Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter McVerry Trust staff and wages

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

BDI wrote: »
    Have you read the thread?

Call a state of crisis. Streamline all charities into one. Vote in one CEO and one board.

Economies of scale. Create a monopoly. Argue prices with service and good suppliers as well as staff to get costs right down.

Use saved money on actually providing housing for homeless in big abandoned buildings in cheaper parts of the country like abandoned hotels in abandoned tourist towns. Use saved money to have a doctor and psychologist staff available to people who need it not try to provide one to each ten bed hostel in town but to two and three hundred room hotels.

Let’s end homelessness.

Okay, so you're going to:

Expect staff to take paycuts - why would I opt to make less money when it's already not a great wage?

Expect psychologists and doctors to administer services to between 300-900 people in a single building (assuming there's 1-3 people in your 300 room hotel)?

Expect a homeless service to run efficiently and SAFELY with that number of people?

You're talking absolute waffle. Your words are worthless and you haven't the foggiest notion about the sector, its workers and especially its clients.

Go volunteer for six months, learn the basics of the sector and then come back and defend your opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Okay, so you're going to:

Expect staff to take paycuts - why would I opt to make less money when it's already not a great wage?

Expect psychologists and doctors to administer services to between 300-900 people in a single building (assuming there's 1-3 people in your 300 room hotel)?

Expect a homeless service to run efficiently and SAFELY with that number of people?

You're talking absolute waffle. Your words are worthless and you haven't the foggiest notion about the sector, its workers and especially its clients.

Go volunteer for six months, learn the basics of the sector and then come back and defend your opinions.

You think I should volunteer but you won’t take a pay cut?

The entitlement.

Anything to offer , other than the earlier proposed "mega charity " ?

Forgive me if I've missed it, but what, exactly, is your own proposed solution? More money being thrown at it? More charities?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭corner of hells

The entitlement.

Bring your trade as a volunteer, you have a skill and are able to use your hands, one day a month.

Forgive me if I've missed it, but what, exactly, is your own proposed solution? More money being thrown at it? More charities?

I don't need to offer a solution.
    I'm content with what I do .

• Advertisement

I don't need to offer a solution.
    I'm content with what I do .

Hahahaha....... "Who cares if the homeless figures spiral out of control, as long as I can make a living from it". Gwan ta fcuk outta that, I'm done.

Hahahaha....... "Who cares if the homeless figures spiral out of control, as long as I can make a living from it". Gwan ta fcuk outta that, I'm done.

You're forgiven, night.

Bring your trade as a volunteer, you have a skill and are able to use your hands, one day a month.

One day a month I’m usually helping old people in my estate. Old woman at the end of my road has a small leak in her house I’ve to look at tomorrow. I usually have what I need to fix most stuff in my shed if I need to buy parts I charge them just for parts. It’s a fairly old estate with lots of old people. There’s another fella who works with computers and a mechanic we all get badgered but it gives you that feel good feeling. To be honest it also brings in work from people who can pay but bringing in work isn’t really something I need to worry about at the moment I make more doing overtime than nixers.

One day a month I’m usually helping old people in my estate. Old woman at the end of my road has a small leak in her house I’ve to look at tomorrow. I usually have what I need to fix most stuff in my shed if I need to buy parts I charge them just for parts. It’s a fairly old estate with lots of old people. There’s another fella who works with computers and a mechanic we all get badgered but it gives you that feel good feeling. To be honest it also brings in work from people who can pay but bringing in work isn’t really something I need to worry about at the moment I make more doing overtime than nixers.

No arguing with you there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

Seems Peter McVerry, the little priest with the soup kitchen has 500 staff. 18.6 million a year in wages. Pension contributed too.
    Average wage €37500.

What’s the best charity for percentage that actually goes to the needy? I heard of a pseudo science service provider having a charity before and all the money raised went towards him and his mate doing their pseudo science on people. The accounts seemed to show this.

What’s it all about? Restore my faith in charity on an industrial level.
    Little Dinners Cork all volunteers

• Advertisement

The entitlement.

If you're going to offer uninformed opinions, then at least have a modicum of knowledge to back it up. Volunteering would facilitate that.

Entitled to my hard earned wages? You bet I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,865 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

One day a month I’m usually helping old people in my estate.

8783c3e6ed4816b29d6ef56b64451441.jpg

If you're going to offer uninformed opinions, then at least have a modicum of knowledge to back it up. Volunteering would facilitate that.

Entitled to my hard earned wages? You bet I am.

I’m getting a sense that it’s like the civil service/piublic sector in there Jim. How many days sick pay do you get? Are you reminded to take them before they run out?

Boggles wrote: »
    8783c3e6ed4816b29d6ef56b64451441.jpg

This is a very serious thread , none of your messin'.

I’m getting a sense that it’s like the civil service/piublic sector in there Jim. How many days sick pay do you get? Are you reminded to take them before they run out?

It's not, I dunno how many sick days I get , I rarely get sick .
    If I call in sick , a relief worker is fostered in costing more money and no we don't get reminded to take sick leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Sardonicat wrote: »
    How would the services be provided if there was no staff to provide them? Do you think they should work for free and render themselves in need of the very services they provide?

The one characteristic which distinguishes charity from business is the idea that charity is voluntary, whereas a business is established to provide services for profit, and most of these organisations providing services to people in need aren’t doing so out of the goodness of their hearts -

The practice of charity means voluntary giving of help to those in need, as a humanitarian act.

