Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

Am I hearing things or did they tap their horn around 0:16?
    Yeah he beeped don't know if it was to let me know he was there or for me to get out of his way?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

tnegun wrote: »
    Yeah he beeped don't know if it was to let me know he was there or for me to get out of his way?
    I thought I heard them tap the horn again after they passed.

Ah get you now, no I don't think so he did put the foot down but no more beeping.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I hit a car this evening, with my hand. Not hard but hard enough. Cars flying up the bus lane and at a set of lights, he was clearly skipping traffic and as he took off he drifted slightly into the bike lane. I just lashed out and thumped the car. He looked around in confusion, I pointed at the driving lane and seen him pull over after a few words were mouthed. About 100m later he pulled back in and pulled into the galloping green lay off. I seen him do the walk around, check for damage etc. I stopped as he gestured to me and explained he was drifting into the bike lane. His opening retort was there was no bike lane :confused: When I queried it he told me I was putting myself in danger by undertaking, he could have been turning left. I asked why he wasn't indicating? And pointed out he only drifted after the turn was passed. He then pointed out I put myself in danger, he could have swerved or sh1t himself. I laughed a little as the latter would not be my issue. I pointed out that if he hadn't merged and put me in danger I wouldn't have had to react. He then said he didn't merge to which I pointed out that it was on camera if he wanted a copy. He then started on about he didn't know what had hit him, was it my foot or me or what was it. I showed him what I had done. He seemed satisfied but then had to repeat that I had put myself in danger. I firmly told him if he got out of the bus lane there wouldn't have been an issue. We parted with nowt more said.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

CramCycle wrote: »
    I hit a car this evening, with my hand. Not hard but hard enough. Cars flying up the bus lane and at a set of lights, he was clearly skipping traffic and as he took off he drifted slightly into the bike lane. I just lashed out and thumped the car. He looked around in confusion, I pointed at the driving lane and seen him pull over after a few words were mouthed. About 100m later he pulled back in and pulled into the galloping green lay off. I seen him do the walk around, check for damage etc. I stopped as he gestured to me and explained he was drifting into the bike lane. His opening retort was there was no bike lane :confused: When I queried it he told me I was putting myself in danger by undertaking, he could have been turning left. I asked why he wasn't indicating? And pointed out he only drifted after the turn was passed. He then pointed out I put myself in danger, he could have swerved or sh1t himself. I laughed a little as the latter would not be my issue. I pointed out that if he hadn't merged and put me in danger I wouldn't have had to react. He then said he didn't merge to which I pointed out that it was on camera if he wanted a copy. He then started on about he didn't know what had hit him, was it my foot or me or what was it. I showed him what I had done. He seemed satisfied but then had to repeat that I had put myself in danger. I firmly told him if he got out of the bus lane there wouldn't have been an issue. We parted with nowt more said.

If they come close enough for you to hit their car, they are WAY too close.

• Advertisement

I have no words for this a$$hole how little value can you place on someone else's life to pass like this and at that speed https://streamable.com/dmvu23 definitely well north of 80km/h probably north of 100km/h too :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

I have no words for this a$$hole how little value can you place on someone else's life to pass like this and at that speed https://streamable.com/dmvu23 definitely well north of 80km/h probably north of 100km/h too :mad:

Oh my fu(k

Are you able to get any part of the reg?

Vauxhall Insignia ... not to many imported

Not when he passed me I barely copped the make and model he was so fast, from a frame on the video its 10-D-130291 .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd say he gave the oncoming drivers a start too.

That's a bad one. Very bad. Absolutely no room for you to make a mistake or move to avoid a pothole or anything.
    Hopefully the gardai* get the driver on dangerous driving.
    Is that on the Moyglare Rd?

* I assume you are reporting it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

Not when he passed me I barely copped the make and model he was so fast, from a frame on the video its 10-D-130291 .

Definately it.....matches off the NCT website.

You need to report that

i'd say he gave the oncoming drivers a start too.

It was lucky they were so far over already hugging the grass on the other side the first guy would of seen him and me, the second and third probably didn't see both of us till he passed.

That's a bad one. Very bad. Absolutely no room for you to make a mistake or move to avoid a pothole or anything.
    Hopefully the gardai* get the driver on dangerous driving.
    Is that on the Moyglare Rd?

* I assume you are reporting it?

Yeah it's the Moyglare road along by the stud, I haven't decided on reporting I've reported 2 maybe 3 before and it has been a massive waste of my time, I never even got a call back for the bus who drove at me after I complained to him he past too close and the gardai have never once asked to see the footage even when I've had my laptop with me.

micar wrote: »
    Definately it.....matches off the NCT website.

