Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

92nd Academy Awards (Oscars 2020)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

1917 now 4/6 and Parasite 7/5.

Parasite's chances getting better and better by the minute it looks like.

Nice musical montage there now at the "De la Hoyas" as I like to call them :D

I love watchin the audience "diggin" the musical acts.. Quality entertainment :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

It really is a mutual admiration gathering every year.

It would be lovely to see a few surprise wins.

I just came here to post the same thing. It’s becoming so staid and predictable. I’d love a few surprises. But it was ever thus, I guess. Surprises are rare at the Oscars.
    Arghus wrote: »
    There was a lot of buzz last year about Roma being the potential first foreign language winner and they went for the extremely standard choice of Green Book. They usually like to get the optics right the second time around. There'd be a buzz around Parasite winning, especially at the expense of the more "standard" 1917.

Parasite just got original screenplay there. It wasn't favourite in that category either.

Screenplay is often where a wildcard will win. It bridges the gap between large and small awards. I want a big category shock, dammit!

Hayek is Hot :D

• Advertisement

Hayek is Hot :D

And living every woman's dream, married to a billionaire who is CEO of the company that owns Gucci, YSL, Balanciaga and a bunch of other high fashion lines.

Bet she still complains she has nothing to wear though.

And living every woman's dream, married to a billionaire who is CEO of the company that owns Gucci, YSL, Balanciaga and a bunch of other high fashion lines.

Bet she still complains she has nothing to wear though.

:pac: :pac: :pac:

That's a good un :D

The diversity BS is so annoying, and that rap was corny as hell. Mindy Kaling presenting was simply because she ticks multiple diversity boxes she's a C lister at best.

The Lighthouse should have won best Cinematography but Deakins was always going to get it. It was cool in fairness how 1917 looked like basically 2 long scenes, but that's been done before, Hitchcock did it with Rope, Birdman was like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

The diversity BS is so annoying, and that rap was corny as hell. Mindy Kaling presenting was simply because she ticks multiple diversity boxes she's a C lister at best.

The Lighthouse should have won best Cinematography but Deakins was always going to get it. It was cool in fairness how 1917 looked like basically 2 long scenes, but that's been done before, Hitchcock did it with Rope, Birdman was like that.

As Oscars hosting is often hit and miss, so? Would that be so terrible? Especially as she’s fairly popular. No host will be liked by everyone. I’ll never understand the viewpoint of “Well, I don’t find this person funny therefore nobody else does or should”.

You know a lot about movies... Rope was a great film .... Haven't seen any of the rest of them....

The diversity crap is bloody annoying alright...

Bird on commentary almost pronounced Saoirse's name right just now.. At least there's that

• Advertisement

Tooned in late enough to this show; but if it hasn't happened already *I make it a 2/5 shot that someone mentions Kobe in their acceptance speech...

And 10/11 that someone "dedicates" it (the Oscar that is) to Kobe

*just for my own amusement

We love ya Kobe, Rest in peace Black Mamba :P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,585 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

^^ someone did, yeah.

I loved Bombshell, it deserved more awards than it got.

For me, on tonight's showing Hayek trumps Cruz on the hotness scale :)

^^ someone did, yeah.

I loved Bombshell, it deserved more awards than it got.

Well, since my last prediction was belated I reckon someone gonna sing
    "A change gonna come" dedicated to some cause or other :o

More of a workin' man's price this time. I have it at 10/3 for the lols :D

Brie Larson looks beautiful.

Reg is gettin' on a bit

I'm hoping he might give us a few bars of "Hold me closer Tony Danza", but alas he prolly can't hit 'em high notes no mo' :(

• Registered Users Posts: 31,240 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Butchered poor auld Eimear Noone's name!

Im-ear.

Those Baps on Larson... Oooffffff..... :pac:

No 'In Memoriam' this year?

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Butchered poor auld Eimear Noone's name!

Im-ear.

That's okay... Us "honkies" don't get our panties in a twist because someone unfamiliar with a name can't get the correct pronunciation...

That how we be y'all... Deuces :D

• Advertisement

As Oscars hosting is often hit and miss, so? Would that be so terrible? Especially as she’s fairly popular. No host will be liked by everyone. I’ll never understand the viewpoint of “Well, I don’t find this person funny therefore nobody else does or should”.

Would what be so terrible? I think you missed my point and not sure what yours is. There isnt a single host this year they are using multiple presenters. But usually ones that are pretty accomplished, she stuck out to me as being a lot less so.

What I'm saying is that the push for diversity isn't really needed, there are plenty of POC getting recognition in film and the arts, what they are doing tonight just feels like tokenism, they're overdoing it so much it feels forced. The funny part is they tried to bring in a black man last year only to find out he was homophobic.

Mendes was 1/6 to win best director so this is a big upset for Bong to get it. Really hope he gets BP now too.

No 'In Memoriam' this year?

I like those "In Memoriam" bits...

They don't get into the maudlin sh1t about how they passed or illnesses - depressing stuff that...

Just maudlin type music but that's ok...

Might happen yet

This should be over at 4am, tick tock, they need to shpeed it up a bit.

Would what be so terrible? I think you missed my point and not sure what yours is. There isnt a single host this year they are using multiple presenters. But usually ones that are pretty accomplished, she stuck out to me as being a lot less so.

What I'm saying is that the push for diversity isn't really needed, there are plenty of POC getting recognition in film and the arts, what they are doing tonight just feels like tokenism, they're overdoing it so much it feels forced. The funny part is they tried to bring in a black man last year only to find out he was homophobic.

Mendes was 1/6 to win best director so this is a big upset for Bong to get it. Really hope he gets BP now too.

Novelty markets are a joke...

Guess someone finally told Billie who the Beatles were.

I thought it was gonna be sort of cringe the way it started, but her version of Yesterday was actually very good, just slightly too quiet esp at the beginning.

They stuck Kobe in the In Memoriams, he's had some unforgettable performances no doubt but they were on the hardwood not the big screen AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭al87987

Best director usually leads to best picture.

Am i right in saying that 9 of the last 10 years best picture has also been won by best director? Ben affleck not nominated for Argo i think was the exception

Parasite was the best movie I've seen all year by a good bit, hope it wins

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭al87987

Guess someone finally told Billie who the Beatles were.

I thought it was gonna be sort of cringe the way it started, but her version of Yesterday was actually very good, just slightly too quiet esp at the beginning.

They stuck Kobe in the In Memoriams, he's had some unforgettable performances no doubt but they were on the hardwood not the big screen AFAIK.

Kobe won an oscar a couple of years back for his short story, the pic was him holding his oscar.

I actually didn't/don't care who won anything once Joaquin Phoenix did.
    Average film but an amazing performance.

A bit melodramatic there Joaquin.... and an awful amount of shoitetalk... :mad: and :D simultaneously..

I like the doo - ality crap talk bs :P

• Advertisement

"Always bet on black"...... Wesley Snipes :D

Advertisement