Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter McVerry Trust staff and wages

Options

Comments

eviltwin wrote: »
    We keep people safe, we provide counselling, support them through addiction, mental health issues, domestic violence. We have food for the kids, homework clubs, we give people who need it time, we listen to them, we teach them how to budget, manage a home, life skills. We can't get them out of homelessness with the click of a finger but that's not the job. The job is to provide them with emergency accommodation and support to live independently. I do a great job, my colleagues do a great job.
    Raconteuse wrote: »
    And who'd be able to do all that work for free? You?
    stoneill wrote: »
    I think that a lot of people on this thread should spend some time working with the charities for a week or two to see the devastation of peoples lives and then comment whether it is money well spent or not.
    gman2k wrote: »
    I work for an organisation that has "Charity" in its name and provides services to vulnerable people.
    The job I do (and get paid for) cannot be done by volunteers, and there are many people in my organisation who would not even work with some of the people I support due to the challenges they present.
    There have been many people I know who have been seriously injured in the course of their work.
    To suggest that services can and should be provided by unpaid volunteers or even lowly paid employees is laughable, but understandable when it comes from people who have zero knowledge of what is entailed.

Nobody is saying that any volunteers and frontline staff aren't doing a good job. In fact, the vast majority of us wouldn't do it for twice what you're all being paid. The grievance people have is over the wastefulness that comes with repetition of roles across a number of charities. You don't need (or you wouldn't need) 15 CEOs and 15 boards and 15 sets of counselors etc if there was a centralised unit responsible for all the work currently carried out by the charities.

I posted the following on this exact topic in January:
    Ignoring, for a second, that we use a different metric to ascertain as to what exactly counts as being “homeless”………..

Homelessness has become a business for certain groups. It is in their interest to bang this particular drum in the media as often and as loud as possible because this is their bread and butter. These guys would be out of a job if we eradicated homelessness.

https://pmvtrust.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Approved-and-Signed-PMVT-Audited-Accounts-for-2017-Excluding-income-and-expenditure.pdf

Total employment costs for 2017 – €14.9million (page 24)
    Total state funding – €14.4million (page 11)

Think about that for a second. Every penny the Government gives these guys, plus the first half a million raised via collection, plus the €200k used to fund that collection (on page 13) is spent on staff salaries and pensions. Before a cup of tea or a sleeping bag or a pair of dry socks is handed out, they take the first €15million+.

If they didn’t exist, and that €15 mill was handed out to an organisation that already receives funding (like ICHH or example or even if their funding was given to PMcV), it would all go towards where it’s needed (barring a small % increase in the number of staff they’d have to employ).

Scandalous, really.

I am in no way disparaging the great work that people do for PMCVT. But when homeless people would be better off to the tune of €15,000,000 by the dissolution of the most prominent charity, then questions have to be asked.

If the charities really wanted to end homelessness they'd band together to cut costs, saving money in the process and have more to spread out where it is required. Instead, they're competing with each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Nobody is saying that any volunteers and frontline staff aren't doing a good job. In fact, the vast majority of us wouldn't do it for twice what you're all being paid. The grievance people have is over the wastefulness that comes with repetition of roles across a number of charities. You don't need (or you wouldn't need) 15 CEOs and 15 boards and 15 sets of counselors etc if there was a centralised unit responsible for all the work currently carried out by the charities.

If the charities really wanted to end homelessness they'd band together to cut costs, saving money in the process and have more to spread out where it is required. Instead, they're competing with each other.

And in January it was pointed out by several people than you and your fellow rabid hoard members hadn't a notion what you were talking about.

Go back and read that thread.

rabbis hoard

:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

On 37k and you’ve to account for all the work you do and meet KPIs? Sounds like you’re on the gravy train, mate.

Seriously though, it sounds like you have a normal enough sounding job with targets and reasonable expectations in remuneration. I don’t get the hostility towards people working in charities.

I'm posting from my yaught in Bermuda as we speak.

I'm posting from my yaught in Bermuda as we speak.

It's so easy to get all that work done while you're doing the easy task of head counts, SAMS, observations, key work, dealing with a benzo fit, talking someone through hap applications, braking out the noloxone kit to save someone's life mid OD, talking down a suicidal resident, and keeping the place clean and safe.

Quit slacking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I don’t know how many homeless charities there are. But I really don’t think the terrible maths is helping the case. I accept that duplication is bad and economy of scale is good. But the example above is poor for lots of reasons.

It’s fairly simple.

There is a finite amount of money donated. The more “charities” there are, the less of that donated money actually gets to the people it was donated for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

Surprised it took so long for an attack on McVerry tbh. He lambasts the government for the behaviour of Murphy for claiming 51k yet not doing the job he was elected to do whilst Peter accompanied a teenager to court who was caught stealing a bar costing a euro.

It’s stealing a €1euro bar of choc today and possibly being involved in gangland executions tomorrow. These things are best nipped in the bud

It's so easy to get all that work done while you're doing the easy task of head counts, SAMS, observations, key work, dealing with a benzo fit, talking someone through hap applications, braking out the noloxone kit to save someone's life mid OD, talking down a suicidal resident, and keeping the place clean and safe.

Quit slacking.

Shhhh, will ya.

It’s stealing a €1euro bar of choc today and possibly being involved in gangland executions tomorrow. These things are best nipped in the bud

Apt name for that post.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,028 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Probably cane from the exposure of widespread fraud in Ireland in charities a few years ago?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thesun.ie/news/3639258/ ex-charity-chief-paul-keppy-quizzed-dawn-swoop/amp/

The former CEO — suspected of swindling €600,000 from suicide helpline Console between 2012 and 2014 — was driven from his luxury pad in Clane, Co Kildare, early yesterday morning

One example of many.

