Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

92nd Academy Awards (Oscars 2020)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

It’s inevitably going to be compared to other versions.

The other versions aren't in contention this year.

Anyway, that argument might hold more water with regards to a Best Picture nomination – being the seventh version of an old book – but it already has that.

And I'm not claiming any grand conspiracy. I'd just like to have seen her nominated, and wouldn't terribly miss Philips or Scorsese. Much as I love Scorsese - Irishman wasn't his greatest.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,773 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It’s inevitably going to be compared to other versions.

Perhaps. But that should have no bearing on its selection for an award in 2020. The only comparisons that are valid are against its contemporary rivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,773 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Goodshape wrote: »
    Much as I love Scorsese - Irishman wasn't his greatest.

Perhaps, but if he does get his gong this year, it's as much an admission by the Academy that they'd buggered it up previously for his other nominated films. How he didn't get the award in 1980 is still beyond me. While 'Ordinary People' is a fine film, 'Raging Bull' is far ahead of it.

Although, you could say that they already did that with 'The Departed'.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

A Star is Born was nominated in loads of categories last year, despite being one of several remakes of a similar story. Shouldn't matter what came before.

I haven't seen Little Women yet, but as far as the director's category goes, it's a strong lineup. It would have to have been a truly masterful piece of direction to make that list on merit, and not to fit an agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,725 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Why? Its story was Disney straight-to-DVD sequel quality sh*te and the music was all forgettable rubbish. Even my fiance, who loves Frozen 1, hated it.

A big box office Disney hit not nominated for animation is a surprise to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭El Duda

Dades wrote: »

I haven't seen Little Women yet, but as far as the director's category goes, it's a strong lineup. It would have to have been a truly masterful piece of direction to make that list on merit, and not to fit an agenda.

It is an astonishingly well directed film. She really did deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    A big box office Disney hit not nominated for animation is a surprise to me

Just because something makes a lot of money doesn't make it any good. And Frozen 2 was rubbish.

Just because something makes a lot of money doesn't make it any good. And Frozen 2 was rubbish.

I thought Disney, mega money so a guaranteed Oscar nomination :p

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

Something being any good often has little to do with Oscar nominations

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 28,980 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Dades wrote: »
    It would have to have been a truly masterful piece of direction to make that list on merit, and not to fit an agenda.

Based on the individual films alone rather than entire filmography, I'd happily rate Gerwig's work on Little Women above that of every nominee bar Bong Joon-ho (Parasite is a work of Hitchcock-level precision). And I really liked The Irishman and quite liked Once Upon A Time... In Hollywood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Has she done anything new to the adaptation compared with the earlier versions. Gillian Armstrong capably directed this movie back in the 1990s. Why the fuss now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Yeah, I'm gonna have to go see this if I want to have a valid opinion!
    Parasite on the agenda too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Goodshape wrote: »
    The other versions aren't in contention this year.

Anyway, that argument might hold more water with regards to a Best Picture nomination – being the seventh version of an old book – but it already has that.

And I'm not claiming any grand conspiracy. I'd just like to have seen her nominated, and wouldn't terribly miss Philips or Scorsese. Much as I love Scorsese - Irishman wasn't his greatest.
    Tony EH wrote: »
    Perhaps. But that should have no bearing on its selection for an award in 2020. The only comparisons that are valid are against its contemporary rivals.

Yeah but you can’t police whether or not people, in their heads, unfavourably compare the film to earlier versions and are influenced by that and then subsequently don’t choose it for nomination. All kinds of things can put off Academy voters. I recall an anonymous member saying that they were put off voting for Get Out to get Best Picture because Daniel Kaluuya was quite preachy towards them on politics and the Academy member felt that the film should speak for itself. They were miffed at being lectured.

