Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post Mobile

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭rhinosaurious

Been on Eir/GoMo myself for a while, as of the recent they’re blasting up and upgrading new masts absolutely everywhere. Serious heavy investments. Really good coverage and speed, on top of that VoLTE & WiFi calling. Catching up, ahead of Vodafone & 3 now I’d say..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭KildareP

One off activation fee for the current month then you are billed on the 1st thereafter.

Thus, if you signed up today you pay €15 activation for May then €15 on 1st June, 1st July, etc.

If you sign up on 28th May you still pay €15 activation for May then €15 on 1st June, 1st July.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,630 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I don't think the 15 limited plan with activation fee is competitive any longer with things like 48/gomo.

You (at least I did) go to an post mobile thinking you'll piggyback the Vodafone network and get more robust signal. My experience was it was slightly better for calls but far worse for data. Doesn't seem to have fixed it's intermittent issues with data.

I don't want bill shock on a limited plan. Some plans are giving 5g for 20 which is too close to the 18 to make that attractive.

I moved off AP and moved us all to VM initially at 5 per month now 15. Basically the same as AP 18 plan. Still have one person on AP 15. Probably go to gomo/48 when our current vm deal ends.

Really feel AP is getting low priority on the Vodafone network.

Deezell thanks for all your help though. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭deezell

I only use my data sitting in the car while herself shops, and only had that one data blackout a few months ago, which recovered after inserting sim in an old phone, then back in my own which triggered a settings push notification from AP. Other main data use would be Android Auto in the car, great to have live Google maps instead of crappy car sat nav, a bit of Spotify music, and hands free WhatsApp receiving and sending, messages read out and replies using speech to text. Super nerdy fun, but only when alone. This kind of plaything really irritates swmbo, I can't think why 😬.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,410 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I tried 48 and found it quite poor. If you can get threes 15 euro prepay offer when it comes around again then it's a good deal as it includes 5G and doesn't use that nasty liffeytelecom apn.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Ben Done

Grand, cheers.

Just cancelled my order and I'm going to switch asap this month instead of the 28th I'd originally set.

Better idea anyway as don't want another month of sh1tty AnPost data

Reporting back as have trialled my gomo sim for 2 days

I left gomo 2.5 years ago as I spend a good amount of time in rural environments and the reception had become quite unusable. You couldn't even take a call at times.

How things have changed. I'm getting reception all the time, never dips below 3G and usually 4G. There's a nice bit of 5g in villages but speed is no better than 4G.

For the same money as PM, I'm moving to gomo. Feels more reliable, 5G works well in towns (got 500 down in one town) and it's doing what I liked about PM initially - the ability to stream music or make calls in car, something pm was struggling with lately.

Wifi calling and volte is another bonus along with the generous allowance.

Don't you have to be a teenager or a breakdancer or something to sign up to gomo?

If things break when I dance isn't that the same thing...

• Advertisement

Just to update, the porting was a mess, took 4 days to sort. But working now.

Glad I moved. Reception is very good, data feels far more reliable (got 1Gig download in one spot but what use is that on a phone but overall, I haven't had a data blackspot) and their dashboard is good. I'd have no reason to regret my decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Cork981

Eir are investing massively improving the network. I’ve identified 3 new eir masts around Cork city in the last two weeks. These aren’t live yet but will make a big difference once live.

Those are just sites I’ve stumbled upon and not on comreg site viewer yet.

And I know if another two sites with planning approved and another pending approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Ben Done

Thanks for the advice, my port to GoMo was seamless, and customer service was excellent allowing me to cancel the original order and move sooner.

Getting 5g at work and at the home place, just H+ at my place but steady enough for browsing, and I've the WiFi and Vodafone always on dongle if broadband ever goes down anyway.

Overall, delighted to have left AnPost

I'll stick with AP. Gives me live Google maps with traffic on the car Android auto, as well as Spotify. The Vodafone coverage when abroad is just too good also. I watched the 2nd half of the Real/City match Tuesday evening on RTE player while lounging, it was rights restricted abroad on Player, but a simple VPN to my home router meant I'm effectively at home, tunnelling via Vodafone, and it was flawless. My other half always has issues with her Tesco mobile roaming.

