Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

An Post Mobile

Options
  • 27-11-2019 11:04pm
    Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone any up to date feedback on how this network is going, found a few old threads on here about them but they are from a few years ago. The fact that they are using Vodafone's network would lead people to believe they must be ok. Their plan for €20 top up isnt actually that bad, unlimited calls, texts and 16gb 4G data, not huge, but would definitely do someone who also has decent wifi.

I have always been an eir\meteor and just recently a Gomo customer, but there are areas where I travel for work that Eir coverage is brutal and Vodafone have decent coverage there.

Vodafone's own plans are just to expensive for what they are offering, and this might be a back door in to them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Aquos76 wrote: »
    texts and 16gb 4G data

Holllld up.

Its €20/mo for 16GB of 3G data. Thats why its crap value.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

ED E wrote: »
    Holllld up.

Its €20/mo for 16GB of 3G data. Thats why its crap value.

Ah ok, knew there had to be a catch, thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Invincible

Is Vodafone red not €20 a month?
    Wouldn't it be better than an post!!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Cheapest Vodafone Red plan i see is €25 pm for 6 months and then €35 and thats a sim only 12 month contract deal, and that only has 20GB Data included

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Has anyone any up to date feedback on how this network is going,

It's utter crap.
    It doesn't even support 3g, avoid.
    Just because it's on the Vodafone network ( as a virtual provider ) doesn't mean you get Vodafones 3g/4g support.

Myself and the missus just ditched them after 2 years for GoMo.
    Half the price, better service and better data connections.

No contest.

• Advertisement

been using for the last 5 years (get the phones through payroll) never had 4g, mostly 3g and even E, If we weren't getting the iphones through the job, we wouldn't use or recommend, can't even use short text numbers, only the late late show number works, you cannot send a text to Newstalk for example (53106). joke network.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭byrnefm

It's utter crap.
    It doesn't even support 3g, avoid.
    Just because it's on the Vodafone network ( as a virtual provider ) doesn't mean you get Vodafones 3g/4g support.

Myself and the missus just ditched them after 2 years for GoMo.
    Half the price, better service and better data connections.

No contest.

Hi,

What did you select in the porting drop down option? My Dad is with Post Mobile and is having a dreadful time trying to port with little help from Support.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

byrnefm wrote: »
    Hi,

What did you select in the porting drop down option? My Dad is with Post Mobile and is having a dreadful time trying to port with little help from Support.

I'm having this problem too. Port keeps rejecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

Contact support.

JTMan wrote: »
    Contact support.

Contacted gomo support 4 times over past 4 weeks. Each time told issue was escalated and logged and would get resolved within 5 days. No joy and chat support are toothless. Just mentioning it here as it's exactly the same problem as above poster so maybe it's a specific issue for porting postmobile to GoMo.

• Advertisement

You could port from Post Mobile to Eir (free sim online) and then Eir to GoMo.

You could port from Post Mobile to Eir (free sim online) and then Eir to GoMo.

Snap JTMan. It finally did occur to me today to attempt this. I chose Vodafone PAYG as I'd be porting from an MVNO on their network. Thought it may simplify issues but wishful thinking;

So Vodafone submitted a single port request to postmobile. It was rejected with reason: "port already in progress" , same as gomo. I contact postmobile support who tell me there is only one port request from Vodafone and that port is in progress and nothing showing as rejected. It's chicken and egg stuff. They also said they don't reject any ports as they only offer prepaid plans anyhow.

It appears, to me at least, that postmobile are somehow rejecting ports and their support staff just see them as porting in progress, or maybe it is just happening in my specific case. At least it's progress and I'm seeing that it is most likely not GoMo at fault after all. It's a frustrating issue I have to admit.

Jim

Are Post Mobile able to fix the issue? Did they say to leave it with them?

Most of the Post Mobile infrastructure is provided by Vodafone, so they may the ultimate party at fault.

Are Post Mobile able to fix the issue? Did they say to leave it with them?

Most of the Post Mobile infrastructure is provided by Vodafone, so they may the ultimate party at fault.

So I seem to have got a suggested cause and fallen on a possible solution.

