Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lisa Smith home.

Options
1464748495052»

Comments

Should this thread be closed now? Don’t want her case thrown out on a technicality.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,405 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Boggles wrote: »
    No but you were offering incorrect "legal expertise". And you want people to eat humble pie over theirs, but you ain't hungry it would seem.

I was saying what I would like to see happen.

Not posing and blustering as a legal authority

• Registered Users Posts: 39,747 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Dig up outta that large hypocrisy hole lad.

:pac:

Dig up outta that large hypocrisy hole lad.

:pac:

Plenty of humble pie for various deluded folk on this thread to go round

Cream or ice cream with yours sir??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

But why were you saying her citizenship should be removed when you knew it was a legal impossibility?
    That is deliberately propagating legal misinformation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

osarusan wrote: »
    I guess this is where the 'she just wanted to live in an Islamic state' defence is coming from.

Hopefully there's enough to pin something on her.

I wonder when she was abroad, did her family sent her money?

tuxy wrote: »
    But why were you saying her citizenship should be removed when you knew it was a legal impossibility?
    That is deliberately propagating legal misinformation.

It’s not legally impossible. Would ruffle a few feathers in the UN but worth it in this case

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I see some of the self appointed experts are still giving their two cents on the case.

People are genuinely curious about what would be required to have her punished. In the real world, charges are brought if there is enough evidence the suspect has actually broken the law. In other words, there has to a statute that can be pointed to and it must be demonstrated that it applies to the case.

That's how the real world works. Nonsense about wanting her locked up or hung from a tree or whatever might make posters feel better but it doesn't explain anything. Thinking people like to understand the details of how this person can be locked up within our legal system. She's not going to get locked up for the sake of it and she's not going to get hung from a tree. The only way she gets punished is through our legal system so it's perfectly natural for people to want to know what she can be charged with.

It’s not legally impossible. Would ruffle a few feathers in the UN but worth it in this case

isn't it only removal of naturalisation that there is legal framework for in this country?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,285 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It is legally impossible.

• Advertisement

It is legally impossible.

No it’s not. It would just require a constitutional change which I think would be passed easily.

Plenty of humble pie for various deluded folk on this thread to go round

Cream or ice cream with yours sir??

I don't require any, you can have a double helping though so you are hilariously trying to call out people multiple times all ready for something you have fully indulged in yourself..

Absolute parody. :pac:

I don't require any, you can have a double helping though so you are hilariously trying to call out people multiple times all ready for something you have fully indulged in yourself..

Absolute parody. :pac:

I’m not pompously predicting court and legal outcomes

I’m advocating certain positions

Note the difference.

But you knew that.

I’m not pompously predicting court and legal outcomes

I’m advocating certain positions

Note the difference.

But you knew that.

giphy.gif

No it’s not. It would just require a constitutional change which I think would be passed easily.

So it is legally impossible now. thank you for confirming that. Generally when we say something is impossible we are referring to the here and now not at some point in the future after making fundamental changes to the law. Also, it is not the constitution that stops us from doing it. it is a UN treaty that we are signatories to that prevents us from making somebody stateless. what was that about humble pie?

Impossible means not possible

I’ve given answers as to how a change could be possible

I’m ok for humble pie.

I’ll have a slice of winning argument cake though

So what your saying that anything is possible legally all it takes is a simple constitutional change? If constitutional changes were simple then you would have a point. But we all know the reality is that major changes usually take decades.
    Are you saying we start the process now and remove her citizenship in a few decades?

The point you are trying to make is that everyone is correct on their legal advice, it just requires completely changing the law.
    Great point!

Impossible means not possible

I’ve given answers as to how a change could be possible

I’m ok for humble pie.

I’ll have a slice of winning argument cake though

You weren't asked how a change could be possible. You were asked if it is possible. as in now, at this moment. you were also wrong about a constitutional change being required. and if a constitutional change was required it would make no difference in this case as we do not backdate laws. I'm struggling to find anything in your posts that was actually correct.

To be fair he is just a simple travelling sales man who gauges the public daily oddly enough on the sole topic of immigration.

He never claimed to be Matlock.

To be fair he is just a simple travelling sales man who gauges the public daily oddly enough on the sole topic of immigration.

He never claimed to be Matlock.

Not on the sole topic of immigration. Mainly topical issues of the day. Often political sometimes sports sometimes entertainment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭emo72

She's safer in prison. There's a small section of our society who would see any person wearing a burka or niqab, as possibly being Lisa Smith. And therefore possibly attacking them. I'm sure our Muslim sisters are delighted she's incarcerated. Safer for everyone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

So the posters who said she'll definitely get charged with something were right,and those who scoffed at that are wrong.

But yet the one's who said she'll not be charged are spinning left right and centre.

Why can't people just say, ok I was wrong.

Instead of bouncing around like kindergarten kid's unable to admit they are wrong.

You weren't asked how a change could be possible. You were asked if it is possible. as in now, at this moment. you were also wrong about a constitutional change being required. and if a constitutional change was required it would make no difference in this case as we do not backdate laws. I'm struggling to find anything in your posts that was actually correct.

So we can change the laws on citizenship without constitutional change? That’s even better news.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,763 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I understand charges have been made so locking this thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement