Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter McVerry Trust staff and wages

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,028 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

People who aren’t scamming the system and fall on hard times like a mother with kids who’s husband has left her etc

Or someone working but genuinely can’t afford somewhere to live and I mean genuinely.

I’m all for helping.

The rest of the forever home Erica Fleming types can walk off a cliff for all I care.

Ok. And how can you tell them apart? Hint- you can’t. I can’t either. So I’ll just support the ones who help the people who need it. If done people get help who could have done without it, big whoop. So fcuking what? There will always be some scammers and that’s no reason to not provide help for those who need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

I work for an organisation that has "Charity" in its name and provides services to vulnerable people.
    The job I do (and get paid for) cannot be done by volunteers, and there are many people in my organisation who would not even work with some of the people I support due to the challenges they present.
    There have been many people I know who have been seriously injured in the course of their work.
    To suggest that services can and should be provided by unpaid volunteers or even lowly paid employees is laughable, but understandable when it comes from people who have zero knowledge of what is entailed.

this is kinda awkward.

i was referring to you.
    Really? But I don’t to do anything special to help charities.

Oh Christ I just got it. Me saying I support people like PMV was enough to render me a bad actor in your eyes. Is that what happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

BDI wrote: »
    Seems Peter McVerry, the little priest with the soup kitchen has 500 staff. 18.6 million a year in wages. Pension contributed too.
    Average wage €37500.

What’s the best charity for percentage that actually goes to the needy? I heard of a pseudo science service provider having a charity before and all the money raised went towards him and his mate doing their pseudo science on people. The accounts seemed to show this.

What’s it all about? Restore my faith in charity on an industrial level.

500 qualified social care workers, social workers, psychologists, psychiatric nurses, occupational therapists, family support workers, HR staff, and others, with level 8 degrees, master's, and in some cases PhDs, providing services for several thousand homeless people, young people in care, families, elderly people and people at risk of homelessness.

How much do you think they should be paid?

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Average 37000 though. Probably entry level at 25k.

Wages start at £31308.
    Which is the HSE paybscqle point 1 for social care workers. All PMVT, Simon, focus Ireland, etc, salaries are tied to HSE pay scales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

500 qualified social care workers, social workers, psychologists, psychiatric nurses, occupational therapists, family support workers, HR staff, and others, with level 8 degrees, master's, and in some cases PhDs, providing services for several thousand homeless people, young people in care, families, elderly people and people at risk of homelessness.

How much do you think they should be paid?

Shaddup you , you're ruining the thread.

BDI wrote: »
    37 k is skilled tradesman/skilled office type money not unskilled work. The average wage is 37k how many are on little and how many are on crazy money. Handy out chickens or cleaning bowls in a soup kitchen is hardly worth 37k a week.

How many of these people on big money are religious/church people or part time people on another full wage sticking in an hour or two a week and heading home with the leftover(preselected) bread rolls and chickens?

It’s soup kitchens they arnt building the houses or teaching the homeless how to build the houses. A vast majority of them staff seem like they wouldn’t be earning 37 and a half grand anywhere else with a pension.

Do you get 37 and a half grand for standing at one of them little tables in the supermarket shaking a bucket?

PMVT don't run soup kitchens.

You have an awfully strong opinion of the salary of workers considering you clearly haven't a ****ing notion what they actually do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I really can’t believe that people think these wages are outrageous.
    There are 2 different things here as far as I can see, people are shocked at the wages and thought that these people should be either not paid or low paid and that really the amount of these charities is not right and surely they could be doing more work if there were less charities with the same amount of money (really there shouldn’t be need for them but that’s a different thing). The first just seems like nonsense but the second I think is probably a real issue.

You need a CEO on 120,000 to hand out a few meals each night and provide beds supplied by the government.

Like what does the job of the CEO involve can you tell me?

120,000 a year.

Give me a break.

He runs a company which employs 500+ qualified professional workers, has a turnover of 27+ million euros per year and provides services for thousands of young people, homeless people, people at risk of homelessness and families weekly.

Find someone qualified who runs a similar sized organisation for cheaper.

People literally haven't a ****ing clue what the company does, what specific staff do, or what wages are compared to other organisations of similar size and still have the confidence to express their opinions as if they're right.

Typical AH.

Lads will be crying soon because they find out that nurses, gardai, Soldiers, Youth Workers, and vets get paid wages too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

salmocab wrote: »
    I really can’t believe that people think these wages are outrageous.
    There are 2 different things here as far as I can see, people are shocked at the wages and thought that these people should be either not paid or low paid and that really the amount of these charities is not right and surely they could be doing more work if there were less charities with the same amount of money (really there shouldn’t be need for them but that’s a different thing). The first just seems like nonsense but the second I think is probably a real issue.