I contacted postmobile first and they said, and i summarise; that there was an active port in progress from Vodafone (even though Vodafone said it had been rejected yesterday) but that I made a high number of porting requests (as GoMo request kept failing) According to them, when the first port request was made a number of weeks ago via GoMo, it makes the number available for GoMo to transfer, but they didn't complete the port within three days and when I submitted another request via GoMo three days later the agent's view is that I basically messed the whole process up. I subsequently logged ~7 requests in total over 4 weeks and he said that I probably would get my number locked to postfone forever if I kept submitting requests so basically it was GoMo's and my fault, which I can see how it could be, but the manner in which I was told has put me off postmobile tbh. He couldn't/wouldn't clear the existing requests and said to contact Vodafone customer support if I had any more issues. I tried to port again via Vodafone and it was rejected. For the record, the in-store vodafone staff told me it was a postmobile issue and there was nothing they could do.

I ended up contacting Vodafone technical support (somehow finding a number that got me past entering a valid VF phone number) and luckily got through to a helpful guy that seemed to manage clearing all/any porting requests for my number on postmobile. Told me to leave it until Monday to ensure the requests are cleared down and attempt port in-store should work then. So here's hoping.

Sorry for the long winded spaghetti post but it may offer some insight to someone who encounters a similarly ridiculous porting hell as you'll need every bit of help you can get... I might just stay with VF, life is short.

Jim

You have taken it this far Jim, you may as well take it the final step and avoid getting ripped off by Vodafone.

So I finally got my number ported to Vodafone yesterday. It in and of itself took numerous calls to vodafone customer care but finally postmobile sim went dead at 6pm yesterday and number fully working on vodafone SIM.

I scheduled port to GoMo today just before midday. GoMo state port rejected by Vodafone as there is already a port in progress on donor network :eek::confused::mad::p. When I ring vodafone customer care the guy 'returns' from the porting team with the advice to make the port request to postmobile and not to vodafone. My query as to why I would contact postmobile if I was now a vodafone payg customer seemed to be over his head. I've had enough for this week. The gods are just not with me on this endeavour.

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

How did you get on in the end?

Thargor wrote: »
    How did you get on in the end?

Well it ended up being a bit of a $h!t show for Vodafone to release the number. Rang them every day for 10 days and went through 4/5 apparent escalations and complaints and kept being promised issue would be sorted within 24 hrs. They said there was a technical glitch holding up porting of the number. Finally told them I was contacting Comreg and did but I'd have to wait 10 days before they could act. Either way notifying Vodafone that I had contacted Comreg resulted in a manager/supervisor calling me the following day and sorting the issue out in 5 minutes. Put through a new porting request from GoMo and no issues whatsoever since.

While it was Vodafone causing the hold up, the lack of being able to get decent customer care on the phone or otherwise from GoMo really prolonged the whole thing.

Once ported, everything has been absolutely fine. All calls, messages, data, 2fa etc. as before. So as others have said, great service if you can deal with a pretty frustrating web chat customer care when you need to.

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Does anyone remember the good old days when you could call Esat Digifone/o2 at 3am on a Monday morning to order your Nokia N95 that would be delivered via An Post the very next day.

Or when you had an issue with Vodafone you’d get through to them in Dundalk/Leopardstown at 04:30am when you had issues with their network.

This was a only a decade ago. We are paying more for our bill pay plans and yet the customer service has gone piśś poor on all networks. Eircom you’ll be waiting up to an hour, Vodafone Egypt, 3 retained the o2 call centre in Limerick I believe but still transfer you to Mumbai during the early morning according to my brother who is on that awful network.

A phone I got for free on my last upgrade is now €249 for new customers joining Vodafone at the same price per month albeit not a business plan like mine. If you aren’t a business customer, go sim only and buy the phone unlocked from the manufacturer or Argos. I would’ve gone sim only and bought the phone from Apple.ie but at the time I need certain services provided that weren’t on PAYG, SIMO etc. Thankfully I have an alternative solution now (eir FTTH VOIP) which gives me the landline on my phone and I joined GOMO so goodbye Vodafone when my contract is over

Just took a browse on the postmobile website there. They've now 4G included as standard from the looks of it. That they didn't clearly state it was a 3G only service before was a bit of hoodwinking IMHO.

Decent enough plan for those who require Vodafone network for the coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭donnyvegas

Customers are advised that Short Code Services will no longer be available on the An Post Mobile network as of the 10th July 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi,

I'm bumping this thread, to see how service is from An Post Mobile these days, please ?

I need the Vodafone network for any sort of half reasonable signal, but feel like they are ripping me off (I would be a fairly light user TBF).

€15pm without a contract, for unlimited 4G, Calls and Texts, looks a decent deal, for access to the best mobile network in the county (granted, its far from perfect). Strangely, I don't see the option of a contract - must be missing the obvious?

