Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

She was driving without her seatbelt either :(

And no NCT since 16-Jan-2020, that was prior to any Covid extension. Did you get a look at the tax/insurance disk, generally not a bad idea (difficult from that angle) to look since Guards can't be bothered with close passes and dangerous driving perhaps they'll take more heed where there's a number of infringements such as driving without seatbeat, NCT etc

• Registered Users Posts: 28,541 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

She was driving without her seatbelt either :(

I'm guessing she had parked up and run into Supervalu for a coffee. It must be awful to not be able to park on the cycle lane any more. So she was probably just taking off, and decided to save a few seconds by picking up her coffee cup as she drove into the junction, and then doing her seat belt.
    And no NCT since 16-Jan-2020, that was prior to any Covid extension. Did you get a look at the tax/insurance disk, generally not a bad idea (difficult from that angle) to look since Guards can't be bothered with close passes and dangerous driving perhaps they'll take more heed where there's a number of infringements such as driving without seatbeat, NCT etc

It's a good idea, but very hard to do in practice, particularly as I'm long-sighted, and don't wear my reading glasses while cycling. I keep meaning to try it, maybe using the camera and see if that will pick up the details.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'm guessing she had parked up and run into Supervalu for a coffee. It must be awful to not be able to park on the cycle lane any more. So she was probably just taking off, and decided to save a few seconds by picking up her coffee cup as she drove into the junction, and then doing her seat belt.
    Aah well that's ok then ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Steoller

Had two working together this morning on the way into work. I got cut up on the M4 Celbridge roundabout. I was going from the Barnhall road in south east to the R449 Leixlip exit in the north. As I pass the first exit, car comes up on my outside and cuts across in front of me. I give the brakes a squeeze to give room, but that means the car behind him, who is also diving for the first exit can't cut up the first car's inside because I've slowed.

Horn abuse . Fingers at the window. Fingers back. Bad mood for the rest of the morning.

I hate that roundabout and choose not to use that route towards Celbridge from Leixlip.
    Drivers coming from the Leixlip R449 don't know what lane to be in. Most of the traffic travelling further on the R449 use the left lane (whereas they should be on the right). Top it off with impatient drivers travelling well above the speed limit.

You're ok though and that's the important thing (despite the bad mood).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

A bizarre thing as I drove today (collecting and dropping off my in laws car for a service/repair). A few bikes on the Stepaside road and the Kilgobbin Road, and most people were waiting back for a safe overtake. We all got stuck at lights later down the road so it really made no difference. Anyway, on the Kilgobbin Road and we are behind a cyclist with a kids trailer. This road is windy and not wide enough for an overtake, so for the most part people hang back, although not well enough but better than what I have seen, Anyway, we get to a right turn just after the windy bit, I am two cars back from the cyclist. The BMW in front of me contemplates an overtake but then cops the cyclist is indicating right. Slows, undertakes and then pulls in front at the lights 2 seconds later, which were red. The traffic is heavy enough that when the BMW eventually gets around the corner, the cyclist is finally able to go around, overtake and never be seen again. It was just a bizarre pointless manoeuvre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

CramCycle wrote: »
    A bizarre thing as I drove today (collecting and dropping off my in laws car for a service/repair). A few bikes on the Stepaside road and the Kilgobbin Road, and most people were waiting back for a safe overtake. We all got stuck at lights later down the road so it really made no difference. Anyway, on the Kilgobbin Road and we are behind a cyclist with a kids trailer. This road is windy and not wide enough for an overtake, so for the most part people hang back, although not well enough but better than what I have seen, Anyway, we get to a right turn just after the windy bit, I am two cars back from the cyclist. The BMW in front of me contemplates an overtake but then cops the cyclist is indicating right. Slows, undertakes and then pulls in front at the lights 2 seconds later, which were red. The traffic is heavy enough that when the BMW eventually gets around the corner, the cyclist is finally able to go around, overtake and never be seen again. It was just a bizarre pointless manoeuvre.

Driver's ability to read the road ahead in any shape or fashion is gone to absolute cr*p....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Had a pretty serious close call today. Brought the Urban Arrow into town for its first service and collected it this afternoon. I was coming out along Strawberry Beds and there was a grey SUV coming towards me. Car behind me approaching at speed gunned it and squeeze into the rapidly disappearing space and immediately followed by a red car who skidded to avoid the SUV. Both SUV and I came to an immediate stop along side each other speechless.

So I’ll need a camera on the UA too...

5uspect wrote: »
    Had a pretty serious close call today. Brought the Urban Arrow into town for its first service and collected it this afternoon. I was coming out along Strawberry Beds and there was a grey SUV coming towards me. Car behind me approaching at speed gunned it and squeeze into the rapidly disappearing space and immediately followed by a red car who skidded to avoid the SUV. Both SUV and I came to an immediate stop along side each other speechless.

