Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post Mobile

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 NCNewb

Super. Thanks Flinty. Changed and deleted to all above and said IPv4 only and have got 7mb/s rather than 3 which is what it was when IPv4/IPv6

• Registered Users Posts: 11,423 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I've no idea why that makes a difference.

Obviously I've a dead spot inside. Maybe move around see if it improves.

Last time I had a problem with divert setting the support were actually decent at sorting it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

Hi Folks, we have a holiday home down the country and would like the option to work the odd friday full day or just friday afternoon down there on work laptop by hotspotting off mobile phone.

Currently have no internet access in the holiday home but I know from testing the internet speed on a 3 & on a Vodafone mobile phone that the Vodafone network is much stronger in our location than the 3 network for internet speed.

I believe An Post piggyback on the Vodafone network.

A few questions that people here may be able to advise on:

1. Would there be any difference in internet speed if going with An Post over Vodafone?

2. Is there any restrictions on using the hot spot on the mobile phone for a work laptop to use the internet from with An Post?

3. How has anybody who does similar found it?

4. Is there a non contract plan I could do on a month to month basis for say 3 months?

5. Would I need a certain quality phone? With 5g for example or anything else of note? Any phone reccomendations appreciated.

6. Any other advice, tips, suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭deezell

1. In theory no, but in heavy traffic a Vodafone customer with a pricier plan will surely get bandwidth precedence over a €15/month MVNO customer

2. Not that I know of

3. Only had to use it when home broadband failed, it worked fine, though slower.

4. Yes, €15 per month with auto topup, per 28 days with PAYG.

5. Don't think you get 5G for that plan.

6. Get a free sim and try it. First month free if switching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

I've been on Post Mobile for the last year or so, with no complaints so far and I've been abroad a couple of times without issue. I've never been able to get call waiting working does anyone else have this issue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭XsApollo

ive been on Vodafone for years , fancied a switch to a cheaper plan and not getting a new phone decided to get an post sim only since they piggy back the Vodafone network.

piggy back is an apt term, nowhere near the same service as Vodafone, constant waiting for pages to load, and constant buffering with music when on the move.

can’t complain for 15euro but for anybody thinking it will be the same as Vodafone because they are on the same network , well it ain’t.

I don't have any of those problems, well not unless near a blackspot in which case its worse with 3 or 48 etc.

I'm not expecting 5G, because I'm not paying for 5G. But I get a better signal with An Post than the other networks I was on.

Dial *43# to activate call waiting.

Dial *#43# to read your current CW status and services.

Dial #43# to deactivate CW.

You should be able to set these and other services from the Phone App screen. Press the three vertical dots icon on the top right then settings/supplementary services/call waiting toggle. It sometimes doesn't work, so the code is better.

Switching to a call waiting or adding it in conference always does my head in. My fingers turn into clubs, I usually lose everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

Moved from vodafone to anpost a few weeks ago.

Internet speeds are absolutely terrible and terrible load times for webpages.

Im going back to vodafone next week.

I followed a load of the apn suggestions on this thread and nothing helped

• Registered Users Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I've been with them a year and half. In the last month, I've noticed very poor data speeds. Anyone else getting same?

• Advertisement

Just today, in the city centre, full signal and with 4G+ showing on the status bar, I was waiting for pages to load which surprised me, enough to connect to the train wifi. Something must be changed. I'm not too critical where I live n the sticks as reception is poor on all carriers, data non existent on Eir, my previous carrier. I'll start screen grabbing Speedtest pages when I'm out and about, see what its like over a few days.

OK. This is definitely not right.

I recall for a few days last week I was getting alert notifications with a little yellow warning triangle icon, which when tapped read something about 'Vodafone network not connected'.

Something obviously wrong. I had 5-10M a week ago.

Thanks, it works for my OH but not for me. Actually I tried switching it off and on again with my sim in her phone just now and it's working!

I'm going to contact support. My speedtests are gone to pot too. Download speed is crap, upload shoots up

Just tried here on 50/60% strength 4g none of the speed test sites (speedtest.net or speedof.me)would load but boards and rte.ie loaded slowly. I hadn't noticed as am on wireless 90% of the time. I did notice my Spotify cutting out the last week or so though.

care@anpostmobile.ie

I just mailed them screengrabs. I doubt it's deprioritising, too severe.

Seems like it's not just me so. Please, can everyone email care@postmobile.ie, otherwise they'll think it's just an isolated problem.

Same here. Speed test is bad. Though I forget to turn my wifi on after testing and never noticed.

Got reply, honest in fairness. They're having internet issues and the IT department is working on it.

Also got a reply. Same.

• Advertisement

I'm on wifi most of the day and when I'm on mobile I'm rarely looking at anything that needs high speed. So I wouldn't have noticed for a while.

Ditto. Looked back at my Speedtest records, August and October I had 20Mb+ tests, all sub 2 to 4 since May until the collapse this week to 0.2 or less.

Post edited by deezell on

This is better.

I get the same, goes from good to bad to good to bad. The jitter is massive though. I could test 20 times and get 2-3 great speeds and rest are dreadful.

At least they've admitted an issue, many times in the past telecom companies won't admit an issue

Same better than last night but still awful here

Woeful. I just wish there was a vodofone shop closer to me to swap back now. I cant swap over on the website because they think im still registered with them

Maybe it hasnt all fixed yet

Its the weirdest network i dont know if there is throttling or prioritisation going on

Its obviously just a recent issue. Its a bit early to throw in the towel.

Running much better now. I havent been impressed with the speeds over the last 5 weeks since I moved over, will keep an eye on it

If the problem is with the Vodafone network and not related to prioritisation of bandwidth then you're likely to have choked data of some sort even with a Vodafone sim, unless you're paying top dollar for your Vodafone plan at the expense of other Vodafone customers as well as MVNO. It looks like a different issue. Download speeds dissappear while upload is maintained in some instances. The record below was taken in Naas shopping centre, then last two back home in the bog. After 2 good tests, 11.09 am, download disappeared at 11.32, upload remained high. On return home, 12.12pm, local mast is poor, 3G, low download, tiny upload. Something is churning the network. They need to turn the power off and on again!

• Advertisement

I notice is struggles initially, no matter what the speed it eventually gets to. Maybe it's to do with the routing through NL and Malta. I'm sure it'll be obvious quickly and our emails might focus the minds

Advertisement