Given the comments above about 4g only recently having been made available, am I right in thinking that WiFi calling isn't an option (despite Vodafone offering it).?

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

garrettod wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm bumping this thread, to see how service is from An Post Mobile these days, please ?

I need the Vodafone network for any sort of half reasonable signal, but feel like they are ripping me off (I would be a fairly light user TBF).

€15pm without a contract, for unlimited 4G, Calls and Texts, looks a decent deal, for access to the best mobile network in the county (granted, its far from perfect). Strangely, I don't see the option of a contract - must be missing the obvious?

Given the comments above about 4g only recently having been made available, am I right in thinking that WiFi calling isn't an option (despite Vodafone offering it).?
    I've been on it a week and very happy with it.
    I get vodafone reception so calls and texts and nearly guaranteed.
    4G is indeed there but you don't get VF speeds. It's solid and you get a decent 3Mb in the sticks and 10Mb urban but it can go to 70 Mb etc. You won't use it for household TV viewing.
    I did have one evening where data didn't work for an hour.
    For 15, delighted. I was with gomo but had no service a lot. For 15, I always have reception, I can watch Netflix on phone and it's solid.
    No contract is a non issue. I find no contract is better as you can leave with no penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

TheDriver wrote: »

Thanks for the detailed reply, all positive.

The WiFi calling would be great, but I suppose What's App or Viber, might help in the absence of same.

Their choice of phones isn't great, so I guess it's a case of buy an unlocked phone if your choice (assuming you can't get your existing phone unlocked by your existing provider).

Anything else to consider?

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Anything else to consider?

They say it's unlimited everything but be aware of the fair use clause...

https://www.anpost.com/Mobile/All-you-need-plan-terms-and-fair-usage-policy
    50GB, 3,000 minutes and 3,000 texts

EU roaming is capped at 16GB data and 250 minutes.

The "good" thing about the 50Gb limit is that it doesn't attract customers who want to use it for home modems etc and hence most
    Users prob only use 10Gb a month. This results in consistent speeds and I don't find myself saying speeds are crawling this evening unlike the 48 thread. The 250mins abroad is quite low but 99% of users won't care about that.
    I've found the speeds consistent and useful. Even if speed drops to 1-2Mb, YouTube works unlike eir 1-2Mb would have the circle going around and around.
    This product suits someone who has home broadband and isn't always in urban settings

I'm getting very high speeds this morning, averaging 70-80 and hitting 140

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

Is anyone else having trouble changing APN settings on iPhone? Vodafone seem to have blocked changing them so I can't change them to be Post Mobile

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

They have a link to a third party site to set APNs. The link they provide has a specific phone number attached to it but that must be an error. Here is the webpage address....

http://iphone.tweakker.com/ios_postmobile/

Be aware that there might be an issue with tethering afterwards...
    https://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115429993&postcount=128

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭deezell

Just waiting for my AnPost sim tomorrow. After years on a legacy €15 1Gb Meteor/Eir sim contract, with only fringe 3g and 4g where I live, (literally can't use the internet if the land line goes down), the last straw occured when a 1Gb October add on for €5 to tide me over somehow triggered the deletion of my November monthly 1Gb data allowance altogther. A call to Eir support confirmed the recent furore about their support meltdown, with a grumpy call centre staffer telling me my Gb was 'used up', only 4 days into the billing period, and though I said I could see my data use online, about 35Mb, she just intoned that it was not accurate. I asked to speak to someone else, she cut me off mid sentence.
    I'm getting these texts replies when I text ' Balance Data'
    "You don't have free data in your tariff plan and you pay standard data rates. Click on m.eir.ie/data-pricing/ for details",
    and though I topped up in desperation with a €5 add on again, I get these texts,
    "You have now used your 50MB Daily Mobile Internet allowance. You will now be charged standard per MB rates. To check your balance, send Balance Data to 50104"
    I then get charged €1+ for that day. I've only successfully got through to support that once after 3 days trying, by ringing repeatedly from before 9am until the first sleepy call centre working from home person decided to answer.
    Enough is Enough. I copped Vodafone have 4G coverage where I am, and Three/Tesco is decent on my wife's service but An Post use Vodafone, my number is 087 anyway going back years, there's a free first month, and at €15 for 28 days, whats not to like. Pay by mandate and the 28 days increases to a full month, or a full 28 payment per year free. I can't see how moving to AnPost could be any worse than this current Eir debacle.

Advertisement