Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post Mobile

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,627 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Same here. Don't need the big speeds but need it to be useable when I need it. Definitely was that at the start. Not lately though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Tork

Yeah I'm disappointed it went so badly downhill. AP of old was perfect for what I wanted. I take it as a given that when you go to an MVNO, you won't get the speeds that customers of the mothership will get. What I valued was the Vodafone coverage and the steady consistency it used to offer. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread with interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭deezell

The speed restoration is holding firm for me at any rate. Pulling 15Mbs, and on a marginal strength signal with only one bar. I hadn't even noticed my fone WiFi was off the other night, I was watching an HD movie from iplayer lying in the bed, it never faltered. Maybe they only improved things for those who badgered them with whiney email complaints!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Tork

I did that and got the standard "we're aware of the problem, our engineers are fixing it" reply. I'm liking replies like this though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Same as deezell, no issues to report. I'd barely notice wifi off vs on.

• Advertisement

Going strong so I'm back to recommending PM. After testing 48, found it quite variable in comparison.

Mines improved a lot. It's been useable almost everywhere. The Eir sim (meteor) is a lot faster almost everywhere though.

Only dead spot now is the work building. No signal in the majority of it whereas the Eir does.

Kinda of surprising.

If eir is better, then you should go gomo.

Seems like best bets are PM or gomo or three hero, each one 15 or under. Wouldn't go near 48 with roaming issues when mothership is same price now more or less.

Tesco Naas today.

I presume everyone got this:

"From 18 October your data allowance is changing from 50GB a month when you top up €15 to 25GB a month. Alternatively, you can now top up just €18 a month to get unlimited data, calls and texts. Last month, you used 3.4 GB of data. Please visit our website for more information"

I'd imagine this will p¡ss off quite a few people. It's a case of "we'll half what you're paying for, unless you agree to a 20% price increase"

• Advertisement

I'd probably never get close to either cap but I'm not even on the network 12 months and they've changed the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

The €15 plan was already called "unlimited", when it was actually limited to 50GB and soon to be 25GB.

So the €18 plan is "totally" unlimited then, oh wait, no it's actually limited to 120GB

"**Fair Use Policy - €18 Plan

In the Republic of Ireland: A Fair Use Policy of 120GB data, 3,000 minutes and 3,000 texts for the 28-day period succeeding your top up applies."

https://www.anpost.com/Mobile/18-Euro-Plan-Terms

Does anyone know what the point of the regulator is at this stage, plan terms are meaningless if they allow these significant alteration of allowances to legacy plans.

Other providers have reduced call minutes and SMS allowances in legacy plans but AFAIK this is the first provider to change data allowances like this.

IMO anyone affected should make a formal complaint to PM about this.

I've never looked closely at the t&c of the contract, such as it is. It's probably a rolling monthly one, so every month is a new agreement. 50GB was a cap on the 'unlimited' data you were supposed to get. That would be good enough for home broadband in many cases, perhaps too many were hotspotting off the sim. For €18 you get 'unlimited', but is that also 50GB? EDIT. I see it's 120. I've never used even 5GB in a month, even with Android auto/Google maps/Spotify streaming in my car, I can use it without worrying, with 25GB/month.

Regulator? What's that?...😂

Sly and strange move.

But.....I never use 25 a month and it's still way cheaper than VF for a VF product. It's still the best useable value for me and probably plenty more.

I note that it'll be a legacy product and hence can't sign up to it as new customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭bronkobilly

hot spotting is useless with postmobile never can get it to work going to three wen month is up better deal an only 15 euro

I just done a Speedtest there, then hotspotted it, connected the laptop. Decent enough transfer.

Are you using an IPhone? Is that issue still there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

I have had enough of AP. The final straw is the pay more or have a lesser product when using them has been painful for the past two months! They have enough cheek for two @rses!

Signed up for 3 Prepay Hero today, porting over on Saturday. Just need a new 5G phone to get the most from it!

I ported away as well. Too often it was leaving me with no data signal.