That was deciding on Best Picture rather than deciding on nominations for a category but I thought it was an interesting insight. You can say what should and shouldn’t be the parameters when deciding these things but ultimately you can’t get inside somebody’s head so there’s only so much you can control when it comes to something as subjective as this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

El Duda wrote: »
    It is an astonishingly well directed film. She really did deserve it.

I didn’t think it was at all. I had a fair few problems with it. I also had problems with Joker and The Irishman but I don’t see it as any great omission to not include Gerwig. They weren’t all guaranteed to make the cut. Scorsese would nudge either out of the way and the Academy loves novelty and first-time nominees.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

I thought Disney, mega money so a guaranteed Oscar nomination :p

I see where you are coming from, but I guess I am just glad/relieved that a blockbuster Disney animation didn't get a nomination just because it's a blockbuster Disney animation, especially when it was as poor as Frozen 2. (That said, Toy Story 4 did get one and I don't think it really deserves a nomination either).
    cian68 wrote: »
    Something being any good often has little to do with Oscar nominations

Also true.:)

SAG delivered same acting winners but with Parasite taking cast

I hope we get a few surprise shock wins tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 14,197 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I hope we get a few surprise shock wins tonight

Hopefully, it's been one of the dullest Oscar seasons I can remember.

Wouldn't be entirely surprised to see Parasite win the big one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,360 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Getting hit with the diversity hammer for a few hours.

No thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Arghus wrote: »
    Hopefully, it's been one of the dullest Oscar seasons I can remember.

Wouldn't be entirely surprised to see Parasite win the big one.

1917 was 2/5 on paddy power a few days ago and parasite was 4 to 1. Checked an hour ago and 1917 was 8/13 and parasite into 15/8.

So while 1917 is still the most likely winner there seems to be a much better chance for Parasite now.

I think Once Upon a Time was the best film of the year with Parasite a close 2nd. 1917 was good, it was very well made with the long takes etc but war films have been done to death, the other 2 were far more unique.

As the academy is under pressure for more diversity we could see Parasite win. I hope it does if the only other option is a british version of saving private ryan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,544 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

It really is a mutual admiration gathering every year.

It would be lovely to see a few surprise wins.

No Irish singer for Into the Unknown, Saoirse could have double jobbed :p

I hope both Timothée Chalamet and Saoirse Ronan win many awards over the next decade.
    Both are amazing actors considering they're so young.

1917 was 2/5 on paddy power a few days ago and parasite was 4 to 1. Checked an hour ago and 1917 was 8/13 and parasite into 15/8.

So while 1917 is still the most likely winner there seems to be a much better chance for Parasite now.

I think Once Upon a Time was the best film of the year with Parasite a close 2nd. 1917 was good, it was very well made with the long takes etc but war films have been done to death, the other 2 were far more unique.

As the academy is under pressure for more diversity we could see Parasite win. I hope it does if the only other option is a british version of saving private ryan.

There was a lot of buzz last year about Roma being the potential first foreign language winner and they went for the extremely standard choice of Green Book. They usually like to get the optics right the second time around. There'd be a buzz around Parasite winning, especially at the expense of the more "standard" 1917.

Parasite just got original screenplay there. It wasn't favourite in that category either.

Brad Pitt won also. I think everyone knew it was going to be Brad Pitt.

I'd love Joker to win best picture

I respectfully disagree.

Arghus wrote: »
    There was a lot of buzz last year about Roma being the potential first foreign language winner and they went for the extremely standard choice of Green Book. They usually like to get the optics right the second time around. There'd be a buzz around Parasite winning, especially at the expense of the more "standard" 1917.

Parasite just got original screenplay there. It wasn't favourite in that category either.

No it was, Once Upon a time was favorite until Parasite won the BAFTA and it became favorite was around 8/15 or 4/9 this morning.

How lovely to hear a thank you speech that doesn't involve a political jibe.

• Advertisement

I'd love Joker to win best picture

It has no chance but Phoenix is a mortal lock for best actor. It's gonna win best original score too.

Advertisement