Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter McVerry Trust staff and wages

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I know many families who have scammed the system.

One couple had the fella move home to his mas for 6 months while she and the kids went homeless.

Got a lovely 2 bed apartment and hey presto he’s back living with them.

This is happening every day all over the country but people are naive and think people aren’t so devious to do things like that.

You will say you don’t believe me. That’s fine. All I can do is tell you what I know and it’s up to you to believe me or not.

have you reported this family to the authorities?
    if you are aware of a family claiming something from the state when they aren't entitled to, then you should report it to the authorities so that they can investigate and take action as this is serious business.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

How do say, Focus and PMVT, two of the largest in Dublin, differentiate? What different groups do they cater for???

PMVT tend to work with the traditional very chaotic homeless providing STA and ONO accommodation along with now family hubs.

Focus provide a lot more supported housing for people moving out of homeless along working around prevention of homelessness, focus work a lot with younger people 18 to 25 group

PMVT and Focus have drop in services , PMVT also provides some treatment services.

They do overlap but also do a lot of interagency work , an example is placement sustainment, I.e. where an individual may be struggling in one type of service and be at risk of losing their bed who might manage better in another service.

Focus do a lot more outreach boots on the street type interaction with rough sleepers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Spot on. 1 charity for homelessness with 1 CEO and 1 advertising budget rather than possibly 10 charities with 10 CEOs and 10 competing advertising campaigns.

Pay the 1 CEO a salary of €200,000 to run this super charity efficiently, and allow more of the donations and government subsidies to go those in need.

okay, so how exactly is this going to be made to happen?
    multiple private organisations, how are you going to force them to merge or whatever?
    organisations that won't all provide the same services.
    You’ve hit the nail on the head. How many “Charities” duplicating the same services? How many of the 10,000 homeless do PMV’s 500 staff support?
    As for the starting salary, it may be Dublin rate, but sure as Hell isnt the rate outside the Pale.
    All this money and still 10,000 homeless. Heads should be rolling.

how and why should heads be rolling given that we already know it's not in the remit of the charities to solve or even end homelessness, but to simply provide services to help and support homeless people, which they do provide?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I work as a social care worker in homeless services , I've a degree in social care along with a background in addiction counselling. I earn around about that 37k.

My position is funded , that means I have to accountable for everything I do along with having outcomes.Its based on statistics and KPIs and that's normal for the vast amount of frontline staff.
    There's no such thing as money being thrown at homeless services hand over fist.

In regards to duplicity , thats a nice new buzz that emanated from a lot of these Facebook charities that appeared in the last few years when they were being challenged about what they were actually doing.

I get ya. I have no gripe with the frontline staff either, they do great work.

BUT surely there’s a lot of savings to be made on the amount of organisations and wages in the higher echelons by amalgamating these charities. There has to be several thousand paid workers and only 11K homeless. So why the need for all these workers, office staff and CEO’s when it could all be streamlined and the money diverted towards a housing scheme for these homeless people.

I’d love to know how much the total funding is for all these separate organisations.

multiple private organisations, how are you going to force them to merge or whatever?
    organisations that won't all provide the same services.

how and why should heads be rolling given that we already know it's not in the remit of the charities to solve or even end homelessness, but to simply provide services to help and support homeless people, which they do provide?

The main services they are providing is to the hundreds Of their Employees on €30,000 plus a year.

• Advertisement

Easy. Cut their funding. "That €20m you used to get and the €15m that went to charity B are now all rolled into one big pot of €35m which is going to new startup 'Govt. Homeless charity C'........no other homeless organisations will receive any backing from taxpayer funds. There are jobs available in this new charity and you are more than welcome to apply, along with all your opposite numbers in the other charities".

• Registered Users Posts: 20,028 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

How do say, Focus and PMVT, two of the largest in Dublin, differentiate? What different groups do they cater for???

Ive no idea. I presume they both do good work. Maybe you could give up your time to work on a merger.

I won’t give up my time to try to improve either charity. I’ll just appreciate that they both do great work and they’re imperfect and I’ll say fair play to everyone involved even if they are imperfect. What will you do?

The CEO for a start. Homelessness is an industry. It thrives on people being classed as homeless. Plenty have been calling for Leo Varadker and his Ministers to be sacked. Yet, the multiple charities are employing almost as many as are homeless. Homelessness is increasing on these CEO’s watch.

So just to clarify, you think the CEO (I presume you’re talking about the PMV Trust CEO) is in direct control
    Over the number of homeless in the country?

I’ll be honest and say I don’t know the KPIs for the PMVT CEO, but I really doubt that they gave enough control over external factors that lead to homelessness.

In 2017 the PMVT had an operational budget of €24 million. Do you think that’s enough to stop more people becoming homeless?

I genuinely think it’s amazing how some people’s minds work. Here’s a charity that does great work (work I wouldn’t like to do) and done people jump straight to looking for the problems. If they can’t find any big problems like corruption or embezzlement, they will just look for smaller and smaller problems. And here we are with yourself who’s found that they haven’t solved the whole problem yet so “heads should roll”.