Those days were you come to a stop and so does approaching traffic are rare and yet somehow, still far to often. Hope you're OK, the few times it's happened me its left me shook.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭knockoutned

Hi 5suspect, I was the driver of the grey SUV. It was nice to meet you, though not in that circumstance :eek: I was very happy to be able to have our brief chat afterwards, as I was sure he had pulled in on top of you to avoid me.

I was hoping that you caught it on camera, as I would have been more than happy to be a witness if you decided to contact the Guards. Though I’m also glad that my “sh!tting my pants” face was not captured on camera for all eternity!

That was the closest I’ve come to a head on collision. I thought the first car was cutting it close, but the second car took the p!ss. He just blindly followed the first car. If the first car braked at all passing you, the second car would have taken us all out. Absolutely ridiculous driving.

Lovely bike by the way!

• Advertisement

Hi 5suspect, I was the driver of the grey SUV. It was nice to meet you, though not in that circumstance :eek: I was very happy to be able to have our brief chat afterwards, as I was sure he had pulled in on top of you to avoid me.

I was hoping that you caught it on camera, as I would have been more than happy to be a witness if you decided to contact the Guards. Though I’m also glad that my “sh!tting my pants” face was not captured on camera for all eternity!

That was the closest I’ve come to a head on collision. I thought the first car was cutting it close, but the second car took the p!ss. He just blindly followed the first car. If the first car braked at all passing you, the second car would have taken us all out. Absolutely ridiculous driving.

Lovely bike by the way!

Hey, didn’t expect to ever hear from you again! Hope you’re okay, you dropped anchor pretty hard. I was tempted to bring my GoPro today but it’s a bit of a pain getting the mount off my own bike. Perhaps I need a helmet cam.

It was an absolutely insane excuse for driving, one of the worst I’ve experienced. It crossed my mind that they were racing.

I’d highly recommend the Urban Arrow, great for the school run or the weekly shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭tnegun

I thought the first car was cutting it close, but the second car took the p!ss. He just blindly followed the first car.
    Have to say that this is one of my biggest fears with close passes that the driver following the first is paying even less attention.

Cycled from Dunboyne to Maynooth with the OH today and the driving standard was shocking, the amount of close passes and passes on blind bends we ridiculous the road isn't great and has a lot of them but no-one seemed in the mood to wait for a safe place!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭knockoutned

Hey, didn’t expect to ever hear from you again! Hope you’re okay, you dropped anchor pretty hard. I was tempted to bring my GoPro today but it’s a bit of a pain getting the mount off my own bike. Perhaps I need a helmet cam.

It was an absolutely insane excuse for driving, one of the worst I’ve experienced. It crossed my mind that they were racing.

I’d highly recommend the Urban Arrow, great for the school run or the weekly shop.

Had my eye on a Yuba Mundo Lux as I've two kids who are just about the right age to go on it (who were both asleep and thankfully, remained asleep during the above incident) as I have the impression that if a driver can see them on the back of the bike they mightn't pull a ridiculous overtake like the one today. But I'll definitely have a look at your one.

Take a Riese & Müller for a spin too. Handles like a racer and costs more than a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,669 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

tnegun wrote: »
    Have to say that this is one of my biggest fears with close passes that the driver following the first is paying even less attention.

Cycled from Dunboyne to Maynooth with the OH today and the driving standard was shocking, the amount of close passes and passes on blind bends we ridiculous the road isn't great and has a lot of them but no-one seemed in the mood to wait for a safe place!

Same here about the close passes. By the looks of things if I am ever involved in another crash it will be an overtaking car colliding with another while going around me

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Same here about the close passes. By the looks of things if I am ever involved in another crash it will be an overtaking car colliding with another while going around me
    I reckon that if an driver overtaking a cyclist fears a collision with an oncoming vehicle then unfortunately, the cyclist will be the one they aim for.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

I reckon that if an driver overtaking a cyclist fears a collision with an oncoming vehicle then unfortunately, the cyclist will be the one they aim for.

Unfortunately, I think you are correct, they'll weigh up in their own head what is the lesser of two evils, damage wise for them, hitting a 1.5 ton vehicle, or hitting a 100kg obstacle(as they ser it), and the cyclist loses that one every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

wheelo01 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I think you are correct, they'll weigh up in their own head what is the lesser of two evils, damage wise for them, hitting a 1.5 ton vehicle, or hitting a 100kg obstacle(as they ser it), and the cyclist loses that one every time.

Don't think there is any weighing up in their mind, lack of time to think, the natural instinct would be to swerve out of the way of an incoming vehicle, almost impossible to overcome that.

Don't think there is any weighing up in their mind, lack of time to think, the natural instinct would be to swerve out of the way of an incoming vehicle, almost impossible to overcome that.

