Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post Mobile

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

It won't happen to prepaid as people will start changing plus people will have auto topups arranged.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 urbancowboy

Has anybody had any roaming issues lately? Have been in the UK & Spain the past few weeks and data has been almost unusable. Very low speeds on both occasions. Frequently had to toggle airplane mode to try reconnect. Work phone is VF and that connects no problem with decent speeds. Worked fine last year using the same iPhone. Only difference would have been the iOS updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭deezell

Briefly, in the Netherlands a few months back my data was dismal on arrival, but I quickly established that I had been connected to T mobile, iirc, I manually scanned and found Vodafone, connected and was flying after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 urbancowboy

I was connected to Vodafone UK & Spain. Was showing 4g but when you tried to access data it kept saying there was no internet connection. Getting 1Mbps download speeds. It was very frustrating. At times it would take 10 mins to connect.

You could ask care@anpostmobile.ie , they're reasonably quick to respond, they should be able to check logs to see if any flags were raised with your roaming connection. They had an issue back on the 20th March where data connections here were denied though calls/text were fine, they responded to me that it was an IT issue. Sometimes popping sim out and in can reset missing AP settings.

• Advertisement

Abroad last few days in EU and no issues, worked grand. Been overseas in EU and UK (4 diff countries over last few weeks) and works perfectly each time.

The 25Gb roaming is nice, the only advantage to the downgrade last year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Just back from the UK. I’m on Vodafone and herself on An Post. No issues with both phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Got an An Post Mobile sim today Vodafone mast across road from me speeds shockingly slow I mean 1 meg download similar up...

Their support were fast enough replying.. they seem to think SIM could be faulty...voice and sms are fine...anyone else getting similar speed issues?

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

Check your Mobile Data Type in Settings. If your phone is a Samsung, it's in Settings/About Phone/Status/Sim card Status/Mobile Data network type. Similarly for other brands.

See if it's LTE, or if it's only connecting as HSUPA for data, and UMTS for voice/text (3g). This was an issue back on the 20th march, no data, read a few posts back. It cleared for me after removing the sim, rebooting phone and inserting the sim live. It triggered a push notification for the phones AP settings, which restored LTE (4g) as the connection. If that fails go to a post office that has Postmobile service available, they'll register a new sim on the spot, and you can pop it in your phone and check the data connections type.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Also check data roaming didn’t toggle off as it does sometimes when you change sims.

• Advertisement

My phone ( Vodafone) and herselfs phone An Post

Both on the sane 4G masts. Speeds aren’t great this eve.

vodafone : 10 mbs

an post : 2.5 mbs

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭rhinosaurious

Vodafone could have more than 10mbs, it’s might be the plan your on. Worth checking

Post edited by rhinosaurious on

Anyone getting really slow data speeds today?

A few days ago, yes. On WiFi 99%, so don't always notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Ben Done

Yeah I signed up last month, thinking I'd be getting the same as Vodafone I had, and it's been mostly fine, but today the data was just terrible.

Got the first month free for switching but today was the first day I had to top up. Not sure if it was a coincidence but I'll be looking to switch again if this continues...

It can be flaky where I live but getting 16mb/9mb down/up this morning. Which is fine. I only had 15kb one day in Naas last week, just a glitch I'd say. A reboot often does to sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭LillyIsland

Data not working at all today in Dublin

A bit flaky in the Aviva, but 44,000 seated or holding up the bar, that's a lot of mobiles in the one spot, sending trivial images of their seat view like this, not that I would of course..

I'm thinking of jumping ship. I moved from gomo 3 years ago when reveption was gone poor in my area but now, friends on eir/gomo and also three say between their 4G and 5G, it's much improved in the countryside and PM is just having too many slow internet days again.

If it doesn't work out, I can just move back with my tail between my legs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭LillyIsland

Apologies, had my auto top up set to the wrong day. Was actually out of credit!

Nice view! I'm always pondering that Q, shouldn't high density spots be able to cope with traffic? Surely vast majority in Aviva aren't using videos etc so shouldn't be huge traffic?

Shouldn't be an issue the way phones connect to the mast signal these days, it's all highly multiplexed. I remember once trying to locate and pick up one of mine after a 'Wittness' gig in Fairyhouse, pre data days, mobile traffic overwhelmed the masts, impossible to get a line, but texts saved the day, they'd ping eventually

Compare 4 and 5G by map here.

https://coveragemap.comreg.ie/map

I note none of the MVNOs have 5G on their map, but that may be out of date.

Gomo only has 5G on their 15 euro plan and it uses same APN as eir so I'm assuming eir and gomo is same 5G.

Lyca is only other one with 5G but their data is always slow through their apn

Cheers, checked there and GoMo coverage looks good where I live, Eir used to be patchy but it's good few years since I was with them..

Just switched to them there from next month and putting move from Vodafone to AnPost down as a bad idea - presumed there'd be no difference from VF but couple of days of crappy data was enough for me .

Should have 5g where I work as a bonus and all..

Don't move to gomo until tomorrow. The activation fee is valid until 1st of next month so best time to get it is start of a new month.

I'll order mine tomorrow and test it out before I move my number before my next topup. Eir seems to have invested heavily in infrastructure since I left.

Prob with PM and to a similar degree Lyca, 48, Tesco, clear is that they process their own data, calls etc. So while you might have same coverage and reception, you won't experience the same usability. PM has been good bar the longer ping times but the data is slowing too frequently lately. People on 48 and lyca would say similar. Gomo uses same APN as eir so there should be no difference. Clear uses a different apn to VF for some reason

^ah right darn it, didn't cop that..

I'll just put it down to the free first month I got from AnPost, and the fact that going forward, my bill will still be less than half I was giving VF!

Let us know if gomo lives up to your expectations and I'll do likewise.

• Advertisement

^actually, don't think it'll matter - I'm moving on 28th of next month, as that's when I'm paid up to with AP, so I shouldn't be charged twice, just the one off activation fee, then my monthly bill on the 28th of each month?

Advertisement