Shame on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

The CEO for a start. Homelessness is an industry. It thrives on people being classed as homeless. Plenty have been calling for Leo Varadker and his Ministers to be sacked. Yet, the multiple charities are employing almost as many as are homeless. Homelessness is increasing on these CEO’s watch.

Homelessness is increasing on who's watch????
    These "CEOs" are not responsible for policies enacted by the governments over the last 10 years. The country was awash with empty NAMA properties yet they weren't given over to social housing.
    Vulture and cuckoo funds have hoovered up properties and can pay no tax.
    Banks have sold family homes to vulture funds at a discount out from under families who were meeting what the banks wanted yet would not offer these discounts to these families.

I'm finished with this thread and talking to people like you who haven't a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

The main services they are providing is to the hundreds Of their Employees on €30,000 plus a year.

Okay, how in your opinion are charity services supposed to work?
    With all the in-depth explanation provided on who caters what niche doesn't it make sense that it's not that easy to just combine all the charities providing different services?
    Why should a charity not have a CEO? Someone needs to be the head of the operation and 120k is f all money for a CEO with loads of responsibility.
    Charities do the work that the state isn't bothered doing. I have the feeling many people believe that a charity consists mainly of a few donation boxes, a pot of soup and a few bags of donated clothes. It's not, they provide complex services requiring trained staff, this staff requires administration, it requires accounting, payroll and marketing to get funding to be able to provide services. You need people with know how and they need to be paid.

Now here's the thing: the public that donates gets nothing in return but the feeling that they did a good deed. The vast majority doesn't grasp how complex the services are and how difficult the individuals using the services are. If you don't believe in charity work to begin with, there is little anyone can do to convince you because you will never see a return of investment so to speak.
    What you see is: a charity employing people taking care of homeless by giving them soup. What you don't see is the rest: they provide counseling services, intervention services, programs to help people become stable in life. There are many people with issues dipping in and out of homelessness because their lives are an uphill battle and they need long-term help. The state doesn't have these services in the scale needed and relies on private charities to jump in.

I have the feeling people that don't think a lot of charities to begin with, think, because the public is asked to be selfless and charitable and donate money, the staff should be too and provide a full-time job for free. For a charity to work they need money, they only get certain percentages from the state.
    And because most of us live secure and sheltered lives we are so detached from the ones that face a life of struggle and hardship it's easy to kick down and see a big money grabbing conspiracy.
    I appreciate there are crappy charities out there being a borderline scam. But many aren't and what they do is important.

• Advertisement

I get ya. I have no gripe with the frontline staff either, they do great work.

BUT surely there’s a lot of savings to be made on the amount of organisations and wages in the higher echelons by amalgamating these charities. There has to be several thousand paid workers and only 11K homeless. So why the need for all these workers, office staff and CEO’s when it could all be streamlined and the money diverted towards a housing scheme for these homeless people.

I’d love to know how much the total funding is for all these separate organisations.

No harm in commenting.
    This might give an idea of what the various staff employed .

I'm employed as a social care worker, that means I have a caseload of service users i am responsible for , supporting the day to day running of the accommodation unit i work in are both night and day support workers,project workers, maintenance teams , admin , catering and management.
    If you have more than on unit , multiply your teams .

On a higher level you're going to have senior managers, IT, HR,admin ,various types of counsellors and support staff.

Include too ,relief and part-time staff.

All different skillset,roles and salaries.
    That might give you an idea of staffing levels.

Ronin247 wrote: »
    There are 189,000 employees in the charity sector in Ireland. There are approximately 10,000 registered charities. There are 300,000 unpaid volunteers

Homeless charities have approximately 2000 employees, even though there are only a few hundred sleeping rough nationwide.

If the average salary for working in the homeless "industry " is €37,000 then considering there are a lot of families in the numbers, we could probably fund 3 homes at a rent of €1000 per month from each salary, 2000 x 3 homes is 6000 homes..... no more homeless people.

Let me say there are a large number of very good people who work in these charities and I dont wish to tar them all with the same brush but it is an industry.

Where are you renting a home for 1,000 a month?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Easy. Cut their funding. "That €20m you used to get and the €15m that went to charity B are now all rolled into one big pot of €35m which is going to new startup 'Govt. Homeless charity C'........no other homeless organisations will receive any backing from taxpayer funds. There are jobs available in this new charity and you are more than welcome to apply, along with all your opposite numbers in the other charities".

Exactly, the govt could change it tomorrow if they wanted. They are the ones that legislate on charity licenses and provide the grant money.

Sounds great, will I have to work Christmas day ?

So just to clarify, you think the CEO (I presume you’re talking about the PMV Trust CEO) is in direct control
    Over the number of homeless in the country?

I’ll be honest and say I don’t know the KPIs for the PMVT CEO, but I really doubt that they gave enough control over external factors that lead to homelessness.

In 2017 the PMVT had an operational budget of €24 million. Do you think that’s enough to stop more people becoming homeless?

