuz she robbed?

It was a good performance from her and she was nominated in all other awards so she was a big snub

• Advertisement

Frozen II frozen out for best animated feature is a surprise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Why is the media complaining about no female directors on the list. Did they expect Greta Gerwig to get nominated over Scorcese or Tarantino. Do they want a new Best Female Director category.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Ever since the Paddington 2 snub, I find it hard to care about awards any more.

vriesmays wrote: »
    Why is the media complaining about no female directors on the list. Did they expect Greta Gerwig to get nominated over Scorcese or Tarantino. Do they want a new Best Female Director category.

I think I would have put her in instead of Todd Phillips.
    Phillips in the same category as Scorcese when Joker is quite derivative of Scorcese's work is a bit of a laugh though.

How many times has Little Women been made into a movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Because of political correctness gone mad.

I'd say around 5 including tv films

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Why? Its story was Disney straight-to-DVD sequel quality sh*te and the music was all forgettable rubbish. Even my fiance, who loves Frozen 1, hated it.

I haven't seen "I lost my Body" yet (it's been added to my Netlfix queue), but out of the animation nominations I think Klaus deserves it the most. I just found it to be a surprisingly good movie with a really nice animations style and story. I would be happy too if Missing Link won, despite finding it to be Laika's weakest solo film, it's animation is still really gorgeous and I think Laika are long overdue an oscar.

How to Train Your Dragon 3 was decent enough, I have no problems with it but didn't find it to be anything special and Toy Story 4 had some nice bits but really felt like a 40 minute special dragged out into a full movie (most of the recurring characters completely side tracked, I didn't find the antagonist resolution to be very satisfying etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Don't know what "THE MEDIA" (booo hiisss) is complaining about, but I would like to have seen Gerwig in place of either Todd Philips or Martin Scorese. I've not seen Parasite or 1917 yet.

Nothing to do with gender, I just thought Little Women was masterfully orchestrated from start to finish – whereas Joker and The Irishman, while decent, just weren't as finely tuned.

Seven times. Plus stage productions, radio plays, and television adaptations. Not sure any of that counts against it; it's not up for Best Original Screenplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Niska

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

It was only okay, though I do really like "Into the Unknown".

On merit, it's exclusion isn't surprising - but it being a big Disney animation, you'd expect it to be nominated no matter how good or bad it is.

There was a rule change this year for Animated nominations:
    In the Animated Feature category, the theatrical release of eight eligible animated features in the calendar year is no longer required for the awards category to be activated. In addition, nominations voting will be automatically open to all active members of the Short Films and Feature Animation Branch. Other active voting members of the Academy must opt-in to participate in the nominations round.

https://www.oscars.org/news/academy-announces-rules-92nd-oscars

Unfortunately, I can't find what the previous rule is, but from the bolded section, I'd infer that previously all members could nominate vote for Best Animated Feature, which would probably weighted previous nominations heavily in Disney and Pixar's favour (possibly Dreamworks) - as they'd be the most seen animated films.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

Don't really know where else to post this...

What a start to the decade it has been for us in the UK & Ireland. The first few films I've seen are;

Jojo Rabbit
    Little Women
    Uncut Gems

with 1917, The Lighthouse, Parasite and Portrait of a Lady on Fire next up, this could be one hell of a year for film.

I am one excited and happy movie goer at the moment.

Back on topic... Such a shame that the animated feature category has been so poor for the last few years. It used to be so strong only recently.

El Duda wrote: »
    What a start to the decade it has been for us in the UK.

stephen-rea-reveals-something-unexpected-about-wrap-parties-while-discussing-michael-collins.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

LOL

Sometimes I forget this is an Irish forum

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hey, we suffered through 800 years of oppression for that ‘dot ie’ domain :pac:

Goodshape wrote: »
    Don't know what "THE MEDIA" (booo hiisss) is complaining about, but I would like to have seen Gerwig in place of either Todd Philips or Martin Scorese. I've not seen Parasite or 1917 yet.

Nothing to do with gender, I just thought Little Women was masterfully orchestrated from start to finish – whereas Joker and The Irishman, while decent, just weren't as finely tuned.

I thought Little Women was flawed. Even when I figured out the jumbled chronology, I didn’t think it worked and the whole thing was too busy with not enough contemplative, breathing room moments. I don’t see this as major snub, to be honest. And the amount of times it has been adapted may well have contributed to it not getting as many nominations as other films on its level. A sort of heavy-lidded “This again?” ennui.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Why? Its story was Disney straight-to-DVD sequel quality sh*te and the music was all forgettable rubbish. Even my fiance, who loves Frozen 1, hated it.

I haven't seen "I lost my Body" yet (it's been added to my Netlfix queue), but out of the animation nominations I think Klaus deserves it the most. I just found it to be a surprisingly good movie with a really nice animations style and story. I would be happy too if Missing Link won, despite finding it to be Laika's weakest solo film, it's animation is still really gorgeous and I think Laika are long overdue an oscar.

How to Train Your Dragon 3 was decent enough, I have no problems with it but didn't find it to be anything special and Toy Story 4 had some nice bits but really felt like a 40 minute special dragged out into a full movie (most of the recurring characters completely side tracked, I didn't find the antagonist resolution to be very satisfying etc.).

I liked Frozen II better than Toy Story 4 - and that's coming from someone who loved the first three Toy Stories. Frozen might have been a bit messy, but the animation was absolutely spectacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

El Duda wrote: »
    Don't really know where else to post this...

What a start to the decade it has been for us in the UK & Ireland. The first few films I've seen are;

Jojo Rabbit
    Little Women
    Uncut Gems

with 1917, The Lighthouse, Parasite and Portrait of a Lady on Fire next up, this could be one hell of a year for film.

I am one excited and happy movie goer at the moment.

Back on topic... Such a shame that the animated feature category has been so poor for the last few years. It used to be so strong only recently.

January is usually stacked full of good movies as its Oscar season .
    The quality goes off the cliff from February on.

Seven times. Plus stage productions, radio plays, and television adaptations. Not sure any of that counts against it; it's not up for Best Original Screenplay.
    Have you see all these earlier versions, do you think this is the best one of the lot. The Katherine Hepburn version received a Best Director nomination. Greta Gerwig is no George Cukor.

Have you see all these earlier versions, do you think this is the best one of the lot. The Katherine Hepburn version received a Best Director nomination. Greta Gerwig is no George Cukor.

No, haven't seen any of them. Still not sure why it's relevant. It's not a prize for "Best Adaptation of Little Women".

• Advertisement

No, haven't seen any of them. Still not sure why it's relevant. It's not a prize for "Best Adaptation of Little Women".

It’s inevitably going to be compared to other versions.

Advertisement