It's the instinct to immediately overtake a bike regardless of the situation sadly also seems possible to overcome

breezy1985 wrote: »
    It's the instinct to immediately overtake a bike regardless of the situation sadly also seems possible to overcome

Maybe if we could make our respective bums a bit more pleasing, it might be safer on the roads?

• Advertisement

Maybe if we could make our respective bums a bit more pleasing, it might be safer on the roads?

Doubt it would help. I bet Anna Van Der Breggen gets this crap too

The new cycle lane opened to give fanfare on Shannon bridge in Limerick has been cut to one lane half way down the bridge on the inbound lane with a barrier leaving the cyclist with no option but to cycle head on into the cyclists on the outbound lane.

Soon after I almost went head on into a roadworks sign hidden around a bend in a cycle lane coming off a fast moving roundabout at the Cresent shopping centre. But at least the builder seemed genuine about moving it as I asked

Not my video, but what an idiot in the Audi

https://twitter.com/danmandunne/status/1314142226151354370

Steoller wrote: »
    Had two working together this morning on the way into work. I got cut up on the M4 Celbridge roundabout. I was going from the Barnhall road in south east to the R449 Leixlip exit in the north. As I pass the first exit, car comes up on my outside and cuts across in front of me. I give the brakes a squeeze to give room, but that means the car behind him, who is also diving for the first exit can't cut up the first car's inside because I've slowed.

Horn abuse . Fingers at the window. Fingers back. Bad mood for the rest of the morning.
    Thankfully not a near miss but I went out for a spin before I started work this morning and on my way home I travelled along the R449 from Celbridge to Leixlip. I was moving at about 40km/h on the road (which has a 60km/h limit). An Applegreen artic that had come off the M4 was following behind me and proceeded to beep his horn whilst behind me. The right lane of this dual carriageway was empty and after a short while he overtook me but as I got to the Kilmacreddock roundabout (where I was going right and he was continuing straight on) I was close behind him. He stops on the roundabout and as I overtook him when I was turning right, he opens his door and, kind of hanging out, he starts berating me about not using the cycle path.
    "Professional" drivers :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

Thankfully not a near miss but I went out for a spin before I started work this morning and on my way home I travelled along the R449 from Celbridge to Leixlip. I was moving at about 40km/h on the road (which has a 60km/h limit). An Applegreen artic that had come off the M4 was following behind me and proceeded to beep his horn whilst behind me. The right lane of this dual carriageway was empty and after a short while he overtook me but as I got to the Kilmacreddock roundabout (where I was going right and he was continuing straight on) I was close behind him. He stops on the roundabout and as I overtook him when I was turning right, he opens his door and, kind of hanging out, he starts berating me about not using the cycle path.
    "Professional" drivers :rolleyes:

I wonder was it the same lad I encountered yesterday evening. I was driving to Maynooth from Leixlip, coming from M4 direction into Intel roundabout (so heading left). Applegreen arctic comes from Leixlip village (to my right), driver indicating left as he comes onto the roundabout and then proceeds straight through. Cue braking and swearing.

Coming up to the small roundabout in South Shankill. About 15m shy I start to slow (as its a f*cking roundabout). Car behind me goes for the overtake and only pulls level as we get to it. I let a roar and thankfully they stopped but the dirty look of both disgust and confusion from the driver was spectacular. I caught up with the car in front going through the village, as expected and didn't delay the car behind at all. Some of them are just muppets.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

CramCycle wrote: »
    Coming up to the small roundabout in South Shankill. About 15m shy I start to slow (as its a f*cking roundabout). Car behind me goes for the overtake and only pulls level as we get to it. I let a roar and thankfully they stopped but the dirty look of both disgust and confusion from the driver was spectacular. I caught up with the car in front going through the village, as expected and didn't delay the car behind at all. Some of them are just muppets.

And more often than not they won't stop/slow. Complete commitment to a manoeuvre, even when it becomes clear it will not work, is far far too common in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

Not my video, but what an idiot in the Audi

https://twitter.com/danmandunne/status/1314142226151354370
    I was expecting a lot worse after reading the tweets. "Bawling crying"? Jesus...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

I was expecting a lot worse after reading the tweets. "Bawling crying"? Jesus...

That's a different tweet about another incident. You could read the tweet and compare it to the video, or note the different names of the different posters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I would be happy if that was the worst display of driving to be seen.
    To my mind the biggest problem there is the infrastructure, no segregated bike lane and It should be a one way street Because it’s so narrow.

The Audi attempt to overtake is so slow that oncoming traffic while being pretty inevitable is Never in danger, they are aware of the bike when they slow and stop to allow enough room for the cyclist to continue.

It’s not that bad to be fair, they probably should have waited but it’s not reckless.

Advertisement