Charity

Having had experience over the last two decades with several of these businesses that purport to be charitable organisations, it’s simply a fact that they’re more concerned with funding their continued existence and keeping themselves in employment, as opposed to alleviating the issues in society they claim to be addressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,313 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

99nsr125 wrote: »
    ~19.50 an hour
    There's a collective agreement if you want to check actual rates

Cheers but I don’t need to check the rates, I’m an electrician the rate for electricians is about 24 an hour currently. The rate prebust was 21.49 and had been for a long time.
    Just checked the rate it’s 23.70 for electricians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Just stop. The amount of uninformed ****e you've spouted on this thread is embarrassing.

Sit down and leave the laptop alone.

The one characteristic which distinguishes charity from business is the idea that charity is voluntary, whereas a business is established to provide services for profit, and most of these organisations providing services to people in need aren’t doing so out of the goodness of their hearts -

The practice of charity means voluntary giving of help to those in need, as a humanitarian act.

Charity

Having had experience over the last two decades with several of these businesses that purport to be charitable organisations, it’s simply a fact that they’re more concerned with funding their continued existence and keeping themselves in employment, as opposed to alleviating the issues in society they claim to be addressing.

Right. Round up your friends and srotnout staffing a roster in the hostels around the country and you'll be able to save the cost of a few thousand social care workers if you're stupid enough to do their jobs for free.

But don't run crying to them or having a whinge when you find out you're neither qualified or willing to do their jobs after 3 hours.

• Advertisement

Just stop. The amount of uninformed ****e you've spouted on this thread is embarrassing.

The saddest part is, they genuinely don't realise the level of their lack of knowledge. Bless.

I don’t know Marcus. One of the vocal charity workers won’t end homelessness because I expect him to take a pay cut but he thinks I should volunteer to learn the ropes.

It’s an industry and a career now. It’s not a charity. It’s a slow privatization of the welfare department with the perks and waste of the public service.

I don’t know Marcus. One of the vocal charity workers won’t end homelessness because I expect him to take a pay cut but he thinks I should volunteer to learn the ropes.

It’s an industry and a career now. It’s not a charity. It’s a slow privatization of the welfare department with the perks and waste of the public service.

I'd say you talk some amount of manure down the local. Poor bar staff.

You expect him to take a pay cut ?

Jim and Marcus. Tremendous. Unlike your knowledge of the homeless sector, your wit knows no bounds.

You're right. I wouldn't take a pay cut. Perhaps you'd like to step up as the useful and charitable member of society and give the same portion of your wages to an individual or charity of your choice?

Were you hoping my colleagues and I would take a 5k cut? Or 10k? As that'll be coming out of your salary instead, presumably?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,823 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

This might be controversial.

But how many people are on the street by their own choice ?

Like if you have a drug addiction etc ,?

There was an add on tv showing a typical irish family walking around Dublin City centre then getting into a tent, that just doesn't add up for me. There are formal services for a family like that.

Then the food kitchens on o'Connell street and Grafton Street , what are they actually about ?

If we are investing so much in homelessness, why are people eating on the street. A very uncivilized way to feed people. There are 100s of suitable buildings.

I'm not a fan of turning the two most important streets in Dublin to a homeless centre.

I know controversial, but citizens are entitled to their city too. Law and order is out of hand in inner city.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,027 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

The “charity” workers in the thread are getting very snappy.

incorrect, the qualified professionals who work in the NGO/charity sector, who post on this thread, are debunking the waffle and unrealistic expectations, and are giving the actual facts of the situation.
    They don’t seem to like their “charities” being exposed as Ponzi schemes.

that would be impossible given the charities being discussed, aren't and haven't being exposed as Ponzi schemes.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

It’s an indnd a career now. It’s not a charity. It’s a slow privatization of the welfare department with the perks and wustry aaste of the public service.
    all those so called charities are, i would never give them anything

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭anewme

This is a very mean spirited thread.

Taking swipes to point score or sneer at people working at the coal face of homelessness and all the challenges it brings indicates a person of low integrity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Right. Round up your friends and srotnout staffing a roster in the hostels around the country and you'll be able to save the cost of a few thousand social care workers if you're stupid enough to do their jobs for free.

But don't run crying to them or having a whinge when you find out you're neither qualified or willing to do their jobs after 3 hours.

I’m both qualified to do their jobs, and have been doing the job for the best part of 20 years, but you must have missed that part. I did it voluntarily too, and while you might call it foolish, that’s what charity actually means.

I have been asked plenty of times over the years, by my friends, why wouldn’t I set up a charity organisation, and the simple answer I give is that I don’t want to, first of all, because setups like that cost money, and the administration costs are enormous, far more than the pittance these organisations take in from the public (if you’re not counting private donations of hundreds of thousands of euro... having been a fundraising manager and project manager for one of these organisations, I know exactly what goes on), and I know exactly what goes on in the hostels, hotels, “family hubs” and rented accommodation owned and run by these organisations too.

Secondly if I were to set up a similar organisation, then it wouldn’t be a charity, it would be a business. I have no interest in running a business, and it’s not just luck that I know plenty of people who are willing to provide their services voluntarily. I wouldn’t regard any of them as foolish, because that’s what charity is. I was recently contacted by the head of one of these organisations for their annual sleepout, something I’d been involved in for a number of years. As soon as I saw this year it was sponsored, and the business it was sponsored by, I turned them down. The same business sponsoring the event has no qualms about inflicting misery on people who can barely make ends meet. It undoubtedly made plenty of money for the organisations involved though.

Advertisement