Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter McVerry Trust staff and wages

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

BDI wrote: »
    Average wage €37500.

Underpaid if so.

Any comment on the senior bankers on literally a 1 million a year for destroying our economy? They were literally handed billions as a reward for utterly failing in the jobs they were supposed to be actually doing. They literally destroyed their own banks and our entire economy due to their own greed, recklessness, stupidity. They almost sunk the entire country.

Nah, didn't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,829 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

anewme wrote: »
    This is a very mean spirited thread.

Taking swipes to point score or sneer at people working at the coal face of homelessness and all the challenges it brings indicates a person of low integrity.

I don't know.

I just don't like when people are paid in any way in a charity.

I bet there are 1000s of people out their doing genuine volunteering.

if people are getting paid in the homelessness industry, it should be called out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

anewme wrote: »
    This is a very mean spirited thread.

Taking swipes to point score or sneer at people working at the coal face of homelessness and all the challenges it brings indicates a person of low integrity.
    people who make a businees and career out of it are lower

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

I’m both qualified to do their jobs, and have been doing the job for the best part of 20 years, but you must have missed that part. I did it voluntarily too, and while you might call it foolish, that’s what charity actually means.

You have a degree in applied social sciences and work in a homeless service, for free, and have done for 20 years?

Yeah I'm calling bull**** on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭corner of hells

This might be controversial.

But how many people are on the street by their own choice ?

Like if you have a drug addiction etc ,?

There was an add on tv showing a typical irish family walking around Dublin City centre then getting into a tent, that just doesn't add up for me. There are formal services for a family like that.

Then the food kitchens on o'Connell street and Grafton Street , what are they actually about ?

If we are investing so much in homelessness, why are people eating on the street. A very uncivilized way to feed people. There are 100s of suitable buildings.

I'm not a fan of turning the two most important streets in Dublin to a homeless centre.

I know controversial, but citizens are entitled to their city too. Law and order is out of hand in inner city.

I thanking you because these food kitchens are a pain in the bollix.

If I'm right they seem to have manifested around the time of Apollo house.
    Prior to that there was soup/hot drinks provided by I think Focus outreach staff who would assist in sourcing a bed,provide sleeping bags and occasionally clean paraphernalia. Their remit was chronic roughsleepers .
    Traditionally in Dublin ,there has always been hot food provided by MQI, Focus , Brother Luke's, Penny Dinners, Mendicity along with a couple of community cafes.
    No-one ever starved.

I've heard these Facebook soup runs say food is not provided in hostels or is low quality, bare faced lies.

If you think back to before they manifested theres was loads of people not starving to death on the streets.

I'm also aware some of them provide clothing that's religiously collected by some attendees, laundered and then sold on back to second hand clothes shops.

• Advertisement

I don't know.

I just don't like when people are paid in any way I charity.

if people are getting paid in the homelessness industry, it should be called out.

Explain how you staff full-time residential services with qualified professionals, without paying them?

Because someone has a degree in social care they should work for free?

Are people really this ****ing stupid?

Prior to that there was soup/hot drinks provided by I think Focus outreach staff who would assist in sourcing a bed,provide sleeping bags and occasionally clean paraphernalia. Their remit was chronic roughsleepers .
    Traditionally in Dublin ,there has always been hot food provided by MQI, Focus , Brother Luke's, Penny Dinners, Mendicity along with a couple of community cafes.
    No-one ever starved.

I've heard these Facebook soup runs say food is not provided in hostels or is low quality, bare faced lies.

If you think back to before they manifested theres was loads of people not starving to death on the streets.

I'm also aware some of them provide clothing that's religiously collected by some attendees, laundered and then sold on back to second hand clothes shops.
    always someone on the make

always someone on the make

Creative ingenuity, in saying that , it's used to buy heroin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I don't know.

I just don't like when people are paid in any way in a charity.

So you feel that the people required for this work (who have sunk in the dedication, time and money to earn at least a degree, if not a masters or above) should do it for free?

Why? And how do you expect them to pay off student loans, food, living expenses and most ironically, their own rent?

No-one ever starved.

This exactly, was looking at one recently and it was just attract dodgy characters.

Should ban them and food available in sensible locations.

its actually encouraging street life as opposed to helping homeless.

I want my city back.

• Advertisement

people who make a businees and career out of it are lower

Yeah , if you collect a salary as a social care worker, you're a low life.

Damn right.

Wait, someone tell the staff cooking dinners in hostels they aren't supposed to, quick.

Last time I checked hostels provide rotating menus based on residents preferences Monday - Saturday and a roast meat dinner every Sunday, as well as a stocked fridge and cupboard for residents to cook breakfasts, lunches, and snacks as they wish.

But hey, if the "wot about de homelezz*" crowd say differently, they must be right.

Wait, someone tell the staff cooking dinners in hostels they aren't supposed to, quick.

Last time I checked hostels provide rotating menus based on residents preferences Monday - Saturday and a roast meat dinner every Sunday, as well as a stocked fridge and cupboard for residents to cook breakfasts, lunches, and snacks as they wish.