Not saying they are all the same just showing why people might be suspicious.

Could have. And if it is a result of changes after that, it’s a good thing, right? Good controls on how the money is spend dvd good auditing of the work being done.

Sounds like a good system to me. Doesn’t it sound good to you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Who actually own all the houses provided by the Peter Mc very trust? Is it the Catholic Church?

Who actually own all the houses provided by the Peter Mc very trust? Is it the Catholic Church?

No , PMVT is a trust , they own the properties, they function as a housing association.

The trust own most of the buildings. After that some are rented.
    Tulsa/HSE own some, and DCC, Kildare CC, and Wicklow CC own a small minority.

The church owns none of them. In fact the Jesuit order recently gifted several properties in North city centre to the trust for housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Spot on. 1 charity for homelessness with 1 CEO and 1 advertising budget rather than possibly 10 charities with 10 CEOs and 10 competing advertising campaigns.

Pay the 1 CEO a salary of €200,000 to run this super charity efficiently, and allow more of the donations and government subsidies to go those in need.

The trust own most of the buildings. After that some are rented.
    Tulsa/HSE own some, and DCC, Kildare CC, and Wicklow CC own a small minority.

The church owns none of them. In fact the Jesuit order recently gifted several properties in North city centre to the trust for housing.

Are you really a subcomandante ?

Are you really a subcomandante ?

I will be, when the revolution comes.

I will be, when the revolution comes.

I'd like to be a deputy admiral Subcomandante.

Lets say the disposable income of the people of Ireland is €1,000,000 as an example.

If there is one homeless charity and overheads and wages is €250k, then €750k will go to the people that need it.

If there are 2 homeless charities competing, then €250k will go to those that need it.

4 charities and its down to €0k.

How many homeless "charities" are there currently, even just Dublin based??

You’ve hit the nail on the head. How many “Charities” duplicating the same services? How many of the 10,000 homeless do PMV’s 500 staff support?
    As for the starting salary, it may be Dublin rate, but sure as Hell isnt the rate outside the Pale.
    All this money and still 10,000 homeless. Heads should be rolling.

It’s fairly simple.

There is a finite amount of money donated. The more “charities” there are, the less of that donated money actually gets to the people it was donated for.

Yeah I think anyone would agree that things like duplication are bad. But if there is 1 charity with x admit costs. and it’s split into 2 charities, the admin costs won’t stay at x level in both charities. There will be some duplication but the admin costs won’t double like they did in your example. That’s why it’s not a good example.

You’ve hit the nail on the head. How many “Charities” duplicating the same services? How many of the 10,000 homeless do PMV’s 500 staff support?
    As for the starting salary, it may be Dublin rate, but sure as Hell isnt the rate outside the Pale.
    All this money and still 10,000 homeless. Heads should be rolling.

Who’s head should roll?

• Advertisement

Spot on. 1 charity for homelessness with 1 CEO and 1 advertising budget rather than possibly 10 charities with 10 CEOs and 10 competing advertising campaigns.

Pay the 1 CEO a salary of €200,000 to run this super charity efficiently, and allow more of the donations and government subsidies to go those in need.

I'm not sure that would be feasible, I've moved between charities because I felt their policies weren't viable , that they weren't client centred, weren't value for money and weren't as proactive as they could be.

Go for it. Sounds really efficient. Now all it needs his you to make it happen just like how people like PMV made their organisations happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,845 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I think there is more to robbing the E1 drink to be honest. Where do you draw the line? theft is ok, because it something cheap?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Who’s head should roll?

I'm also curious about this.

Yeah I think anyone would agree that things like duplication are bad. But if there is 1 charity with x admit costs. and it’s split into 2 charities, the admin costs won’t stay at x level in both charities. There will be some duplication but the admin costs won’t double like they did in your example. That’s why it’s not a good example.

I'm not talking about splitting it, i'm talking about another "charity" competing with it. Which is whats happening now. You have "charities" paying for radio ads, tv ads etc in order to get the edge over other charities.

I'm not talking about splitting it, i'm talking about another "charity" competing with it. Which is whats happening now. You have "charities" paying for radio ads, tv ads etc in order to get the edge over other charities.

Yeah. That’s what’s happening. They all help different groups of people with different needs (some overlapping) and they all pay their own overheads too. Sounds normal, even if sub optimal.

Who’s head should roll?

The CEO for a start. Homelessness is an industry. It thrives on people being classed as homeless. Plenty have been calling for Leo Varadker and his Ministers to be sacked. Yet, the multiple charities are employing almost as many as are homeless. Homelessness is increasing on these CEO’s watch.

Yeah. That’s what’s happening. They all help different groups of people with different needs (some overlapping) and they all pay their own overheads too. Sounds normal, even if sub optimal.

How do say, Focus and PMVT, two of the largest in Dublin, differentiate? What different groups do they cater for???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

The CEO for a start. Homelessness is an industry. It thrives on people being classed as homeless. Plenty have been calling for Leo Varadker and his Ministers to be sacked. Yet, the multiple charities are employing almost as many as are homeless. Homelessness is increasing on these CEO’s watch.

You mentioned heads, plural. Who's after the CEO?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I think there is more to robbing the E1 drink to be honest. Where do you draw the line? theft is ok, because it something cheap?

Of course there is, it's actually astounding it has just been taken at face value

Advertisement