This was something last year that annoyed me in the Canaries. I could only roam on Vodafone and it was obvious the speed was throttled, I could only get 2-3Mb. Had a proper vodafone phone and no issue with roaming speed.

I used to be in the same mindset as yourself whereby vodafone reception was king in rural areas etc. That does not appear to be the case anymore. You can get a gomo SIM for €15 at start of a month and you could test run it. Cancel by the end of the month to avoid being billed or else move your number over.

Tesco seems to have years of roaming trouble, same with 48 and it doesn't seem to be getting sorted.

Post edited by TheDriver on

Hmm, I left Eir as much for their basement level support (they came bottom in 2021, two under Ryanair, some achievement), as well as their less than fringe 4G signal where I live. Their 5G seems much better here on the comreg map, and I assume that €15 monthly means a month, not 4 weeks?. That only leaves roaming, which is only a minor issue. 15GB roaming limit surely enough as long as you're not streaming daily without WiFi abroad, Gomo do have several paragraphs warning about low speeds, latency, restrictions etc when roaming. Sure I might grab a sim and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I've just discovered I can't text a STOP message to a five digit number to opt out of unwanted annoying messages from a retailer.

Apparently An Post Mobile treats them as premium numbers and doesn't allow their usage.

Can anyone recommend a similar-priced provider allowing texts to 5 digit numbers? I'm on the €15 per month tariff.

Thx for any suggestions.

How did you subscribe to this service? You could stick a euro in your AnPost account, that will activate texting to the number, which should be zero cost anyway, and you'll have your euro toward your next month if you topup by another 14 on the day. ( I'm not sure if the min topup is €5, but the same logic applies).

I think you're incorrect there, it must be in one go (top up) and it automatically starts a new month. So if you topup by 15, you get a months 15 benefits, 18 gets you those benefits.

GoMo: they bill on 1st of the month. re 5G, you'll find the 5G is more 4G to be honest but still gives usable speeds.

Thats interesting. If you don't have an automatic topup by direct debit, does AP not just pull €15 from your balance? They'd hardly cut your data/calls if you had 15squid credit? My debit card date expired and I was cut off, but with two days grace. The software for registering a new card, or deleting/updating the old, was glitchy, so I ended up adding €15 manually, and that restored my allowances, for 28 days. A few days later the card reg software behaved itself, so I deleted old, registered a new card, setup auto topup and set the monthly renewal date to the end of the 28 days. That was February, so I'm a couple of days up on the renewal date.

• Advertisement

I'd imagine that once your plan runs out, it'll start using your €15 credit when you make a call or use data.

I originally spoke with An Post customer service about not being able to text 5-digit numbers and they advised me to do a manual top-up of €15 to cover the cost of premium numbers which they promised I could use as credit if I decided to change provider.

This proved to be incorrect as confirmed by a subsequent call to Cust. support. An Post don't support Premium numbers, and now I'm receiving unwanted promotional texts from a few sources and of course I have no way to text STOP to their 5-digit numbers. Not a huge issue but annoying nonetheless.

I pay a monthly direct debit and am now a full €15 in credit on top of the monthly dd.

I wonder if you cancel your dd before your monthly dd date, and then when get the usual text telling you your top up is due, will they draw this €15 automatically on dd date, and if not. you could just ring support with a request to use it to top up for the 28 days, then reinstate your card details and auto topup.

You can also just block the 5 digit number in the Text app, just tap the 3 vertical dots top right and tap the Block number option, or go to the first message, on android you will have a Block Number button. Like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭dohouch

Need a "Customer Support" telephone number for Anpost mobile. Website not giving me the option to remove my debit card 🥺

Thanks

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭dohouch

@Comhrá thanks for number. No answer today, in fact no connection.

@deezell I don't get that page

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

It's in your account under topup, you sure it's not there?

You've to login first, then select 'TOP UP' from the drop down menu, the 4 horizontal lines next to the AnPost logo. Heres an alternative support number, 01 7057700

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

Honestly surprised that meets the T&Cs of operating a mobile network. You should flag it with ComReg.

It always looks like it’s some orphaned project in A Post that seemed like a good idea but wasn’t resourced properly.

Post edited by RetroEncabulator on

Advertisement