Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post Mobile

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭dohouch

I got those options yesterday, but not today!, selected "use another card" page did a never ending reload, then came back with a few lines in red, something like unable to complete operation. Try again.

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭deezell

I had significant trouble updating an expired card and had to quit and try the next day. Try a different browser, or from a pc. I had to remove the existing expired card, as the replacement was the same card with a current date, which seemed to give it a wobbler. Eventually when I definitely deleted the card, I topped up by 15 just to restore connection. After a few days I then added the new card with dd.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭sean3318

I have just recently joined from 48. My data speeds are non existent. I'm barely getting 1Mbps. I have tried all the settings. I was getting between 40 and 50 with 48. I'm at a total loss at how bad it is. I live in a town so it's as if reception is the issue. Has anyone else had the same problem?

Yes. I've had a few one day wobblers in the last while, one I seemed to have solved by pulling the sim, and trying it in a different phone, then putting it back in my own. This made the system push the AP settings again, and reasonable data resumed. I had another bad one right in the middle of Naas, plenty of reception but rubbish speeds, 0.1M, so I emailed support and the guy replied, asked to restart phone etc, said he'd log it with Vodafone. It came back good the next morning, but it's hit and miss, reception just OK where I live, data can be great one day, 1-2Mb the next. I think it's prioritising big money VF plans, so you only get good speeds if the premium customers are in a lull. My local speed at home right now is poor. Just over 1. Here's a mix of tests since the 0.1 one in April, some in city/towns, some at home in the sticks. The first 3 on the 26/5th after the 0.98 wifi connection were in Liffey Valley Lucan NCT centre. Even though it showed poor but usable speed, there was no Internet connection at all, which was a different problem entirely

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

anybody with trouble today,2 fones in house and speed is diabolical all day

• Advertisement

35.3Mb down /.81 up this morning in local town centre, but only 0.71Mb/.37 here at home now. Send Speedtest screengrabs to care@anpostmobile.ie, keep the pressure on, there's obviously a restriction being applied to their mvno throughput. The more we send in the more they can harass Vodafone, though they may only be paying for third rate connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,410 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

As an aside but it's been 1 month since I left PM and am glad I did, the reception may be VF but the data processing is no longer fit for purpose.

PS I was a strong supporter of PM for years

• Registered Users Posts: 12 beansie

Who did you switch to? I'm with PM and have had zero signal all day. It's been happening far too often over the last few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭rhinosaurious

Clear mobile is a better alternative atp.

I went to gomo. I left gomo 2 years ago as they're signal was crap but colleagues said eir signal improved so said I'd give it a go and if ok, I'd port my number. Delighted I did apart from issues with porting. Wifi calling is good and have reception in all rural areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Notmything

Been with post mobile for the last couple of years, but data speeds have gone to pot recently. Contacted them and .34Mbs is perfectly fine apparently.

Time to move methinks

They said that? On an email for evidence, or just some calk centre drone.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Notmything

Sadly over the phone.

Pity, they were decent enough and now I've to go to the bother of porting

Follow it up with an email, say you want a transcript showing that an agent stated the data rate of 0.34 sufficient. Calls are recorded for this purpose.

I wouldn't bother tbh as it won't improve. An post data has become erratic ever since the data issues last summer and it seems like their product is deteriorating, "Vodafone network" doesn't mean Vodafone speeds.

I had trouble getting a page to load smack in the city centre Wednesday morning about 11.00. Same old story I thought as I popped on Speedtest to get some evidence for another snarky email. Sure enough, 1mb speed, but that wasn't the full story, the delivery all occurred in a burst towards the end of the test window. I repeated it, same result. Opened a web page, it just sat there trying to load. Then I returned to Speedtest, while the page load struggled, and the last two tests occurred.

I've never seen 80Mps before, but what's going on? And the upload is still rubbish. It took over 3 minutes to wake the 4g data pipe. What was it doing in the meantime?

