Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lisa Smith home.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Turkey may be locking up the ones they can't deport without trial, perhaps we should aspire to be more like Turkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

tuxy wrote:
    Turkey may be locking up the ones they can't deport without trial, perhaps we should aspire to be more like Turkey.

Na you're grand thanks, our political system is certainly dysfunctional at the best of times, but going full retard wouldn't be good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭piplip87

IMHO there is no difference between Lisa Smith and those who terrorised our nation for over 40 years.

We have experience with dealing with these types, those who maim and kill and provide support to terrorists.

What I do find funny is those who have supported the terror organisations in this country, on both sides of the conflict are those who are calling for her to be left stateless, yet campaign for those convicted of terror offences or political wings of terror orgs, here and in Britain to be elected to the Dail, Westminster or Stormont.

Now that she is back she should be charged and dealt with like the hundreds of other terrorists we have convicted in the past. She should spend the next 20 years behind bars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Notmything

treason and membership of a terrorist organisation......

So does this apply to all those members of the ira or other terrorist organisations on this island, some of whom were members of the dail? Or does it only apply to specific individuals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Berserker5

The IRA was built on the back of internment and jailtime

Whole sections of prisons in the UK being controlled by radicals

Money needs to be spent to combat this, that's the mistake the UK has made

• Advertisement

piplip87 wrote: »

Now that she is back she should be charged and dealt with like the hundreds of other terrorists we have convicted in the past. She should spend the next 20 years behind bars

Yes, should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. But where did this number of 20 years come from? Is there some kind of precedent for this? What is the maximum sentence for the crimes you believe she has committed?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Like Martin Callinan if he made such a claim against Maurice McCabe?
    You need some degree of evidence surely?
    A perfect example of why kneejerk reaction laws to hard cases are not a good idea.

osarusan wrote: »
    A perfect example of why kneejerk reaction laws to hard cases are not a good idea.
    Word of a Military intelligence/G2/ Garda Officer would be fine by me.

Maybe not Garda Officer then but I can't possibly see a situation where a member of the Irish Defence forces would abuse their power. Perhaps it's time for military law to apply to general citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,069 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

piplip87 wrote: »
    We have experience with dealing with these types, those who maim and kill and provide support to terrorists.

What I do find funny is those who have supported the terror organisations in this country, on both sides of the conflict are those who are calling for her to be left stateless, yet campaign for those convicted of terror offences or political wings of terror.

Tbf most people here dont I say, if anything it is other way around. Lot of SF heads wanting here back etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,069 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

To be fair and I criticise them a lot but I think Ireland (officials/Government)has dealt with decision rather Professionally and done right thing.

She is still a Irish Citizen. Lock her up if needs be once get to bottom of what she had done, but she should not be another Countries problem.

It was no won situation really anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Her legal rep Dara Macken making a fool of himself on RTÉ at moment.

He’s humming and hawing and basically making a pigs ear of her defense

Fooling nobody

Fast track legislation to adequately deal with the likes of this one should be rushed through ASAP

Fast track legislation to adequately deal with the likes of this one should be rushed through ASAP

Under current legislation what will happen to her?
    How far short does is fall of adequate?

tuxy wrote: »
    Under current legislation what will happen to her?
    How far short does is fall of adequate?

It’s far far far short of anywhere near adequate at the moment

It’s far far far short of anywhere near adequate at the moment

I don't doubt it but I'd like to know what the sentence may be if prosecuted just to know how far short it actually is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

Her legal rep Dara Macken making a fool of himself on RTÉ at moment.

He’s humming and hawing and basically making a pigs ear of her defense

Fooling nobody

Heard it - car crash interview at its finest, or if you prefer the Bart Simpson defence at its worst!

Everything that he claimed was immediately blown to pieces by the content of the recording that she freely gave to RTE some months ago!

Hopefully, that eejit isn't being funded by my taxes.

New legislation can't apply retrospectively, unfortunately.

If they try that one, her lawyer will win the lottery!

171170 wrote: »

Don't worry legal aid is only granted to those with average to low means. She's probably extremely wealthy so will not qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Don't worry legal aid is only granted to those with average to low means. She's probably extremely wealthy so will not qualify.

Legal Aid is open to everyone, it normally depends on what they are charged with which determines whether they get it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Should have only been allowed in the country to drop the kid off, then sent back to Syria, Turkey, or which ever place she fecked off to when she turned her back on Ireland, to face trial.

The child did nothing wrong, and should not be mixed up in it.

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote: »
    Legal Aid is open to everyone, it normally depends on what they are charged with which determines whether they get it or not.

Yes, only granted for charges the judge considers serious.
    I believe it can also be rejected for those that are extremely wealthy, multi millionaires. Probably not an issue as those people would want their own representation anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Should have only been allowed in the country to drop the kid off, then sent back to Syria, Turkey, or which ever place she fecked off to when she turned her back on Ireland, to face trial.

There wasn't going to be a trial, The Kurds wanted her gone.

And technically if there was a trial and she was found guilty and given some sort of sanction by the Kurds, she could arrive back into Ireland afterwards and not be charged with anything because of double jeopardy laws.

Mint Sauce wrote: »

The child did nothing wrong, and should not be mixed up in it.

We could have done an exchange with Turkey, we take whatever criminal they want to send here and they take Lisa. A Turkish serial killer would be a novelty and would be interesting to read about in the papers.

Like Martin Callinan if he made such a claim against Maurice McCabe?
    You need some degree of evidence surely?

If you remember back, hadn't Tusla listed him - erroneously - as a child abuser. If that was the basis of Callinan's claims then he may well have believed that credible evidence existed.

Don't worry legal aid is only granted to those with average to low means.

So that why Smirker Murphy TD got it! And there was I thinking that TD were well paid!

Maybe you mean average to low intelligence, in which case I can fully understand why Murphy got it - and why Smith definitely will too!

If you remember back, hadn't Tusla listed him - erroneously - as a child abuser. If that was the basis of Callinan's claims then he may well have believed that credible evidence existed.

Tusla filed those false claim at the high point where the Garda were extremely frustrated and embarrassed by his whistleblowing, coincidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Maybe not Garda Officer then but I can't possibly see a situation where a member of the Irish Defence forces would abuse their power. Perhaps it's time for military law to apply to general citizens.

The idea that anybody could be imprisoned solely on the word of anybody else (whatever position of authority they hold), without due process, is a terrible one.

osarusan wrote: »
    The idea that anybody could be imprisoned solely on the word of anybody else (whatever position of authority they hold), without due process, is a terrible one.

True but it is popular idea for many on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭mollser

Heard it - car crash interview at its finest, or if you prefer the Bart Simpson defence at its worst!

Everything that he claimed was immediately blown to pieces by the content of the recording that she freely gave to RTE some months ago!

I have no issue if her legal advisor is a bit clueless - I'd be more worried about her having a good legal rep who is intent, for whatever reason, on getting her off the hook.

• Advertisement

mollser wrote: »
    I have no issue if her legal advisor is a bit clueless - I'd be more worried about her having a good legal rep who is intent, for whatever reason, on getting her off the hook.

I'd be even more worried about legal aid that did not represent her to the best of his abilities. It would cause the case to collapse.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement