Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter McVerry Trust staff and wages

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Fair enough but I honestly don't know what media that is.

Yeah, me too.

Honestly, I don't know anyone with such obscure qualifications and I doubt many people do. This is a common talking point on the right but it doesn't seem to be thought through. The truth is many positions (in the workplace in general) don't need degrees. You certainly wouldn't need a degree to organise a roster; just being organised and conscientious should be enough. Many people I know, including myself, work in a job not directly related to their degree. Mine is in commerce but I work as a programmer. One of the highest earners I know of personally has a degree in philosophy. Life isn't really so cut and dried.

Completely off point, but the person with the obscure Arts PhD will have the skill of precice attention to detail, thoroughness, the ability to absorbe hughe amouts of information, anylize information ect and those skills will stand to them im employment particularly in today world of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Far too many homeless charities here all overlapping all over the place one vying with another in order to come out with the most heartwrenching picture in order to get the most TV time and increase donations to their particular brand. How many are truly homeless (ie those those without a roof over their heads who want a roof over their heads) here and how can it be solved?
    1 amalgamate all these charities and streamline them so there isn't all this overlapping of services. Far too much money spent on admin its a joke almost like its in the "charities" interest to keep the homeless industry going in perpettuity
    2repeal that silly law backed by the greens which outlawed bedsits overnight. These bedsits served a purpose there are many who were quite happy to live in these places (whether we like it or not) sharing a bathroom and living out a solitary existence as long as the accommodation was clean and well maintained
    3 a scheme could be introduced where a foreign national of whom there are many especially in Dublin and Cork who fell on hard times could be paid a one off grant(entirely voluntary) say 3_5k to return to their home countries. It would work out cheaper in the end
    4 a state building programme to provide excellent quality housing for those in need with a 1 offer policy. Either take the property the government provide or take your chances in the rental market with the government paying a portion towards the rent

Under EU law we already have the option to repatriate EU citizens who cannot support themselves in the state back to their country of origin. We don't use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

it's not her job or the job of the organisation to actually solve the problem, that is not their remit and nor should it be.

I heard a homeless charity advert on the radio last week. The tag line was 'help us to end homelessness'.

There's not a single country in the world, at any time in history who have suceeded in 'ending homelessness'. It's a misnomer.

I hate when people say the government needs to 'solve the homeless crisis'. What does that even mean? At what point does it stop being a crisis?

The banking crisis begot the rental crisis, begot the housing crisis, begot the homeless crisis.

I don't doubt that there are many genuine people suffering on our streets today. But a lot of people stand to gain from this crisis. And I don't just mean landlords.

Opposition politicians thrive on these crises. Case in point - the Social Democrat's political stunt this week.

It's difficult to know who is genuinely in need of help and who is gaming the system. If you don't self declare as homeless, you're put to the back of the queue behind the thousands who are now classified as homeless. We're incentivising people to self declare. We've also changed the definition of the word. I was surprised to learn that I was homeless a few years ago. I had no idea.

I walked past a man begging on Baggot Street 2 nights ago. He was barefoot and pleading with people to give him money as he "has no shoes or stocks". The same guy was begging with his girlfriend today in the same spot. Both wearing expensive Nike runners. She was strung out on something.

If I want to help homeless people - genuine homeless people - who should I give my money to? The guy on the street? PMV? It's a minefield. And I'm constantly doubting people's intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

homelessness is a commodity

I ordered my broker to go long on it. It now forms half my entire portfolio.
    Global slowdown is for chumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,689 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I hate when people say the government needs to 'solve the homeless crisis'. What does that even mean? At what point does it stop being a crisis?

The government needs to address houselessness, ie people who are well capable of managing themselves in a home being unable to find a premises to live in.

Homelessness, a different beast, as is a polite word for mental illness (including substance and alcohol abuse) which is so severe that the person cannot manage themselves, far less sustain a tenancy.

Very different things.

• Advertisement

If you look at some of the early attempts to support the homeless leaving aside things like the Guinness trust which was slightly different as it was homes for families although they did have a working man's hostel.

The legion of mary hostel for example or even if you go to the Henrietta st museum a fair amount of people were homeless sleep in the hallway of a tenement building, prostitution was rife as well. It not a new problem it's jsut presented in a different way now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Berserker5

The government needs to address houselessness, ie people who are well capable of managing themselves in a home being unable to find a premises to live in.

Homelessness, a different beast, as is a polite word for mental illness (including substance and alcohol abuse) which is so severe that the person cannot manage themselves, far less sustain a tenancy.

Very different things.

Only some are mentally ill

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I've heard some NGO staff can teleport themselves , are 7 foot tall , breathe fire and never sleep.

Well colette browne certainly never sleeps as she's never off radio or TV pontificating about how various political parties shouldn't risk the electorate voting in numbers for candidates who don't meet her aprooved criteria

She more or less said that very thing in relation to the verona murphy campaign

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Berserker5 wrote: »
    Only some are mentally ill

I would contend that the majority of homeless clients have moderate to severe mental health issues.

I heard a homeless charity advert on the radio last week. The tag line was 'help us to end homelessness'.

There's not a single country in the world, at any time in history who have suceeded in 'ending homelessness'. It's a misnomer.

The banking crisis begot the rental crisis, begot the housing crisis, begot the homeless crisis.

I don't doubt that there are many genuine people suffering on our streets today. But a lot of people stand to gain from this crisis. And I don't just mean landlords.

Opposition politicians thrive on these crises. Case in point - the Social Democrat's political stunt this week.

It's difficult to know who is genuinely in need of help and who is gaming the system. If you don't self declare as homeless, you're put to the back of the queue behind the thousands who are nowclassified as homeless. We're incentiving people to self declare. We've also changed the definition of the word. I was surprised to learn that I was homeless a few years ago. I had no idea.

I walked past a man begging on Baggot Street 2 nights ago. He was barefoot and pleading with people to give him money as he "has no shoes or stocks". The same guy was begging with his girlfriend today in the same spot. Both wearing expensive Nike runners. She was strung out on something.

If I want to help homeless people - genuine homeless people - who should I give my money to? The guy on the street? PMV? It's a minefield. And I'm constantly doubting people's intentions.

As someone says take you ego out of it for a minute, the person you say barefoot they got down on the groud took off their socks and shoes humiliated themselves and abandoned theri dignity to ask for money noboday dose that uless they have something seriously wrong going on in their lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Heard him the other day pulling the heart strings that Santa might not find some kids this year who are in emergency accommodation.

We’re all to feel guilty somehow.

Sorry if the likes of Margaret Cash is in a hotel this year but that certainly ain’t my fault.

Spare me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Berserker5

I would contend that the majority of homeless clients have moderate to severe mental health issues.

Actual Mental illness and Mental health issues intertwined with addiction are different

• Registered Users Posts: 19,967 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

ELM327 wrote: »
    I'm described as a militant atheist by some, I absolutely despise organised religion in all its forms.
    The man is a saint for the work he does and I couldnt have any more praise for him. Homelessness is an issue close to my heart for personal reasons and I can't speak highly enough of anyone who does that work.

I completely agree. I think his great work shows the rest of us that we ought to be better and do more. Some react to that be acknowledging his great work and acknowledging that they ought to do more. Others react by wanting to find fault in him to convince themselves his work isn’t actually great and maybe he’s a dick so I’m doing fine as I am and I don’t actually need to do anything more.

I have said this before however, the thing about the runners and Iphones they are a status symbol there is a homeless culture just the way there is Limerick rugby culture or rural GAA culture and there are the unwritten rules as in every culture.

The runners and phone may well be the only thing they have its also attack as for of defense its the same way as staff often get...only for me you wouldn't have a job response from those they support or the mother in the chipper or take away with 3 children raises her voice as she knows she is being judged. A life time of small humiliation turns in to maladaptive ways of coping.

Heard him the other day pulling the heart strings that Santa might not find some kids this year who are in emergency accommodation.

We’re all to feel guilty somehow.

Sorry if the likes of Margaret Cash is in a hotel this year but that certainly ain’t my fault.

Spare me.

That's another approach - convince yourself the people aren't worth helping anyway do no need to do anything or acknowledge the great work people like PMV do.

That's another approach - convince yourself the people aren't worth helping anyway do no need to do anything or acknowledge the great work people like PMV go.

I don’t think people scamming the system for a free house should be helped.

That’s correct.

I don’t think people scamming the system for a free house should be helped.

That’s correct.

And how can you, personally, tell the ones scamming the system from those who aren't?

Second question: should the ones who aren't scamming the system be helped?

mariaalice wrote: »
    As someone says take you ego out of it for a minute, the person you say barefoot they got down on the groud took off their socks and shoes humiliated themselves and abandoned theri dignity to ask for money noboday dose that uless they have something seriously wrong going on in their lives.

congrats, you're the target

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

His CEO is on 120,000 a year!!!!

120,000 folks.

Another gravy train.

But we dare question the Saint Peter who lectures people who own houses and makes them feel guilty.

Can’t stand the man.

How much do you think a CEO of a charity (we could call it a business as to the CEO it is a business) that employs 500 people and has a budget of 18 million earn?

Or if you think they should earn less where do you think they will find one with the skill set to do the job? If he/ she turns out to be good at it, some non charitable company will want to employ him or her for far more money

Berserker5 wrote: »
    Actual Mental illness and Mental health issues intertwined with addiction are different

they are

but neither of them are "homelessness" as used to get the 10k figure

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Just curious but why are pensions always brought up in these things?
    To whinge for the sake of whinging.

And how can you, personally, tell the ones scamming the system from those who aren't?

I know many families who have scammed the system.

One couple had the fella move home to his mas for 6 months while she and the kids went homeless.

Got a lovely 2 bed apartment and hey presto he’s back living with them.

This is happening every day all over the country but people are naive and think people aren’t so devious to do things like that.

You will say you don’t believe me. That’s fine. All I can do is tell you what I know and it’s up to you to believe me or not.

JJJackal wrote: »
    How much do you think a CEO of a charity (we could call it a business as to the CEO it is a business) that employs 500 people and has a budget of 18 million earn?