I genuinely think it’s amazing how some people’s minds work. Here’s a charity that does great work (work I wouldn’t like to do) and done people jump straight to looking for the problems. If they can’t find any big problems like corruption or embezzlement, they will just look for smaller and smaller problems. And here we are with yourself who’s found that they haven’t solved the whole problem yet so “heads should roll”.

Shame on you.

Add that 24 million to the millions being used by all the other charities and you’ve got a pretty hefty pot. Then, bring all homeless charities together as one organisation. Immediately savings will be made in the eradication of the duplication of services, offices, etc.

It just beggars belief that of the approximate €25,000,000 operating funds, €20,000,000 goes on staff wages, training, etc.

You're fixated with that 30k .

Starting fulltime salaries where I work are 25k, theres part-time contacts of 16k and relief on an hourly rate.

Obviously team leaders and various managers are paid more.

Add that 24 million to the millions being used by all the other charities and you’ve got a pretty hefty pot. Then, bring all homeless charities together as one organisation. Immediately savings will be made in the eradication of the duplication of services, offices, etc.

It just beggars belief that of the approximate €25,000,000 operating funds, €20,000,000 goes on staff wages, training, etc.

It seems like you’ve got a pretty solid plan there. Now all it needs is someone to dedicate their time and effort to making it happen- the same way people made the PMVT and all the other charities happen.

Be sure to let us know how you get on ... unless you’re just sitting on the sidelines sniping at the ones who actually do the work you like to critique.

Shame on you.

Not when they spunk €15 million of it on wages, no it won't.
    Sounds great, will I have to work Christmas day ?

With a bit of luck, we'll eradicate homelessness altogether and you'll never have to work again! Won't that be fantastic!

With a bit of luck, we'll eradicate homelessness altogether and you'll never have to work again! Won't that be fantastic!

Any timescale of when this plan might happen?

Lol. Spunked on wages. I don’t know about you, but I work for money. What do you in exchange for?

I’m sure that other poster would just get another job same as everyone else in the industry. So what? Industries grow and collapse all the time. People just get new jobs or they don’t. If you’re suggesting the social workers are afraid their careers depend on homelessness and are working to keep people homeless, then I think you’re scratching around for a reason to oppose the great work they’re doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Can't quite tell if some posters are just trolling, or they're unable to grasp what they're being told...

I love the childishly simply solutions put forth; just combine the charities. Just cut the wages.

Easy. Duh.

Can't quite tell if some posters are just trolling, or they're unable to grasp what they're being told...

I love the childishly simply solutions put forth; just combine the charities. Just cut the wages.

Easy. Duh.

I'm looking forward to the mega charity.

Easy. Duh.

If they’re so “charitable” why are they asking for wages? Huh? Answer me that.

Seriously, the urge to diminish the great work these people do is a fascinating aspect of human nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I'm looking forward to the mega charity.

The Simon McVerry dePaul Focus on Helping Homelessness charity? Me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Simple solution let the government assume back responsibility for all the services provided by NGO's and the charity sector. Will be more expensive but once it placates the whingers win win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

I agree, that is quite shocking, it would be bad enough if it was those figures in reverse. @ 30k per head that would be 666 employees...

The Simon McVerry dePaul Focus on Helping Homelessness charity? Me too.

You mean the The Simon McVerry dePaul Focus on Helping Homelessness, maryanne84, $hifty charity.

Since they’re bringing the massive ideas, I Think they deserve to get some recognition.

Any timescale of when this plan might happen?

Tomorrow, teatime.

Or, y'know within the next year or two if we stopped subsidising the various organisations that are creaming it off the homeless industry.
    (1) Lol. Spunked on wages. I don’t know about you, but I work for money. What do you in exchange for?

I’m sure that other poster would just get another job same as everyone else in the industry. So what? Industries grow and collapse all the time. People just get new jobs or they don’t. (2) If you’re suggesting the social workers are afraid their careers depend on homelessness and are working to keep people homeless, then I think you’re scratching around for a reason to oppose the great work they’re doing.

(1) have a read back over my posts in this thread. Nobody is suggesting people work for nothing, in fact I've already indicated I wouldn't do what they do for twice the pay. The fact remains, there are people making a living off the homelessness issue. I have a suspicion that this is partly the reason for our definition of what is considered "homeless" and why it is so out of whack with the rest of the civilised world.

Literally millions is being thrown at this problem, and in the very recent past this wasn't enough to even cover the wages. These charity workers are, essentially, civil servants. There is plenty of room to trim the fat.

(2) Nobody is suggesting that they are keeping people on the streets on purpose, don't put words in my mouth, please. But too many people have a vested interest and are making too much money for it to be solved overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Easy. Duh.

Sure all we do is make cups of tea and hand out blankets. Could probably train a dog to do it for free :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Simple solution let the government assume back responsibility for all the services provided by NGO's and the charity sector. Will be more expensive but once it placates the whingers win win.

Good idea , it could be run like the HSE..... erm no forget bout that, ya know waiting lists, trolleys etc.
    Maybe like the defence forces, no forget that too staffing levels , pay etc.

Advertisement