Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post Mobile

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,570 ✭✭✭deezell

Ideally somewhere with better signal, and better jokes! Actually the data is not an issue at home, with WiFi, but I've taken to using Spotify in car since I bodged Android auto onto a 7 year old Audi, so I've a chance to use some of my 50Gb data allowance. I also get a kick having Google maps satellite view on the screen, even If I know where I'm going anyway, its fun to see the thing popping up left or right arrows at junctions to say "2 minutes quicker this way", or to tell me the other night to get the f* off the M50 at the Naas exit, before I got swallowed in a 5km tailback to the N4. Its then you appreciate a good data connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I wrote to CS again and they apologies, explained about IT upgrades and hope for a resolution shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭breeno

I saw a post a while back saying hotspot on iPhone was now working for an post but nothing mentioned since.

Can anybody with an iPhone tell me if the hotspot works these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

Yes it does. Just ensure you are running the latest iOS and set your Personal Hotspot APN to isp.postfone.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

I've been getting very poor speeds lately so I thought I'd send an email to customer care and got the following reply --

We can only apologise for this situation.

IT have advised us they are currently doing upgrades on the network which is leading to slower data speeds, we are hoping for a resolution shortly.

Apologies for the inconveniences caused by this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,726 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I'm getting about 20 down and 0.4 up.

But when testing it always starts super slow like single digit speeds then only gets peak speeds towards the end.

Was traveling last week and had good connection almost all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

For weeks now I've had decent 4G+ however I keep losing ability to use data & calls not connecting, trackers/streaming constantly dropping out and it's really frustrating. Going on far too long, time for them to be dropped, not worth the few quid savings.

What month sim only plan are people thinking of switching to.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭harryohh

I switched to Eir Mobile a couple of weeks ago.

€15pm for all calls, texts and 5G data for 12 months (it's a 30 day contract btw). My work takes me to quite rural places and my work phone on Vodafone seems to have more extensive coverage. But so far it's much better than An Post anyway.

I had to leave Eir, phone coverage mostly non existent and data coverage completely absent, they have plenty of blackspots in between high volume areas. Vodafone coverage far superior, just a case of wait and see if the data rate hiccups are sorted with these 'upgrades' . Swmbo uses Tesco on 02, she's never had coverage issues, just the well known Tescomobile issues of data connection abroad, as in no data, only calls. When I was with Eir I'd hotspot her phone when d'intenet was down, I was totally tied to Wi-Fi, so I'd have to connect to Wife-i.

• Advertisement

Interesting you say about roaming on Tesco. Just back from the travelling in the UK and we had a couple of Tesco phones with us. They only had data about 10% of the time. We also had an Post and a Vodafone sims with us and they had mostly no problems.

I'm getting 12 ish download this morning on An Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I was with Eir for a month, Vodafone for 6 years previously . I found Eir a great network to be fair but i changed back to Vodafone because of a couple of caveats.

When travelling around i found that Eir seemed to like 3G too much despite plenty of 4G masts. For example, there’s a 9 mile stretch of road that has a Vodafone/Eir masts each end. When i’m driving on that road Eir drops to 3G without fail. Vodafone hangs on to the 4G all the way. Not sure if Eir operates their 4G on lower power compared to Vodafone or if it’s a signal threshold problem. Vodafone/An post 4G definitely stretches further from their masts. Overall i see a lot more 4G on my phone driving through the countryside compared to Eir.

The other caveat is that i find call sound quality superior on Vodafone for most part. My partner uses An Post and her call quality is excellent too. An Post definitely use Vodafone’s HD voice.

Yes, you can select voice over LTE on Vodafone. I had a longish call yesterday at home, I noticed how distinct it was, especially as I'm getting a little Mutt and Jeff with age.

A few more tests. Poor at home, but better than the .3's and .4's I was getting last week. I couldn't even get .01 here from eir when I was with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭harryohh

I'd switch back to An Post most likely if they sort their data issues. They definitely have better coverage than Eir but there's no point having good 4G coverage with 0.1mbps downloads. So far I have gotten between 30-500mbps with Eir 5G in various parts of Cork city. Huge variance between indoor and outdoor speeds however as expected with 5G.

I used to be with eir and found that I could have 5 bars but chronic data speeds on 4G. But An Post need to sort out their issues.

I don't really need high speeds but I need it to work. No point arriving home to get a ton of WhatsUp messages than you need when out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

How long has/will this go on 🙄

" Thank you for contacting An

Post Mobile customer care.

We have been advised

by our IT department that they are currently doing updates to the network. Unfortunately, this is affecting data speeds for customers. We aim to have the updates completed as soon as possible"

Until the robot wears out? Looks like classic bot help assistant.

Has anyones speed gone back to normal? Mine seems to be mostly 1Meg or less with the odd big jump to 50-70. But mostly crap in places it was always much better.

I'm jumping ship when I'm at the end of my current month which is a pity, they had a great product

Yeah mines mostly bad again. I'm going to try this 3 Prepay Hero

https://www.three.ie/shop/plans/prepay-phone-plans.html

• Advertisement

Robot says; ( think Dalek voice),

🤖⚡⚡We have been advised by our IT departmENT that they (🤖🤖🤖) are currently⚡doing updates(🍺🍺⚙) to the ⚡NEtw⚙RK 🐌🐌...** "" # **,,,. ... . . .

That said, I'm getting 3-4 here in my marginal area, only one bar signal.

I was going to try the three hero but found a 48 sim from 2 years ago, still active that allowed me to sign up to the 7.99 plan. Pleasantly surprised with the level of reception, nearly as good as VF and the data speeds are ok. Not great, but ok and useable compared to An post at mo.

Failing that, might try clear mobile (at least proper VF 5Mb is good) or three.

Been 2 years with this crowd.

I had vastly better data when roaming abroad with An Post than I do at home. That's just weird.

That's because you're on Vodafone abroad, without your data travelling via Malta or wherever postmobile routes it through at home. You're being treated as a Vodafone customer. I had mind boggling speeds in Netherlands a couple of weeks ago.

@TheDriver, I presume Clear Mobile are using Vodafone also, their offer of €12.99 only applies if you move from the Three or Eir networks or their MVNOs, it's €15 otherwise. Same Ts&Cs as Postmobile, but with a 5mb speed cap. This is a max, not a min, there's no reason to think it won't suffer the same issues as Postmobile, if their routing is an issue. Only one way to find out.

I'm now with 48 but I'll wait a while as the clear offer comes up periodically. Clear is owned by VF so assume their APN is routed through VF rather than aspider. Sky is launching in few months on VF too.

I only want enough decent internet to play a YouTube video without buffering etc.

Hmm, I hear ya.

For me it that I'll have data when I need to do something that needs data. Like Parking, banking, things like that. Not have to wait till I get back to wifi.

Same here. When I moved to PM, I was sick of eir/three having no reception at critical times. Now, it's ironically PM that leaves me struggling and three has surprised me.

When I joined it was fine. Definitely got worse in recent months. I couldn't recommend it anymore.

• Advertisement

Advertisement