That Three offer sounds great and had me interested, but their webpage is very contradictory. Why do you need a €5/ month 5G access add on if its meant to be Free? Is the Data allowance actually unlimited, 13GB or only 1GB? , and is this on 5G? There's an asterisk next to "All you can eat 5G Data" on the web page, but no explanation of this further down. It also say '5G Add on avaliable' in pink letters. I detest misleading ads, and if you read the links to 'prepay price guide' , 'prepay plan terms' and 'prepay booster' it states clearly that data is 1GB? https://www.three.ie/pdf/three_prepay_plans_terms_and_conditions.pdf paragraph 4.

The 3 Prepay 15 Plan includes Unlimited Any Network Minutes, 1GB of Data for use in Republic of Ireland and the EU (when roaming in the EU) & 60 Any Network Texts(collectively called the “Plan Benefits”) for €15 Top Up

This 1Gb allowance is also restated in their prepay pricing links.

Topping up is 13 times per year, but any top up of €15 before the 28 days resets the clock. Wtf? I'm totally confused, it looks like an anxiety fest. I'd need certainty of what I was getting. I'll stick with AP for the moment. EU Roaming works flawlessly abroad, and for all numbers, not just Vodafone mobile. I could ring restaurants, hotel, Uber etc. Without international nos. add on. ( I'd need it from home, but I can use landline allowance). I haven't had to add a cent to my AnPost plan in almost two years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Cork981

You’re looking at the wrong plan. Three prepay hero is the plan on offer.

It’s €15 for unlimited 5G and 13GB of roaming data. The €5 add on isn’t required on this plan.

My only problem is the lack of Wi-Fi calling on iPhone.

Looked again, It came up on a different search, listed under the 15 plan. Why would they list such an inferior plan over the new offer. It still only says 5G enabled, it's not clear if your 'All you can eat' data are served over 5G, as you are still offered the 5G booster for €5/month, not for extra data, but to get your allowance via 5G.

Upgrade your data to 5G (requires 5G phone & coverage) €5.00

AYCE data is not much use at 3g speeds or capped 4G.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Cork981

It’s working fine for me getting good 5G speeds around the place.

The my3 portal shows data as unlimited. Id say the hero plan offer will be removed eventually to it makes sense to leave the existing plans in place.

I dont look at the fine print so am oblivious to most of what you said. 🤣

The poster said €15 for 5G unlimited data, i'll try it as AP data speeds are useless for me!

I was curious if they were genuinely offering 5G speed and unlimited data, or else some speed restricted version over 5G, with a data cap. AP were 'Unlimited ', but that actually meant 50GB. I'd like to know what speeds you could get under this plan, and what the fair usage cap is. At €15 for high speed and unlimited data you could scrap your wired broadband and tether all your home appliances off a fixed cheap 5G phone. My rural "fibre to the cabinet" is 30MBS, fast enough for most stuff, but at €47/month (including voip landline) you start to wonder if you'd be better off with a mobile connection.

I would reckon it is max 100gb before throttling kicks in but my last month home broadband usage was 2,480.68 GB so it wouldnt last very long in my house!

Post edited by branners69 on

Postmobile have said that the revised €15 plan will have a roaming allowance of 25Gb.

So both plans get the exact same calls, minutes and roaming data allowance, only difference is home data allowance €15 = 25Gb; €18 = 120Gb.

Thats €3 for an extra 95Gb, which values the 25GB they docked from our plan at 79cent. This proves that the data value and usage is relatively meaningless, it's all about extracting a 20% increase in revenue, by making you feel uncomfortable about your plan, and driving some heavy users over the 25GB threshold. We're not cherished customers, we're a set of data fed into an algorithm with the request, "raise revenue by 10 or more %".

My house insurance renewal jumped 19%, company smugly said it was inflation in building costs, so I pointed out that on my renewal quote, my rebuild sum insured was the same as last year, premium is pro rata to risk cost covered, so no rise unless they increase this by 19% also. F***g bean counters would take the shirt of your back, then look for the spare buttons.

We are all just profit, you are correct. But you'd drive yourself bananas overthinking it.

I'm staying on 25Gb and I wouldn't use 25Gb in a month, the months is a month and vodafone network is still best for me in rural Ireland where I spend a lot of time.

At least PM aren't as greedy as VF themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Just heard a PM radio ad for the €15 plan with 50GB....sign up today and allowance gets cut in half before the SIM arrives...very misleading ad

Advertisement