I'm shocked as well that people think these are good wages. We take on Grads. with no experinece probably starting around 33K.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

The Peter McVerry Trust named themselves after Peter McVerry. He doesn't own the organisation.

He started the Arrupe society in 1983, having been providing emergency needs to homeless boys since he started working with them in the 70s. He then handed it over to a board and it became the enormous machine it is now.

Peter McVerry the man works as the social advocate for the Jesuit Centre in Dublin and does not take a salary. He also spends a huge amount of his time in the Dublin prisons providing spiritual and practical supports to prisoners.

He has done and continues to do trojan work. It's important that certain voices exist to critique government policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,692 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Is Eoghan Murphy paying for these threads out of his own pocket or is he putting them down as expenses?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The nastiness I do not get, notwithstanding this I do understand some of the reactions.

If you are some young person from Tallaght say and working in a going now where customer service job in a cube farm being paid 27k, and on the one hand looking at what they consider to be scobies wearing 120 euro runner top-class Superdry clothes and waving an iPhone around who are supposed to be homeless and on the other hand watching some IT head on multiples of what they earn dropping 200 euro on a night out with no problem.

Its bound to make people turn on the society they live in to some extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

mariaalice wrote: »
    The nastiness I do not get, notwithstanding this I do understand some of the reactions.

If you are some young person from Tallagh say and working in a going now where customer service job in a cube farm being paid 27k, and on the one hand looking at what they consider to be scobies wearing 120 euro runner top-class Superdry clothes and waving an iPhone around who are supposed to be homeless and on the other hand watching some IT head on multiples of what they earn droping 200 euro on a night out with no problem.

Its bound to make people turn on the society they live in to some extent.

Having a pop at front line staff is kinda pointless, a bit like slagging nurses for the state of the health service.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Having a pop at front line staff is kinda pointless, a bit like slagging nurses for the state of the health service.

I am not saying it's logical more a tiny bit understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Wouldn't for a second expect anyone in the charities to work for free on a full time basis and don't think that the average wage paid is in any way scandalous.

I would however think there is merit in questioning would having fewer charities mean more efficient spending of funds. i.e. there surely is a lot of admin roles that are being replicated across each charity that could be far better handled from a centralized administration.

I do think it is also a bit disingenuous to bemoan the government in this particular case when it looks like nearly 65% of their total funding is received from the State.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

On a related note is there any way to verify McVerrys story around someone being brought to court over solely the theft of a one euro bottle?

If the claim was made on here there would be people asking for links and evidence, yet the media has lapped it up

I worked in a small shop before(Centra/Mace/Spar style) the owner would arrest people for stealing something worth 20c and hold them in the store for at least hour or until the guards arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Berserker5 wrote: »
    Actual Mental illness and Mental health issues intertwined with addiction are different

As a mental health professional, I'm well aware, and my point still stands. If you want to get specific about it (and it's almost completely redundant to do so), the vast majority of clients I've worked with have received diagnoses of mental health disorders, including substance use disorders as per the DSM-V. Also, it's worth factoring in the significant level of clients with acquired brain injuries and learning difficulties.
    Wages start at £31308.
    Which is the HSE paybscqle point 1 for social care workers. All PMVT, Simon, focus Ireland, etc, salaries are tied to HSE pay scales.

They're not tied to HSE scales. Front line staff hired these days get significantly lower wages.

As a mental health professional, I'm well aware, and my point still stands. If you want to get specific about it (and it's almost completely redundant to do so), the vast majority of clients I've worked with have received diagnoses of mental health disorders, including substance use disorders as per the DSM-V. Also, it's worth factoring in the significant level of clients with acquired brain injuries and learning difficulties.

The learning difficulties is another thing that goes under the rader a bit as well, years ago those with a borderline or slightly below borderline or borderline with anxiety tendency would have got a residential placement with a lot of organisation now not a hope community support or some such is suppose to sort it our after their parent dies or they come out of care.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't for a second expect anyone in the charities to work for free on a full time basis and don't think that the average wage paid is in any way scandalous.

I would however think there is merit in questioning would having fewer charities mean more efficient spending of funds. i.e. there surely is a lot of admin roles that are being replicated across each charity that could be far better handled from a centralized administration.

I do think it is also a bit disingenuous to bemoan the government in this particular case when it looks like nearly 65% of their total funding is received from the State.

Yes there’s merit in that. Particularly the point about duplication. But government relies on third sector organisations to do a lot of its work. It gives them a separation where they get the work done for them and aren’t completely responsible for the work like if they did it directly.

Ideally the whole thing would be handled by government directly and it would be adequately funded and resourced. But in the absence of that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Yeah and I see this a lot. You wouldn’t mind people going the work PMV does as long as he doesn’t tell anyone about it d st o they realise he’s doing great work and they aren’t.