You need to report that
    I'll see how I feel tomorrow it takes a stupid amount of time and as it occurred near Maynooth, Leixlip GS will forward me there, its part time station so trying to even make a complaint is near impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

I'll see how I feel tomorrow it takes a stupid amount of time and as it occurred near Maynooth, Leixlip GS will forward me there, its part time station so trying to even make a complaint is near impossible.

Ring TrafficWatch at least, only takes a few mins although would be better if you could report online with a written report and include video attachment/link if available but that's wishful thinking.
    TrafficWatch forward on your report to the station in charge and you'll at least get a call back. You can then decide whether it's worth your time making a written statement in the station but at least there will be a record of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

I'll come drive you myself.. that has to be reported! That person absolutely deserves to be held accountable for that driving.. there are no excuses to be made, it is absolutely reckless. The Cycliq is there for cases such as this.

It is frightening to be passed like that. Hope you are OK.

Traffic watch will send it to Maynooth, I'll go to Leixlip in person with it tomorrow and see what they say it happened so fast I honestly didn't realize how bad it was till I looked back at the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Technophobe

totally reckless...
    ..massive pita to report probably especially given your previous experience, but you might just save someone else that experience or worse...

First failed attempt to report at Leixlip a few mins ago, only civilians available as they have a large no of prisoners. I was given the choice to wait with no guarantee I'd be seen within the hour or come back later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭fat bloke

First failed attempt to report at Leixlip a few mins ago, only civilians available as they have a large no of prisoners. I was given the choice to wait with no guarantee I'd be seen within the hour or come back later.

Please, please persevere. That driver needs his comeuppance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Report it to TrafficWatch. Not a bike incident, but back in August we reported reckless driving and they did follow up a couple of times with us. They said the driver was known to them and they gave them a warning, they did give us the option of possibly going further - we declined and said warning was sufficient.

In hindsight, if I had dashcam footage of the incident I reckon we may have pursued it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭tobdom

And they've only just got the car, maybe they had to change it due to previous reckless driving..... brutal stuff altogether, glad you weren't harmed.

• Advertisement

That's gas I checked for a change of ownership last night and it wasn't there! I did some sums and he covered 200m in 6/7 seconds so that's 100-120km/h

*Edited link to show the actual distance here

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Steoller

I'll echo everyone saying go to Trafficwatch. Make it another item on the Superintendant's list of problems to fix.

The problem I've had with traffic watch is that they forward it to the local station who then assign it to a guard. You're then at mercy of their roster and availability on the last occasion the guard stood me up twice when arranging to give a statement then when I eventually did meet him he was supposed to be on break so couldn't get rid of me quick enough and then I never heard from him again. I left a couple of messages to get back to me but it never happened. I reckon I spent 5-6 hours on it and got no where other than loosing 3 evenings trying to give the statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

The problem I've had with traffic watch is that they forward it to the local station who then assign it to a guard. You're then at mercy of their roster and availability on the last occasion the guard stood me up twice when arranging to give a statement then when I eventually did meet him he was supposed to be on break so couldn't get rid of me quick enough and then I never heard from him again. I left a couple of messages to get back to me but it never happened. I reckon I spent 5-6 hours on it and got no where other than loosing 3 evenings trying to give the statement.

The last time I had an experience like that, I reported it to GSOC. It turned out the Garda had issued a penalty on the basis of my phone call and his talking to the driver, but he never took a statement from me and never rang me back.

I'm not saying that's what the Garda did here, but there are ways of correcting the kind of behaviour you've encountered.

That's gas I checked for a change of ownership last night and it wasn't there! I did some sums and he covered 200m in 6/7 seconds so that's 100-120km/h

*Edited link to show the actual distance here
    "Now then Mr. tnegun, I'd like to follow up on a serious matter that I see in that video of yours. Did you cross the county boundary when you were out cycling on your bicycle"

Possibly but I never put my foot down in Meath if it helps! In my defense I thought the road was the county border so was merely following it :o

Very positive outcome this evening. I went back to Leixlip and was seen straight away, the guard was sound and genuinely shocked/appalled by the footage. He took my statement and the stills I had printed plus watched the video at least 10 times to make sure all the details were captured. The whole experience could not of been better certainly has changed my perception of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,399 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse4.explicit.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.2Y6y5VdeGLeOT3zLLrn-eAHaHS%26pid%3DApi&f=1

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

any chance you'd put the steam back up , it's private at the moment . Thanks for reporting and credit to that garda

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i suspect he removed it because it's now with the gardai.

Advertisement