It's nearly 50 years since I commenced my studies of circuit theory in the famed Kevin St, now demolished, but I recall that there was a definition of a connection as either circuit switched or packet switched, and somewhere in there is a subclass of constant connection v on demand. I think that AnPost data connections are almost fully disconnected during idle, so when you use it there is a huge delay setting up the path, not to your desired web or Internet server, but setting up the actual data delivery layer from your phone out of the Vodafone layer to whatever data comms company fulfills AnPost connections and internet traffic forwarding, (the 'Data Link' layer on the 7 layer model for any IT/comms engineers reading this).

The latency on the first three of those tests was nearly 1.6 to 2.6 seconds, dropping to 0.8 on the last. Thats like I was connecting via a switch on the moon and back. The Vodafone link speed is there, but it takes so long to negotiate a connection with the second rate service provider anpost are using that most of the time no data of significance is transferred. A packet here, a packet there. By all means vote with your feet if it stays like this.

Data goes through NL or Malta data centres as opposed to Vodafone themselves, that's why you get long ping times. If you look up Netflix, you'll get NL listings for example.

I used to get plenty of 80-100 but equally it can drop to 1 in large urban spots.

No wonder it works so well when I'm in the Netherlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

So is this the date that you order the sim & sign up. ie, the date you pay the activation/order fee??

For GoMo?Sign up/Order at start of a month e.g. 2nd July. SIM will arrive in a few days. You can then port your number over if you're happy with the service. You pay 15 on 2nd July and that covers the first month (2-31July) and 15 each month after that (1st Aug for Aug, 1st Sept for Sept). So effectively the activation fee is your first month.

If you ordered on 26 July, you'll still pay 15 but it only covers until 31 July anyways.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭BuzzG

Speeds / latency seem to be back to somewhat normal levels here today. They were terrible for the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 beansie

Thanks for the recommendation, I switched to Gomo and the data/signal is perfect. Am even getting 5G in my house which is supposedly a black spot on their coverage map. Should've done it sooner!

Screw AP mobile, I'm out. P!ss poor signal of late and terrible service when it did work. Gomo it is!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭tnegun

I ported to Clear Mobile last week and good riddance, not lightning fast but it works when you need it I don't use a huge amount of mobile data but not being able to depend on it was the last straw for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭questionmark

Moved to anpost yesterday and my phone keeps losing all signal (no coverage or data) , It think I have all the settings correct as I have received text and had short spells of working data. I'm in the city and never had coverage issues here before.Anybody any ideas what could be wrong ?

Ring them on 0818 789 789 or this +353 17057700 , you might have to wait for an answer, if you ring on the stroke of 9.00am you'll get through. While it could be a poor sim card (my first was failing to register, a new card sorted it), it sounds more like the issues customers have being having, where at random times the data rate vanishes, calls also sometimes. Despite being in an urban area with full host Vodafone coverage, I had trouble in James st over two weeks ago, it took about 4 minutes of trying Speedtest, sending myself texts and trying random urls before the data connection woke up. Family have also said to me that sometimes they can't get my phone to ring, though that could be down to just better than marginal 4G coverage at home. I was never contactable at home on Eir 4G, why I moved to AnPost.

Post edited by deezell on

Difference between AP & gomo is night and day, glad I switched

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Anyone in Limerick city using an post mobile? They have turned off 3G. Does the phone now drop down to edge on a phone call?

• Advertisement

No, it should connect to 4G. E or Edge is afaik a last resort in black spots or remote areas of very poor 3 or 4G data coverage. Vodafone 3G is off in Limerick since 1st February, Cork and Galway next in September. I assume their 4G /5G coverage in Limerick is now comprehensive. It's last August since I was in Limerick, 4g was particularly good on my Anpost connection (LTE, 41.8Mbs in Castletroy). Vodafone customers probably receive direct updates on the 3G shutdown, and advise any actions one should take to ensure your phone seeks 4G.

If your phone is v old, or you haven't allowed software upgrades (I know a person who fearfully never allows them, until their phone is almost useless), you might need to take action. Booting without a Sim inserted, shutdown, reinsert Sim and boot again is often a good way to get back on track. If you're having issues you should call to a Vodafone shop, as you are a network customer, even if just an MVN one, and they'll be well aware of 3g closedown. You might find a well informed person there to guide you.

Advertisement