Or if you think they should earn less where do you think they will find one with the skill set to do the job? If he/ she turns out to be good at it, some non charitable company will want to employ him or her for far more money

I think they want people with the skills to do the job and who could earn that money elsewhere, to do it for free.

The CEO is just a job. If they don’t pay market rates they won’t get the people capable of going the job.

It’s just nitpicking by people who don’t want to a knowledge they other people are doing great work. The same people wouldn’t have a pop at a CEO in the private sector on the same money or expect them to work for free

As someone who's been spit on, hit, threatened, verbally abused countless times... I'd love to say "yep, out they go, tough luck", but when I take my ego out of the equation, the fact of the matter is: homeless clients are generally deeply, deeply traumatised from early life experiences. Huge rates of mental illness, and exposure to drink and drugs as a child or teenager.
    So while they can be a pain in the ass today, they're trying to deal with the awful stuff they've gone through early in life. If I'd been sexually abused, or seen someone batter my mother, I might want to blot out that pain too, and maybe drug use or alcohol is the only answer. Maybe it caused me to spiral in terms of mental health, and I had to leave my home and sleep on the streets. Homeless, mental health issues... Who's gonna hire me?

It's a real eye opener working in the job, in so many ways.

Are you talking about rough sleepers or the Erica Fleming/Margaret Elizabeth Cash homeless?

I know many families who have scammed the system.

One couple had the fella move home to his mas for 6 months while she and the kids went homeless.

Got a lovely 2 bed apartment and hey presto he’s back living with them.

This is happening every day all over the country but people are naive and think people aren’t so devious to do things like that.

You will say you don’t believe me. That’s fine. All I can do is tell you what I know and it’s up to you to believe me or not.

I believe you. So you know a few people scamming the system. Now, how do you tell the difference between those scamming the system and those who aren’t amongst people you don’t know (assuming the people you know are a tiny fraction of a percentage of the country)

And the second question was whether people who aren’t scamming the system should be helped.

I completely agree. I think his great work shows the rest of us that we ought to be better and do more. Some react to that be acknowledging his great work and acknowledging that they ought to do more. Others react by wanting to find fault in him to convince themselves his work isn’t actually great and maybe he’s a dick so I’m doing fine as I am and I don’t actually need to do anything more.

some lecture the latter.

we've no evidence that they are in the former, but i think we'd all agree that its lovely to be a lovely person, but being a lovely person that is a lovely person without telling everyone that theyre a lovely person and others arent makes you the loveliest person of all.

most people have to expend a fair effort from a young enough age to get what they have- whatever level that is for each person.

they dont appreciate being told that they have to do more to give to those that havent made that effort.

the vast majority of them will accept that there are cases that simply havent the opportunity to look after themselves, but they also know very well that there isnt 10k homeless in the country, that the majority of rough sleepers require drugs and/or mental health treatment, and that theres many with their hands out that could well be working and earning but have long ago decided that wasnt for them

judge that set of opinions all you want, everybody judges everyone, its delicious.

I believe you. So you know a few people scamming the system. Now, how do you tell the difference between those scamming the system and those who aren’t amongst people you don’t know (assuming the people you know are a tiny fraction of a percentage of the country)

And the second question was whether people who aren’t scamming the system should be helped.

People who aren’t scamming the system and fall on hard times like a mother with kids who’s husband has left her etc

Or someone working but genuinely can’t afford somewhere to live and I mean genuinely.

I’m all for helping.

The rest of the forever home Erica Fleming types can walk off a cliff for all I care.

some lecture the latter.

we've no evidence that they are in the former, but i think we'd all agree that its lovely to be a lovely person, but being a lovely person that is a lovely person without telling everyone that theyre a lovely person and others arent makes you the loveliest person of all.

Yeah and I see this a lot. You wouldn’t mind people going the work PMV does as long as he doesn’t tell anyone about it d st o they realise he’s doing great work and they aren’t.

He could tell nobody, no advertising, no publicity, no fundraising or awareness. He could use the few spare quid he has as a private priest and help a homeless person. But then he wouldn’t be able to go all the great work he has done. Charity work needs money, public support, public awareness, high profile, needs to be kept current.

Lots more people have been helped because of the publicity campaigns. It’s just too easy to write it off. If you know about it, it must have had a publicity campaign so it must be bad.

congrats, you're the target

I know but I do not give money, but will ask would they like food or a hot drink and will buy it for them.

I don't know if they can figuer this out, but recently a woman who was a traveler I think, did not ask for money but asked me to buy her bread and milk which I did.

• Advertisement

Yeah and I see this a lot. You wouldn’t mind people going the work PMV does as long as he doesn’t tell anyone about it d st o they realise he’s doing great work and they aren’t.

He could tell nobody, no advertising, no publicity, no fundraising or awareness. He could use the few spare quid he has as a private priest and help a homeless person. But then he wouldn’t be able to go all the great work he has done. Charity work needs money, public support, public awareness, high profile, needs to be kept current.

Lots more people have been helped because of the publicity campaigns. It’s just too easy to write it off. If you know about it, it must have had a publicity campaign so it must be bad.

this is kinda awkward.

i was referring to you.

Advertisement