But hey, if the "wot about de homelezz*" crowd say differently, they must be right.

Will you shut the fcuk up.

Will you shut the fcuk up.

Excuse me , we have a chef.
    Daft bastard he is.

Explain how you staff full-time residential services with qualified professionals, without paying them?

Because someone has a degree in social care they should work for free?

Are people really this ****ing stupid?

no need to be so aggressive.

my own mother and women in st vincent de paul (for an example), did work feeding people for free for years .

Yes there has to be facilities fofvwhat you describe, but should be state run . Not charity based.

Excuse me , we have a chef.
    Daft bastard he is.

I'm now replying to myself.

my own mother and women in st vincent de paul (for an example), did work feeding people for free for years .

Yes there has to be facilities fofvwhat you describe, but should be state run . Not charity based.

SVdP do great work , but you need to by mindful of the fact that an experienced social care worker will be looking after a case load of people addressing multiple needs , not just handing out a meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You have a degree in applied social sciences and work in a homeless service, for free, and have done for 20 years?

Yeah I'm calling bull**** on that.

One doesn’t need a degree in applied social sciences to work in any of the roles I mentioned above.

Calling bullshìt on something you made up? I’d be calling bullshìt on it too tbh.

SVdP do great work , but you need to by mindful of the fact that an experienced social care will be looking after a case load of people addressing multiple needs , not just handing out a meal.

sorry its a complex topic.

but my basic point, is ban food kitchens in city.

crazy **** , Grafton Street and O'Connell street.

Yeah , if you collect a salary as a social care worker, you're a low life.

Damn right.
    agree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,036 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Have you read the thread?

Call a state of crisis. Streamline all charities into one. Vote in one CEO and one board.

Economies of scale. Create a monopoly. Argue prices with service and good suppliers as well as staff to get costs right down.

Use saved money on actually providing housing for homeless in big abandoned buildings in cheaper parts of the country like abandoned hotels in abandoned tourist towns. Use saved money to have a doctor and psychologist staff available to people who need it not try to provide one to each ten bed hostel in town but to two and three hundred room hotels.

Let’s end homelessness.

would not be possible and would be unviable even if it was.
    it would also be probably unlikely to save very much in reality either.
    You think I should volunteer but you won’t take a pay cut?

The entitlement.

indeed, the entitlement is from you and others rather then him.
    it would be unviable for already not so well paid staff to take pay cuts to suit the unrealistic expectations of a few random posters on boards.ie

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

sorry its a complex topic.

but my basic point, is ban food kitchens in city.

crazy **** , Grafton Street and O'Connell street.

Yup, they're a pain in the hole.

Yup, they're a pain in the hole.

why ? for you

Did they do 25 hour shifts with 25 residents and 2 staff? Administer medications, do key work and progression work for residents? Did they have to regularly have to worry about needle sticks and wear sharps gloves when doing their regular duties? How often did them have to inject noloxone into the thighs of overdosing residents to save their lives? How many times did they have to travel in ambulances or sit in A&E for 14 hours with sick or suicidal residents?

Social care staff don't just sit there spooning out bowls of soup FFS. They are specialized qualified professionals with level 8 degrees who's practice is informed by decades of social science theory who provide a service most of the general public wouldn't do for twice the wages because they feel like it's a service that needs to be provided and are willing to step up and deliver it.

Social care is, hands down, one of the most difficult, underpaid, and under appreciated professions imaginable.

agree

Have you read much of the thread ?

I'm a social care worker.
    I've the usual trappings of a modern lifestyle, mortgage, Bill's, kids , car etc .
    My salary pays my way.

Did they do 25 hour shifts with 25 residents and 2 staff? Administer medications, do key work and progression work for residents? Did they have to regularly have to worry about needle sticks and wear sharps gloves when doing their regular duties? How often did them have to inject noloxone into the thighs of overdosing residents to save their lives? How many times did they have to travel in ambulances or sit in A&E for 14 hours with sick or suicidal residents?

Social care staff don't just sit there spooning out bowls of soup FFS. They are specialized qualified professionals with level 8 degrees who's practice is informed by decades of social science theory who provide a service most of the general public wouldn't do for twice the wages because they feel like it's a service that needs to be provided and are willing to step up and deliver it.

Social care is, hands down, one of the most difficult, underpaid, and under appreciated professions imaginable.

You're bringing a tear to my eye.

It can be, depending upon a number of factors. It can also be an incredibly cushy number for a few people.

I’d say the same of any profession btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

This.

This is the reality.

You're bringing a tear to my eye.

I haven't even mentioned dealing with lads ****ting/pissing themselves, dying on shift, assault, verbal abuse, threats of assault, having to work with lads you know have convictions for God knows what and are a risk of re-offending... And the rest..

Don't be me started on doubles of back to backs /tears.

• Advertisement

This.

This is the reality.

It’s one person’s perspective is all. Social care is a vast area with many different career paths.

Advertisement