He could tell nobody, no advertising, no publicity, no fundraising or awareness. He could use the few spare quid he has as a private priest and help a homeless person. But then he wouldn’t be able to go all the great work he has done. Charity work needs money, public support, public awareness, high profile, needs to be kept current.

Lots more people have been helped because of the publicity campaigns. It’s just too easy to write it off. If you know about it, it must have had a publicity campaign so it must be bad.

Lets say the disposable income of the people of Ireland is €1,000,000 as an example.

If there is one homeless charity and overheads and wages is €250k, then €750k will go to the people that need it.

If there are 2 homeless charities competing, then €250k will go to those that need it.

4 charities and its down to €0k.

How many homeless "charities" are there currently, even just Dublin based??

They're not tied to HSE scales. Front line staff hired these days get significantly lower wages.

All PMVT wages are tied to HSE pay scales.
    SCWs in PMVT start at .1 on the HSE SCW scale at €31308.
    Relief staff are paid .1 on the same scale pro rota.

The only people who start lower are interns who start at 25k.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I work as a social care worker in homeless services , I've a degree in social care along with a background in addiction counselling. I earn around about that 37k.

My position is funded , that means I have to accountable for everything I do along with having outcomes.Its based on statistics and KPIs and that's normal for the vast amount of frontline staff.
    There's no such thing as money being thrown at homeless services hand over fist.

In regards to duplicity , thats a nice new buzz that emanated from a lot of these Facebook charities that appeared in the last few years when they were being challenged about what they were actually doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    I worked in a small shop before(Centra/Mace/Spar style) the owner would arrest people for stealing something worth 20c and hold them in the store for at least hour or until the guards arrived.

I've no doubt people get arrested for things like that, but would the DPP prosecute?? Surely it would be a complete waste of money, likely be thrown out by the judge and clog up the already overburdened system. I very much doubt they would.

Lets say the disposable income of the people of Ireland is €1,000,000 as an example.

If there is one homeless charity and overheads and wages is €250k, then €750k will go to the people that need it.

If there are 2 homeless charities competing, then €250k will go to those that need it.

4 charities and its down to €0k.

How many homeless "charities" are there currently, even just Dublin based??

I don’t know how many homeless charities there are. But I really don’t think the terrible maths is helping the case. I accept that duplication is bad and economy of scale is good. But the example above is poor for lots of reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

All PMVT wages are tied to HSE pay scales.
    SCWs in PMVT start at .1 on the HSE SCW scale at €31308.
    Relief staff are paid .1 on the same scale pro rota.

The only people who start lower are interns who start at 25k.

Allow me to correct myself then... I don't work for PMVT, and our organisation doesn't adhere to HSE payscales. Our starting front line workers get about €26k. I'm glad to hear that PMVT pays more, as from what I understand, they have an even more difficult position due to their own organisational policies.

• Site Banned Posts: 135 ✭✭Sloppy_Joe

eviltwin wrote: »
    I work for a homeless charity. Not this one but a similar one. Am I expected to work for free? I work hard, I get abuse from service users, I've been physically attacked, I work at night, weekends and over Christmas. If people don't get paid who would bother doing it.

What would you work as if you were out of a job?

I work as a social care worker in homeless services , I've a degree in social care along with a background in addiction counselling. I earn around about that 37k.

My position is funded , that means I have to accountable for everything I do along with having outcomes.Its based on statistics and KPIs and that's normal for the vast amount of frontline staff.
    There's no such thing as money being thrown at homeless services hand over fist.

In regards to duplicity , thats a nice new buzz that emanated from a lot of these Facebook charities that appeared in the last few years when they were being challenged about what they were actually doing.

On 37k and you’ve to account for all the work you do and meet KPIs? Sounds like you’re on the gravy train, mate.

Seriously though, it sounds like you have a normal enough sounding job with targets and reasonable expectations in remuneration. I don’t get the hostility towards people working in charities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

On 37k and you’ve to account for all the work you do and meet KPIs? Sounds like you’re on the gravy train, mate.

Seriously though, it sounds like you have a normal enough sounding job with targets and reasonable expectations in remuneration. I don’t get the hostility towards people working in charities.

Probably cane from the exposure of widespread fraud in Ireland in charities a few years ago?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thesun.ie/news/3639258/ ex-charity-chief-paul-keppy-quizzed-dawn-swoop/amp/

The former CEO — suspected of swindling €600,000 from suicide helpline Console between 2012 and 2014 — was driven from his luxury pad in Clane, Co Kildare, early yesterday morning

One example of many.

Not saying they are all the same just showing why people might be suspicious.

Advertisement