Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

92nd Academy Awards (Oscars 2020)

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

PressRun wrote: »
    Don't see why anyone cares. It's not like you're being forced at gunpoint to do anything a celebrity says during an awards acceptance speech. You're not even being forced to watch said acceptance speech. But of course people will watch them just so they can then complain about them.

He didn't say anything remotely controversial. People just love getting worked up and offended about trivial things and then accuse everyone else of being easily offended.

Not worked up or offended (Why do people say you're worked up or offended if you have a counter opinion on something.)

Just thought he came across as pompous and why couldn't he just enjoy his moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭PressRun

murpho999 wrote: »
    Not worked up or offended (Why do people say you're worked up or offended if you have a counter opinion on something.)

Just thought he came across as pompous and why couldn't he just enjoy his moment?

I'm sure he did enjoy his moment?

Sometimes public figures like to use their platform to talk about things that are important to them. This is not unheard of. You neither have to listen nor care and yet here you are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 28,980 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Sorry folks, but a footballer showed how weird, politicised, awkward award show speeches should be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Arghus wrote: »
    How do people get so worked up about this every year? They make a speech, so what? Some people seem to be personally offended by this. You should really not take it that seriously.

Of course actors are going to be more talkative than footballers when accepting awards. And as for the GAA captains: their speeches are so boring, that they could do with a bit of anything to liven them up.
    It's just a way of pointing at the weirdo and laughing. Proper gutter type talk.

Sorry folks, but a footballer showed how weird, politicised, awkward award show speeches should be done.

Fantastic from Cantona, utterly memorable, unique and distinct vs the skipping vinyl that is Joachim Phoenix

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I clicked in wondering, curious if I'd see it. Yup. Every year, it's the same damn whinging lol :D Moaning about the results, and moaning about actors having the temerity to voice an opinion in a public space.

Also, are people suggesting that acting doesn't involve being a working stiff? Acting? Ya know, that most stable career bank managers just LOVE to see in mortgage applications? :)

Just off the top of my head, Olivia Coleman worked as a cleaning lady IIRC before striking it big, and I daresay hers was no different to most budding actors trying to make a go of it. Heck I'd say working in the Service Industry is a right of passage, if not a trope. Maybe in time, fame warps perspectives and you see actors lose the run of themselves - happens in all walks of life, including sport - but to suggest actors are fundamentally divorced from reality is false. They've usually got where they are the long & hard way around, like Coleman. While most never even get that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭santana75

Watched the highlight show last night after a day of media blackout.......was genuinely shocked to see Parasite win best picture. Its an alright film, but nothing special. Once upon a time in Hollywood was a lot better. Joaquin phoenix's speech was painful to watch. I always liked his performances but the stuff he said at the Golden globes, then the baftas and now oscars, he comes across as someone whos a bit disturbed. Delighted for Brad pitt, he was the opposite of Joaquin phoenix, just absolute class, a gentleman. You could tell that everyone in that theater was genuinely happy he won.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Was happy enough with most winners but thought Joker should have won best film, Florence Pugh best s/actress for Little Women and Pacino best s/actor for The Irishman.

Pitt I felt played Cliff as he's played many other characters and whilst I loved the movie, I just didn't see how his performance was Oscar worthy. In fact I'd say his performance in Ad Astra was way better.

Shame Sandler didn't get at least a nom too of course. At least.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

PressRun wrote: »
    Don't see why anyone cares. It's not like you're being forced at gunpoint to do anything a celebrity says during an awards acceptance speech. You're not even being forced to watch said acceptance speech. But of course people will watch them just so they can then complain about them.

He didn't say anything remotely controversial. People just love getting worked up and offended about trivial things and then accuse everyone else of being easily offended.

He has been very left wing his whole life and a vegetarian since he was a child so he isn't doing this for woke points. I don't mind anyone like him airing his political views as they are a 100% genuine.

Still going to eat meat later though. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭PressRun

Rjd2 wrote: »
    He has been very left wing his whole life and a vegetarian since he was a child so he isn't doing this for woke points. I don't mind anyone like him airing his political views as they are a 100% genuine.

Still going to eat meat later though. :o

I don't think he was doing it for show either. This fella was donating money to Bernie Sanders in the States years ago. I think left wing is actually just his view on things and in fact I think it's just reflective of the way he was raised. The whole family were essentially hippies and if people think Joaquin is out there, they probably would have hated anything his brother had to say back in the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

brevity wrote: »
    Why?

I mean politics involve everyone. You might think they are removed because of their wealth and fame but I don’t see why they cannot voice their opinions.

It never fails to come across self-important to me, no matter what celeb does it. Pampered celebs (and make no mistake, Phoenix is pampered) pontificating will always stick in my craw. I don’t begrudge them their success but by its nature, it causes them to lose touch.
    Arghus wrote: »
    How do people get so worked up about this every year? They make a speech, so what? Some people seem to be personally offended by this. You should really not take it that seriously.

Of course actors are going to be more talkative than footballers when accepting awards. And as for the GAA captains: their speeches are so boring, that they could do with a bit of anything to liven them up.

Because it annoys us. Obvs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

pixelburp wrote: »
    I clicked in wondering, curious if I'd see it. Yup. Every year, it's the same damn whinging lol :D Moaning about the results, and moaning about actors having the temerity to voice an opinion in a public space.

Also, are people suggesting that acting doesn't involve being a working stiff? Acting? Ya know, that most stable career bank managers just LOVE to see in mortgage applications? :)

Just off the top of my head, Olivia Coleman worked as a cleaning lady IIRC before striking it big, and I daresay hers was no different to most budding actors trying to make a go of it. Heck I'd say working in the Service Industry is a right of passage, if not a trope. Maybe in time, fame warps perspectives and you see actors lose the run of themselves - happens in all walks of life, including sport - but to suggest actors are fundamentally divorced from reality is false. They've usually got where they are the long & hard way around, like Coleman. While most never even get that far.

Phoenix has worked pretty consistently since he was a teenager. He’s not in that category.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,520 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

brevity wrote: »
    Why?

I mean politics involve everyone. You might think they are removed because of their wealth and fame but I don’t see why they cannot voice their opinions.

Yeah doesn't bother me as i'll just turn it off but the issue i'd have with it is that these people are mostly liberal lefties clapping each other on the back and trying to save the world and the environment bla bla bla.

Anyone who has a different opinion will be hounded out until there opinions change. When the reality is they mostly live in huge houses driving gas guzzling sports cars and flying all over the world, they couldn't care less about the environment, they're just trying to create a false image for themselves. Its the hypocrisy :)

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Anyone who has a different opinion will be hounded out until there opinions change. When the reality is they mostly live in huge houses driving gas guzzling sports cars and flying all over the world, they couldn't care less about the environment, they're just trying to create a false image for themselves. Its the hypocrisy :)

Exactly ,its the hypocrisy of it .
    Most of them are vain money hungry hypocrites .

They arent very liberal at all when it comes down to it ,as they get worked up into a huge frenzy if anyone doesnt agree with them .
    Donald Trump being case in point ,the hatred in Hollywood for him is something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

The only reason Joaquin's speeches could irritate me is Rooney Mara is basically American royalty. You've a direct line to billionaires so it might be more productive to hassle them about the environment

Advertisement